Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Election 2016 - The Day After and beyond

Election 2016 - The Day After and beyond

We've got an election poll and separate Trump and Hillary threads. The election is over, so perhaps it's time to pull together in one place.

A few early thoughts,

Americans wish every President success and hope for them to grown in stature and wisdom.
    Americans fight for their beliefs, within our system, and continue to make their voices heard regardless of temporary swings in power.
    America over the long term is a right-centrist nation and should be able to find a balance of economic prosperity, personal liberty and national security.

One bright Trump spot is that I do not believe he is beholden to the evangelical right.

I do not accept the premise that this election proves America is a racist nation. I believe there is a lot more "live and let live" in this nation than some believe. But I also believe that when huge swaths of the nation have been gutted and left behind by what coastal elites see as economic progress and those Americans feel their economic lives threatened, that the response begins to be to look at what "the other" group is getting and that's when things turn mean.

Bill Clinton got elected on "It's the economy, stupid." and I think we saw a lot of that last night. If our prosperity as a nation can become less centralized among coastal white elites (yes, that is me!) and more broadly spread through the country, I believe this rising and even tide will lift all boats and a lot of the divisiveness between groups will subside.

I do not believe that governmental redistribution of wealth can accomplish that, although the super rich (which is definitely not me) could pay more taxes. We need more good jobs here and if a little protectionism leads to higher prices for domestically produced goods and services, then I think that's reasonable.

In some ways our endless thirst for cheap consumer goods and the Wal-marting of America has helped cause the economic problems that help the Wal-marts of the world set record profits every quarter.

enough for now, flame on...

0 Not allowed!

Re: Election 2016 - The Day After and beyond

I don't even know where to begin. So I'm gonna go for a ride and find some peace.

1 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I don't even know where to begin. So I'm gonna go for a ride and find some peace.
    I voted for HRC but that ended yesterday. Today is about finding a way to to the best we can with where we are now.

1 Not allowed!

If my Facebook feed is any indication most of the die hard left is going to need more than a few hours before "uniting" as Americans.

2 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

The left is taking it pretty hard, just the same as the right did over the past years. I'm sure as we progress into the new leadership Trump will be able to do nothing correctly to some just as Obama could not satisfy many in his terms. It is very indicative of the society we live in. No one knows how to lose. I quit playing "adult" sports as it could never be for fun, always got aggressive and I don't need to be insulted by people that can't accept they didn't bring their A game that day. Things do not get done right in our .gov anymore because people cannot accept outcomes and move forward with the idea of working together. One side always has to make it difficult for the other side. Going across the aisle now means going over to kick the other guy in the crotch, not work to advance a solution. It is really a screwed up situation, us vs them. United we stand, divided we fall. Our own egos are going to be the death of us.

3 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    If my Facebook feed is any indication most of the die hard left is going to need more than a few hours before "uniting" as Americans.
    If my facebook feed is any indication, the exact opposite is true.

2 Not allowed!

I'm admittedly pissed off right now. Knowing that policy is dictated much more in Congress than the White House helps to balance the anger, but I'm extremely concerned with an electorate that was largely capable of absolute indifference to bigotry, misogyny, and racism. It defies all reason.

7 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

GOP controlled House, Senate and WH.

They have been promising so much and blaming everything on the Dems for so long. Now they have the complete power, it's time to put their money where their mouth is. "FIX" everything. Go ahead. Good luck, dipshits!

9 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    my FB feed all the women are lamenting what to do with their pant suits

3 Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    GOP controlled House, Senate and WH.

They have been promising so much and blaming everything on the Dems for so long. Now they have the complete power, it's time to put their money where their mouth is. "FIX" everything. Go ahead. Good luck, dipshits!
    Wasn't the logic that if Hillary won it was the republicans fault for putting up such a shitty candidate? Can't we blame democrats for Trump?

I know it doesn't work that way because anyone who didn't vote for her is a fucking racist, etc. The butthurt today is amazing...

3 Not allowed!

yes that is my point to most of my "freinds" Dems just lost to a complete fucktard. what does that say about candidate?

0 Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Well

tomorrow is another day

The job of the spread of world wide communism is never done

Perhaps some where there is another child of Saul Alinsky who can take up the fallen standard

0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post

One bright Trump spot is that I do not believe he is beholden to the evangelical right.
    I agree with that. I'll also add another bright spot for those feeling down today: our first lady is finally going to be a super fucking hot milf.

2 Not allowed!

If I disagree with Hillary I'm a misogynist. If I disagree with Trump I'm a libtard. Where's the discourse? The end result is a divided country, each side with their shit candidate, completely unwilling to listen to logic of any kind.

Balanced, unbiased news no longer exists, and I suppose we could argue over whether it ever did. Fact is, though, it's worse now than it was 10-15 years ago. Most Americans form their opinions from Facebook (dogshit) or worse yet, "news" sites that willfully make up stories to drive clicks for ad revenue. When presented with contradictory FACTUAL information people are far too likely to ignore it and go on believing whatever suits them. I don't know how to fix that and I feel like it has a LOT to do with where we're at right now.

It's hard to believe that we now have more information than we've ever had yet all we use it for is ranting to people who already believe what we believe... And cat videos.

8 Not allowed!

Do you have any new cat videos?

1 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    our first lady is finally going to be a super fucking hot milf.
    Really???!!!

As a Bernie supporter I'm hoping that the similarities between his and Trump's populist "beliefs" will come to fruition WITHOUT the anti-worker anti-labor side, although I'm not very optimistic considering the pervading right-to-work climate. And, I pray health and a long life to all the current supreme court justices to help cover the rest...

How thick and opaque is the bubble the DNC hierarchy lives in though?? WTF??

2 Not allowed!
    Hyper

I have the best cat videos, believe me. Nobody has better cat videos. Everybody's talking about it.

5 Not allowed!

For me, it was about TPP

0 Not allowed!
    Johnny

Its an Italian bike...Ive had (have?) a few

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I'm admittedly pissed off right now. Knowing that policy is dictated much more in Congress than the White House helps to balance the anger, but I'm extremely concerned with an electorate that was largely capable of absolute indifference to bigotry, misogyny, and racism. It defies all reason.
    Because you're only seeing one side. It's not necessarily that people are indifferent to bigotry, misogyny, and racism. For a lot of people, it was a judgement that bigotry, misogyny, and racism are less critical to them than corruption and warmongering.

PhilB

5 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    ...less critical to them than corruption and warmongering.
    How the fuck does his business record not qualify as "corruption"?
    How the fuck does going on national TV and screaming "I would bomb the SHIT out of 'em!" not qualify as "warmongering".

I'm still looking for the upside here. Best I can do is "anti establishment". Gooooooo anarchy! Yay! Super excited...

2 Not allowed!

I've been pretty quiet politically. I'm very independent an can agree with both parties depending on the issues. I'm not thrilled the GOP got the house, the senate, and the presidency... but I'm not all that surprised either. I've always had my choice when I go to vote, but always considered both candidates at least qualified, regardless of how their views align with my own. What bother's me is having an unpredictable reality TV star and a retired runway model in the WH though. I just expect that position to require a certain level of professionalism and maturity that I don't believe will be met, at all. I don't know what that will translate to over the next four years, and that scares me.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by RyanNicholson; 11-09-16 at 01:27 PM.

It has been said that the office changes the person. Let's hope it's true.

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    How the fuck does his business record not qualify as "corruption"?
    How the fuck does going on national TV and screaming "I would bomb the SHIT out of 'em!" not qualify as "warmongering".

I'm still looking for the upside here. Best I can do is "anti establishment". Gooooooo anarchy! Yay! Super excited...
    I happen to agree that they are both corrupt, lying, sociopathic warmongers. But I was not talking about me (who was not OK with either set of flaws, and voted against both of them); I was talking about people's reasoning and judgement. Your claim was that this shows people to be indifferent to Trump's flaws, without acknowledging that Hillary's flaws are equal in scope and magnitude, and thus miss the possibility that the election of Trump does not mean what you said it means.

Clinton's corruption and warmongering are facts of record. Trump's corruption was less of an issue in this election, and his warlike blustering, while bad, is at this point still just talk. Hillary has killed thousands; Trump is just a wannabee. We'll see if he meant it (and for that matter, if he meant anything he said about anything, or if it was just his approach to selling the snake-oil). I'm open on the question of whether he will turn out to be worse than Hillary would have been, or not quite as bad.

PhilB

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by PhilB; 11-09-16 at 01:28 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    In general i'm ok with bigotry , misogny and racism ( in verbal talk only, i've used colorful language in the past, 2 nights ago in the future as well)... so long as you get the job done and have the exp to back it up. he doesnt

0 Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    More worried about my job than I was yesterday.
    Now get back to work, before you get fired.

3 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast