Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 26 123456789101121 ... LastLast

Hillary

Hillary

LET US DISCUSS THE DEMOCRATIC FRONTRUNNER

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Rambunctous; 02-24-15 at 04:27 PM.
    May the road rise to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, May the sun shine warm upon your face.

Re: Hillary

She represents an opportunity for the Republicans to get my vote. If she is the D nom, and the R nom is Rand Paul, I'll vote R. Any other D, or any other R (out of those under serious consideration), and Gary Johnson gets my vote again. Longer term, if the Rs ever nominate Justin Amash, I'll vote for him. Can't think of any others. Can't think of any Ds I'd ever vote for. But Hillary is the one I'd want badly enough to vote against.

PhilB

1 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

If not her - and I am not a Sen. Clinton supporter - then who?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    She represents an opportunity for the Republicans to get my vote. If she is the D nom, and the R nom is Rand Paul, I'll vote R. Any other D, or any other R (out of those under serious consideration), and Gary Johnson gets my vote again. Longer term, if the Rs ever nominate Justin Amash, I'll vote for him. Can't think of any others. Can't think of any Ds I'd ever vote for. But Hillary is the one I'd want badly enough to vote against.

PhilB
    Scott Walker Governor of Wisconsin has peaked my interest enuf to check him out

Potential presidential candidate Walker to visit NH | Politics - WMUR Home

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post

Thanks, but I'd prefer that my Presidential candidates actually graduated from college.

3 Not allowed!
    Last edited by number9; 02-24-15 at 05:40 PM. Reason: For some reason I wrote "colleague" instead of "college"

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Thanks, but I'd prefer that my Presidential candidates actually graduated from college.
    Why?

3 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Why?
    Because it's a complex world and I would prefer that my POTUS has a comprehensive grasp of this country, the world and its issues. Not saying that a college degree guarantees that, but geez I would like the "leader of the free world" to be able to get through college successfully.

1 Not allowed!

Like Obama? ......I couldn't help myself. Just a joke.

0 Not allowed!
    May the road rise to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, May the sun shine warm upon your face.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    Maybe I don't get the joke?

For what it's worth, I didn't vote for Pres. Obama either.

0 Not allowed!

I would like someone who didn't spend a lifetime in politics. Someone who worked, sent kids to college, maybe served in the military, who payed for a mortgage, who has health insurance like the rest of us and knows what it is like to need Social Security. I would want someone who knows what it is like to PAY TAXES. Who lived the American Dream and now wants to give something back to the country they love. I know that is a pipe dream. Just saying.

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post

I'm aware of him, and like the rest of the R field, he's got a few good points, and a lot of bad ones. I don't care whether he has a degree or not, but I do care about positions on all the issues, and he's pretty much an establishment conservative right down the line.

As a libertarian, I don't see the conservatives as having much better of a platform than the liberals, taken as a whole. As a realist, both parties are very nearly equally to blame for the parlous state of our country. I think the only hope is to build up some viable alternatives, some independent parties and candidates, so that we have some chance of getting some decent choices to vote for someday. Looking at the fields put forth by both the Ds and the Rs right now, I don't see how anyone can rationally argue that we don't need that very badly.

I graduated from the idea of voting for the "lesser of two evils" a long time ago, and am not inclined to do that unless the choice is *really* stark. Like I said above, Rand vs. Hillary is enough of a lesser evil that I might fall for it. Otherwise, third party it is.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    I'm not a fan of Obama, but he made it to editor of Harvard Law Review. First Black Elected to Head Harvard's Law Review - NYTimes.com. With that accomplishment, not only did he graduate, he pretty much "won" college...and regardless of opinions on his politics or policies, it's hard to argue that he's not one of the most intelligent presidents we've had in a long time. At least he can pronounce "nuclear," and for the leader of the free world, that's pretty important, too.

<sigh> if Hillary gets the nod for D candidate for president, I can't think of any front running opponent I would NOT vote for. What this with kings and queens, what are we, England now? As far as I'm concerned, term limits should apply to close relatives too, so if Jeb Bush gets the nod as the R candidate, that might be the opponent I couldn't vote for, for the same reason. Hoping to see an elected third or other party candidate in my lifetime...

1 Not allowed!

The problems with the presidents we have been getting aren't lack of education, or lack of intelligence. They are lack of ethics and lack of regard for our Constitution. I'd happily vote for a high school dropout who is honest and grasps the Constitution as it is actually written, over the brilliantly educated weasels we've been getting.

PhilB

10 Not allowed!

The problems with the presidents we have been getting aren't lack of education, or lack of intelligence. They are lack of ethics and lack of regard for our Constitution. I'd happily vote for a high school dropout who is honest and grasps the Constitution as it is actually written, over the brilliantly educated weasels we've been getting.

PhilB
    I agree with the first two sentences. Honest high school dropout for president, no thanks.

0 Not allowed!

PhilB
    Maybe, Phil, it is not the fact that they are educated. Maybe it is where they are educated.

0 Not allowed!

The thing that annoys me about Hillary is that she's only where she is because of Bill. Bill meanwhile, is arguably the luckiest president in history given the coinciding of key circumstances with his time in office (tech boom, low gas prices, etc.) The fact is Bill was only an average president and really had little to do with the prosperity we saw during his administration (most presidents don't).

My favorite is when people start ranting about Bill and and the "surplus". Really??? The power of the purse is in the executive branch? That's before we get into the fact that technically he continued to spend by borrowing money through internal "IOU"s.

Then comes the economy...The economy was so great because of him. Really??? The tech boom and rock bottom gas prices had nothing to do with it? Not saying he was a bad president, but he gets waaay more credit than he deserves.

It seems whenever the topic of Hillary comes up, Bill's legacy gets dragged in and it drives me nuts. Hillary is not Bill, and Bill was really an average president.

So what makes Hillary worthy of her status? I'm being serious and really asking. Has she really done anything other being married to Bill that makes her worthy of being where she is?

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    The fact is Bill was only an average president.
    LOL

0 Not allowed!

So what makes Hillary worthy of her status? I'm being serious and really asking. Has she really done anything other being married to Bill that makes her worthy of being where she is?
    What status? Every single person I've spoken to on both sides of the aisle thinks she is a horrible candidate. If she gets the nomination, it'll be because of bill and her perceived electability. If she gets the presidency, it'll be because "we gave a black guy a chance, it's only fair a woman gets one too" (or, possibly, because the republicans put up someone even more reprehensible)

I think the republicans better be sure of their positions and promises, because it's looking like the congress and president may actually have a chance to ungridlock themselves and get some ideas through, if a Republican wins the presidency and has both houses aligned.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Because it's a complex world and I would prefer that my POTUS has a comprehensive grasp of this country, the world and its issues. Not saying that a college degree guarantees that, but geez I would like the "leader of the free world" to be able to get through college successfully.
    Able to get through, implying this guy wasn't able to? I'd agree if you tried and failed at college, presidency probably isn't for you. But choosing another path doesn't seem like a disqualifier if they were doing other meaningful things.

1 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Presidents who did not graduate from college

George Washington (The death of his father ended Washington's formal schooling; however, he believed strongly in formal education. In his will, he left money and/or stocks to support three educational institutions.[1])
    Andrew Jackson
    Martin Van Buren
    William Henry Harrison (attended college but never received a degree)
    Zachary Taylor
    Millard Fillmore (founded the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York)
    Abraham Lincoln (had only about a year of formal schooling of any kind)
    Andrew Johnson
    Grover Cleveland
    William McKinley (attended Allegheny College (did not graduate) and Albany Law School (graduated with honors))
    Harry S. Truman (went to business college and law school but did not receive a degree)

2 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

The thing that annoys me about Hillary is that she's only where she is because of Bill. Bill meanwhile, is arguably the luckiest president in history given the coinciding of key circumstances with his time in office (tech boom, low gas prices, etc.) The fact is Bill was only an average president and really had little to do with the prosperity we saw during his administration (most presidents don't).

My favorite is when people start ranting about Bill and and the "surplus". Really??? The power of the purse is in the executive branch? That's before we get into the fact that technically he continued to spend by borrowing money through internal "IOU"s.

Then comes the economy...The economy was so great because of him. Really??? The tech boom and rock bottom gas prices had nothing to do with it? Not saying he was a bad president, but he gets waaay more credit than he deserves.

It seems whenever the topic of Hillary comes up, Bill's legacy gets dragged in and it drives me nuts. Hillary is not Bill, and Bill was really an average president.

I think it's pretty likely that Bill only got to where he did because Hillary made it happen. She makes Machiavelli look like a piker. Don't underestimate her capability.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!

Would you keep that line of thinking and not use a mechanic who didn't graduate from UTI or some other trade school?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
    Would you keep that line of thinking and not use a mechanic who didn't graduate from UTI or some other trade school?
    No

0 Not allowed!

Just like in real life, a college degree is important for hiring in your first job or two. After that, it's your work experience and what you can show you can do. I would hope that anyone we are in danger of electing as president isn't running for his first job. So for Scott Walker, for example, the question shouldn't be "did he graduate from college?"; it should be "how has he done as governor?" The answer to the latter question, though, is "mixed results".

PhilB

0 Not allowed!

HE COULD BE HER VP WITH HIS PINK GIRLY BIKE TOO

Hillary-080614kerrypinkbike01-jpg

HE WOULD LOOK SO MUCH BETTER WITH A MATCHING HELMET

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Rambunctous; 02-25-15 at 12:39 AM.

Page 1 of 26 123456789101121 ... LastLast