Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Bowe Bergdahl

Re: Bowe Bergdahl

These terrorists were never charged with a crime. Just FYI, as I'm sure you knew that. Also Bush released 500 detainees. Where was your angst then? You focus a lot on Obama, which you have a right to your opinion, however ignorant. You insult people like a child, which does very little to help your cause.

0 Not allowed!

Once again. Without changing the subject can you address what I said and tear it apart if you can???

0 Not allowed!
    May the road rise to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, May the sun shine warm upon your face.

If you want to go off about Obama releasing 5 for 1 start a new thread.

As for Bergdahl, I would have left him. You can't just "walk off" a military installation. It least not any of the ones I was on. "Sneak off" ok fine. So, if you drop all your shit and sneak off, so you can get pick up by god knows who, then fuck you.

There was no fucking way I would have gone out the gate without my platoon and I won't lie. I HATED being in Iraq, being blown up and shot at does that. But you know what, I wound not fuck my buddies like that. Plus we had a freezer with ice cream in it I could eat when ever I wanted.

1 Not allowed!
    Tim
    LRRS #44

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    I've asked three times for you to express your opinion, since you seem to have decided the matter. I want to hear more facts before voicing an opinion.

I'm sure it dawned on Bergdahl long ago that whatever suck his assignment was, he would have been out of the service and home years ago if he'd gone and visited the Chaplain instead of taking a walk.
    I don't have to eat the duck to know it's duck. I can tell by the walk.

0 Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Let's posit that he walked off his post.

Does it matter why?

One extreme is "no" he walked, we leave him.

The other extreme is to bring him back even if he gave the Taliban all our intel.

But there is a lot of ground in the middle to consider.

Does his mental state play into this? Are humans, even soldiers, permitted to break?

Does a mental collapse warrant lifetime exile in their hands?

Do his superiors bear any responsibility for missing the signs if there were any? Not legal, just human.

I think he deserved to be brought back and then dealt with inside the Army.

Whether I agree with the method of bringing him back as the one that accomplishes the mission with the least risk to American lives is probably a different thread.

The notion that Obama is the first to make a deal that gives us that "just threw up in my mouth a little" feeling is absurd.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    It is more about a leader that released 5 of America's worse enemies. These same enemies who are gonna kill some of us in the future. Who am I? That is a good question. But you shouldn't be asking me who I am. Where I came from. It is not about me. It is about someone of dubious background that you should have been asking him about where he came from. Let us see his college transcripts, etc. Why did you say this and that in your book Mr Obama? BTW you threw out the first insult. You got one back in your face. Did you expect less? This forum is labeled controversial for a reason. This is a forum for political ranting, discussion, arguments, and anything goes. I don't give a shit about parties and being disagreeable and liked in liberal circles of the beautiful people.
    Now get back to what I said. What exactly don't you agree with? Go ahead. Copy and paste it. Then pick it apart.
    I have no intention of arguing with a fucking dumbass Chicken Hawk who can't even spell or construct sentences. "America's worse enemies." Did you quit school in the eighth grade or something? Have your roommate proof read your posts next time.

Obama's popularity rating is now approaching GW Bush's at the end of his term. Even those who supported him have gone to ground. Totally not the point of how we got Bergdahl back. The Army wanted Bergdahl back.

Now that the five are out of Guantanamo, we can kill them. There is a better chance that you will learn to construct coherent thoughts than those five will be alive by December.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 06-09-14 at 09:08 AM.
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    I have no intention of arguing with a fucking dumbass draft dodger who can't even spell or construct sentences. "America's worse enemies." Did you quit school in the eighth grade or something? Have your mom proof read your posts next time.

Obama's popularity rating is now approaching GW Bush's at the end of his term. Even those who supported him have gone to ground. Totally not the point of how we got Bergdahl back. The Army wanted Bergdahl back.

Now that the five are out of Guantanamo, we can kill them. There is a better chance that you will learn to construct coherent thoughts than those five will be alive by December.
    Ftfy

0 Not allowed!

I'm saying leave him from my perspective. The guys he served with say he walk off. I'm taking that.

So now this shit bags walks off (he was probably a shit bag in every other aspect too) and my buddies and I have to make more trips out the gate to find this guy. Cool, I had to work harder to make up for him when he was here and now i have to go risk my life to find his dumb ass. Anyone would have known that wound happen so he did not care he was making more work for his buddies. 6 soldiers are killed looking for him. Fuck him.

His NCO's being responsible, do you really think they did not get shit for this? The PVT on gate duty would have gotten shit for this, the rest of his platoon would have gotten shit for this. If there were signs he was that messed up, then yes they should have sent that up. Maybe they did who knows. One this you can count on is his NCO's caught hell for it. I know some people would be put on suicide watch. Meaning if one guy claims he going to off himself 1-2 other guys get stuck watching him.

If he wanted out and was that messed up he could have gotten out. The were a few guys I was with the claim crazy. I would show up to formation wearing flip flops and 70's tiger strip camo. He did not go with us.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by timmyho414; 06-09-14 at 08:42 AM.
    Tim
    LRRS #44

I completely understand the leave him sentiment from people who have been in that position.

It may even be what he deserved.

But I do not think it is what we want to be.

0 Not allowed!

you could be right about that, it just seems trading like that is not good for everyone else. Granted its been done before so it doesn't set precedent but still...I hope Garandman is right about them being dead by December. That would set a much better precedent. Sure we'll let you go...

1 Not allowed!
    Tim
    LRRS #44

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    I completely understand the leave him sentiment from people who have been in that position.

It may even be what he deserved.

But I do not think it is what we want to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyho414 View Post
    you could be right about that, it just seems trading like that is not good for everyone else. Granted its been done before so it doesn't set precedent but still...I hope Garandman is right about them being dead by December. That would set a much better precedent. Sure we'll let you go...
    Not leaving one of our own behind, regardless of what they may have done, and the details of how he came back are two separate issues in my mind.

0 Not allowed!

lets just look at couple parts of the creed, not that he was a Ranger but that where the never leave someone behind comes from...

Never shall I fall my comrades I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong, and morally straight and I will shoulder more then my share of the task whatever it may, be one hundred percent and then some.

Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country, I shall defeat them on the field of battle because I am better trained and will fight with all my might. Surrender is not a Ranger word. I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy and under no circumstances will I ever embarrass my country.

okay so he missed a few of those. I would gladly go after a buddy who was captured. I would not have to be asked only given permission. That is because I know anyone of the others would do the same for me.

This guy...he knowingly put himself and everyone else into harms way.

0 Not allowed!
    Tim
    LRRS #44

I understand the sentiment of fuck him, he got what we deserved. It begs the question though, if he wasn't a service member and just Joe Blow citizen, don't we still have an obligation as a country to go get our own?

Again, the mechanics of how the trade happened are a separate issue.

0 Not allowed!

Oh, Joe Blow. depends.

If joe blow went to a known bad place and got picked up seems to me thats on him. I never understand the out cry of people who do that. Gee, I went to North Korea and now I'm in jail. No shit.

I would never go to a shit hole country because of it. Hell, I make a point to not bring anything that show military back ground(albeit a short one) when I travel just because I don't want the attention. And thats only Canada and Bermuda.

I DO like that way the pirates were handled when that had the ship caption. Bravo for that one.

0 Not allowed!
    Tim
    LRRS #44

Quote Originally Posted by timmyho414 View Post
    lets just look at couple parts of the creed, not that he was a Ranger but that where the never leave someone behind comes from...

Never shall I fall my comrades I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong, and morally straight and I will shoulder more then my share of the task whatever it may, be one hundred percent and then some.

Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country, I shall defeat them on the field of battle because I am better trained and will fight with all my might. Surrender is not a Ranger word. I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy and under no circumstances will I ever embarrass my country.

okay so he missed a few of those. I would gladly go after a buddy who was captured. I would not have to be asked only given permission. That is because I know anyone of the others would do the same for me.

This guy...he knowingly put himself and everyone else into harms way.
    Airborne, Ranger and Special Forces sign a waiver that says, basically, "You are going to operate behind enemy lines, and we might not be able to come get you." It is quite sobering. As a Paratrooper, he signed that doc. His thought processes didn't seem normal.

To my previous point that this opens up all options against the Taliban, retired USMC General Mattis said today:

The Taliban and other militants have lost their strategic trump card now that Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl has been released, retired Marine Gen. James Mattis said.

After Bergdahl was captured in 2009, top U.S. commanders in Afghanistan worried that he would be murdered in retaliation for military action against the Taliban and the Haqqani network, Mattis said during a Sunday appearance on CNN’s State of the Union with Candy Crowley.

“We no longer have that concern that they have this pawn they can then play against us,” said Mattis, former chief of U.S. Central Command. “So there‘s also a military vulnerability that the Haqqanis now face, that Taliban now faces because they no longer hold one of our U.S. soldiers in captivity. So, there’s also a freedom to operate against them that perhaps we didn’t fully enjoy so long as they held Bowe as a prisoner.”

...Mattis countered that U.S. troops can make sure the released Taliban leaders don’t live too long if they return to the fight.
    Military Times

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Gen. Mattis is always a good source for some truth and clear thinking.

Regardless of how Bergdahl ended up there, there was a strategic weakness in having him there.

0 Not allowed!

In the news today, Bergdahl declined to speak to his parents by phone.
    Another report says that he attempted to escape several times, and as a result was kept in darkness in a "shark tank" for weeks at a time.

The New York Times quotes military sources as say he has gotten a letter from his sister, but has so far declined to respond.
    He also does not have access to news media and does not know the political controversy that his release has caused in the U.S.
    Military officials are planning a re-union with his family at a medical facility in Texas, though they say he is not yet psychologically ready for such a reunion.

The Times reports that Sergeant Bergdahl has begun opening up about his ordeal to a team of doctors and psychologists that are caring for him.
    'It’s safe to assume he was held in harsh conditions. These are Taliban, not wet nurses,' one senior official said.
    Among the revelations is that he was locked in a shark cage for weeks at a time as punishment, military sources told the newspaper.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...oner-swap.html
    According to another article, in one of his escape attempts he was on the loose for three days before they found him, and fought a group of them before being dragged back.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 06-09-14 at 01:49 PM.

1. At some point he may have realized that a quick evening stroll through the hills was not such a bright idea and that the hills weren't populated by peace-loving but misunderstood Afghans.

2. Where would the Taliban get a shark cage and why would they need it? All I can think of is either "land shark" from SNL or the Shark Week, both of which indicate the Taliban has basic cable.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by SteveM; 06-09-14 at 02:00 PM.

So, the Taliban could find him when he was running around but we couldn't. That's nice.

0 Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

1. At some point he may have realized that a quick evening stroll through the hills was not such a bright idea and that the hills weren't populated by peace-loving but misunderstood Afghans.

2. Where would the Taliban get a shark cage and why would they need it? All I can think of is either "land shark" from SNL or the Shark Week, both of which indicate the Taliban has basic cable.

0 Not allowed!

I thought that's why we were secretly paying Halliburton to build a weather machine, so we could unleash a Sharknado on the Taliban.

0 Not allowed!

I thought that's why we were secretly paying Halliburton to build a weather machine, so we could unleash a Sharknado on the Taliban.
    I thought that was HAARP

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dove View Post
    I don't have to eat the duck to know it's duck. I can tell by the walk.
    Are you and Rambunctious related?

0 Not allowed!

I am a happy 4f er so never in the military

Legitimate question

If you were not currently ON DUTY like guarding or something can you desert
    If you walk off base and somehow get captured are you just AWOL then POW

I applaud or community organizer and chief as I am sure it all made sense from his perspective

0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    I applaud or community organizer and chief as I am sure it all made sense from his perspective
    So you don't mind what he might do as long as it "all made sense from his perspective" ????

0 Not allowed!
    Shit Corey says:
    Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    I think that a smooth motor would help me be a bit smoother