Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

View Poll Results: Do you think driving is either a right, or a privilege

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's a privilege

16 64.00%
  • Yes, it's a RIGHT

5 20.00%
  • Regardless, it's an obnoxious phrase

4 16.00%
  • bemused

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Driving is a privilege, NOT a right...

privilege.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

Littering and........

I say it is a constitutional right that has been handed over to a bunch of administrative fucktards called DMV.

When taking away that "privilege" in a society where we almost have to drive in order to work has such great consequences, its definitely a right...

If we all lived and worked in our home towns, it would be a different story, but sure as shit ain't no way I am riding a pedal bike on my fairly necessary (that is if I want to eat, sleep under a roof, etc) 26 mile each way commute. (been there done that, and 26 miles in the snow sux monkey ballz)

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

take the bus or the train....

I wish i had the honor of taking away peoples driving privies....:

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

I believe it is a right. But I think they should implement new laws. Such as having elderly people pass another test every once in a while, to make sure they can still drive safely on our roads. Same goes for youngsters. And any people that might be sucseptible to cause accidents such as handicaps, deafs, etc.

Oh and women too.

To be honest...I'm not sure where I stand with this sentence.

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Originally posted by SEVENSGT
    take the bus or the train....

I wish i had the honor of taking away peoples driving privies....:
    Oh yeah, that works. If I did that when I lost my license, it would have taken longer than the 2 hours each way it took me to ride my bicycle...

I did that, and it took 2.5 hours each way to go 26 miles (an average of about 10mph). If I rode my bike I could do it in 2 flat most of the time (avg 13 mph). If I didn't go at all, I would have lost my job because a dickhead cop decided to write me for 3 offenses at once, and even though I challenged all and won em all, the RMV (unaccountable to ANYONE or ANY COURT) still suspended me for 30 days...

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Lifer

The so called free market is responsible for our dependence on cars.

Why should the government then make sure we can all drive?

Privelege. You want to keep it, you play the game.

Originally posted by benVFR
    Privelege. You want to keep it, you play the game.
    The game has the deck stacked against you when the RMV can't be held accountable for arbitrary action.

Originally posted by The KING
    a suspension isn't a suspension unless you get caught.

or hand in your license, I swear I'll never do that again

I'm actually kind of surprised you didn't get around this. When in a situation like that, it's worthwhile to get your license in another faaaaar away State. Although, I'm sure the electronic "dragnet" has been closing those "gaps"...
    Yup, almost worthwhile. Soon I will have my license in a far away state where the RMV won't have access to my record so they can gasp in horror every time my name comes up for a possible suspension

Littering and........

Vermont doesn't have anything for public transport; if I didn't have a car up here, I would have no way to support myself. Its different if you live somewhere with a good public transportation system; but taking it away from people is taking their right to earn a living up here.

Also, as hohum says, its fucked up that they dont answer to anybody. Apparently the concept of due process doesn't apply to them.

Littering and........

This is exactly why it's up to you to not get caught.
    Its a good point you have; however, DLS in Vermont is a one year jail sentence. Not worth fucking with.

ever thought of getting an international driver's license out of the UK or something? or, one in the US, I wonder how feasible that is...
    Best bet for COMPLETE impunity on US roads is to buy yourself a citizenship on one of the Carribean islands that allows you to do such things for "investment" *cough* purposes.

That starts at around $100K disposable income, but you are totally free from racking up all kinds of insurance points or anything... basically can't be tracked. I've looked into it

Originally posted by highsider
    Vermont doesn't have anything for public transport; if I didn't have a car up here, I would have no way to support myself. Its different if you live somewhere with a good public transportation system; but taking it away from people is taking their right to earn a living up here.

Also, as hohum says, its fucked up that they dont answer to anybody. Apparently the concept of due process doesn't apply to them.

why no way, there aren't any jobs near you( oh that's right it's vermont) I forgot

Edit...

Look at it this way, if you don't drive and can get an okay job close to home, then you save on GAS, INS, AND CAR PAYMENT, that is easily over $600 a month......

Littering and........

why no way, there aren't any jobs near you( oh that's right it's vermont) I forgot

Edit...

Look at it this way, if you don't drive and can get an okay job close to home, then you save on GAS, INS, AND CAR PAYMENT, that is easily over $600 a month......

Yes, but as you said, ITS VERMONT - there is nothing close. I work about 5 miles from home, but there is no public transportation, and you wont catch my ass walking to work on the side of a snowy ass road in the dead of winter. I'd get run over in about .02 seconds.

Littering and........

Edit...

Oh yes, I almost forgot - FUCK YOU!!!!

Look, I didn't get my DL until I was 20, I went to CCRI for 2 years, and worked 2 jobs, 1 was 4 miles away and 2 was 2 miles away, I walked and took the bus for those 2 years in all kinds of weather(never missed a day) if a lazy fuck like me can do it then anybody can

Oh and FUCK YOU TOO BEEITTTCCCHHHH

Littering and........

Look, I didn't get my DL until I was 20, I went to CCRI for 2 years, and worked 2 jobs, 1 was 4 miles away and 2 was 2 miles away, I walked and took the bus for those 2 years in all kinds of weather(never missed a day) if a lazy fuck like me can do it then anybody can

Oh and FUCK YOU TOO BEEITTTCCCHHHH

Yeah, but the point is you had the bus for an option, and work that was close enough. Vermont has neither.

Bizneeeeeacth!!!!!!

Littering and........

doesn't vermont have like a public mule or something you can use?

No, but they should. That would be sweet. I'd ride the mule around all day while drunk

well yeah but, the job that was 2 miles away wasn't worth taking the bus, and I worked one job after the other so I then walked from the 2 mile job to the 4 mile job, then at 1am no buses were running so I had to hoof it back home.... I only used the bus a couple of times for work, usally it was for school that was 25 miles away..... With the little pay I was making I didn't have any bills and I had some nice things.....(i used to get my balls busted cause I would be walking around with a cell phone, and people would say look at the dumbass with a ----now this is the funny part---- CAR-PHONE waling around with no car.... AHH to be young again

Littering and........

well yeah but, the job that was 2 miles away wasn't worth taking the bus, and I worked one job after the other so I then walked from the 2 mile job to the 4 mile job, then at 1am no buses were running so I had to hoof it back home.... I only used the bus a couple of times for work, usally it was for school that was 25 miles away..... With the little pay I was making I didn't have any bills and I had some nice things.....(i used to get my balls busted cause I would be walking around with a cell phone, and people would say look at the dumbass with a ----now this is the funny part---- CAR-PHONE waling around with no car.... AHH to be young again
    You were much more ambitious in college than me

I used to bitch about the buildings being too far apart between classes.......

Originally posted by highsider
    You were much more ambitious in college than me

I used to bitch about the buildings being too far apart between classes.......

I used to take the bus from providence to kingston(about an hour) just to drink with my buds

Dic on

Originally posted by hohum
    Best bet for COMPLETE impunity on US roads is to buy yourself a citizenship on one of the Carribean islands that allows you to do such things for "investment" *cough* purposes.

That starts at around $100K disposable income, but you are totally free from racking up all kinds of insurance points or anything... basically can't be tracked. I've looked into it
    If you have an address in MA and you are not a student visiting the state to study, you MUST have a MA license within 30 days of being in the state, reagrdless of if you have a license from another state or not.

Oh, and Joe, those international licenses are nothing more than a card with your picture on, they don't mean anything. They're an internet scam.

derek

"Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Dic on

Not if you get them in Lithuania... I believe you can get them in the US too for driving abroad... I knew a girl from Germany that had one...
    OK Joe.

It's a scam. there is NO SUCH THING as an international driving licence. Think about it (and try to remember that the US is not the world police and the center of the universe for a change)
    If you want to drive in the US, you must have a driving licence from the US. If you live abroad and want to drive in the US, you must have a driving license from an approved country and you must obtain a US driving license within 30 days, even if you are on vacation here.

Joe, I could easily go and get a UK driving license (in fact, I have one). Do you think that if I got caught DUI with it that they could suspend it? Of course they cannot. I would be arrested and charged with driving without a license and Felony DUI.

What do you think a state trooper would say if you handed him your lithuanian-issued international driving license? He would arrest you for driving without a license.

How about insurance? Great! All you do is pop over to Lithuania, pick up your international driving license and you never ever have to be insured again because they can't put any points on your license because there is no reciprocation with Lithuania. Come to think of it, you can speed, park anywhere you like and crash into people without fear of prosecution right? WRONG...DUH!

I thought you were an intelligent guy Joe, but the "Lithuanian International driving Licence" thing seems to have really got past your natural suspiciousness.

"Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Lol, see I think Joe misunderstood my last post.

See the idea is not to have an international driving license its actually to have a DIPLOMATIC license. A diplomatic driving license is issued as a courtesy to diplomats of various countries (much like a US army license). Its actually a federal license issued by the US Department of State.

It used to be that such things were 'available' to those with sufficient means... as per my previous post... approximately $100K a year, plus an "investment" contract for citizenry in a highly "suspect" carribean nation. While this was at least possible when I last investigated this many years back, I really don't know if the situation is the same after 9/11. I would highly doubt such loopholes are still open.

Edit:
    I've seen a few of these diplomatic licenses, both held by the children of 'very important people' and they weren't diplomatic licenses from where they were from (germany and japan), they were both from weirdo little carribean nations... And they both got away with '' close to murder on the road. I can only assume those with the extraordinary means were at one point able to get such things.

Last edited by hohum; 10-21-04 at 09:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast