Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Election 2016 - The Day After and beyond

Re: Election 2016 - The Day After and beyond

Hooray...... our first $788M president!

1 Not allowed!

Meanwhile in Kalifornia ...

"California voters approve gun control measure Proposition 63

Following a year marked by a series of mass shootings, voters on Tuesday approved Proposition 63, which toughens California's already strict gun control laws. The initiative outlaws the possession of ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, requires background checks for people buying bullets, makes it a crime not to report lost or stolen guns, and provides a process for taking guns from people upon their conviction for a felony. The measure was proposed by Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom, who late Tuesday called the vote "historic progress to reduce gun violence."
    IIRC, that Newsom dude used to be a major of San Fran ...

0 Not allowed!

And it will do little to nothing, it's only a feel good measure. How many of the mass shootings would have been stopped by this legislation? I see nothing in there about mental disorders which is where a lot of the problems stem. And they never had anything in place to take guns from those who commit felonies, really?!?!

1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

So, Trump is tapping a (Koch brothers funded) climate change denier to lead his EPA transition and a Koch brothers lobbyist to head the DOE?
    I thought he was all about the common man?

Trump Picks Top Climate Skeptic to Lead EPA Transition - Scientific American

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    So, Trump is tapping a (Koch brothers funded) climate change denier to lead his EPA transition and a Koch brothers lobbyist to head the DOE?

WHY DID YOU EVEN VOTE FOR HILLARY, SHE'S TERRIBLE

(deflect deflect deflect)

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Can we talk speeches? Trump said almost nothing. His call for unity was ok, but I thought his fans were going to boo when he said we would respect ALL people. lol. His son couldn't stand still and they kept him on camera the whole time. The crowd chanted USA. Really? Welcome to thunderdome.

Obama and Hillary both had thoughtful speeches that had some important content. No one chanted. This is not thunderdome.

4 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Can we talk speeches? Trump said almost nothing. His call for unity was ok, but I thought his fans were going to boo when he said we would respect ALL people. lol. His son couldn't stand still and they kept him on camera the whole time. The crowd chanted USA. Really? Welcome to thunderdome.

Obama and Hillary both had thoughtful speeches that had some important content. No one chanted. This is not thunderdome.
    You're genuinely surprised his supporters are energized after an underdog win? You're really surprised that her supporters are mute the day after a monumental loss?

I think you're messing around.

0 Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

"Dying times here"

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    You're genuinely surprised his supporters are energized after an underdog win? You're really surprised that her supporters are mute the day after a monumental loss?

I think you're messing around.
    Cheering ecstatically for trump I would expect. That didn't happen. Chanting USA like it was a cage match. That happened.

Hillary's crowd cheered much louder and longer. She spoke well. The difference was apparent and a bit shocking. Did you have your eyes open when you watched? ears? Come on. Trump's speech was theater of the bizarre. The fake dramatic entrance. We have a reality TV star for a president. It is apparent. Reality TV isn't even good TV.

3 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Am I the only one who thinks Clinton sent Podesta out to her supporters instead of going herself was because the concession speech wasn't written yet?

4 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Cheering ecstatically for trump I would expect. That didn't happen. Chanting USA like it was a cage match. That happened.

Hillary's crowd cheered much louder and longer. She spoke well. The difference was apparent and a bit shocking. Did you have your eyes open when you watched? ears? Come on. Trump's speech was theater of the bizarre. The fake dramatic entrance. We have a reality TV star for a president. It is apparent. Reality TV isn't even good TV.
    I think you're still messing. You're disappointed to hear them chant "USA" but "Trump" would have been acceptable in a moment where the only goal was to unite Americans?

I do agree, reality TV is garbage TV. I dig motorsports.

0 Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

I think you'll find he was like that long before his stint on reality TV. Look at the life he's lived to this point, the speaking engagements, the ribbon breaking, his name on umpteen buildings. He has a tremendous ego that has only multiplied in recent days. He thinks everyone has come to see him and it is to their pleasure that he is gracing them with his presence. So of course his entrances are borderline grandiose, and extremely dramatic. It's the lifestyle he has.

1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post

The only step we've made towards getting money out of politics is cutting out the middleman. I hope that the disenfranchised white voters who turned out in droves don't hold their breath waiting for the wealth to trickle down.

He's already talking about taking us out of the Paris climate agreement. We've got a climate change denier in chief, potentially Attorney General Rudi Giuliani, Secretary of State Newt Gingrich, and what's going to happen to Stephen Bannon? Republicans cheated and Trump gets to break the tie in the Supreme Court with what he promises is a pro-life justice and we're just supposed to pray that no one else dies or retires. So much for overturning Citizen's United. Abortion rights, "religious freedoms", marriage equality, transgender rights. Republicans haven't been confirming federal judges so there's tons of openings there that Trump gets to fill.

Trump himself may not be the disaster that many have feared but perhaps more importantly his appointees are going to set us way, way back for a long, long time.

3 Not allowed!

I haven't watched a thing, I'm still in the insulation zone, but did this fuckstick give any indication that he might be honored and humbled to serve the people of the United States vs his own self interests??

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

His speech was exactly what it was supposed to be, no more, no less. I was/am pleasantly surprised that it wasn't full of bitter fuck-headedness. But wonder how long that will last. I expect at least one substantial shit-filled side show before inauguration. But there I go being negative again.

On a positive note, I've been trying to come up with upsides for this turn of events.

I suppose a shooting war with Russia is significantly less likely now than it was 2 days ago. That's good.
    Smaller EPA could be good for personal freedoms.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks Clinton sent Podesta out to her supporters instead of going herself was because the concession speech wasn't written yet?
    Lol! I think you're onto something here.

0 Not allowed!

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Here's Trump's First 100 Day Plan.

Some highlights:

* FIRST, propose a Constitutional Amendment to impose term limits on all members of Congress;

* SECOND, a hiring freeze on all federal employees to reduce federal workforce through attrition (exempting military, public safety, and public health);

* THIRD, a requirement that for every new federal regulation, two existing regulations must be eliminated;

* FOURTH, a 5 year-ban on White House and Congressional officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government service;

* FIFTH, a lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government;

* SIXTH, a complete ban on foreign lobbyists raising money for American elections.

On the same day, I will begin taking the following 7 actions to protect American workers:

* FIRST, I will announce my intention to renegotiate NAFTA or withdraw from the deal under Article 2205

* SECOND, I will announce our withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific Partnership

* THIRD, I will direct my Secretary of the Treasury to label China a currency manipulator

* FOURTH, I will direct the Secretary of Commerce and U.S. Trade Representative to identify all foreign trading abuses that unfairly impact American workers and direct them to use every tool under American and international law to end those abuses immediately

* FIFTH, I will lift the restrictions on the production of $50 trillion dollars' worth of job-producing American energy reserves, including shale, oil, natural gas and clean coal.

* SIXTH, lift the Obama-Clinton roadblocks and allow vital energy infrastructure projects, like the Keystone Pipeline, to move forward

* SEVENTH, cancel billions in payments to U.N. climate change programs and use the money to fix America's water and environmental infrastructure

Additionally, on the first day, I will take the following five actions to restore security and the constitutional rule of law:

* FIRST, cancel every unconstitutional executive action, memorandum and order issued by President Obama

* SECOND, begin the process of selecting a replacement for Justice Scalia from one of the 20 judges on my list, who will uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States

* THIRD, cancel all federal funding to Sanctuary Cities

* FOURTH, begin removing the more than 2 million criminal illegal immigrants from the country and cancel visas to foreign countries that won't take them back

* FIFTH, suspend immigration from terror-prone regions where vetting cannot safely occur. All vetting of people coming into our country will be considered extreme vetting."

As with many plans, some I am all for and some not so much.... more damaging stuff in the latter bits of the link not copied here.

0 Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

I think congress should hold off confirming any Supreme Court Justices until the next presidential election.

3 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

I'm sensing a palpable amount of buyer's remorse on this thread. Until Captain Dipshit won the GOP nomination, and even after, there seemed to be only a handful of people on this entire forum who acknowledged that there might be something more important than Clinton's email server. I'm not thrilled with it and am not particularly optimistic, but we deserve what we get. It happened with GW in 2000 and it just happened again. Suck it up.

1 Not allowed!

Trump supporters across the nation be like...

Election 2016 - The Day After and beyond-murica-jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by BSR6; 11-10-16 at 03:57 PM.

I like this one

Election 2016 - The Day After and beyond-trump-tank-jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Tim
    LRRS #44

Quote Originally Posted by bassomatic View Post
    I'm sensing a palpable amount of buyer's remorse on this thread. Until Captain Dipshit won the GOP nomination, and even after, there seemed to be only a handful of people on this entire forum who acknowledged that there might be something more important than Clinton's email server. I'm not thrilled with it and am not particularly optimistic, but we deserve what we get. It happened with GW in 2000 and it just happened again. Suck it up.
    There were lots of things more important than Clinton's e-mail server. Not all of those things were about Trump. Yes, Trump's lack of policies, and abject failure to be a decent human being, matter (or should have). But Clinton's warhawkishness and myriad forms of corruption were also things that matter.

I didn't vote for either one of them. But I have been frequently amazed and annoyed when Clinton's supporters try to pretend that there were no problems or questions to address about her other than the server. I think that's a significant part of why she lost -- arrogance and denial.

PhilB

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by PhilB; 11-10-16 at 04:15 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

I hope I didn't ever come across as a Clinton supporter, because I was by no means excited to vote for anybody in this election.
    I believe being a decent human comes first, before politics. And trump is the lowest of low. Lower than her by a huge fucking margin.
    And I emphasize, she's by no means a peach.

2 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Chippertheripper; 11-10-16 at 04:58 PM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

In this election most of us ended up as wingmen trying to decide which was the least really ugly grenade to jump on.

Like others have said, I'm not inclined to fault people for their choices.

1 Not allowed!

Giant shit sandwich.

I'm trying to reconcile my thoughts re people on FB that I know really were pulling for one candidate. I have some from both camps.

Read through the rest of Scottie's NPR link. The bits at the end he left out aren't all that "damaging" by my read. I dunno, maybe finding my inner optimist here.

Says he wants to cut back to 3 tax brackets. Simpler returns. I can get behind that.

0 Not allowed!