Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 282 of 282 FirstFirst ... 202242262272273274275276277278279280281282
Results 7,026 to 7,048 of 7048

Guns...

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Re: Guns...

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    thoughts on a Savage Arms Axis in 30-06 ? can be had new with scope in the $300-$400 price range. wood stocks are cheapest, composite, more, and camo, most
    You get what you pay for. The Axis is built to be a budget rifle. If your expectation is that it will feel, and perform like a $300 rifle, then you won't be disappointed. If your expectation is that it will feel and perform like a $1000 rifle, then you'll be sorely disappointed.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    If your expectation is that it will feel and perform like a $1000 rifle, then you'll be sorely disappointed.
    obviously, I didn't shoot it in the store, but it felt better than the $1k carbon fiber gun that I handled for comparison, but then again, $1k is on the low end of carbon fiber stocks

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

obviously, I didn't shoot it in the store, but it felt better than the $1k carbon fiber gun that I handled for comparison, but then again, $1k is on the low end of carbon fiber stocks
    I'm not talking about stocks. Stocks are subjective, and have no moving parts. I'm talking about quality barreled actions. It's not in the same universe as a Savage 112, so if that's what your expecting, then buy a Savage 112.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    I'm not talking about stocks. Stocks are subjective, and have no moving parts. I'm talking about quality barreled actions. It's not in the same universe as a Savage 112, so if that's what your expecting, then buy a Savage 112.
    I'm not looking for .338 Lapua, nor am I looking for a single shot

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by RandyO; 10-11-17 at 03:35 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

iTrader Score

Mossberg Patriot ?

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

I just went bottom of the barrel and bought a Remington 770 in .243 for the kids to use as a nicer step-up than the one they were using. $250.00 with scope.

I'll letchya'll know how I feel about it tomorrow night...

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    I just went bottom of the barrel and bought a Remington 770 in .243 for the kids to use as a nicer step-up than the one they were using. $250.00 with scope.

I'll letchya'll know how I feel about it tomorrow night...
    Whoa! Not a bad rifle so far for a cheapie. Took about 12 shots at about 40 yards to get the sight zoomed in. Once I got it set for my fucked up eyes, it only took a few shots to get it sighted for Canaan. Definitely a bottom-of-the-barrel scope - the adjustments were far from true. Ended up running about 50 rounds through it, everyone on target once we sighted it in. Not bad for short money...

I'd consider it an inexpensive rifle built by a very reputable manufacturer. Bolt action is a bit sloppy and initially was far from smooth. I found by slopping it up with some natural lube really made a difference in the slide. The four shot magazine is a little rough removing and inserting, but I'd expect that to smooth out a bit too...

Other than that, initial impressions of this inexpensive rifle are favorable. We'll be spending the weekend out in the woods with it this weekend for Youth Hunting Weekend. I'm sure it'll get banged around, damp, clanged & tossed around...

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

thoughts on a Savage Arms Axis in 30-06 ? can be had new with scope in the $300-$400 price range. wood stocks are cheapest, composite, more, and camo, most

$350 and in stock at Bass Pro in Hooksett in .30-06 with True Timber finish. This is what I set out to get in .243 for the kids, but they didn't have any in stock. I ended up walking across the parking lot to Wally World and ended up with the Remington 770 in all black. Saved myself $100 or so to boot...

Just get it already. A $350 rifle will do more than you'd want it to for your lifetime. Take proper care of it and you won't have a bad day with it. I hardly think you'll notice a $200 difference between the Patriot & Axis...

If you come down during the week, let me know. We'll meet for lunch or some shit. Fuck, if you head down on the weekend I may join you anyway...

BTW - the Axis also comes in left-handed models for only $20 more MSRP...

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

The 770 is a pretty solid rifle, especially for the cost. I think at that price point it's a better choice than the Savage or the Ruger.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    The 770 is a pretty solid rifle, especially for the cost. I think at that price point it's a better choice than the Savage or the Ruger.
    It's not a BAD rifle, certainly not for $250. I went in to this expecting a $250 rifle. Albeit I've only run about 50 rounds through it, it's already exceeded my expectations...

Some of my favorite firearms are the ones I've spent the least on. My $100, nearly 50-year old lever-action .30-.30 is still my go to. Killed me a deer with it last year even...

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

I'm surprised at the price you can pick up an older Winchester or Marlin 30-30 at last gun show I attended. I really like the cowboy rifles.

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I'm surprised at the price you can pick up an older Winchester or Marlin 30-30 at last gun show I attended. I really like the cowboy rifles.
    I bought that 30-30 about 30 years ago. It was my first firearm purchase when I turned 18. It's a Western Field that was a Montgomery Ward "house brand". I learned they were manu'd & supplied by Marlin. I guess Montgomery Ward was selling so many of them Marlin broke the contract with them and started selling them for themselves...

To this day it's by far my favorite rifle. I swear you could load a cartridge with dog shit and it will still fire true...

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

I have my father's old model 94, and I have a matching 9422. He hated me using that 94 for hunting, didn't like the way one bullet's nose sat against the next bullet's primer. I could see that, but you'd really have to whack it pretty hard to cause ignition.

There is an old Sears brand shotgun floating around the family. Funny back in the day of the big department store catalog branding, those couple of stores offered everything you could want. My grandfather had a Montgomery Ward outboard on his fishing boat. Pretty sure it was an evinrude. And it was all built to last, not built for bottom line.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Guns...-img_20171017_213230370-jpg

Just cleaned, lubed & wiped down. I'll be taking it out tonight to make sure my eyes aren't too much more fucked up than last year. Muzzleloader open next weekend!

Yes, it's a left-handed model. My wife had it made for me following certain specs from my favorite rifle (the previously mentioned 30-30). Possibly the coolest gift EVER. Thompson Renegade .50 caliber. My plan is to FINALLY whack a deer with it, retire it, mount it for display and get a new inline...

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Randy ~ I just sent you a link via FB Messenger...

Yeah, I have to let Randy know that...

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

got yer message, I'll have to check into the Remington @ Walmart, looks like it will fit the bill $100 cheaper than what I was looking at at Coyote Creek.

I should go to a gunsmith to see what it would cost to re-barrel my .32-40 into a .30-30, I got it from my great grandfather, Its a 124 year old Marlin '93 that was originally an octagonal barrel .32 special, because the barrel has been changed already, it wouldn't devalue it to change it again

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

iTrader Score

So, I went to local Walmart to look at the Remington 770 in 30-06, no way, I decided to go for the Savage Axis instead, $140 more, but better optics in the scope, much smoother and easier to pull the magazine out, and better balance overall, bolt action about the same in both, although the Savage bolt has slightly larger dimensions. argh! Walmart doesn't sell to people that live in post office boxes, I'll buy it tomorrow at Coyote Creek

We did however come home with a gun, Anne bought a 10-22

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

iTrader Score
    3 (100%)

So, I went to local Walmart to look at the Remington 770 in 30-06, no way, I decided to go for the Savage Axis instead, $140 more, but better optics in the scope, much smoother and easier to pull the magazine out, and better balance overall, bolt action about the same in both, although the Savage bolt has slightly larger dimensions. argh! Walmart doesn't sell to people that live in post office boxes, I'll buy it tomorrow at Coyote Creek

Nice , I bought my Wife a 10/22 last month and just sighted it in using a Cabelas scope. seems pretty sweet
    Guns...-22050147_865684966942216_1024994269295222408_n-jpg

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Gimme a shout when you pick up the rifle!

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by zxme View Post
    Nice , I bought my Wife a 10/22 last month and just sighted it in using a Cabelas scope. seems pretty sweet
    Guns...-22050147_865684966942216_1024994269295222408_n-jpg
    i have the same one...i love mine...it's a tack driver...slapped on a cheap simmons scope and getting ready to swap it into a magpul x22 stock...oem stock doesn't lend to a good cheek weld for me and i didn't want a cheek pad, i'd rather have plastic

1 Not allowed!
    bike: 10 Bonneville SE
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread
    "last night i told myself no but i knew i wanted it"
    -Ryan

iTrader Score

just picked up my Savage Axis 30-06, decided to go with the traditional wooden stock rather than a composite stock, not only a little less money, also feels better balance wise.

Savage has an awesome deal on the Axis 20% off $460 - $72 = $368 cash today + a $50 rebate when I send in the registration coupon to Savage, final price $318
    Guns...-img_1717-jpg

4 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

My buddy has a Savage one model up from the Axis in .223. Thing is just stupid accurate right out of the box. At 60 yards (small range), I shot the string hanging a milk jug on my first try. With a .223 bullet. Jesus it's a tack driver. That company makes some nice shooting rifles for not a lot of duckets.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; Yesterday at 09:43 AM.
    -Clayton
    2009 KTM 200 XC
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1986 Honda Oldwing Medicaide
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    My buddy has a Savage one model up from the Axis in .223. .
    is that the Trophy Hunter XP ? if so, same deal as the Axis, 20% off $50 rebate

fwiw, mine is actually the Axis II, same as the Axis but with adjustable trigger

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560