Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

my county makes english official language

Cabarrus County adopts English as official language 7:17 AM

07:18 AM EST on Tuesday, January 23, 2007

By TONY BURBECK / WCNC
    E-mail Tony: TBurbeck@WCNC.com

CABARRUS COUNTY - English is now the official language of Cabarrus County.

Monday was a tale of two resolutions. The first would have eliminated Spanish from Cabarrus County rules, regulations and paperwork. The second urges churches to teach English classes--it passed 4 to 1.

The Register of Deeds is still the Registrador de Escritas.

Tax payments are also pago de empuestos. The video camera in use is still camera de video en uso. Cabarrus County's signs in Spanish aren't going away and neither is its paperwork, manuals and advertisements. That's what Commissioner Coy Privette wanted.

"The more we put crutches out there providing everything in their language, that will become an excuse and alibi never to have to learn English, Privette said.

Instead, adopting English as its official language came with "what's the point?" - even from Latinos "I haven't met one person who disputes English is the official language of this county, one speaker said. "I do think it feels good, said Commissioner Grace Mynatt.

A move some say is more symbolism than substance with little to no effect, except wasting time. "To pass a resolution just to pass a resolution with no merit other than it makes us feel good, I think we're going down the wrong path, said Commissioner Jay White. He voted against it. Commissioners say the point of "English only" is getting Latinos more involved in the community, both socially and economically.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/...e.dd340ad.html

0 Not allowed!
    David King | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

im all for it, but they need to go all the way with it.

0 Not allowed!
    David King | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin