Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Government spending - what would you do?

Government spending - what would you do?

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/56783

See the table in this piece.

Where would you cut spending and are you willing to cut spending on programs that you directly benefit from?

Where would you raise revenue and are you willing to raise revenue in ways that take money from your pocket?

In short, if you believe the deficit growth rate should be reduced and the budget become closer to balanced, are you willing to participate in a meaningful way, or should “others” be impacted before you?

Let the fun commence!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SteveM; 10-11-21 at 03:24 PM.

Re: Government spending - what would you do?

everywhere equally 15% immediately, forget being an altruist, the laid off goverment workers can easily find private sector jobs, infact, this may be the answer to employers finding employees, and companies can take down their help wanted billboards and get products out on time

fuck 15%.... lets go with 50%

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    everywhere equally 15% immediately, forget being an altruist, the laid off goverment workers can easily find private sector jobs, infact, this may be the answer to employers finding employees, and companies can take down their help wanted billboards and get products out on time

And the homelessness would end immediately, cancer would clearly be cured and all religions will get along forever from now on.

Amazing what cutting spending to government can do!

Also love your "facts". Infact, it wasn't a fact.

I don't miss going to comedy shows since Covid. I got NESR to cover that entertainment for free.

Here is my solution. Gut the military. Leave bare needs. Don't get which Congressman's district loses jobs. All those people can go private as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    And the homelessness would end immediately, cancer would clearly be cured and all religions will get along forever from now on.

Amazing what cutting spending to government can do!

Also love your "facts". Infact, it wasn't a fact.

I don't miss going to comedy shows since Covid. I got NESR to cover that entertainment for free.

Here is my solution. Gut the military. Leave bare needs. Don't get which Congressman's district loses jobs. All those people can go private as well.
    what is your reasoning for altruism being part of your decision making ?

lets get back to nature and let the unfit cull themselves out, it will be ok to put a backhoe into the towns budget for mass burials

RandyO
    IBA#9560

what is your reasoning for altruism being part of your decision making ?

lets get back to nature and let the unfit cull themselves out, it will be ok to put a backhoe into the towns budget for mass burials
    I concur. We got hundreds of millions of guns in the country too. Defund ALL military. We can defend for ourselves, nobody would dare. Just like the forefathers wanted. Budget instantly fixed.

Government clearly can't run it right, spending is out of control and we are the world police for no reason. Plus the military aren't worth market rate. Low skill getting pension for rest for their lives after 20 years.

I like your thinking and where we are going with this.

Edit: I mean if the guns we have as citizens can defend ourselves from our own government and military which is by far the most powerful in the world, then who the hell do we as citizens have to be afraid of?

Last edited by Vovchandr; 10-11-21 at 04:35 PM.

Government spending - what would you do?-20170424_military_expenditure-jpg

B1 bomber, B2 bomber, F35.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Government spending - what would you do?-20170424_military_expenditure-jpg

B1 bomber, B2 bomber, F35.
    I wonder where North Korea fits into that graphic ?

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Cut military by 30% and we still spend double China. Tis a fucking joke.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Everybody to the limit!

I wonder where North Korea fits into that graphic ?
    North Korea spends roughly 4 Billion per year, which is about 0.5% of our military budget. It's also roughly 25% of their GDP, which is one of the many reasons North Koreans live in perpetual poverty.

Great let's go with 50%

50% less social security for you
    50% less Medicare coverage for you

Thanks for the contribution!

I think we need, but will never see, a serious restructuring of the military branches, their missions, their scope and their funding.

The combination of pork and tradition are too much to overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Great let's go with 50%

50% less social security for you
    50% less Medicare coverage for you

Thanks for the contribution!
    no, that is, or is suppose to be a separate trust account, independent of the government's budget spending, I know it has been "borrowed" from maybe by cutting the general budget 50%, it can be paid back. And if I live beyond 2033, there will still be $$ in it.

RandyO
    IBA#9560

no, that is, or is suppose to be a separate trust account, independent of the government's budget spending, I know it has been "borrowed" from maybe by cutting the general budget 50%, it can be paid back. And if I live beyond 2033, there will still be $$ in it.
    If you bothered to read the piece i attached or look at the options, you’d know this is on the table.

Make just a little effort, please.

(4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar

retire the bombers, fighters, and ICBMs. tis the 21st century, m'lady. we blow up the enemy with drones. infantry for anything missed.

We have major spending problems. For instance, and something the professor might know something about. Every year teachers scramble for classroom supplies. EVERY SINGLE YEAR. We the United States spend more per pupil than any other nation on earth. And end up with kids that don't match up to kids of other nations. Isn't it about time we ask where is our money going to?

Last edited by Rambunctous; 10-12-21 at 09:42 PM.
    CLICK BELOW TO PROTECT YOUR FRAGILITY (Get a set of raisins like Vovchandr you pansies)

CLICK HERE TO PUT ME ON IGNORE

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    We have major spending problems. For instance, and something the professor might know something about. Every year teachers scramble for classroom supplies. EVERY SINGLE YEAR. We the United States spend more per pupil than any other nation on earth. And end up with kids that don't match up to kids of other nations. Isn't it about time we ask where is our money going to?
    when I was i school, we made book covers out of brown paper sacks, now most kids have "Stupid" phones, ya really can't call em a "Smart" phone, cause they enable users to become stupid, because after all, if it's on the internet..........

do kids even learn basic arithmetic today ? or is a calculator needed to add 2+7 ? high schools have done away with shop classes, home economics, cash registers have had pictures of hamburgers for years at fast food joints.

Was the boomer generation the last to learn how to do square roots longhand ?

RandyO
    IBA#9560

You are right Randy. I like the facebook meme that was going around that showed a purple haired kid. Above "they" it said they think they are going to start a revolution. They can't even start a lawnmower. Time to demand answers from our educators. They get a "F" in job performance and results.

CLICK BELOW TO PROTECT YOUR FRAGILITY (Get a set of raisins like Vovchandr you pansies)

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    You are right Randy. I like the facebook meme that was going around that showed a purple haired kid. Above "they" it said they think they are going to start a revolution. They can't even start a lawnmower. Time to demand answers from our educators. They get a "F" in job performance and results.
    Purple hair + "they" aren't taught in algebra. It's the result of the terrible boomers parenting and making and giving out participation trophies.

Reap what you sow.

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    Purple hair + "they" aren't taught in algebra. It's the result of the terrible boomers parenting and making and giving out participation trophies.

Reap what you sow.
    Could be true. Prolly is. So we raised YOU to raise "needs safe spaces" kids. We must of messed up with you. But that doesn't change the fact that we are not getting our $$$$$$$$ worth with today's education system.
    PS I commend you for not being a fragile lefty. Lefty yes fragile no. If I drank I would drink with you.

my kids aren't the ones with purple hair, maybe my grandchildren

RandyO
    IBA#9560

My wife currently has purple hair, I'm not seeing the problem.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC / 2016 KTM 500XC W

I think it's funny how people always want to cut military spending. The defense industry is huge. A very large portion of federal tax revenue comes from payroll and income taxes. Think about the amount of federal tax revenue the defense industry generates through the salaries it's paying to it's workers. Not only that, but think about the impact the reduction in such jobs would have on the economy overall which in turn could further impact tax revenue.

Now, would the government still save money by cutting defense spending? Sure, but my question is how much would it actually save when you consider the impact of eliminating those jobs.

In short...It's about more than cutting spending on things "we don't need". It's about the entire industry and jobs that support it.

To go even further down the rabbit hole...You also have to consider the costs that some government programs are put in place to mitigate. Sure, there may be some spending up front but when you consider the cost that we would incur in the absence of such spending the picture changes and suddenly "cutting spending" doesn't really make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    I think it's funny how people always want to cut military spending. The defense industry is huge. A very large portion of federal tax revenue comes from payroll and income taxes. Think about the amount of federal tax revenue the defense industry generates through the salaries it's paying to it's workers. Not only that, but think about the impact the reduction in such jobs would have on the economy overall which in turn could further impact tax revenue.

Now, would the government still save money by cutting defense spending? Sure, but my question is how much would it actually save when you consider the impact of eliminating those jobs.

In short...It's about more than cutting spending on things "we don't need". It's about the entire industry and jobs that support it.

To go even further down the rabbit hole...You also have to consider the costs that some government programs are put in place to mitigate. Sure, there may be some spending up front but when you consider the cost that we would incur in the absence of such spending the picture changes and suddenly "cutting spending" doesn't really make sense.
    Are you trying to say there are tangible returns and benefits to government spending money on the people of this country?

Who would have funk it?

no question about it, we are still a military industrial economy

the $$$ should be spent on more efficient cargo ports and shipping, better trains too, electricity from tidal energy

and turning highways into slot car tracks, electric cars without batteries

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post

You think it's funny that people don't like war profiteering and find it abhorrent that the majority of our tax dollars are spent on the thousands of deaths of our own young men and women and hundreds of thousands of deaths of others? our expense is greater than the next 8 countries combined. When you spend billions or r&d eventually the bill comes. We pay for it in blood and money.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast