Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516
Results 376 to 397 of 397

Concerned about U.S. future?

  1. #376
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,794

    Re: Concerned about U.S. future?


    I sincerely hope that the Republican party has a thorough clean-out and rethink after Trump is gone (be it 2020 or 2024) and starts to boot out the old farts and get some young blood. Progressive, but not aggressively so. I think the supreme court has been destroyed for years to come and we will have case law and constitutional analysis decided on a Scalia bent with no Ginsberg foil to bounce it off. That's the biggest shame in all of this. It will further divide the country into the haves and the have nots. It will take a strong leader and a strong and unified house and senate to get us out of these dark days. The only way to do that is with a charismatic leader. Biden isn't that guy, but Harris might grow into the role.

    3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  2. #377
    Lifer BSR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,028

    Re: Concerned about U.S. future?

    Conservatives are that stubborn grumpy old man who found great success in life and thinks that everyone should follow the same path because in his eyes it's the only way to do it. He doesn't want change because things worked out so well for him the way they were. He has strong beliefs, isn't very open minded, and gets annoyed when people bother him. He's doing his thing, he's happy doing it, stop trying to screw it up. That's his perspective in a nutshell. Trump is his revenge against those who annoy him.

    Meanwhile, progressives are the kid who just graduated from college. He's smart but hasn't figured out the adult world yet and struggles as a result. He refuses to accept the fact that simply starting a career/finding a profession will lead to a decent life. It's not in line with his youthful and unrealistic vision and he's angry about this. He whines and blames everyone and everything around him for his inflamed misfortunes. He wants change, not because it's better, because he doesn't want to adapt. The problem is he's smart and is able to mask his unwillingness to adapt in a manner that appears sophisticated, but in reality really is just whining. Trump is the bully and the focal point of his rage.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  3. #378
    Lifer Garandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorchester, MA / Mt Sunapee, NH
    Posts
    10,994

    Re: Concerned about U.S. future?

    To get back to the topic rather than ad hominem attacks, some judges are classified by others - or themselves - as "Originalists."

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin...s%20adopted%22.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

  4. #379
    Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    5,881

    Re: Concerned about U.S. future?

    ACB claimed to be, yet she couldn’t name the rights protected by it. It was a softball question from a Republican too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    CCS/LRRS #83

  5. #380
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    550

    Re: Concerned about U.S. future?

    fill-B

    -1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #381
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol County
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,278

    Re: Concerned about U.S. future?

    Quote Originally Posted by MysterySquid View Post
    fill-B
    I don't know if you or an admin removed the other posts, but your recent posts seem like you're just directing your anger at whoever is closest.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

  7. #382
    Lifer joeswamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Swampscott, MA
    Posts
    1,094

    Re: Concerned about U.S. future?

    Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    To get back to the topic rather than ad hominem attacks, some judges are classified by others - or themselves - as "Originalists."

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin...s%20adopted%22.
    I'm no expert, but the whole "originalist/textualist" philosophy fad seems nutty to me. Reminds me of Ayn Rand objectivism, sounds good when you are a freshman in high school, later on you realize how shallow and ridiculous it is. Originalists/textualists really struggle with historical context, as judges are not historians, and they end up cherry picking stuff to fit a particular view. For an originalist to agree with desegregation requires mental gymnastics at the Olympic level.

    Back when the Supreme Court was a serious institution, they used to be really careful to pick judges with mainstream views. I think appointing Scalia may have been a mistake -- they had just gone through a huge six month battle as to whether to promote Rehnquist to chief justice, and then afterwards were sick of arguing and kind of rubber stamped Scalia in. Later they correctly rejected Bork, who was a sort of a super-Scalia. This new lady is supposed to be crazier than Bork.

    In my mind they need to change the rules so that the justice is not approved by simple majority of the Senate, but by a 2/3 majority. It shouldn't be a competition of "let's see how crazy a person we can install in here."

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

  8. #383
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    550

    Re: Concerned about U.S. future?

    Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I don't know if you or an admin removed the other posts, but your recent posts seem like you're just directing your anger at whoever is closest.
    I removed them. I was feeling charitable.

    PhilB proactively initiated, and angrily, attacked me for one of my posts for no particular reason other than he clearly has anger issues. I will derive amusement from him until I get bored of him.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #384
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,794

    Re: Concerned about U.S. future?

    Quote Originally Posted by joeswamp View Post
    It shouldn't be a competition of "let's see how crazy a person we can install in here."
    It shouldn't, but it is. The reason we have Trump and the reason we will have this new religious whacko is because by nominating her, they will "own the libs".

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  10. #385
    Lifer BSR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,028

    Re: Concerned about U.S. future?

    Quote Originally Posted by joeswamp View Post
    I'm no expert, but the whole "originalist/textualist" philosophy fad seems nutty to me. Reminds me of Ayn Rand objectivism, sounds good when you are a freshman in high school, later on you realize how shallow and ridiculous it is. Originalists/textualists really struggle with historical context, as judges are not historians, and they end up cherry picking stuff to fit a particular view. For an originalist to agree with desegregation requires mental gymnastics at the Olympic level.
    The exact same argument you present here could be stated from the opposite side of the fence.

    I was always fascinated by the fact that we were never allowed to talk about Rand when I was in school. It was almost completely off limits. Sure, her philosophy was mentioned but kept to a very limited Scale. Anytime Rand came up in class discussions, it was quickly addressed and promptly dismissed. I agree it's ridiculous when you started drilling into it, but the same goes for many of the other philosophies we explored in far more depth.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #386
    Lifer joeswamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Swampscott, MA
    Posts
    1,094

    Re: Concerned about U.S. future?

    That's because objectivism is really more of an ideology than an internally consistent philosophy. Rand wasn't an academic, she was an author of romantic novels. This was very clear to the academics who read her work.

    Not all views are equivalent just because they're different. It's why most schools don't teach the Flying Spaghetti Monster theory of intelligent design.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by joeswamp; 10-21-20 at 05:14 PM.
    Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

  12. #387
    Lifer PhilB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Pittsfield, NH
    Age
    57
    Posts
    3,116

    Re: Concerned about U.S. future?

    Quote Originally Posted by MysterySquid View Post
    I removed them. I was feeling charitable.

    PhilB proactively initiated, and angrily, attacked me for one of my posts for no particular reason other than he clearly has anger issues. I will derive amusement from him until I get bored of him.
    <rolleyes> Proving you're as much of a lackwit as I thought. A rival to Rambunctous and G21forme in the sweepstakes. Yay for you.

    PhilB

    -1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

  13. #388
    Everybody to the limit!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Winchester, MA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    6,790

    Re: Concerned about U.S. future?

    Don't feed the troll, Phil. You're better than that.

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #389
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    550

    Re: Concerned about U.S. future?

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    <rolleyes> Proving you're as much of a lackwit as I thought. A rival to Rambunctous and G21forme in the sweepstakes. Yay for you.

    PhilB
    Your anger issues expressing themselves again I see...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Honclfibr View Post
    Don't feed the troll, Phil. You're better than that.


    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  15. #390
    Lifer PhilB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Pittsfield, NH
    Age
    57
    Posts
    3,116

    Re: Concerned about U.S. future?

    Quote Originally Posted by Honclfibr View Post
    Don't feed the troll, Phil. You're better than that.
    Well, although he's been a jerk for a while, he has only recently revealed himself as a genuine troll. I will indeed be disengaging in general, but I don't like to give up on having discussions with people unless/until the person in question really proves themself unworthy of having a discussion with.

    PhilB

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

  16. #391
    Everybody to the limit!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Winchester, MA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    6,790

    Re: Concerned about U.S. future?

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    Well, although he's been a jerk for a while, he has only recently revealed himself as a genuine troll. I will indeed be disengaging in general, but I don't like to give up on having discussions with people unless/until the person in question really proves themself unworthy of having a discussion with.

    PhilB
    Oh sure, I get it. I was reminding myself as much as I was you

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  17. #392
    Lifer G21forme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lakes
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,721

    Re: Concerned about U.S. future?

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    Well, although he's been a jerk for a while, he has only recently revealed himself as a genuine troll. I will indeed be disengaging in general, but I don't like to give up on having discussions with people unless/until the person in question really proves themself unworthy of having a discussion with.

    PhilB
    There are members that outright hate me and I still have discussions with them and there are times I say good point now that I think about it differently that makes sense. I do the same I like to think (gave you some thumbs up) it's the die hard try hard fighters I don't engage that have no interest in a conversation.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by G21forme; 10-23-20 at 04:04 AM.
    [/IMG][/URL]

  18. #393
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    20,308

    Re: Concerned about U.S. future?

    I doubt hate is the appropriate term. You have shown the ability to stand corrected when new information is being presented to change your previous opinion.

    It’s election season. Gunna be like this. Always has.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  19. #394
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,794

    Re: Concerned about U.S. future?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I doubt hate is the appropriate term. You have shown the ability to stand corrected when new information is being presented to change your previous opinion.

    It’s election season. Gunna be like this. Always has.
    I foresee some olive branches being extended after the election. Reasonable people everywhere have to show the others the way. There will always be the people who treat it as the superbowl, but at the end of the day it is all of our lives and futures that we are voting on and whatever the outcome, we can't go the next 4 years waiting for "our guys" to get back in.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  20. #395
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    550

    Re: Concerned about U.S. future?

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    Well, although he's been a jerk for a while, he has only recently revealed himself as a genuine troll. I will indeed be disengaging in general, but I don't like to give up on having discussions with people unless/until the person in question really proves themself unworthy of having a discussion with.

    PhilB
    You revealed how naive you really are with your pretentious response to a post I had made a while back. YOU were proactively the jerk on that one when you didn’t need to be. I sense who the REAL assholes are pretty quick, and sometimes I stress test others incidentally just through discourse. In truth, there are very few people here I consider legit assholes. Less than 5 with you and honclfbr taking up two spots on that list.

    Edit: I’d pick Rambo and G21 over you at the basketball court ANY DAY!

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by MysterySquid; Yesterday at 10:58 PM.

  21. #396
    Lifer G21forme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lakes
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,721

    Re: Concerned about U.S. future?

    Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    I foresee some olive branches being extended after the election. Reasonable people everywhere have to show the others the way. There will always be the people who treat it as the superbowl, but at the end of the day it is all of our lives and futures that we are voting on and whatever the outcome, we can't go the next 4 years waiting for "our guys" to get back in.
    Chip and I have been going at it Rocky style yet we can still bust balls in good fun (I think chip) volv and I disagree all the time, degs is a smart fucker but plays nice, SteveM corrects my grammar like my 8th grade English teacher etc. And all of that's great, we're just having a nice discussion. Sure balls are busted but at the end of the day I hope we can still be friends.

    3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    [/IMG][/URL]

  22. #397
    Lifer Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    the fairest of havens
    Age
    41
    Posts
    13,862

    Re: Concerned about U.S. future?

    I am flattered you’re thinking about my balls, Greg.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •