Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Give up Your Guns?

Re: Give up Your Guns?

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I feel like we also need a controversial topics pix and memes thread. a thread for pics and memes only with no bickering.

Yeah, and unicorns too.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by dhuze View Post
    Yeah, and unicorns too.
    I've seen at least one "mostly" successful attempt. there is sometimes back and forth within, but for the most part people are shamed into taking it elsewhere.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    A criminal broke more laws?
    Reports indicate that police were alerted to him discharging weapons on his property after he was banned from owning them, did not search his residence since he refused to answer the door when they arrived.

So let me get this straight.

Guy is a known nutjob.

Gets his guns taken away.

Stabs his neighbor.

Gets out of jail.

Neighbors report to police him firing weapons again.

Knock Knock Knock. Oh well. He didn't answer the door.

He goes and kills a bunch of people with those firearms.

Yeah, someone didn't do their job, did they.....

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Reports indicate that police were alerted to him discharging weapons on his property after he was banned from owning them, did not search his residence since he refused to answer the door when they arrived.

Guy is a known nutjob.

Stabs his neighbor.

Gets out of jail.

Youíre right. People didnít do their jobs.

The failure of our criminal system is also evident.

He should have been behind bars for his previous crimes.

If he would have been locked up then he wouldnít have been out killing people.

He broke many laws. He should have been held accountable for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Guy is a known nutjob.

Stabs his neighbor.

Gets out of jail.

you're making a bold assumption about having or not having a warrant, unless I missed out on some intel.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

From what I read, in this situation, the police would have had probable cause to enter the home to search for the illegal firearms. People are still trying to find out why they did not do that in this case.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    You’re right. People didn’t do their jobs.

The failure of our criminal system is also evident.

He should have been behind bars for his previous crimes.

If he would have been locked up then he wouldn’t have been out killing people.

He broke many laws. He should have been held accountable for them.

In this case, yes.

In the case of people like Adam Lanza, who did not have a criminal record, or the shooter in Vegas, are we to just simply accept that "this is going to happen"?

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

In this case, yes.

In the case of people like Adam Lanza, who did not have a criminal record, or the shooter in Vegas, are we to just simply accept that "this is going to happen"?
    If we want the freedoms and liberties associated with innocent until proven guilty then we need to take the good and the bad.

This isnít just limited to murders/shootings. We also take the good and bad with our other rights if we want to maintain ďfreedomĒ

Letís talk about Adam though. He was diagnosed with several mental disorders from a young age. I️m not sure of CT laws but he stole his motherís guns. He didnít legally obtain them.

Can we reduce mass murder? I️d like to say yes. Iím more than open minded about it. But again, letís focus on the criminal acts regardless of guns.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Lifer

I've seen at least one "mostly" successful attempt. there is sometimes back and forth within, but for the most part people are shamed into taking it elsewhere.
    I've seen it done where your reply must contain a picture. It also works best if there's an already existing thread to tell people to take the discussions.

nedirtriders.com

Indeed, this is an illustrative example. Britain did nearly eliminate *gun* deaths. Did they eliminate violent deaths? No, not even close. As gun deaths fell, knife violence rose, until they had to then ban carrying of knives. Did that fix it? No, other weapons are now prevalent for violence, and they are floating the idea of restricting ownership of knives in the home. Meanwhile, crime has not fallen, and the ordinary citizen is not allowed to defend himself effectively *in his own home*. I do not see this as any sort of positive result, and wouldn't consent to that sort of arrangement if you paid me.

PhilB

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    Indeed, this is an illustrative example. Britain did nearly eliminate *gun* deaths. Did they eliminate violent deaths? No, not even close. As gun deaths fell, knife violence rose, until they had to then ban carrying of knives. Did that fix it? No, other weapons are now prevalent for violence, and they are floating the idea of restricting ownership of knives in the home. Meanwhile, crime has not fallen, and the ordinary citizen is not allowed to defend himself effectively *in his own home*. I do not see this as any sort of positive result, and wouldn't consent to that sort of arrangement if you paid me.

PhilB

I think even you might agree that the numbers don't necessarily tell the whole story here. It takes a lot more commitment to stab someone than to pull the trigger. Those are the criminals that were going to kill anyway, in my opinion. I don't think most of the mass shooters we've seen recently have the same gumption. by comparison, its a cowardly act.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    There's not a single state in the U.S. that I'm aware of where all you need is a driver's license.......nice try ms watts....
    don't even need a drivers license, in NH, private sales are exempt, just have to personally know the person and that they are not a felon

RSA 159:14
    RSA 159:10

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

don't even need a drivers license, in NH, private sales are exempt, just have to personally know the person and that they are not a felon
    So I have a license to conceal carry in Mass went though all the hoops that that takes paid to renew this passed year.
    Moved to NH went to the local PD station ask about gun laws and what I should do? They could care less about how many guns or what kind or if I am a crazy person. No need to register or get a permit. Just know that if I am on a boat or off road vehicle the rules are different? So you move into the state and you are now legal does not matter how you got the guns, all's well.

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    So I have a license to conceal carry in Mass went though all the hoops that that takes paid to renew this passed year.
    Moved to NH went to the local PD station ask about gun laws and what I should do? They could care less about how many guns or what kind or if I am a crazy person. No need to register or get a permit. Just know that if I am on a boat or off road vehicle the rules are different? So you move into the state and you are now legal does not matter how you got the guns, all's well.
    Welcome to a state that recognizes rights vs trampling on them. Don't Mass it up.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Don't forget that when you move out of MA, you need to report that you are removing firearms from the state and turn in your LTC as well.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Welcome to a state that recognizes rights vs trampling on them. Don't Mass it up.
    unless you want to smoke weed.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Just a tad lax if you ask me.
    Don't forget that when you move out of MA, you need to report that you are removing firearms from the state and turn in your LTC as well.
    Checking on that. Figured something like that needs to be done.
    Well its a gateway drug after all.

Last edited by MUZ720; 11-16-17 at 06:10 PM.

Despite what you consider lax, New Hampshire still has a lower murder rate than Massachusetts and I'm pretty sure just about the rest of the country too.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX-12R; 11-16-17 at 07:07 PM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Checking on that. Figured something like that needs to be done.

Well its a gateway drug after all.
    gateway to Doritos.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

gateway to Doritos.
    Oreo's

It's worked out well for them, VT and countless other states over the years. If you have children you might consider moving back behind the iron curtain, you know, for their safety. Wouldn't want them to freak out when they a 15 y/o wandering around with a rifle across their back. It's deer season right now.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Despite what you consider lax, New Hampshire still has a lower murder rate than Massachusetts and I'm pretty sure just about the rest of the country too.
    I think VT has them beat, despite having firearms laws that are like 3 sentences and always having Constitutional Carry.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, the derp is strong on that one. They must make too much money on hassling people about it or something.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

As an NH resident, and libertarian, I call that a good thing to have one's rights respected.

Yep, that's a thing that needs fixing, and we're working on it. The odd thing is that several times in the past few years, bills making marijuana more legal have passed in legislatures dominated by Republicans, only to get vetoed by Democrat governors.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 11-16-17 at 07:34 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

It's worked out well for them, VT and countless other states over the years. If you have children you might consider moving back behind the iron curtain, you know, for their safety. Wouldn't want them to freak out when they a 15 y/o wandering around with a rifle across their back. It's deer season right now.
    As long as there wearing orange.. and not trespassing. I am cool.