Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111222 ... LastLast

Hillary

Re: Hillary

I'd rather have someone that didn't go to college than another idealistic lawyer in office.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    HE COULD BE HER VP WITH HIS PINK GIRLY BIKE TOO

Attachment 41840

HE WOULD LOOK SO MUCH BETTER WITH A MATCHING HELMET
    I don't think helmets are made in that size

0 Not allowed!

I'd rather have real life experience any day.
    I know a few that went to college and are not to impressive by any standard.

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    Just like in real life, a college degree is important for hiring in your first job or two. After that, it's your work experience and what you can show you can do. I would hope that anyone we are in danger of electing as president isn't running for his first job. So for Scott Walker, for example, the question shouldn't be "did he graduate from college?"; it should be "how has he done as governor?" The answer to the latter question, though, is "mixed results".

PhilB
    As I said, he has peaked my interest enuf to check him out, I prefer a president that has had executive experience and not legislative experience , being a governor is a big + in my book over senate experience

what peaked my interest is that he won a recall election by a larger margin than the initial election, I am most interested in learning about the "budget repair plan" that he promoted and was passed, his pro life stance doesn't bother me as that is a states rights issue and not a federal issue

that said, it would take and exceptional Republican or Democrat to sway my Libertarian vote

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco61 View Post
    I know a lot that didn't go to college and are useless sacks of shit living off of disability. Same goes for military veterans.

This whole "college = bad" is the rally call for a group of people who didn't go and don't understand that more knowledge is always better than less.

You don't fault people for being too experienced, do you?

I wonder if the people screaming about "indoctrination" in college send their kids to church, or go themselves? Kettle, meet pot.

3 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    As I said, he has peaked my interest enuf to check him out, I prefer a president that has had executive experience and not legislative experience , being a governor is a big + in my book over senate experience

what peaked my interest is that he won a recall election by a larger margin than the initial election, I am most interested in learning about the "budget repair plan" that he promoted and was passed, his pro life stance doesn't bother me as that is a states rights issue and not a federal issue

that said, it would take and exceptional Republican or Democrat to sway my Libertarian vote
    I like Walker enough to look at him a bit more in depth just because his Right To Work bill. If unions are so great, then surely you can allow employees to decide if they want to be in them or not...... seems like a no brainer.

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Actually I've seen people with too much experience be a bad thing. They get experienced in one thing or another and are afraid or unwilling to open their minds to a different path/technology. It can be the same with education. Look at surgeons versus internal medicine. They each have their way to do it, might not pick the best solution because of that. You can be over-educated when looking to do certain jobs, but it all depends on the type of education one has. Is it a wide spread studies or narrowly focused?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    Actually I've seen people with too much experience be a bad thing. They get experienced in one thing or another and are afraid or unwilling to open their minds to a different path/technology. It can be the same with education. Look at surgeons versus internal medicine. They each have their way to do it, might not pick the best solution because of that. You can be over-educated when looking to do certain jobs, but it all depends on the type of education one has. Is it a wide spread studies or narrowly focused?
    I don't think that is a result of the education or experience, it is the result of a closed minded person vs open minded person. Education and experience doesn't teach you to be close minded, that is more a product of your environment and upbringing. Though I will say that experience makes it harder to keep an open mind.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I know a lot that didn't go to college and are useless sacks of shit living off of disability. Same goes for military veterans.

This whole "college = bad" is the rally call for a group of people who didn't go and don't understand that more knowledge is always better than less.

You don't fault people for being too experienced, do you?

I wonder if the people screaming about "indoctrination" in college send their kids to church, or go themselves? Kettle, meet pot.
    I didn't insinuate any of the comments you chose to insert into my response.
    But I believe despite your best efforts to paint a different picture that College is a very good thing. And it would be better for the President to have a degree than not.

So that being said why don't you take your response and

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco61 View Post
    *too

YOUR MOM GOES TO COLLEGE

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

*too

YOUR MOM GOES TO COLLEGE
    MY Mom's 86 and has 3 degrees and one Doctorate. FYI

0 Not allowed!

Proven right once again. See what a college education gets you?

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

If we could just get a leader as opposed to another politician I think we'd start moving back in the right direction.

0 Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    If we could just get a leader as opposed to another politician I think we'd start moving back in the right direction.
    That will never happen. People love to vote for the far end of their view instead of "giving in" to a moderate.

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

I like Walker enough to look at him a bit more in depth just because his Right To Work bill. If unions are so great, then surely you can allow employees to decide if they want to be in them or not...... seems like a no brainer.
    Right-to-work laws give non-union employees the same pay and benefits as the union employees, but without the union fees. That kills the unions because everyone wants something for nothing. Why pay union fees when you get the same benefits for free?

I'd support right-to-work laws with one change. If you don't join the union, you get none of the union benefits - you must completely negotiate your own pay and benefits. That's what should be a no-brainer. To mandate by law that people get the union benefits without union membership is illogical.

But what Walker did was not right-to-work, he banned unions from collective bargaining. That's not even close to right-to-work. Since collective bargaining is a major function and benefit of a union, he legally barred people from having a meaningful choice to be union or not. If you support giving people a choice to have a union bargain for them as a group, or to work as independent contractors, then you would oppose Walker's position - it takes away the choice and requires that everyone be independent contractors. If you just oppose unions on principle, then supporting Walker's position is reasonable because the intent was to kill the unions. It has effectively done that.

I have no respect for Walker because when he destroyed the unions in Wisconsin, he excluded the police and fire unions. It's politically popular to screw the teacher's unions over, but it is intellectually dishonest to kill those unions but leave the police and fire unions intact. But Walker lacked the courage and integrity to take a consistent position on the issue of collective bargaining.

3 Not allowed!
    DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by oVTo View Post
    Right-to-work laws give non-union employees the same pay and benefits as the union employees, but without the union fees. That kills the unions because everyone wants something for nothing. Why pay union fees when you get the same benefits for free?

I'd support right-to-work laws with one change. If you don't join the union, you get none of the union benefits - you must completely negotiate your own pay and benefits. That's what should be a no-brainer. To mandate by law that people get the union benefits without union membership is illogical.

But what Walker did was not right-to-work, he banned unions from collective bargaining. That's not even close to right-to-work. Since collective bargaining is a major function and benefit of a union, he legally barred people from having a meaningful choice to be union or not. If you support giving people a choice to have a union bargain for them as a group, or to work as independent contractors, then you would oppose Walker's position - it takes away the choice and requires that everyone be independent contractors. If you just oppose unions on principle, then supporting Walker's position is reasonable because the intent was to kill the unions. It has effectively done that.

I have no respect for Walker because when he destroyed the unions in Wisconsin, he excluded the police and fire unions. It's politically popular to screw the teacher's unions over, but it is intellectually dishonest to kill those unions but leave the police and fire unions intact. But Walker lacked the courage and integrity to take a consistent position on the issue of collective bargaining.

He is pushing through the Right To Work bill now. This is different from what he tried a while ago, which was to bar PUBLIC unions. Not all. Just ones paid via taxpayer money.

I agree that people not in the union should not get the collective bargaining aspect of it. They should be on their own for negotiation.

Also, in the interest of fairness, the general voting public should be allowed to vote on contracts proposed by public sector unions. If they can justify unionizing to protect themselves, then certainly they wouldn't oppose the people who pay their salaries via our taxes to do the same.

2 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Lifer

I don't know if it's that college is bad. It's a push back against the theme that grew over the past ~30 years of college being a silver bullet. In fact, just like the military, it does tell you a few things. But I don't think it tells us as much as society currently believes. It's a valuable indicator but we have to use it correctly.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I don't know if it's that college is bad. It's a push back against the theme that grew over the past ~30 years of college being a silver bullet. In fact, just like the military, it does tell you a few things. But I don't think it tells us as much as society currently believes. It's a valuable indicator but we have to use it correctly.
    That's not the fault of the kids going to college, it's the fault of the people telling them that it's the only way. It's the fault of the people doing the hiring that won't consider you unless you put yourself into 150k in debt before you even start your life.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

I don't think that is a result of the education or experience, it is the result of a closed minded person vs open minded person. Education and experience doesn't teach you to be close minded, that is more a product of your environment and upbringing. Though I will say that experience makes it harder to keep an open mind.
    I dunno, my wife went through hygiene school and she always told me that her instructors were always EXTREMELY strict on how the students were supposed to perform their duties, and had little sympathy for anyone that thought differently. It was to such a great extent that you would get points docked during your certification practicals if you didn't hold the instruments perfectly.

Some educational tracts are all about instilling close mindedness, much like the military. "DO NOT THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX" is probably a lot more prevalent then you realize within specific profession training, and it does have an affect on a lot of those students.

My guess is law, a major profession among politicians, is probably very close minded in the schools.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by SRTie4k; 02-25-15 at 11:45 AM.
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

I think there is going to be a significant difference between training between a hygienist and becoming an engineer/doctor/lawyer/etc. Specific profession training is expected to be pretty stringent and precise.

A college course load with problem solving courses seems to encourage the opposite in my experience.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 02-25-15 at 12:48 PM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

I think there is going to be a significant difference between training between a hygienist and becoming an engineer/doctor/lawyer/etc. Specific profession training is expected to be pretty stringent and precise.

A college course load with problem solving courses seems to encourage the opposite in my experience.
    Or you could just go to Harvard because you're well connected, and get almost automatic A's because they have, you know, a rep. to uphold....

1 Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

No more national political dynasties, thx. I'd be more comfortable with her in the WH than, say, Sen. Warren. Although even though Warren being the nominee might make it easier for a moderate R candidate to grab the center.

A college degree ranks low on my list of credentials for politicians. Their career track record and personal integrity are the two most important factors for me, not what they did in their early 20s.

1 Not allowed!
    2004 SV650S

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by curiouser View Post
    Their personal integrity
    So that rules out every major party candidate, or most...

1 Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Or you could just go to Yale because you're dad is a Texas oil millionaire and congressman, and get almost automatic C's because you aren't even moderately intelligent....
    This is starting to make more sense.

The irony is that Bush Sr was born in MA and Bush Jr was born in CT. LIBERALS!

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

I always thought that Bill's campaign was financed by the Chinese so give the Arabs a chance

You will not see any of this on TV

0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die