Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Fucking batteries are cunts

Re: Fucking batteries are cunts

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    that was the argument made against gasoline 115 years agoħ it's explosive you know, and yer carrying a bomb

Hydrogen , like LPG is as safe as gasoline, where is is being used in California an LPG that is used everywhere, indoor applications, gas company delivery trucks, etc. , How many accidents have you heard of where the fuel caused additional damage & injury....... same % or less than gasoline, I'd say, otherwise we'd hear about it, the media hasn't even created fake news one way or the other
    No, chemically, hydrogen has a very wide range of concentrations where it is explosive. It also starts as an explosive gas, whereas fuels must be atomized or allowed to form vapors before they will burn. It really is a bigger hazard. It's not an impossible hazard; it can be managed, but it will take more care than gasoline or diesel.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    No, chemically, hydrogen has a very wide range of concentrations where it is explosive. It also starts as an explosive gas, whereas fuels must be atomized or allowed to form vapors before they will burn. It really is a bigger hazard. It's not an impossible hazard; it can be managed, but it will take more care than gasoline or diesel.

PhilB
    fear mongering are ye, do you have oil stocks?

What are the dangers of hydrogen-powered vehicles? | HowStuffWorks

This doesn't mean that hydrogen shouldn't be treated with a healthy respect for its dangers, but in practice, these dangers are unlikely to be any greater than those of gasoline. In fact, with its rapid dispersal and tendency to rise, hydrogen could pose less of a threat than the fuels we use now.

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

fear mongering are ye, do you have oil stocks?

What are the dangers of hydrogen-powered vehicles? | HowStuffWorks
    Not at all -- neither the fearmongering nor the oil stocks. Indeed, in *every* post about hydrogen I have made, I have said that the dangers are not excessive and can be handled. I favor hydrogen as an alternative, if a good storage solution can be invented. I'm just also being realistic that there are significant hazards, and disputing your claims that there aren't. Reality (specifically in this case, chemistry) disagrees with you.

Indeed, quoting directly from the article you supplied: "Topping the list of concerns is hydrogen burns. In the presence of an oxidizer -- oxygen is a good one -- hydrogen can catch fire, sometimes explosively, and it burns more easily than gasoline does. According to the American National Standards Institute, hydrogen requires only one 10th as much energy to ignite as gasoline does. A spark of static electricity from a person's finger is enough to set it off. Ideally, no oxygen should be present in the liquid hydrogen tanks in a fuel cell vehicle, but trace amounts of air may contaminate the hydrogen supply. If the hydrogen should escape, it will immediately come into contact with the oxygen in air." The fact that hydrogen is lighter than air mitigates this hazard, but does not eliminate it.

Your article also entirely fails to mention that hydrogen is effectively not a fuel, but rather a storage medium -- since it is not found in free combustible form, it must be made using energy that is generated by some other means, unlike fossil fuels which provide their own energy. That's rather a glaring omission in an article about fueling vehicles.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by PhilB; 05-31-17 at 10:48 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises

Walmart ones for cars are roughly 2 years on the dot...

Maybe I will get an optima like I did with my highschool system :l:

0 Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    What are you replacing them with? The Ducati is getting a Battery Tender BTL14A240C which is supposedly a bolt-in replacement for the YT12B-BS. If it works well I'll probably put the same thing in the VFR.

Can't wait until I buy a dirt bike with electric start and have even more of these cunts around
    Just took a Battery Tender out of the Tiger 1050. The way they rate them for Ah is shenanigans. The Tiger has a trip computer that might be the culprit, but it drew down the LiFeP04 battery in less than 24 hours. The OEM AGM lasts for days, which still sucks.

On the bright side we bought an AntiGravity jump battery, which has incredible power for size. They don't like the cold but it's so small I can keep it inside my jacket.

BT warranteed the battery, gonna put it in the WR250R.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

I'm not denying that battery technology is progressing, but I do deny that it gives, or is ever likely to give, a viable alternative to liquid fuels. Which is indeed, well, typical Phil -- based on physical reality, rather than wishful thinking.

Sure, for most commuters, most of the time, an electric car can be made to work fine. But that's not everyone, not all the time, and you have to work around its limitations at the best of times. And the rest of the time, you need another vehicle, which kind of cuts into the savings of having one.

For the average family with two vehicles, one could easily be an electric vehicle using TODAY'S technology. That's a solid third of all vehicles on the road. The other could remain liquid fuel for long trips or mileage flexibility, and the commuter/grocery getter/etc can be the drastically cheaper per mile electric vehicle.

But continue being Philtuse and ignoring that as a possible good use of said technology. Tesla gives 0 fucks. Hell, even the shitty Leaf is getting better.

"not everyone, not all the time, limitations"

For a guy who rides a motorcycle as his primary means of transport, you sure have zero interest in any sort of compromise for other things.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Batteries are still cunts...

2 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I get 4-6 years out of my WalMart shit batteries.

Cold weather is cunts! Heated garage makes batteries last forever

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    What are you replacing them with? The Ducati is getting a Battery Tender BTL14A240C which is supposedly a bolt-in replacement for the YT12B-BS. If it works well I'll probably put the same thing in the VFR.

Can't wait until I buy a dirt bike with electric start and have even more of these cunts around
    I read some horror stories about the Battery Tender batteries. Bad enough to make me decide to stick with the oem brands and models.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I get 4-6 years out of my WalMart shit batteries.

Cold weather is cunts! Heated garage makes batteries last forever
    Yup, I can obviously see how that helps!

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

PhilB
    ehhh sort of. Hydrogen is only flammable when mixed with oxygen for starters, it also goes UP instead of DOWN like normal fuel, so when you DO have a rupture in the tank, it's going to vent UP and the flame will stay concentrated. You won't have some gigantic explosion from pressurized hydrogen unless you have a catastrophic failure. The biggest dangers are in enclosed environments as leaked hydrogen will pool at the ceiling and then you only need the slightest bit of static electricity and BOOM, as you've got a nice mix of H2 and O2 all in a loosely contained area.

It really isn't a "bigger" hazard, it's just different. A truck full of gasoline that flips over on the highway and ignites is going to be one hell of a bigger hazard than an H2 tank truck getting a rupture and venting up into the open atmosphere.

Source: Work with USDOT, codes and standards development and an extensive background in Hydrogen Safety.

But if that ain't enough for ya, "Hydrogen has been portrayed in the popular press as a relatively more dangerous fuel, and hydrogen in fact has the widest explosive/ignition mix range with air of all gases except acetylene. However this is mitigated by the fact that hydrogen rapidly rises and disperses before ignition, and unless the escape is in an enclosed, unventilated area, it is unlikely to be serious.

Demonstrations have shown that a fuel fire in a hydrogen-powered vehicle can burn out completely with little damage to the vehicle, in stark contrast to the expected result in a gasoline-fueled vehicle.[From: http://www.evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=482]"

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by scottieducati; 06-01-17 at 09:15 AM.

CCS/LRRS #83

For the average family with two vehicles, one could easily be an electric vehicle using TODAY'S technology. That's a solid third of all vehicles on the road. The other could remain liquid fuel for long trips or mileage flexibility, and the commuter/grocery getter/etc can be the drastically cheaper per mile electric vehicle.

But continue being Philtuse and ignoring that as a possible good use of said technology. Tesla gives 0 fucks. Hell, even the shitty Leaf is getting better.

"not everyone, not all the time, limitations"

For a guy who rides a motorcycle as his primary means of transport, you sure have zero interest in any sort of compromise for other things.
    Are we actually looking for solutions, or just interim increments? If we're OK with the majority of transport remaining as ICE, and electrics helping around the edges, then yes, electrics are good enough for that. If we're talking about weaning ourselves off of fossil fuels, and developing an actual ecologically sound transportation system, then no, electrics are not nearly good enough, and batteries are the reason. I thought we were talking about real solutions for the future. I was, anyway.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    ... and hydrogen in fact has the widest explosive/ignition mix range with air of all gases except acetylene. ...
    This is my concern.

RandyO claimed that
    ... the safest and most environmentally friendly fuel is hydrogen
    and I was JUST saying that the explosion hazard needs to be paid attention to; it's not inherently non-hazardous.

I'M NOT SAYING THAT HYDROGEN IS BAD, OR UNMANAGEABLE, OR SHOULDN'T BE USED. I'M JUST SAYING THERE ARE HAZARDS TO BE CONSIDERED AND MANAGED. JESUS.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by PhilB; 06-01-17 at 09:26 AM.

Anything containing energy be it in liquid, gaseous, or chemical form (batteries) are hazardous Phil.... but Hydrogen for transportation *is* both of those things RandyO said.

0 Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

Are we actually looking for solutions, or just interim increments? If we're OK with the majority of transport remaining as ICE, and electrics helping around the edges, then yes, electrics are good enough for that. If we're talking about weaning ourselves off of fossil fuels, and developing an actual ecologically sound transportation system, then no, electrics are not nearly good enough, and batteries are the reason. I thought we were talking about real solutions for the future. I was, anyway.

PhilB
    Pie in the sky, yet again. Instead of embracing imperfect solutions and continually improving them, you are holding out for Nirvana.

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

BTW Phil! Someone on Reddit wanted to see a picture of a Ducati odometer w/ over 200k miles.... you got one handy?

1 Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

Pie in the sky, yet again. Instead of embracing imperfect solutions and continually improving them, you are holding out for Nirvana.
    Bullshit. I'm "holding out" for functional, for good enough to actually do the job. That's not Nirvana, that's not unreasonable or unrealistic. I'm advocating for improving the technology enough to be *adequate*, and batteries don't achieve that.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by b0xmonkey View Post
    The only part of this thread I can understand is that Kevin is a cunt.
    And Kevin dosent even give a shit. He knows hes a cunt and dosent care. Cunt

1 Not allowed!
    Johnny

Its an Italian bike...Ive had (have?) a few

BTW Phil! Someone on Reddit wanted to see a picture of a Ducati odometer w/ over 200k miles.... you got one handy?
    I'm not on reddit. If you want, I can e-mail you whatever pictures you like to post up. What size pics, and of what? Overall bike pic, and odometer? I think the most recent odo pic I've got is when it turned 250K, but I can take a new one if you want.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!

If you have one hosted online somewhere, send me a link! otherwise email scottieducati@gmail.com

1 Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

If it has tits, tires or tracks its trouble,,,

0 Not allowed!

If you have one hosted online somewhere, send me a link! otherwise email scottieducati@gmail.com
    e-mail sent.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!

Imagine if all the cunting in this thread could power the world.

Also: big tip of the cap to n9 for knowingly placing this thread in controversial topics ahead of time. That's some Jedi shit.

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by me109g4 View Post
    If it has tits, tires or tracks its trouble,,,
    ...and if it flies, floats or fucks, you're better off renting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Imagine if all the cunting in this thread could power the world.

Also: big tip of the cap to n9 for knowingly placing this thread in controversial topics ahead of time. That's some Jedi shit.

1 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Not even gonna post the link?

0 Not allowed!
    07 S4RS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast