Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Election 2016 - The Day After and beyond

Re: Election 2016 - The Day After and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I hope I didn't ever come across as a Clinton supporter, because I was by no means excited to vote for anybody in this election.
    I believe being a decent human comes first, before politics. And trump is the lowest of low. Lower than her by a huge fucking margin.
    And I emphasize, she's by no means a peach.
    Is there any way he could have been spewing half that shit because he thought it would get him elected? You know, like politicians do? They all say one thing and then do something else. Save the tears and handwringing for when / if he DOES something that gets your panties in a bunch.

1 Not allowed!

So you're ok with that, even as rhetoric? Go fuck yourself.

5 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    So you're ok with that, even as rhetoric? Go fuck yourself.
    OK, I'll get right on that. Should have known better than to say anything while you're in your safe space.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Is there any way he could have been spewing half that shit because he thought it would get him elected? You know, like politicians do? They all say one thing and then do something else. Save the tears and handwringing for when / if he DOES something that gets your panties in a bunch.
    There's NO WAY he's that smart. He's the definition of fly-by-the pants, and damn good at it.

1 Not allowed!
    Hyper

Quote Originally Posted by jeantarrou View Post
    There's NO WAY he's that smart. He's the definition of fly-by-the pants, and damn good at it.
    Maybe, or even probably. But he won the election. Is it worth getting all cunty right now when we have an impeachment and removal process in place, and a huge part of the population ready to fry him without a day in office? i guess that's how soft we are.

0 Not allowed!

It is worth getting cunty. Being a decent human is first and foremost. Politics is second.
    Trump is a shitstain.
    I guess I'm getting soft in my old age. I'll own it.

4 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Chip, I (and I'm sure plenty of other Americans) agree with everything you're saying. The biggest problem with our country is the people who can fix the shit we're in are not running for office.

1 Not allowed!

Here's an interesting graphic.

I maintain that Hillary Clinton and the DNC lost this one. Were I a Bernie die-hard in the primaries I'd feel pretty damned disenfranchised these days.

1 Not allowed!

No doubt. I said before that there weren't really any true statesmen left (that I know of).

1 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Bernie? Even if you done agree with him, no one can deny he has been spouting the same stuff for 30 years.

1 Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

I've been rather quiet on facebook namely because I'm shocked at the shit coming out of people's keyboards. As a black man in America, how in the actual fuck can you say trump is good. The fucking clan endorsed him. To me it feels like that just gave racist a huge free pass, and a huge smack in the face to people that look like me.

I can't look past that.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by jhawley; 11-10-16 at 09:53 PM.

I can't look past it either...

Speaking of, the way you used that semicolon is particularly bothersome.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by loudbeard; 11-10-16 at 09:50 PM.
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Damn iPhone. I was going between horizontal and upright trying to type and lost half the screen

0 Not allowed!

D'awww

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

This thread is absolutely unthinkable, it's like 50% of you are happy about the results and 50% of you are pissed.

0 Not allowed!

Call it 49 / 49. I would have been unhappy with either result.

Unlike some, my mourning period took place when the nominees were named, and I had already come to terms with the outcome being something I would not be happy with.

4 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jeantarrou View Post
    I think half of why he won is that people underestimated him. He IS that smart. He is absolutely brilliant at what he does, which is snake-oil salesman, con artist, promote himself. Too many people, including Hillary and co., comforted/deluded themselves by thinking Trump was a joke, an idiot, not a serious threat. And Trump used that dismissive attitude to his advantage. He's a consummate asshole, but he's not stupid.

PhilB

4 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    I think half of why he won is that people underestimated him. He IS that smart. He is absolutely brilliant at what he does, which is snake-oil salesman, con artist, promote himself. Too many people, including Hillary and co., comforted/deluded themselves by thinking Trump was a joke, an idiot, not a serious threat. And Trump used that dismissive attitude to his advantage. He's a consummate asshole, but he's not stupid.

PhilB
    I'm curious...would 'dangerous as President' fit...?

1 Not allowed!
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
    Muhammad Ali.

I find it pretty interesting at how divided we are as a people. Many of these same comments and arguments were made when Obama was elected and how the country was going to come to an end, we were going to get invaded by terrorists and illegals because he was so spineless. Here we are 8 years later, my door hasn't been kicked in my any secret jackbooted national police, I got up this morning walked the dog without fear of being blown up, drank my coffee without worry of rationing, etc etc. Now we are on the verge of a Trump leadership (term used loosely) and the other side is in the position to try and tear it all down. Trump is going to start WWIII, there will be encampments for the minorities, there are going to be race riots in the streets (ok, that might happen as it is close without him even coming into power yet), etc. This is so much why we are fucked as a country. No one will accept things for what they are and make the best of it. If there were 100 people on a burning oil rig and 48 wanted to be rescued by helicopter, and 49 by boat, (3 just wanted to watch the motherfucker burn) so the boats were called in. Now the 48 that wanted the helicopter started chanting, "Not my rescue plan." Some wouldn't get on the boat and just decided to condemn the boat for its size, make, captain, etc. Others reluctantly got on the boat and once there started to tie knots on the mooring lines to make the plan that much harder to execute, started to rock the boat to make it difficult to load people, etc. Now the 49 that wanted the boat started getting angry and ruckus ensued and the rescue plan falls apart. The departure was delayed and the oil rig exploded killing everyone. That is where we are headed as a country, no one wants to put on their big boy pants and make things work. The old saying of making lemonade from lemons is pretty damned true. But no one is forcing you to be compliant, do what you want, be as restrictive, divisive, or supportive as you want. But we as a nation are only going to get out of this what we put in, and if it is negativity, the outcome will be negative. This goes for both sides of the aisle. Obama didn't receive much support, if he did he might have done things differently but the man isn't going to ask for support or input when he knows the other side is just going to shit on him, of course he went unilateral on many occasions. Trump is looking down the exact same barrel. Not my President! Really?!?! Read the constitution lately? He's your President, the election process that we all live under was performed and he won. Now everyone can look at this as a shit sandwich or an opportunity as something else on the menu. Might want to re-think the restaurant next time, but it's where we are now.
    Sorry, I just hate this fucking spoiled bitch mentality that wreaks havoc on our country today.

2 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post

PhilB
    Well my intent in that post was more to express my belief that he's incapable of forethought, saying that he isn't smart wasn't really to my point (although I firmly believe that the ability to think ahead, multiple steps ahead, is an core component of intelligence), I should have used a different word there. I do think it's fascinating to discuss whether he's smart or not though.

Sure, he's not stupid, but jeesh, I have a really hard time calling him intelligent. To my previous argument the guy is so freaking reactionary, I bet he's the WORST chess player!! He's got his finger on the pulse of pop culture and an uncanny ability to "read the room" in a very large sense. A skill, yes, and damnit it got him elected, but...

And no doubt the DNC underestimated him, I don't really blame them for that though, he's Donald freaking Trump! Know that I have a huge beef with how the DNC operates though, AT BEST they displayed an utter lack of competence on so many levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I find it pretty interesting at how divided we are as a people. Many of these same comments and arguments were made when Obama was elected and how the country was going to come to an end, we were going to get invaded by terrorists and illegals because he was so spineless. Here we are 8 years later... ...Sorry, I just hate this fucking spoiled bitch mentality that wreaks havoc on our country today.
    I agree with this, what's the solution?? Ugh...

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by jeantarrou; 11-11-16 at 09:13 AM.
    Hyper

There is no solution that can be placed upon the people, it has to come from the people. They have to realize what they are doing and make that change. But when our major institutions of learning are throwing tantrums because they didn't get their way, and the keepers of these "great institutions" only support the activity, things are not going to get better anytime soon.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    There is no solution that can be placed upon the people, it has to come from the people. They have to realize what they are doing and make that change. But when our major institutions of learning are throwing tantrums because they didn't get their way, and the keepers of these "great institutions" only support the activity, things are not going to get better anytime soon.
    Careful not to be guilty of the same crisicisms you posted, my first thought is that calling their reactions and displeasure tantrums undermines a healthy back and forth. And isn't if fair to give these institutions a good piece of credibility?

Thinking out loud here, amongst all this passionate for and against the reality is one "side" is in the right, right?

1 Not allowed!
    Hyper

Healthy back and forth? I haven't seen that for years. If anything, particularly after this election, the flames of discontent are being stoked even more.

It seems we have learned nothing as a populace from this and are widening the divide at an even faster rate.

The folks on the left are using fear and the world is burning approach to have people believe gays and anyone brown is now going to be burned at the stake. That seems eerily similar to how the right claimed everyone brown was trying to destroy you if you were white.

I see a lot of hypocrisy there. It's pretty sad that both "sides" are using this as a wedge against the majority of us stuck in the "middle".

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 11-11-16 at 10:22 AM.
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimedog View Post
    You know what the most fucked up thing about all that is? It's not day 1 in Trumps America, it's just another day in the life here. Those things were always here they just weren't as overt.

Inflammatory rhetoric isn't going to fix that, it' going to help make it worse.

It's also still painting an entire group of people based on the actions of a small subset of the group. If it's bad ideal to paint all Muslims as bad based on the radical few why is it suddenly now acceptable to paint 50% of the population who supported Trump as racist, Klan loving, anti-semitickets, etc....

If the majority of people who voted tor Trump were even a fraction of how they're being portrayed right now we would have people swinging from trees and blood running in the streets.

So again, by focusing on the worst we have learned nothing. History is destined to repeat itself as they say.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 11-11-16 at 10:44 AM.
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R