Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Bowe Bergdahl

Re: Bowe Bergdahl

Quote Originally Posted by odduc View Post
    Did I stumble upon an immigration reform discussion?
    No, just a "if you are going to mindlessly blame a single party for anything, be prepared to defend your unsubstantiated position" discussion. I'm sure he'll return to posting links to dumb videos in short order.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

This is really getting ugly.

I am glad he's home regardless of circumstances and I hope the conditions of his capture are investigated and dealt with by the military.

All the rest is very troubling...

2 Not allowed!

I still stick by my statement, when was the last time you saw a report on the news about the problems at the VA since this story broke?

0 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    I still stick by my statement, when was the last time you saw a report on the news about the problems at the VA since this story broke?
    Meh, the headline news in the Globe is "NH man steals police cruiser, communities on lockdown."

Police say a call originally came in for a suicidal man on his roof. When police arrived on the scene, they saw the man had two guns and they moved to a safer position. The suspect then jumped off the roof and jumped into a Kensington police cruiser. He drove away only to return and steal a N.H. State Police cruiser. He then rammed into a Hampton Falls police car with the State Police car and then shot at officers. The suspect proceeded to back the cruiser into his house and then ran into the woods, officials say.
    Then after declaring a "Shelter in Place" order, mustering 75 police cars, a helicopter, and two "tactical units" they found him: back in his house.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

ADHD news, the modern version of "if it bleeds, it leads"

video with bright blinking lights makes better news than something we have to actually think about.

One thing I find interesting about the VA scandal is the lack of private health care providers stepping up. In each of these cities there are many hospitals that could have responded to the VA's ineptitude by opening pro bono clinics for veterans. Lets take a step beyond the hospital itself and look at the donors. I've had some family stuff going on that has had me in and out of MGH almost daily for a while now. Every building has a name on it; Yawkey this, Wang that, etc. Where is the big money donor who is willing to step up and say I want my name on a building dedicated to taking care of our veterans?

Remember, WE are the government. It gets no money except what it takes from us. The veterans did not serve the government, they served the people.

1 Not allowed!

I say blame Obamacare. Those vets got screwed because of government funded healthcare! Get rid of it all!

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    One thing I find interesting about the VA scandal is the lack of private health care providers stepping up. In each of these cities there are many hospitals that could have responded to the VA's ineptitude by opening pro bono clinics for veterans.
    That's come up in the discussions, the VA actually has a system in place to get vets to outside hospitals if the VA can't get to them quickly enough, built right into the program. They just didn't use that option.

1 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Bowe Bergdahl-google-image-jpg

0 Not allowed!

Court martial his ass. That's all.

1 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    That's come up in the discussions, the VA actually has a system in place to get vets to outside hospitals if the VA can't get to them quickly enough, built right into the program. They just didn't use that option.
    I am aware of that. I was thinking more about the private hospitals and their donors taking the initiative.

0 Not allowed!

There is more coming out.

he White House has told members of Congress they were kept in the dark about the deal to free Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl because the Taliban threatened to kill him if news of the prisoner swap leaked.
    US officials told senators they had no choice but to act swiftly and in secret in order to save the life of the 28-year-old soldier and secure his release after five years of captivity.
    The claim, made during a classified briefing, came as both Democrats and Republicans rejected the White House’s initial explanations for why it did not inform Congress about the decision to swap five Taliban leaders for Sgt Bergdahl, as required by US law.
    ....Which proves it was a good idea not to disclose it.

While not excusing his actions, an increasing number of Army officers seem to believe Bergdahl was mentally ill and perhaps should not have been deployed at all, as he might have further endangered his fellow soldiers. Apparently Bergdahl had gone for solitary "walks" for hours at a time previously, once while at the NTC and again on a previous mission.

A classified military report detailing the Army’s investigation into the disappearance of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl in June 2009 says that he had wandered away from assigned areas before — both at a training range in California and at his remote outpost in Afghanistan — and then returned, according to people briefed on it.
    There were also concerns about his mental and physical health. Whether he went walkabout or intended to desert, once captured by the Taliban he was under tremendous stress.

A video produced by his captors months earlier had shown him weak and dazed, and there was a growing fear that the Taliban — frustrated by the glacial pace of hostage negotiations — were beginning to rethink the value of continuing to hold an American prisoner.
    And many officers are dismissive of "We don't negotiate with terrorists" given that it conflicts with the Army's Creed of "I will never leave a fallen comrade." Their view is that the Army put Bergdahl there, and the Army was responsible for getting him out: even if he was not an effective soldier.

Gen. Raymond Odierno, the Army chief of staff, said in a statement Wednesday that the safe return of all soldiers in Afghanistan has always been a priority.

"We will never leave a fallen comrade behind," Odierno said. "Now that Sgt. Bergdahl is back and under our control, first and foremost we must ensure his health is taken care of and he is properly reintegrated."

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    And many officers are dismissive of "We don't negotiate with terrorists" given that it conflicts with the Army's Creed of "I will never leave a fallen comrade." Their view is that the Army put Bergdahl there, and the Army was responsible for getting him out: even if he was not an effective soldier.
    No conflict. We have an ARMY, use them to rescue the guy.

If you negotiate, you instantly tie value to kidnappings. Now the precedent has been set expect more of it. See Israel in their woes as an example.

2 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

I'm just going to guess you're not a veteran. Nothing good or bad meant by that, just a lack of perspective in your statement.

There is more coming out.

....Which proves it was a good idea not to disclose it.

While not excusing his actions, an increasing number of Army officers seem to believe Bergdahl was mentally ill and perhaps should not have been deployed at all, as he might have further endangered his fellow soldiers. Apparently Bergdahl had gone for solitary "walks" for hours at a time previously, once while at the NTC and again on a previous mission.

There were also concerns about his mental and physical health. Whether he went walkabout or intended to desert, once captured by the Taliban he was under tremendous stress.

0 Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dove View Post
    I'm just going to guess you're not a veteran

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    No, just a "if you are going to mindlessly blame a single party for anything, be prepared to defend your unsubstantiated position" discussion. I'm sure he'll return to posting links to dumb videos in short order.
    Your hard on is showing. Yet again.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by greenmonster; 06-06-14 at 08:29 AM.
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by TLRMan View Post
    Oh, I forgot to add, I charge double for Kawasaki's

"My God, you're gonna have to cool me down, give me an ice block to shove in my pants or something".
    -Barbecue Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    No conflict. We have an ARMY, use them to rescue the guy.

If you negotiate, you instantly tie value to kidnappings. Now the precedent has been set expect more of it. See Israel in their woes as an example.
    This, now that the exchange rate has been set at one to five. Very very bad decision, there's no way I'm not getting shit for saying this but how many people are going to die at the hands or plans of the 5 they traded for 1 alleged deserter? And how does that guy sleep at night?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

2 Not allowed!
    [/IMG][/URL]

beige camry attack mojobreakfast's Avatar

Bergdahl was naive at best and mentally ill at worst when he walked away
    I was thinking along the same lines. I'm not a vet; I'm sure they do psych screening when you enlist though? I wonder if there was something there that they missed. While it's easy to characterize this guy as a deserter, I think of deserters as guys who take their uniform off and hitchhike to the rear. Walking off, at night, into the hills of Afghanistan during active combat smells to me like someone mentally ill.

2 Not allowed!
    no bikes currently

I'm just going to guess you're not a veteran. Nothing good or bad meant by that, just a lack of perspective in your statement.
    From what I recall Garandman did have a career in the military.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by greenmonster View Post
    Your hard on is showing. Yet again.
    Just looked. My bad. I'll put it away. Don't want to get arrested for that again.

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Odd you think so, since I was quoting other sources, including currently serving officers, not my own opinions, but lets hear yours?

I'm right under the guidon. The guy right behind the sign is Robert Abrams, now Lieutenant General Abrams. We were on the same tank crew in AOBC. 7 of the 8 guys who started the class graduated, and the 8th guy got hit by a car after a patrol. Graduation rate is normally 44-50%.

In East Berlin, looking west through the Brandenburg Gate, 1984. The low white wall behind the gate is "Die Mauer." I was in 3rd Squadron, 7th Cavalry. 3rd ID.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 06-06-14 at 09:34 PM.

Odd you think so, since I was quoting other sources, including currently serving officers, not my own opinions.

I'm right under the guidon.
    Are you the one smiling?

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

IQ test for job options prior to enlisting, the "psych" eval is called basic training. Make it through and you've passed the psych eval.

0 Not allowed!

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

So, you were a soldier and you understand that these guys don't keep POWs. They kill you, film it and use it as propaganda.

Why did he get to live? He clearly was not a POW and for you to push his mental health as justification for retrieval confuses me.

0 Not allowed!