Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011122242 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 1207

A Case for Athiesim....

  1. #26
    special sauce RoyalewitCheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hudson
    Age
    38
    Posts
    264

    Re: A Case for Athiesim....




    best response




    i pray to Odin, Valhalla sounds cooler anyway

    0 Not allowed!

  2. #27
    "Plymouth's Fastest" BrianC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Plymouth, MA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    735

    Re: A Case for Athiesim....

    Quote Originally Posted by gadget View Post
    I find some of the comments on this thread really offensive.
    An Atheist can be generous, kind, honest and giving. Believing in an imaginary friend does not solve anything and it does not give you mystical powers. It just gives you an excuse to be lazy and not search out answers. I am not saying that if you believe in God you are lazy it just makes being lazy easier.
    For me, not believing in God was the lazy way out. It enabled me to make excuses for all my bad behavior and to claim that since there was no God, I could do whatever I wanted. To actually do the Work it takes to clean up one's spirituality is a lot harder than sitting back and theorizing about how life began and what it's purpose is. The very idea of a person rejecting God based on their own philosophy is a selfish, self-centered, and egotistic one. What that essentially says, is that "I am so smart, I can figure everything out on my own, and I don't need a God to make sense out of the Universe". I am guilty myself of taking that stance at one point in my life, but a person can only live without God for so long until either they, or an outside force convinces them that that route isn't really working. It takes some people longer than others, and some never get it, but it only hurts them in the long run. If you live your life according to your own will and not God's, chances are something important will be missing from your life. Take a look around and see the people who have God, and how much serenity they have and how things just work out for them, and then look at the people who act on their own will and try to force things that are not in God's will for them, and you can see that they are usually suffering. I'd go so far as to say that most mentally ill people, addicts, criminals, homosexuals, etc... are people who lack spiritual health. A country with no spirituality is a country that would not last very long. Just my opinion, and sorry if it offended you, but maybe you need to be offended.

    0 Not allowed!
    LRRS am #121

    "So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

  3. #28
    Shock you -jro-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    outside of Boston
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,201

    Re: A Case for Athiesim....

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    For me, not believing in God was the lazy way out. It enabled me to make excuses for all my bad behavior and to claim that since there was no God, I could do whatever I wanted. To actually do the Work it takes to clean up one's spirituality is a lot harder than sitting back and theorizing about how life began and what it's purpose is. The very idea of a person rejecting God based on their own philosophy is a selfish, self-centered, and egotistic one. What that essentially says, is that "I am so smart, I can figure everything out on my own, and I don't need a God to make sense out of the Universe". I am guilty myself of taking that stance at one point in my life, but a person can only live without God for so long until either they, or an outside force convinces them that that route isn't really working. It takes some people longer than others, and some never get it, but it only hurts them in the long run. If you live your life according to your own will and not God's, chances are something important will be missing from your life. Take a look around and see the people who have God, and how much serenity they have and how things just work out for them, and then look at the people who act on their own will and try to force things that are not in God's will for them, and you can see that they are usually suffering. I'd go so far as to say that most mentally ill people, addicts, criminals, homosexuals, etc... are people who lack spiritual health. A country with no spirituality is a country that would not last very long. Just my opinion, and sorry if it offended you, but maybe you need to be offended.
    :::slow clap::: wow, that was simply riveting. So, because you were a selfish godless bastard, everyone else who is atheist is just like you?? hahha good one! And on the other side of the coin....everyone who has God in their life are serene....oh really?? Have you ever picked up a history book? It would seem the people who claim they have God in their life (and on their side) are some of the most violent, malicious, evil people to ever have walked this earth. And your assertion that the people with the most problems/criminal records are probably lacking in spiritual health....did you read the statistic on religion within the prison population? or did you conveniently skim over that? You may argue "those people don't REALLY have God in their life"- well, who made you the judge? just because their version of God doesn't match up to yours, doesn't make them any less religious.

    and sorry to be offensive but....sounds like you needed a dose of your own medicine as well. Merry Christmas!!

    1 Not allowed!
    USCRA #555 - Formula CB
    http://jro555.tumblr.com/

  4. #29
    Lifer obsolete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norf Sho
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,978

    Re: A Case for Athiesim....

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    For me, not believing in God was the lazy way out. It enabled me to make excuses for all my bad behavior and to claim that since there was no God, I could do whatever I wanted. To actually do the Work it takes to clean up one's spirituality is a lot harder than sitting back and theorizing about how life began and what it's purpose is. The very idea of a person rejecting God based on their own philosophy is a selfish, self-centered, and egotistic one. What that essentially says, is that "I am so smart, I can figure everything out on my own, and I don't need a God to make sense out of the Universe". I am guilty myself of taking that stance at one point in my life, but a person can only live without God for so long until either they, or an outside force convinces them that that route isn't really working. It takes some people longer than others, and some never get it, but it only hurts them in the long run. If you live your life according to your own will and not God's, chances are something important will be missing from your life. Take a look around and see the people who have God, and how much serenity they have and how things just work out for them, and then look at the people who act on their own will and try to force things that are not in God's will for them, and you can see that they are usually suffering. I'd go so far as to say that most mentally ill people, addicts, criminals, homosexuals, etc... are people who lack spiritual health. A country with no spirituality is a country that would not last very long. Just my opinion, and sorry if it offended you, but maybe you need to be offended.
    You need someone watching over you to do the right thing? That's a bit childish.

    1 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

  5. #30
    "Plymouth's Fastest" BrianC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Plymouth, MA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    735

    Re: A Case for Athiesim....

    People in prison usually find God in prison. That is one of those "outside forces" that can make people re-think their stance on God. As far as people in history who claim to be religious and commit evil deeds, yes I would argue that they aren't really tapped into a spiritual life. Anyone can claim to believe in God, but to actually do the work and make the commitment to a spiritual way of life is a different thing entirely.

    By the way, I don't really care if someone believes or doesn't, and I'm definitely not some religion nut. I just want to voice an opinion that favors God and a spiritual way of life. And I'm bored and getting people fired up on a forum is good entertainment, hence the homosexual comment...

    0 Not allowed!
    LRRS am #121

    "So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

  6. #31
    Lifer obsolete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norf Sho
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,978

    Re: A Case for Athiesim....

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    People in prison usually find God in prison. That is one of those "outside forces" that can make people re-think their stance on God. As far as people in history who claim to be religious and commit evil deeds, yes I would argue that they aren't really tapped into a spiritual life. Anyone can claim to believe in God, but to actually do the work and make the commitment to a spiritual way of life is a different thing entirely.

    By the way, I don't really care if someone believes or doesn't, and I'm definitely not some religion nut. I just want to voice an opinion that favors God and a spiritual way of life. And I'm bored and getting people fired up on a forum is good entertainment, hence the homosexual comment...
    Way to be a good person...

    Calling incorrect information opinion does not make it anymore less incorrect. It's just mislabeling it.

    0 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

  7. #32
    "Plymouth's Fastest" BrianC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Plymouth, MA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    735

    Re: A Case for Athiesim....

    Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    You need someone watching over you to do the right thing? That's a bit childish.
    The "right thing" is something that I can't really be the judge of. I could do something that may not seem right to another person, but may be part of God's will for me. However, before I tried to make spiritual progress, I did a lot of things that "I" thought was right..., like getting drunk and having sex w/ as many girls as I could

    0 Not allowed!
    LRRS am #121

    "So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

  8. #33
    "Plymouth's Fastest" BrianC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Plymouth, MA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    735

    Re: A Case for Athiesim....

    Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    Way to be a good person...

    Calling incorrect information opinion does not make it anymore less incorrect. It's just mislabeling it.
    There's nothing incorrect about what I'm saying. The truth, God's word... that is what Atheists lack.

    0 Not allowed!
    LRRS am #121

    "So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

  9. #34
    Lifer Stromper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eastern Ct
    Posts
    3,211

    Re: A Case for Athiesim....

    Even if you think God is just the supreme boogeyman it for the most part a very useful tool in managing populations.

    If a baby pees in the Atlantic Ocean is it dirty? It is a cheap debaters trick to point to relatively small anecdotes to attempt to black wash entire things.

    Religion in peoples lives are a 99.99999999999999999999999999% good thing.

    Now get some good out of the real Chicken Little

    0 Not allowed!

  10. #35
    Lifer obsolete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norf Sho
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,978

    Re: A Case for Athiesim....

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    There's nothing incorrect about what I'm saying. The truth, God's word... that is what Atheists lack.
    There is a whole shit load wrong with what you are saying.

    0 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

  11. #36
    "Plymouth's Fastest" BrianC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Plymouth, MA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    735

    Re: A Case for Athiesim....

    Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    There is a whole shit load wrong with what you are saying.
    Maybe to someone who isn't honest w/theirself?

    0 Not allowed!
    LRRS am #121

    "So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

  12. #37
    Lifer obsolete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norf Sho
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,978

    Re: A Case for Athiesim....

    Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Religion in peoples lives are a 99.99999999999999999999999999% good thing.
    Yea it's great, you get this crap.

    ...mentally ill people, addicts, criminals, homosexuals, etc

    0 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

  13. #38
    Changes come butcher bergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    the humbling river
    Posts
    12,261

    Re: A Case for Athiesim....

    Nice thread ya have here, Dave.


    0 Not allowed!

  14. #39
    Rider. Just a rider... DucDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southern NH
    Age
    67
    Posts
    8,797
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by bergs
    Nice thread ya have here, Dave.

    Hi Paul!!! How ya doin?

    0 Not allowed!
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

  15. #40
    Administrator Frankenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Danville, NH
    Age
    43
    Posts
    10,739

    Re: A Case for Athiesim....

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    There's nothing incorrect about what I'm saying. The truth, God's word... that is what Atheists lack.
    Truth is subjective, and that's a fact.


























    0 Not allowed!
    -Josh || Forum Rules || Stop. Think. Post.

    "I brap with a clear conscience." - nhbubba

  16. #41
    Changes come butcher bergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    the humbling river
    Posts
    12,261

    Re: A Case for Athiesim....

    Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    Hi Paul!!! How ya doin?
    Loving this thread.


    0 Not allowed!

  17. #42
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    13,855
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

    Best thread this week.

    0 Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  18. #43
    Changes come butcher bergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    the humbling river
    Posts
    12,261

    Re: A Case for Athiesim....

    Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Best thread this week.
    Easily.

    Go Go Gadget blinders!


    0 Not allowed!

  19. #44

    Re: A Case for Athiesim....

    Here’s the deal; do you believe that “Rights” come from God or do they come from “Man”?

    If your rights come from a “Man”, they’re just as easily taken by another man.
    Your unalienable rights come from a higher power, whether you believe in God or not it is important to acknowledge your rights come from a higher power than man. This simple concept of “Rights” coming from a higher power along with a few others concepts (property rights) is responsible for what has made this country great.

    The “Progressives” trying to gain control of this country, to turn it into Europe with deodorant, want you to dismiss God.

    0 Not allowed!

  20. #45
    Rider. Just a rider... DucDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southern NH
    Age
    67
    Posts
    8,797

    Re: A Case for Athiesim....

    Quote Originally Posted by Kat_man View Post
    Here’s the deal; do you believe that “Rights” come from God or do they come from “Man”?

    If your rights come from a “Man”, they’re just as easily taken by another man.
    Your unalienable rights come from a higher power, whether you believe in God or not it is important to acknowledge your rights come from a higher power than man. This simple concept of “Rights” coming from a higher power along with a few others concepts (property rights) is responsible for what has made this country great.

    The “Progressives” trying to gain control of this country, to turn it into Europe with deodorant, want you to dismiss God.
    Sorry sport...but 'rights' are a social convention that comes from man. God is an invention of man created to try an put teeth into those conventions to scare people like you into obeying. And here's another news flash. Might makes right. Given the above, I'll take my chances with an person that can engage in a reasonable dialague on how we can live together rather than try and decipher what one of thousands of imaginary beings would have us do.

    ...please...stop provoking me. I should know by now that this pig ain't never gonna sing...

    1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by DucDave; 12-24-10 at 08:00 AM.
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

  21. #46
    Lifer oVTo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    North of Boston
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,197

    Re: A Case for Athiesim....

    Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    Sorry sport...but 'rights' are a social convention that comes from man. God is an invention of man created to try an put teeth into those conventions to scare people like you into obeying. And here's another news flash. Might makes right. Given the above, I'll take my chances with an person that can engage in a reasonable dialague on how we can live together rather than try and decipher what one of thousands of imaginary beings would have us do.

    ...please...stop provoking me. I should know by now that this pig ain't never gonna sing...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIQKjhW6Ti4

    Even after Pete the Singing Pig, I wouldn't expect anyone to change their mind on this topic. Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays to all!

    0 Not allowed!
    DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

  22. #47
    BMW track whore e30addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I93/495
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,848

    Re: A Case for Athiesim....

    “Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people who need strength in numbers.” - Jesse Ventura

    I always liked this quote, it gets the bible thumpers all stirred up

    0 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

  23. #48
    Lifer Stromper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eastern Ct
    Posts
    3,211

    Re: A Case for Athiesim....

    1st Amendment Text

    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

    Please study this

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

    See evin da dangn govmint nos dere is religion

    Progressive elites believing they are the most important beings in the firmament dismiss the thought that anything can exist superior to them, sounds like a matter of faith.

    The soviet inspired, always seem to lose the 2nd phrase
    "or prohibit the free exercise thereof" also please note the complete absence of the oft bandied "separation of church and state"

    curious curiouser

    0 Not allowed!

  24. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Providence,RI
    Age
    47
    Posts
    628

    Re: A Case for Athiesim....

    If my childhood was gods will for me I would like to meet him(or her) so I can punch them in the nose.

    0 Not allowed!
    Mike Green
    LRRS #450 novice
    http://www.mikegreensculpture.com
    '06 svx550
    '04 cr500 af le
    '04 525 smr
    '02 660 sms
    '01 drz 450 sm streetbike
    '99 r7
    '99 sv650
    '86 rg500

  25. #50
    BMW track whore e30addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I93/495
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,848

    Re: A Case for Athiesim....

    ^^ are you really that illiterate or are you just trying to be funny?

    0 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Similar Threads

  1. Cracked case
    By sully749 in forum General Bike Related
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-27-10, 01:21 PM
  2. PC case fan
    By Slyder in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-30-09, 07:04 PM
  3. Just in case you haven't watched it...
    By OreoGaborio in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-30-08, 07:01 AM
  4. In case of an accident....
    By DucDave in forum Rides & Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-27-07, 12:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •