Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 11 of 322 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021315191 ... LastLast

Guns...

Re: Guns...

The sheriffs here asked us if we owned and knew how to use firearms because there was no way they would respond fast enough. I've said it before and I'll say it again, God help anyone that comes up that driveway with bad intent. We have a gun at every door because someone coming down my mile long driveway in the middle of nowhere isn't here to borrow sugar.

1 Not allowed!
    Original

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    herein lies the problem

guns are intended to kill. killing with them is not missuse

I see the problem as education, NRA safety course should be mandatory @ age 12
    I disagree. Most guns are weapons, and are intended for situations where force may need to be used. That may or may not involve killing; the great majority of defensive gun uses in this country don't involve even firing a shot; the aggressor is halted by the danger to him that the gun presents, and he flees or surrenders before getting shot. The intent there is to SAVE lives and property, not to take them. Using the gun to aggress IS a misuse of the gun -- that's why everyone is in favor of laws against murder, armed robbery, and all of that, no matter how much they like guns.

And of course there are lots of guns whose intent has nothing to do with killing people (hunting), or with killing anything (target guns).

While I fully support gun education, just as I do motorcycle education, and lots of other kinds of education, I do not support coercion and mandatory programs for everybody.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by timmyho414 View Post
    In NH you go down to the police station, file out paperwork, they check your record and if there is not objectionable you get your permit.
    You forgot the $10 app fee.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 12-17-12 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    So after 9/11 we have some armed pilots on the flight deck. Armed teachers in the school now?
    I think the first step would be to repeal the "gun free zones", as that just advertises that easy victims are there. Teachers and administrators who wish to (and are legally qualified to) carry arms should be allowed then to do so. If it was my school, I'd want the school to require those people to show some competence, maybe at a minimum the same qualifying test that police are required to pass, but to then allow those people to carry if they choose to. Even that simple measure would make schools much less tempting targets for these sorts of crazies, because they would not know who/which/where would be the guaranteed easy victims that they now have.

A common thread through nearly all of these events is that the killer goes to a place where there are lots of people, but those people are all prohibited from being armed. These killers are crazy, not stupid.

PhilB

1 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    sorry. it was the way you worded it. i couldnt tell if you were agreeing or not
    x2

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    You're arguing what I'm saying. I AGREEE WITH YOU FOR THE 90TH TIME. Jesus. There's all sorts of new legislation in regards to texting and its ineffective just like gun legislation due to the lack of an honest debate.
    I'm not trying to argue with you at all. I'm just saying I don't hear anything other than banning texting while driving as new laws, which are pretty useless IMO. Sorry if it came off like I was arguing, wasn't the intent.

0 Not allowed!
    -Mark
    2003 Kawasaki 636, 2006 DRZ400SM

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Does anyone know if any non us citizen can get a permit to carry? Just wondering.
    That depends on the state. Probably not in most states, but there's no law that prevents a state from allowing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Manik View Post
    I don't believe they can. (as they aren't protected by the second amendment)
    Yes, they are protected by the 2nd Amendment (and by all the rest of the Bill of Rights, for that matter) while they are in the U.S. Those rights are defined as belonging to *people*, not just citizens. In practice, their rights may not be being recognized and protected properly, but rights are for humans, and non-citizens are still humans.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!

Pulled a few interesting stats off the web for all the protect the children at all costs folks.

Headline from Mom Logic states guns kill 500 kids a year.

NHSTA's 2003 data said 2200 kids died in car accidents.
    NIH says about 1500 children die each year due to drowning.
    Safekids.org states that "since 1999, an average of 462 children ages 14 and under have died from residential fires each year."

So, no more traveling in vehicles, water is bad and even staying in an overprotective bubble at home means you're just as likely to die in a fire as you are to shoot yourself with daddy's gun.

What now?

1 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    Yep. But at least one improvement I can think of...federal licensing laws rather than State laws...will actually defeat the stated purpose of the 2nd amendment. (Which, incidently, has nothing to do with self defense). I believe that the second amendment is outdated and shouldn't be used to justify gun ownership. But, that's a path that's frought with difficulty and has lots or reasonable people that would disagree. I see little likelyhood that we will ever see the 2nd amendment revised. I'll defer to those way smarter than me to address whether there is a path that could lead to federal only gun laws that doesn't directly contradict the 2nd amendment....
    That would be no improvement, and directly in violation of the 2nd Amendment; you're right in that such would defeat the purpose of that protection. The 2nd Amendment is outdated? You think that it is impossible that the people might ever have a need to prtect themselves from their government? I strongly disagree. The 2nd Amendment will be outdated on the day that bad government and abuses of power become somehow impossible. i.e. never.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!

Guns...

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    I think the first step would be to repeal the "gun free zones", as that just advertises that easy victims are there. Teachers and administrators who wish to (and are legally qualified to) carry arms should be allowed then to do so. If it was my school, I'd want the school to require those people to show some competence, maybe at a minimum the same qualifying test that police are required to pass, but to then allow those people to carry if they choose to. Even that simple measure would make schools much less tempting targets for these sorts of crazies, because they would not know who/which/where would be the guaranteed easy victims that they now have.

A common thread through nearly all of these events is that the killer goes to a place where there are lots of people, but those people are all prohibited from being armed. These killers are crazy, not stupid.

PhilB
    Phil....the young men that commit the massacres are not afraid of being killed. They expect it. We need to keep guns away from people who will use them to create mayhem and improve the treatment available. Whatever it takes...

0 Not allowed!
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
    Muhammad Ali.

Pulled a few interesting stats off the web for all the protect the children at all costs folks.

Headline from Mom Logic states guns kill 500 kids a year.

NHSTA's 2003 data said 2200 kids died in car accidents.
    NIH says about 1500 children die each year due to drowning.
    Safekids.org states that "since 1999, an average of 462 children ages 14 and under have died from residential fires each year."

So, no more traveling in vehicles, water is bad and even staying in an overprotective bubble at home means you're just as likely to die in a fire as you are to shoot yourself with daddy's gun.

What now?

We're too primative a "civilzation" to answer that question.

1 Not allowed!

You think that it is impossible that the people might ever have a need to protect themselves from their government? I strongly disagree.
    PhilB
    Personally, I am not worried about the government... and don't think anyone else should be.

Not that I think the government is good and would never hurt a citizen - but because I believe if the government really wants to "take you down", you're done. There is no weapon you could have in your house to prevent this.

If you want to ensure you will die before going to jail, then a simple revolver will do the trick.

I am much more concerned with protecting myself from the bad citizens than the bad government.

0 Not allowed!
    Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I would be fine with that... The problem there will be that you can modify many semi auto weapons to go full auto if you want to AND a semi auto with hi cap mags is gonna do almost as much damage.
    Actually, few semi-auto guns can readily be modified to fire full-auto; it's possible, but doing so is an involved process that requires many modifications. It's kind of like converting your bike to run on diesel -- it's possible, but not simple. It is true that a semi-auto can do nearly as much damage, which shows again the silliness and futility of "assault weapons" bans, which focus on scary-looking semi-autos that are in reality no more dangerous (indeed generally less powerful) than a normal semi-auto hunting rifle.

Full auto weapons are already highly restricted and tracked and taxed at the federal level, and entirely illegal in many states. (Entirely in violation of the 2nd Amendment, mind you.)

PhilB

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    The 2008 supreme court ruling was directly related to the issue of if the second relates to things like self defense.

For whoever called me out thinking that my reasoning was due to my lack of understanding of the constitution etc I suggest you read the courts decision there, but more importantly the dissent. Both actually. My views are consistent with those Justices so if I don't understand, at least I'm not the only one!

This isn't a place for a discussion over the validity of a living constitution but to say my opinion is because of a lack of understanding? Lame.

I stand by what I have said. I believe that guns should be very difficult to get and restrictions should be very tight. If the current laws allow this to take place by enforcement great, if new laws need to be created I am fine with that as well. As others have previously stated I believe we do have a problem with gun violence in this country and at least part of it is related to access. Its my opinion, and if you disagree great.
    I have almost zero faith and confidence in the Supreme Court as an honest arbiter of the Constitution. Their record at that sucks bigtime.

And you are of course entitled to your own opinion. What you're not entitled to is to enforce your opinion on me or anyone else. So talk about it all you like, but when it comes to the laws, the rights of the people (should) trump your opinion.

PhilB

1 Not allowed!

Phil....the young men that commit the massacres are not afraid of being killed. They expect it. We need to keep guns away from people who will use them to create mayhem and improve the treatment available. Whatever it takes...
    An assault weapons ban will barely slow them down. Quite frankly I'm surprised guns are even the weapon of choice for these dick heads.

The cold, horrible reality is that banning all guns isn't going to fix this.

2 Not allowed!

Actually, few semi-auto guns can readily be modified to fire full-auto; it's possible, but doing so is an involved process that requires many modifications. It's kind of like converting your bike to run on diesel -- it's possible, but not simple. It is true that a semi-auto can do nearly as much damage, which shows again the silliness and futility of "assault weapons" bans, which focus on scary-looking semi-autos that are in reality no more dangerous (indeed generally less powerful) than a normal semi-auto hunting rifle.

Full auto weapons are already highly restricted and tracked and taxed at the federal level, and entirely illegal in many states. (Entirely in violation of the 2nd Amendment, mind you.)

PhilB
    Thank you! There was a thread around not too long ago that I unsuccessfully tried to explain the difficulties of full auto conversions but the ignorant seem to have the loudest voices. I maintain you should have to answer a quiz before you can have any input in a firearms discussion.

1 Not allowed!
    [/IMG][/URL]

They are not afraid of being killed in the end, but they are careful to not get killed right away -- to pick situations where they will be able to do the most damage and get the most notoriety/news/impact they can. You can't completely prevent this kind of thing, but people onsite who are prepared to render a good defense can minimize the damage. For example, the mall shooting that happened the same week, that was cut short by a citizen who was armed. How many lives did he save? We can't know, but quite a few. (Which you won't be hearing on the news, and won't be admitted by the anti-gun people.)

I agree that we should do whatever we can to keep guns away from violent people, SHORT of violating the rights of non-violent people.

I do agree that it's worth doing a lot more research on mental health to try to figure out how and why people explode like that, and that we should use what we do know about that (which isn't much yet, really) to try to screen and treat likely sufferers. THAT is the cause, and the most rational and effective avenue to pursue.

PhilB

1 Not allowed!

Guns...

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    An assault weapons ban will barely slow them down. Quite frankly I'm surprised guns are even the weapon of choice for these dick heads.

The cold, horrible reality is that banning all guns isn't going to fix this.
    Calling these people 'dick heads' shows remarkable lack of understanding.

Why shouldn't guns be the weapon of choice? Really?

And once again a call to keep guns away from the very few is misconstrued as a desire to ban all guns.

...disappointing response to a critical issue for this country...

0 Not allowed!
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
    Muhammad Ali.

Why shouldn't guns be the weapon of choice? Really?

Fuel oil, fertilizer and a Ryder truck has proven much more effective in the past

3 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post
    Personally, I am not worried about the government... and don't think anyone else should be.

Not that I think the government is good and would never hurt a citizen - but because I believe if the government really wants to "take you down", you're done. There is no weapon you could have in your house to prevent this.

If you want to ensure you will die before going to jail, then a simple revolver will do the trick.

I am much more concerned with protecting myself from the bad citizens than the bad government.
    You are free to not be worried about that. I think history shows that it's a genuine worry. The existence of the 2nd Amendment shows that out founders were worried about that (with some justification, considering they had just spent 13 years doing it).

What you are not free to do, either ethically or Constitutionally, is to decide that no one else who is worried about that is allowed to effectively address their worries.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!

Fuel oil, fertilizer and a Ryder truck has proven much more effective in the past
    Come on Mark. You're smarter than that. The reality, which you seem to want to deny, it that guns ARE the weapon of choice for the vast majority of these horrific attacks. McVeigh was a corner case with a specific agenda.

I say this with all due respect!

0 Not allowed!
    Muhammad Ali.

And that's why you can't buy ammonium nitrate in bulk. Assholes

0 Not allowed!
    [/IMG][/URL]

Hmmm... how did organized crime get it's start? Oh that's right, alcohol prohibition.

The Mexican drug cartels that are terrorizing the entire country of Mexico and killing women and children every day? Drug prohibition.

Gun prohibition would lead to the most violent organized crime this country has seen.

2 Not allowed!
    Original

Come on Mark. You're smarter than that. The reality, which you seem to want to deny, it that guns ARE the weapon of choice for the vast majority of these horrific attacks. McVeigh was a corner case with a specific agenda.

I say this with all due respect!
    There are lots of ways to kill unarmed people gathered in a small space. Sure they mostly pikc guns, because guns are the most convenient and effective method today. But do you think that if someone who is so focused on doing something like this that he doesn't mind dying to do it will be stopped by not having a gun? He'll pick another method and make a bomb, or use fire, or something else. These people are crazy, but they are not stupid. Quite the opposite, most of them turn out to have had well above average intelligence, and to have planned their acts carefully.

A friend of mine owns a construction company in CO, and was tasked with rehabbing the building that the Aurora killer lived in. He says that the intricacy and detail of what he did to his apartment was astounding. Lacking a gun, that guy would have had no trouble using another method for his mayhem; he had the knowledge and tools.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!

I have had my eye on a new gun even prior to the latest events , and found a good deal on one searching websites over the weekend , I went to the gun shop after work this evening , 1 hour before closing , there were 4 customers in front of me buying guns and 3 waiting behind me , the phone was ringing almost the whole time I was there . The shop owner said that it had been like that all day and there were people in the parking lot before they opened waiting in line .
    The stack of gun transfer paperwork for the day on the desk was pretty tall .
    2 different people in the shop when I was there were buying .223 amo 1,000 rounds at a time .
    It could have just been the holiday rush , but more likely related to recent events .

it was as if Hostess was going out of business and people were stocking up on twinkies in fear that they will no longer be able to get them

0 Not allowed!
    12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Quote Originally Posted by gadget View Post

It would be nice if the Gun Industry would admit some responsibility for keeping guns out of these sick people hands.
    Perhaps publically support better healthcare...

Oh sure. And while you're at it, why not tell those pesky distillers and brewers they have to take responsibility for all the drunk drivers that kill people too. Not to mention all the liver disease that can be attributed to it, and any number of ailments.

Oh! And those damn companies that make aspirin and other non-steroid anti-imflammatories! They kill 3-4x the number of people as firearms annually. Definitely need to ban and/or greatly control that stuff!

People like you are completely hypocritical in my opinion. Go for the guns, not the people. Hold the item responsible, not the person using it. Go for the thing that actually protects people more often than is reported because you are simply scared of it.

And aren't you one of those people that talks crap about the police too? Sure. Take the normal citizen's guns away, but make sure t leave them in the hands of the people that you and others like you complain about. Seems legit. Makes sense.

3 Not allowed!