Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Election 2016 - The Day After and beyond

Re: Election 2016 - The Day After and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I don't view it as much different than when airplane crashes were hot news. The news does a great job at feeding whatever the current fear is, making it feel suddenly more common. Obviously this case is compounded by the recent election.

We're a nation of 320 million people. If only 0.01% of the population is an active, willful racist, that's 32,000 people. That's plenty of people to be spreading their brand of hate at this opportunistic time. They were there the whole time.
    It's all perspective. The 0.01% is very hopeful on your part. But it's not real. I have Black coworkers who have seen rises in racism, as well as a Black nephew in rural Kentucky who's family is about to head north. 5 key takeaways about views of race and inequality in America | Pew Research Center

0 Not allowed!

How bout dat weed, tho?

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by commuter View Post
    It's all perspective. The 0.01% is very hopeful on your part. But it's not real. I have Black coworkers who have seen rises in racism...
    You have black coworkers whom CLAIM to see a rise in racism. I'm certainly not saying racism isn't alive, but how do your coworkers quantify their claim?

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    You have black coworkers whom CLAIM to see a rise in racism. I'm certainly not saying racism isn't alive, but how do your coworkers quantify their claim?
    The read that in the news, of course.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by commuter View Post
    It's all perspective. The 0.01% is very hopeful on your part. But it's not real. I have Black coworkers who have seen rises in racism, as well as a Black nephew in rural Kentucky who's family is about to head north. 5 key takeaways about views of race and inequality in America | Pew Research Center
    I intentionally said 'active, willful racist' because I'm not trying to talk about what might be called institutional racism. There's a big difference between someone who joins/supports the KKK and someone who is suspicious of someone based on their race. A big difference between racial relations, economic and social equality, and subscribing to the believes of the klan.

Either way, I think you're kinda supporting my point that it's a big country with many people. It only takes a small percentage of us to make up a large number of racists. 1% is 3.2M people who could be sending out KKK newspapers. But it's still 1 in 100 of us. And really, I'd be surprised if it was that high.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

I've been mistakenly identified to people I've met as "Puerto Rican" or (and this one is even funnier since it's always whispered) "ethnic".

It's alarming to see the difference in how someone treats you when they think you are "one of them" vs "oh, you're just a hairy french canadian? Bonjour!". And these are what I thought of at the time as non-racist well meaning people.....

The best is working with black guys in IT. It's comical at best and can make for some fun ways to embarrass vendors/clients/etc if your dark friend has a good sense of humor.

2 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I'll be curious to see how fast, and IF, the mainstream media picks this up....

BREAKING: Officer Indicted For Manslaughter of Philando Castile

2 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    I'll be curious to see how fast, and IF, the mainstream media picks this up....

BREAKING: Officer Indicted For Manslaughter of Philando Castile
    CNN - Breaking News, Latest News and Videos

BBC - Homepage

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by jeantarrou; 11-16-16 at 01:47 PM. Reason: added BBC...
    Hyper

I don't view it as much different than when airplane crashes were hot news. The news does a great job at feeding whatever the current fear is, making it feel suddenly more common. Obviously this case is compounded by the recent election.

We're a nation of 320 million people. If only 0.01% of the population is an active, willful racist, that's 32,000 people. That's plenty of people to be spreading their brand of hate at this opportunistic time. They were there the whole time.
    I intentionally said 'active, willful racist' because I'm not trying to talk about what might be called institutional racism. There's a big difference between someone who joins/supports the KKK and someone who is suspicious of someone based on their race. A big difference between racial relations, economic and social equality, and subscribing to the believes of the klan.

Either way, I think you're kinda supporting my point that it's a big country with many people. It only takes a small percentage of us to make up a large number of racists. 1% is 3.2M people who could be sending out KKK newspapers. But it's still 1 in 100 of us. And really, I'd be surprised if it was that high.
    I see what your saying, but when that is reversed, the actions of a few change the whole perception of a large number of people. Muslim and Black America would like to have a word with you regarding how that works out.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by jhawley; 11-16-16 at 03:34 PM.

My two cents is that's its the unknown about the guy (Trump).
    What I fear most about him is his bromance with Putin. I don't like vodka and Russian is not a easy language to learn.
    The fact that he refused to release his tax returns and what's hiding in there just bothers me just a tad.
    Oh and the alt right guy that's his top adviser make me wonder where this is all going? Not that the black guy yelling and screaming at me Trump trump trump in Springfield last Friday has me worried either. Other then that all's well.
    At least with Hillary you knew what to expect or at least had a good guess. This is going to be a crazy ride so hold on...

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by MUZ720; 11-16-16 at 07:50 PM.

The thing about all these "racist" events, is I'm so jaded, I immediately think they fake (which some have proven to be), or they're someone just trying to get a rise out of people, especially in schools. I don't think most of these people are overly racist, just assholes and that's the easiest way to get under peoples skin these days.

0 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Posting Freak

How about this e-mail I received the day after the election from a 19 year-old female Pakistani co-op student on my staff? Good enough for you? Also wanted to tell you about something. Yesterday morning while walking to office, I was stopped by two guys on Mass. Ave and they started screaming profanities at me and told me to go back home if I want to stay safe. I feigned confusion and pretended I don’t understand English so they left after some time. I did not share this in office because I did not want to scare the others, but I am still a little concerned about my safety now. I reported it to the police and am travelling by MBTA instead of walking.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    The thing about all these "racist" events, is I'm so jaded, I immediately think they fake (which some have proven to be), or they're someone just trying to get a rise out of people, especially in schools. I don't think most of these people are overly racist, just assholes and that's the easiest way to get under peoples skin these days.
    No, they're probably racist and assholes. Are they members of the klan? Probably not but if that is our metric of being racist we kinda have a problem.

1 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
    How about this e-mail I received the day after the election from a 19 year-old female Pakistani co-op student on my staff? Good enough for you? Also wanted to tell you about something. Yesterday morning while walking to office, I was stopped by two guys on Mass. Ave and they started screaming profanities at me and told me to go back home if I want to stay safe. I feigned confusion and pretended I don’t understand English so they left after some time. I did not share this in office because I did not want to scare the others, but I am still a little concerned about my safety now. I reported it to the police and am travelling by MBTA instead of walking.
    These guys existed before Trump won and they still would have existed if Clinton won.

They might feel emboldened by a Trump win now but the attitude was always there.

The question I have is are we better off to flush these people out now and deal with them or should we just ignore them and let them simmer on the back burner longer? Which is the lesser of two evils?

Locally there has already been backlash with people like these. Nationally, in WV of all places, the mayor was forced to resign over her comments. It's hard to address a problem if we won't stare it in the face.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 11-17-16 at 09:15 AM.

I have felt one of the things that created a Trump victory has been the PC movement. People have been silenced by it and the pendulum is swinging the other way. Trump was a direct antidote to PC censored speech.

I get it. Not for racial reasons, but I think we as motorcyclists face some of this censorship. PC movement doesn't exactly accept dirt riding or motorsports in general. This extends to meat eaters, hunters, etc. etc. It touches a lot of people this feeling of being shamed for your lifestyle, passion, hobby, even career. There is a feeling that it's time for someone to break that barrier and allow people to have views that go against the PC grain.

Unfortunaltely, this includes racism, sexism, and a host of other ugly things that the PC movement has tried to silence. Trump baited all those people as well. I think his appointments and actions continue to fuel that fire. That's a little scary as he doesn't need to do that anymore. He won. If he were not racist, he could drop them like a hot coal and move on. He is not doing that so far.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

You'll always have racism, there is no way around it. How you deal with it on a national, local, and personal level is what is going to define us as a people moving forward. The population has been told time and again that Trump is a racist and supports racist actions throughout his campaign. Now that he is elected these people are coming forward with a feeling of victory and reinforcement. Until we as a people, on all levels, denounce these actions and continue to show that they are not accepted in this society, they will continue at large. But sadly, on some level, they will always occur.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
    I wonder if she could just tell people she was raised in England or Monaco. Maybe anyone dumb enough to act like that won't know what to feel. Can she get a taser in MA? Might make her feel a little better when out and about.

I'm baffled that people here can think like that. Just some random person walking down the street. For all they know, she's a tourist visiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I have felt one of the things that created a Trump victory has been the PC movement. People have been silenced by it and the pendulum is swinging the other way. Trump was a direct antidote to PC censored speech.
    Agreed - but I think the legitimate problem with the PC issue is where to draw the line. There's some issues that have become difficult to even debate for fear of being seen as racist or sexist. But there's also some people who still want to judge a person by their skin color and view that as a PC issue instead of the racism that it is.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Can she get a taser in MA? Might make her feel a little better when out and about.
    MA goes out of it's way to prevent citizens from being able to defend themselves. The last AG actually said she discouraged self help. Basically you should let the criminals do what they want and let the police pick up the pieces after.

Her quickest option right now would be pepper spray followed by self defense training.

0 Not allowed!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112