Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Election 2016 - The Day After and beyond

Re: Election 2016 - The Day After and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    So the reason Athol is a shithole is __________.

Go ahead. Fill in the blank. My wife teaches the kids of those workers, and those of the unemployed masses. I'd love to hear your take from the experiences of your youth.

- - - Updated - - -

There is some truth to that.
    The reason Athol and Orange are struggling is because the manufacturing jobs that lined the river went away LONG before you or I were around. Death spiral from then on.

With regards to Starrett Tools, they should be commended for staying when everyone else left.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    I'm not even a Trump supporter, I just wanted to challenge the pro-anti-trump rhetoric but it predictably dived into a shitshow...and a conversation about Starrett tools.
    It's a view into the reasons why he was elected. Towns like Athol, Fitchburg, Greenfield, etc etc. Towns that once had a rich manufacturing economy and now have fallen on hard times. Towns that are vast majority uneducated white blue collar.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    The endorsement is interesting, but is it possible people are putting too much weight behind it? I mean, since when do we care what crazy people think? It's like saying some homeless conspiracy ranter at the bus station endorsed some candidate. So what?
    Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    It didn't fit the narrative. Like a newspaper headlining an accusation, and then printing the correction/retraction at the bottom of page 5 -- Trump didn't denounce it fast enough to beat the pounce of the first headlines, and anything that happens after that is off the radar.

Again, note that I am not in any way defending the prejudices he did express, and the awful things he did in fact say. I note, however, that his detractors haven't been entirely scrupulous, either.

PhilB
    In any case there are plenty of other things to call him out on.
    With all that being said, his chief policy advisor and strategist choice of Steven Bannon is pretty fucking scary to me. Mike Pence is pretty shitty, this this motherfucker here.....
    tell me how this isn't bad for us.

Also Since trump was saying that he was all for "law and order" in the last week or so it has been a pretty bad week to be a cop, 6 were killed and 2 more badly wounded, Yet no conservatives are talking about this because the preps don't fit the narrative. Can't blame black lives matter on this one, yet the blue lives matter people, its been crickets out of them all week.

Nobody is knocking their methods, but Trump's.

He says he wants to force these companies to bring manufacturing back.

With a respectable company like Starrett, don't you think they would if it was in the best interest of their business? As you said, they should be commended for staying, even if it's only 1/3 of the workers it used to be. But with nationalist/populist policies being thrown around by the Trump administration, what sort of options do you think Starrett has moving forward if Trump (somehow, without violating law) gives those promises some teeth?

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

You realize you're the driving force in taking it there, right? Obviously not entirely responsible, which is why I said driving force.
    I got tired of seeing the same people say the same thing and added a little spice to today's soup. You can have the mic back tomorrow.

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Lifer

If he tariff's inbound consumer products from outside labor countries enough, then it could economically make sense to pay Americans to manufacture again. But it effectively has the same drawback as raising the minimum wage. It'll be such a drastic shift, no matter what you believe of expected result, that things will probably not be good for a little while. Cost of goods will go through the sky while the US labor force tries to re-assemble.

nedirtriders.com

Which, in turn, encourages other countries to impose a tariff on US manufactured products. Further down the downward spiral we go.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Biggest dog on the block wins, right?

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    With all that being said, his chief policy advisor and strategist choice of Steven Bannon is pretty fucking scary to me. Mike Pence is pretty shitty, this this motherfucker here.....
    tell me how this isn't bad for us.

Also Since trump was saying that he was all for "law and order" in the last week or so it has been a pretty bad week to be a cop, 6 were killed and 2 more badly wounded, Yet no conservatives are talking about this because the preps don't fit the narrative. Can't blame black lives matter on this one, yet the blue lives matter people, its been crickets out of them all week.
    Regarding cops...I'm seeing lots of chatter on it?

Regarding Trumps law and order comments.....He's stated he thinks stop and frisk is a good idea. In that light it's not surprising there is an uptick in violence against law enforcement right now. He certainly didn't help that situation.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Or, everyone loses.

Capitalism works well, but it needs to be global. Protectionism and capitalism typically fail because it stifles innovation from external sources, which is a major causation for advancement.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Well ... tough? That's the way it is at the time. I do think immigration should be simplified so those that want to be here for the right reasons can be ... BUUTTTT the laws the law now. I have zero sympathy for people who brag about breaking the law getting caught up in that now. Same way the dipshits speeding and wheelieing and posting shit on youtube, I don't feel sorry for them at all either. If you do things on the low, and keep your head down, odds are you may not get caught and everyone moves on their merry way. But if you are open about it, and brag about it, or do something stupid to get caught, well, that's on you.
    Sure, keep your head down, and you might be OK. But you're still under the constant threat of having your family forcibly broken up. And you can't get a drivers license or insurance and be legal about that. Etc. Lots of stupid consequences of stupid laws, when the great majority of them just want a shot at earning a better life, just like all of our own ancestors did, when they came here before the system was so fucked up.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

stop and frisk was unconstitutional as fuck if you were a young black guy in an urban area. why do we get no say when people are actually being harassed by law enforcement that is supposed to serve and protect. but when the even the though of anything second amendment is involved, the word its unconstitutional gets thrown around and pro-2a usually wins out. Its a shitty double standard.

Also the guy that ambushed the Iowa cops was a crazy racist son of bitch, that was targeting the cops, but it seems all the usual talking heads have been a quiet as a church mouse

Last edited by jhawley; 11-15-16 at 03:55 PM.

Interesting enough Canada takes about a year to process and charges considerably more than $250 in fees. They don't exactly just take anyone either. The U.S. may have a lengthy and laborious process, but it irks me when people make it seem like the U.S. is the bad guy and every other country in the world is oh so welcoming.

I seem to recall there's a laundry list of requirements for people in the U.S. to immigrate to Panama and retire for example.

Ironically, I'm sure part of the reason a lot of these celebrities who said they're leaving haven't is that other civilized countries have immigration laws just as strong as ours. The big difference is that they enforce them more and do so quietly.
    The point isn't what other countries do. THIS country was founded for the purpose of being different from other countries, with a hope of being a more free country that respects people's individual rights. We've missed the boat on doing that in lots of ways, but done pretty well in other ways. I want this country to live up to its ideals, to aspire to actually become a free country. Pointing to less free places and saying "they're less free, so we should be, too" is the wrong approach.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises

I talked about a snapshot in time of current variables. It appears to me that you're talking about perceived outcomes. 1's and 0's versus abc's.
    You (or your bullshit meme) talked about single instances that don't in any way come close to making up for everything else he has said and done.

If you mug a bunch of people, and then give a few bucks to a homeless guy, that doesn't make you suddenly not a mugger.

PhilB

... Enlighten me, what's a better marker for overall market health? One single marker, what's better?
    Wrong question. There is no single marker; the economy is WAY more complex than that.

PhilB

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    tell me how this isn't bad for us. ...
    I'm right with you there. Bad medicine.

PhilB

You guys are a bunch of Athols.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / Mad Scientist Moto / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / GMD Computrack Boston / Knox / Moto Pizza
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2007 Kawasaki EX650

If he tariff's inbound consumer products from outside labor countries enough, then it could economically make sense to pay Americans to manufacture again.
    The World Trade Organization might have something to say about this...

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    The World Trade Organization might have something to say about this...
    It was off-the-cuff hypothetical and not something I'm advocating. But for the sake of discussion I'd assume if something like that occurred, there would be exemptions for medical supplies among other things. It'd get interesting when a hospital uses Chinese-made iPads to do their rounds. Now they need a special exemption to buy the ipads from china without paying the tariff. See: Ways to build a bureaucracy.

nedirtriders.com

It was off-the-cuff hypothetical and not something I'm advocating. But for the sake of discussion I'd assume if something like that occurred, there would be exemptions for medical supplies among other things. It'd get interesting when a hospital uses Chinese-made iPads to do their rounds. Now they need a special exemption to buy the ipads from china without paying the tariff. See: Ways to build a bureaucracy.
    I realize that. The point I was getting at was kind of made by someone else in the thread:

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu
    With a respectable company like Starrett, don't you think they would if it was in the best interest of their business?
    IMNSHO, one of the most pernicious threads in modern society is "[to] maximize shareholder value". In order for Wall St. to be happy, Starrett need to make their revenues high and their costs low. To do that, they (like every company of size) offshore whatever they can. It isn't as simple as just "zomg he's gonna bring the jobs back!11", of course, but it seems surprisingly hard to convince people of that.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    I do not accept the premise that this election proves America is a racist nation. I believe there is a lot more "live and let live" in this nation than some believe.
    I believe the racists are coming out in droves.
    KKK is in Milford: KKK newspaper appears in Milford
    Kindergarten children in Utah: “You’re going back to Mexico,” Kindergarten students being bullied after election | KFOR.com
    KKK celebrates in North Carolina: Ku Klux Klan announces Trump victory parade in North Carolina | WGN-TV
    Natick home receives 2 racist letters of threat: Natick home receives 2 threatening racist letters – Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News

These assholes do not represent me or any Americans I personally know, but they sure are strong in numbers and coming out as if it's all of a sudden, in style.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    GOP controlled House, Senate and WH.

They have been promising so much and blaming everything on the Dems for so long. Now they have the complete power, it's time to put their money where their mouth is. "FIX" everything. Go ahead. Good luck, dipshits!
    I have one economic message for Trump; FIX REAGANOMICS.
    Start with Apple.
    Let them bring their Irish money back here, but invest it in developing iPhone manufacturing in the US. Economists were saying it would only add $5 to $10 per iPhone to do it.
    Give em the tax break to make it worth while, but hold them to benchmarks.
    Do it.
    Fix it.
    Now.

Using the power of government to "target" any individual company (i.e. Apple) is just as bad as using the power of the of government to to promote individual or specific companies.

It's all of the worst of crony capitalism. The more we put the government in charge of deciding the winners the more we allow the people with money to win. I'm sure Samsung would be very supportive of your proposal. That doesn't make it reasonable.

Yes. Let's constrain a company's manufacturing process but hold them to benchmarks and a fixed cost.

There's an "iron triangle" that you're missing...

You can have it good.
    You can have it fast.
    You can have it cheap.

Pick any 2.... Bugger off on the 3rd.

Just as bad to allow the government to dictate how much or how little people should earn.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by commuter View Post
    I believe the racists are coming out in droves.
    KKK is in Milford: KKK newspaper appears in Milford
    Kindergarten children in Utah: “You’re going back to Mexico,” Kindergarten students being bullied after election | KFOR.com
    KKK celebrates in North Carolina: Ku Klux Klan announces Trump victory parade in North Carolina | WGN-TV
    Natick home receives 2 racist letters of threat: Natick home receives 2 threatening racist letters – Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News

These assholes do not represent me or any Americans I personally know, but they sure are strong in numbers and coming out as if it's all of a sudden, in style.
    I don't view it as much different than when airplane crashes were hot news. The news does a great job at feeding whatever the current fear is, making it feel suddenly more common. Obviously this case is compounded by the recent election.

We're a nation of 320 million people. If only 0.01% of the population is an active, willful racist, that's 32,000 people. That's plenty of people to be spreading their brand of hate at this opportunistic time. They were there the whole time.

nedirtriders.com