Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Fucking batteries are cunts

Fucking batteries are cunts

Key to the HyperMotard came in the mail yesterday, so I rode the bike (for the first time) to Home Depot to get a spare key cut. Unfortunately they can't cut one -- it's supposedly the same as General Motors blank, but whatever.

Ride home and the bike dies 5 miles from home. Voltmeter on the dash shows 11.5V, yeah that's not going to cut the starting mustard. Uber home, get car, attach trailer, drive back to pick up bike, bring bike home. Leave it on a Battery Tender all night, still no dice.

Ah, I get a brainwave. I'll swap the battery from the VFR over to the Hyper! Genius.

Except, fuck you, that battery seems dead too. Barely 12V when not connected to the bike, and 11.5V with the ignition on before cranking.

Jesus fucking. I disconnected the VFR battery all winter and left it in the warm basement, and it's been on a Tender for the last week or two.

Oh and the Porsche alternator's regulator died the week before last.

Apparently all batteries are cunts and have it out for me.

1 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Re: Fucking batteries are cunts

Same here. I've had a run on batts too. Hawk, Ninjette. TRX and SV...

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    Same here. I've had a run on batts too. Hawk, Ninjette. TRX and SV...
    What are you replacing them with? The Ducati is getting a Battery Tender BTL14A240C which is supposedly a bolt-in replacement for the YT12B-BS. If it works well I'll probably put the same thing in the VFR.

Can't wait until I buy a dirt bike with electric start and have even more of these cunts around

0 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Kevin is a cunt too.

nsfw, language.

4 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Yup, we have a thing with cuntish batteries too. I'm with ya. The Corvette destroys them in a couple short years and our ATV's all have electronic dashes that chew 'em up in no time if I don't disconnect them. Fuck them batteries...

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Oh and the Porsche alternator's regulator died the week before last
    ahhhhh I feel so sorry for you.........

0 Not allowed!
    2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    LRRS #246 - Central Mass Powersports / Northeast Cycle / Woodcraft

Gotta get an actual tender that you can leave them on all winter.

0 Not allowed!

xxaarraa

American batteries (made in China) do not like Australians.

3 Not allowed!

Batteries, as a technology, just plain suck. They are one of the weakest links in anything that uses them for any purpose, much less anything that is actually powered by them. What's the limiting factor on the usage of your phone, flashlight, laser sights, smoke detectors, everything else? The battery.

What's the single cause of electric vehicles not being as useful or versatile as ICE vehicles? The batteries. This has been true since about 1910, and is still true. It's exactly why I wouldn't buy an electric car or bike, until they find a decent way to store electrical energy.

PhilB

1 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
    Gotta get an actual tender that you can leave them on all winter.
    *I* do, I run it on all of them. Even have quick connectors permanently mounted on the ATV's. The drain on the batteries during non-usage is more than the the charging rate of the Tender. Of course, unless I remember to disconnect the batteries...

0 Not allowed!

They aren't all that bad.

Batteries are still a relatively reliable and useful way of storing energy. Not the most energy dense, but it keeps improving.

Comparing it to liquid fuels isn't fair until you consider the resources and precautions involved with drilling, extracting, refining, transporting, dispensing, storing and finally consuming an explosive flammable corrosive poisonous non-renewable liquid. Gas only seems easy/safe/efficient compared to batteries because we have the massive infrastructure to keep it readily available.

2 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    *I* do, I run it on all of them. Even have quick connectors permanently mounted on the ATV's. The drain on the batteries during non-usage is more than the the charging rate of the Tender. Of course, unless I remember to disconnect the batteries...
    My Battery Tender Junior puts out about 1.2 amps when it senses the voltage gets too low. Your parasitic drain is 1.2 amps or more? Holy shit... maybe with the key on...

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

so far so good with my Kymco, 2 winters so far, never been on a battery tender, never disconnected the battery either.

I've killed a couple of batteries on my V-strom, but not as many batteries as stators

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

If it werent for batteries dying over time id have a lot more toys sitting around that i dont necessarily use...

Dying batteries from lack of use is a major reason i sell a lot of shit

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post

Comparing it to liquid fuels isn't fair until you consider the resources and precautions involved with drilling, extracting, refining, transporting, dispensing, storing and finally consuming an explosive flammable corrosive poisonous non-renewable liquid. Gas only seems easy/safe/efficient compared to batteries because we have the massive infrastructure to keep it readily available.
    yes, cause we know mining lithium salts has no environmental impacts and is safe for miners, refinery workers, disposal, non corrosive and non flammable, and if its not, we don't care cause the world major producers are China, Chile & Argentina

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

They aren't all that bad.

Batteries are still a relatively reliable and useful way of storing energy. Not the most energy dense, but it keeps improving.

I completely disagree. Batteries are not a reliable way of storing energy, and are not useful for anything but small amounts. Even when they work well, they are still an order of magnitude worse than chemical storage such as liquid fuels, and that has nothing to do with infrastructure.

When mechanized transport was introduced, there were several competing technologies. Initially, liquid fossil fuels, steam power, and electricity all fought it out in the early parts of the last century, and liquid fossil fuels won out, for very good reasons. We have all this infrastructure for liquid fuels *because* they are better, not the other way arund as you state. And it is still true, for example, that electric vehicles have serious limitations that need serious workarounds for many applications, that are inherent to the battery problem, and not about infrastructure.

When we create an actual practical technology for mass storage of electricity, that will open a huge number of doors -- to useful electric vehicles, to useful natural/alternative energy sources, to portable devices of all sorts that are durable and relatively independent in operation. I look forward to that time. Today isn't it, and batteries are not it (and can't become it).

PhilB

0 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises

My Battery Tender Junior puts out about 1.2 amps when it senses the voltage gets too low. Your parasitic drain is 1.2 amps or more? Holy shit... maybe with the key on...
    Yup...the Corvette was the first with the Star Wars dash. Nowadays, it's nothing. Back then, it was quite the task. The most I've ever gotten out of a typical battery in it has been three years. It's been a known issue forever and even migrated up to certain 90's and early 2000's models...

Same with the wheelers. Those early digital dashes were poorly designed, energy-wise. If I remember to disconnect them, they're fine. If I remember to keep the Tender on 'em from day one, they're fine. But forget once in a while? Yeah, no dice. Like the Corvette, it's a known issue...

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    so far so good with my Kymco, 2 winters so far, never been on a battery tender, never disconnected the battery either.

I've killed a couple of batteries on my V-strom, but not as many batteries as stators
    Your instrumentation on the Kymco is analog...

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    I completely disagree. Batteries are not a reliable way of storing energy, and are not useful for anything but small amounts. Even when they work well, they are still an order of magnitude worse than chemical storage such as liquid fuels, and that has nothing to do with infrastructure.

When mechanized transport was introduced, there were several competing technologies. Initially, liquid fossil fuels, steam power, and electricity all fought it out in the early parts of the last century, and liquid fossil fuels won out, for very good reasons. We have all this infrastructure for liquid fuels *because* they are better, not the other way arund as you state. And it is still true, for example, that electric vehicles have serious limitations that need serious workarounds for many applications, that are inherent to the battery problem, and not about infrastructure.

When we create an actual practical technology for mass storage of electricity, that will open a huge number of doors -- to useful electric vehicles, to useful natural/alternative energy sources, to portable devices of all sorts that are durable and relatively independent in operation. I look forward to that time. Today isn't it, and batteries are not it (and can't become it).

PhilB
    Technically, they ARE chemical storage.

Battery capacity and reliability has increased steadily. Sure, the big three "fought it out", but that's back when batteries were absolute shit. And, by the way, a Ford Model-T got around 20-25 mpg, so we haven't made much strides in that, now have we?

They WERE better. They may still be, but to flatly deny that battery technology isn't progressing and giving a viable alternative to liquid fuels is ..well, typical Phil.

For MOST commuters/drivers, an electric car is finally a viable and decent alternative. If you can plug it into an outlet at night, then it should do you just fine 90% of the time.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 05-31-17 at 02:27 PM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

yes, cause we know mining lithium salts has no environmental impacts and is safe for miners, refinery workers, disposal, non corrosive and non flammable, and if its not, we don't care cause the world major producers are China, Chile & Argentina
    If only we didn't have so many wars and conflict being fought there. Damn those Chilean Al-Shebab! And the ISIS crisis in Argentina! Oh no! We might do some business, with Chi-na? WHOEVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING? lol

If only we had a way to turn the lithium into something that can be used to store energy over and over, instead of just yanking it out of the ground, burning it, and then going back for more.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Yup...the Corvette was the first with the Star Wars dash. Nowadays, it's nothing. Back then, it was quite the task. The most I've ever gotten out of a typical battery in it has been three years. It's been a known issue forever and even migrated up to certain 90's and early 2000's models...

Same with the wheelers. Those early digital dashes were poorly designed, energy-wise. If I remember to disconnect them, they're fine. If I remember to keep the Tender on 'em from day one, they're fine. But forget once in a while? Yeah, no dice. Like the Corvette, it's a known issue...

Your instrumentation on the Kymco is analog...
    bad focus, but here's my "analog" dash
    Fucking batteries are cunts-017-jpg

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

If only we didn't have so many wars and conflict being fought there. Damn those Chilean Al-Shebab! And the ISIS crisis in Argentina! Oh no! We might do some business, with Chi-na? WHOEVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING? lol

If only we had a way to turn the lithium into something that can be used to store energy over and over, instead of just yanking it out of the ground, burning it, and then going back for more.
    either way, newly mined lithium, or recycled lithium, i's highly corrosive, and highly poisonous

the safest and most environmentally friendly fuel is hydrogen

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Technically, they ARE chemical storage.

Battery capacity and reliability has increased steadily. Sure, the big three "fought it out", but that's back when batteries were absolute shit. And, by the way, a Ford Model-T got around 20-25 mpg, so we haven't made much strides in that, now have we?

They WERE better. They may still be, but to flatly deny that battery technology isn't progressing and giving a viable alternative to liquid fuels is ..well, typical Phil.

For MOST commuters/drivers, an electric car is finally a viable and decent alternative. If you can plug it into an outlet at night, then it should do you just fine 90% of the time.
    No, they are not technically chemical storage.

Sure, battery capacity and reliability has increased steadily. But very slowly, not to anywhere near that of chemical storage, and they don't even have the theoretical possibility of getting there. If we can get to where they can be charged very quickly, that would go a long way to making it possible for batteries to actually be good, but that's not progressing well either. I read something a few years ago about a group in Texas that thought they had a way of surface doping battery material to allow essentially instant charging, and that was pretty exciting, but I haven't heard anything more about that since.

I'm not denying that battery technology is progressing, but I do deny that it gives, or is ever likely to give, a viable alternative to liquid fuels. Which is indeed, well, typical Phil -- based on physical reality, rather than wishful thinking.

Sure, for most commuters, most of the time, an electric car can be made to work fine. But that's not everyone, not all the time, and you have to work around its limitations at the best of times. And the rest of the time, you need another vehicle, which kind of cuts into the savings of having one.

It's kind of the same as when people argue that motorcycles are cheaper than cars, and so they can save money by riding. That's true *if* they *replace* their car with a bike, but few people will do that. The bike can save a lot of money over a car if that's all you use, but it's rarely enough cheaper to cover having one in addition to your car, as an economic choice. And going bike-only is possible, if you have a decent enough climate (or enough fortitude), but there are real limitations to your lifestyle and capabilities linked to that choice.

If you live in a situation where you can make decent workarounds for the limits of electric cars, and are willing to accept those constraints, you can make it work. But that's not the same as it being as good/useful/versatile as an ICE vehicle.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!

the safest and most environmentally friendly fuel is hydrogen
    Hydrogen is fairly dangerous, indeed quite a bit more so than the fossil fuels we are used to. And storage of hydrogen in large or portable amounts is also a problem. That said, I think hydrogen is a decent possibility for energy storage. If they can get a decent energy density out of it through carbon nanotube storage, or some other approach, and feed fuel cells with it, that could do the job. But at this point, hydrogen isn't really viable with current storage tech, either. Much more promising than batteries, though.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    Hydrogen is fairly dangerous
    that was the argument made against gasoline 115 years agoħ it's explosive you know, and yer carrying a bomb

Hydrogen , like LPG is as safe as gasoline, where is is being used in California an LPG that is used everywhere, indoor applications, gas company delivery trucks, etc. , How many accidents have you heard of where the fuel caused additional damage & injury....... same % or less than gasoline, I'd say, otherwise we'd hear about it, the media hasn't even created fake news one way or the other

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

The only part of this thread I can understand is that Kevin is a cunt.

3 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast