Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516

Concerned about U.S. future?

Dic on

Re: Concerned about U.S. future?

I sincerely hope that the Republican party has a thorough clean-out and rethink after Trump is gone (be it 2020 or 2024) and starts to boot out the old farts and get some young blood. Progressive, but not aggressively so. I think the supreme court has been destroyed for years to come and we will have case law and constitutional analysis decided on a Scalia bent with no Ginsberg foil to bounce it off. That's the biggest shame in all of this. It will further divide the country into the haves and the have nots. It will take a strong leader and a strong and unified house and senate to get us out of these dark days. The only way to do that is with a charismatic leader. Biden isn't that guy, but Harris might grow into the role.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Conservatives are that stubborn grumpy old man who found great success in life and thinks that everyone should follow the same path because in his eyes it's the only way to do it. He doesn't want change because things worked out so well for him the way they were. He has strong beliefs, isn't very open minded, and gets annoyed when people bother him. He's doing his thing, he's happy doing it, stop trying to screw it up. That's his perspective in a nutshell. Trump is his revenge against those who annoy him.

Meanwhile, progressives are the kid who just graduated from college. He's smart but hasn't figured out the adult world yet and struggles as a result. He refuses to accept the fact that simply starting a career/finding a profession will lead to a decent life. It's not in line with his youthful and unrealistic vision and he's angry about this. He whines and blames everyone and everything around him for his inflamed misfortunes. He wants change, not because it's better, because he doesn't want to adapt. The problem is he's smart and is able to mask his unwillingness to adapt in a manner that appears sophisticated, but in reality really is just whining. Trump is the bully and the focal point of his rage.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

To get back to the topic rather than ad hominem attacks, some judges are classified by others - or themselves - as "Originalists."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin...s%20adopted%22.

If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

ACB claimed to be, yet she couldn’t name the rights protected by it. It was a softball question from a Republican too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

fill-B

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by MysterySquid View Post
    fill-B
    I don't know if you or an admin removed the other posts, but your recent posts seem like you're just directing your anger at whoever is closest.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    To get back to the topic rather than ad hominem attacks, some judges are classified by others - or themselves - as "Originalists."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin...s%20adopted%22.
    I'm no expert, but the whole "originalist/textualist" philosophy fad seems nutty to me. Reminds me of Ayn Rand objectivism, sounds good when you are a freshman in high school, later on you realize how shallow and ridiculous it is. Originalists/textualists really struggle with historical context, as judges are not historians, and they end up cherry picking stuff to fit a particular view. For an originalist to agree with desegregation requires mental gymnastics at the Olympic level.

Back when the Supreme Court was a serious institution, they used to be really careful to pick judges with mainstream views. I think appointing Scalia may have been a mistake -- they had just gone through a huge six month battle as to whether to promote Rehnquist to chief justice, and then afterwards were sick of arguing and kind of rubber stamped Scalia in. Later they correctly rejected Bork, who was a sort of a super-Scalia. This new lady is supposed to be crazier than Bork.

In my mind they need to change the rules so that the justice is not approved by simple majority of the Senate, but by a 2/3 majority. It shouldn't be a competition of "let's see how crazy a person we can install in here."

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I don't know if you or an admin removed the other posts, but your recent posts seem like you're just directing your anger at whoever is closest.
    I removed them. I was feeling charitable.

PhilB proactively initiated, and angrily, attacked me for one of my posts for no particular reason other than he clearly has anger issues. I will derive amusement from him until I get bored of him.

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by joeswamp View Post
    It shouldn't be a competition of "let's see how crazy a person we can install in here."
    It shouldn't, but it is. The reason we have Trump and the reason we will have this new religious whacko is because by nominating her, they will "own the libs".

OXX

Quote Originally Posted by joeswamp View Post
    I'm no expert, but the whole "originalist/textualist" philosophy fad seems nutty to me. Reminds me of Ayn Rand objectivism, sounds good when you are a freshman in high school, later on you realize how shallow and ridiculous it is. Originalists/textualists really struggle with historical context, as judges are not historians, and they end up cherry picking stuff to fit a particular view. For an originalist to agree with desegregation requires mental gymnastics at the Olympic level.
    The exact same argument you present here could be stated from the opposite side of the fence.

I was always fascinated by the fact that we were never allowed to talk about Rand when I was in school. It was almost completely off limits. Sure, her philosophy was mentioned but kept to a very limited Scale. Anytime Rand came up in class discussions, it was quickly addressed and promptly dismissed. I agree it's ridiculous when you started drilling into it, but the same goes for many of the other philosophies we explored in far more depth.

That's because objectivism is really more of an ideology than an internally consistent philosophy. Rand wasn't an academic, she was an author of romantic novels. This was very clear to the academics who read her work.

Not all views are equivalent just because they're different. It's why most schools don't teach the Flying Spaghetti Monster theory of intelligent design.

Last edited by joeswamp; 10-21-20 at 05:14 PM.
    Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Quote Originally Posted by MysterySquid View Post
    I removed them. I was feeling charitable.

PhilB proactively initiated, and angrily, attacked me for one of my posts for no particular reason other than he clearly has anger issues. I will derive amusement from him until I get bored of him.
    <rolleyes> Proving you're as much of a lackwit as I thought. A rival to Rambunctous and G21forme in the sweepstakes. Yay for you.

PhilB

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Everybody to the limit!

Don't feed the troll, Phil. You're better than that.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    <rolleyes> Proving you're as much of a lackwit as I thought. A rival to Rambunctous and G21forme in the sweepstakes. Yay for you.

PhilB
    Your anger issues expressing themselves again I see...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Honclfibr View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Honclfibr View Post
    Well, although he's been a jerk for a while, he has only recently revealed himself as a genuine troll. I will indeed be disengaging in general, but I don't like to give up on having discussions with people unless/until the person in question really proves themself unworthy of having a discussion with.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Everybody to the limit!

Well, although he's been a jerk for a while, he has only recently revealed himself as a genuine troll. I will indeed be disengaging in general, but I don't like to give up on having discussions with people unless/until the person in question really proves themself unworthy of having a discussion with.

PhilB
    Oh sure, I get it. I was reminding myself as much as I was you

PhilB
    There are members that outright hate me and I still have discussions with them and there are times I say good point now that I think about it differently that makes sense. I do the same I like to think (gave you some thumbs up) it's the die hard try hard fighters I don't engage that have no interest in a conversation.

Last edited by G21forme; 10-23-20 at 04:04 AM.
    [/IMG][/URL]

I doubt hate is the appropriate term. You have shown the ability to stand corrected when new information is being presented to change your previous opinion.

It’s election season. Gunna be like this. Always has.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I doubt hate is the appropriate term. You have shown the ability to stand corrected when new information is being presented to change your previous opinion.

It’s election season. Gunna be like this. Always has.
    I foresee some olive branches being extended after the election. Reasonable people everywhere have to show the others the way. There will always be the people who treat it as the superbowl, but at the end of the day it is all of our lives and futures that we are voting on and whatever the outcome, we can't go the next 4 years waiting for "our guys" to get back in.

OXX

PhilB
    You revealed how naive you really are with your pretentious response to a post I had made a while back. YOU were proactively the jerk on that one when you didn’t need to be. I sense who the REAL assholes are pretty quick, and sometimes I stress test others incidentally just through discourse. In truth, there are very few people here I consider legit assholes. Less than 5 with you and honclfbr taking up two spots on that list.

Edit: I’d pick Rambo and G21 over you at the basketball court ANY DAY!

Last edited by MysterySquid; Yesterday at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    I foresee some olive branches being extended after the election. Reasonable people everywhere have to show the others the way. There will always be the people who treat it as the superbowl, but at the end of the day it is all of our lives and futures that we are voting on and whatever the outcome, we can't go the next 4 years waiting for "our guys" to get back in.
    Chip and I have been going at it Rocky style yet we can still bust balls in good fun (I think chip) volv and I disagree all the time, degs is a smart fucker but plays nice, SteveM corrects my grammar like my 8th grade English teacher etc. And all of that's great, we're just having a nice discussion. Sure balls are busted but at the end of the day I hope we can still be friends.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    [/IMG][/URL]

I am flattered you’re thinking about my balls, Greg.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.