Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53

What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address Them

  1. #1
    Rider. Just a rider... DucDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southern NH
    Age
    68
    Posts
    8,778

    What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address Them


    My view is tempered by what I see for my adult children and 6 and 2 year old grandchildren.

    So the climate and state of the planet are my largest concerns. If we can't get a handle...even a little bit...on this, the rest won't matter.

    Bernie and Elizabeth seem most passionate about these issues...

    I look forward to an instructive - and possibly civil - thread.

    2 Not allowed!
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
    Muhammad Ali.

  2. #2
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    16,079

    Re: What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address T

    My list was:

    1. Health care
    2. Education
    3. Infrastructure

    Fix those and everything else gets easier.

    Unfortunately I now have a new first priority; beat Trump.

    5 Not allowed!

  3. #3
    Posting Freak
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    996

    Re: What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address T

    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    My list was:

    1. Health care
    2. Education
    3. Infrastructure

    Fix those and everything else gets easier.

    Unfortunately I now have a new first priority; beat Trump.
    Ditto

    0 Not allowed!
    Street Triple R, Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

  4. #4
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    67
    Posts
    13,077

    Re: What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address T

    I want the potholes fixed on a street near me, I have never been happier, can't complain about my medical coverage, nor can I complain about my "fixed" income.

    weed should be declassified

    leaning toward Joe Walsh is he declares

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by RandyO; 10-15-19 at 09:35 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  5. #5
    Get Weird! maxim_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Fairhaven, Ma
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,893

    Re: What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address T

    1) eat the rich.

    0 Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

    JCBernier -- You-tube

  6. #6
    Lifer Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    the fairest of havens
    Age
    40
    Posts
    12,927

    Re: What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address T

    Climate.

    Ethics. I realize how tall of an ask that is in politics.
    I’d like to see (prior) norms become law. The lobby abolished, and all dark money ousted from our political system.

    Then we can argue about policy like health care and taxes till we’re breathless.

    4 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

  7. #7
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,991

    Re: What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address T

    1) Political Corruption
    2) Infrastructure
    3) Healthcare

    edit: Who is most likely to address them? Nobody. The rich have won. we can't compete with the power they hold.

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by xrocket21; 10-16-19 at 07:19 AM.

  8. #8
    Lifer Not Sure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,238

    Re: What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address T

    Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    I look forward to an instructive - and possibly civil - thread.
    Like the guns and atheism threads?.....

    1 Not allowed!

  9. #9
    Lifer nt650hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore
    Age
    46
    Posts
    7,370

    Re: What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address T

    1. Less cars on the road (NOT CLIMATE RELATED!)
    2. More green spaces (NOT CLIMATE RELATED!) for touring and DB ripping
    3. Dope & cigarette smoking (CLIMATE RELATED), alcohol consumption and makeup putting on the road. The shit you see commuting.

    see a theme here...

    0 Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

  10. #10
    Lifer Falko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MoonTown
    Posts
    4,723

    Re: What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address T

    1) Gov't getting too large and over-bearing. Should we have common sense laws and ENFORCE those laws, we wouldn't need to micro manage everyone's day to day. This encompasses many arenas. Take the .gov out of many businesses and operations and let the free-market work.
    2) Get money out of politics. Healthcare costs, insurance costs, market manipulation, limited green opportunities, etc. has a lot of problems that stem from money in politics. Things are easily swayed away from laws and enforcement to protect the general public. See #1.

    3 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

  11. #11
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,124,332

    Re: What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address T

    Abolish the antiquated 2-party system. Honestly, I'd like to see both the Repub & Dem parties wiped clean. I don't see anyone coming down the road I could vote for with a conscience.

    6 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  12. #12
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    19,792

    Re: What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address T

    1. Billionaires paying less of a tax rate than the middle class.
    2. Health care costs, either in private or public form.
    3. Environment/climate change.

    3 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  13. #13
    Fast is contagious JettaJayGLS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,971

    Re: What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address T

    1) Social Equality
    2) Healthcare
    3) Education

    I don't think 1 happens without fixing 2 and 3.

    4 Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

  14. #14
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    16,079

    Re: What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address T

    I think I forgot to say, I'm with Warren 110%. A Warren/Booker ticket would get me all kinds of excited. But really, any of them will do. Even the billionaire with the plaid tie.

    I'm definitely swimming all the way over in the progressive side of the pool. Most of the conservatives like Tulsi, Klobuchar and Biden are not really that appealing.
    After a term of Trump I think going hard to port is how we right this ship. We can talk about middling conservatives like Biden again in a term or two. For now I think the overton window needs a firm shove.

    2 Not allowed!

  15. #15
    Member bassomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Pembroke, NH
    Age
    59
    Posts
    259

    Re: What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address T

    1)Corruption/Money in politics
    2)Healthcare-Nobody should go bankrupt because they drew the short straw on cancer, etc.
    3)Education/Mandatory Public service (with more than just the military option)
    4)Energy Policy - Now's the time for the green economy to start replacing the fossil fuel economy.
    5) Fairer taxation- Trickle down is the GOP myth that keeps the taking. Check out the historical tax rates for a reality check.

    2 Not allowed!

  16. #16
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    19,792

    Re: What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address T

    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I think I forgot to say, I'm with Warren 110%. A Warren/Booker ticket would get me all kinds of excited. But really, any of them will do. Even the billionaire with the plaid tie.

    I'm definitely swimming all the way over in the progressive side of the pool. Most of the conservatives like Tulsi, Klobuchar and Biden are not really that appealing.
    After a term of Trump I think going hard to port is how we right this ship. We can talk about middling conservatives like Biden again in a term or two. For now I think the overton window needs a firm shove.
    I'm coming around on Warren. If someone other than Trump was in office and NOT giving all our money to the richest, then my opinion of her as a one trick pony may of prevented me from going in for her. But that's not our reality now, and she's the one the big money is afraid of.

    If she could get Bernie, Harris, or Mayor Pete (so as not to slaughter his last name) on her ticket, we'd be onto something.

    0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  17. #17
    Lifer PhilB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Pittsfield, NH
    Age
    56
    Posts
    2,976

    Re: What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address T

    1) Individual human rights and liberty (increasing, for all people)
    2) Government scope, spending, and overreach (reducing those)
    3) Unsustainable deficits and debt (reducing those, related to 2 above)
    4) Immigrant and refugee crisis (letting those people find a safe place to live, and the freedom to earn their way)
    5) Wars (ending them, related to all of the above)

    I don't think ANY of the current candidates, in either party, has any likelihood of addressing any of these concerns (in a positive way) one tiny little bit.
    Tulsi may have some merits on the war issues. That's the biggest item of praise I can muster for any of them.
    Other than that, they all are hell-bent on spending us into oblivion, regulating and micromanaging everything, keeping everyone else out, and bombing people.

    It's an effing miserable state of affairs.

    We badly need to get rid of Trump.
    To do that, the Democrats NEED to nominate someone rational and electable, who can pull in independents, and maybe even real conservatives who don't like Trump.
    But they're not going to get that with candidates whose ONLY solution to anything and everything is more government, more spending, more command-and-control.
    Instead, they seem to be laser-focused on who can come up with the most irrational, unrealistic, and ineffective proposals conceivable.
    Are they *trying* to re-elect Trump?
    It's a repeat of 2004, when beating W should have been the easiest thing imaginable, and yet they threw the election through sheer incompetence.

    I'm not optimistic about this one.

    PhilB

    10 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

  18. #18
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,991

    Re: What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address T

    IMO, "those guys bad, these guys good" is such a joke in politics. THEYRE ALL BAD.

    7 Not allowed!
    Last edited by xrocket21; 10-16-19 at 12:48 PM.

  19. #19
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol County
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,847

    Re: What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address T

    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Ethics. I realize how tall of an ask that is in politics.
    Id like to see (prior) norms become law. The lobby abolished, and all dark money ousted from our political system.
    Agreed. Step 1 is we all need to stop acting like lying and being unethical is 'to be expected'. We shouldn't be surprised, but we shouldn't talk about it as if it's some necessary evil either.

    4 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

  20. #20
    Get Weird! maxim_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Fairhaven, Ma
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,893

    Re: What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address T

    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Climate.

    Ethics. I realize how tall of an ask that is in politics.
    I’d like to see (prior) norms become law. The lobby abolished, and all dark money ousted from our political system.

    Then we can argue about policy like health care and taxes till we’re breathless.
    Agree 100%. I’ll add that not treating corporations like citizens could go a long way for to help those goals

    3 Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

    JCBernier -- You-tube

  21. #21
    Lifer Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    the fairest of havens
    Age
    40
    Posts
    12,927

    Re: What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address T

    Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    Agree 100%. I’ll add that not treating corporations like citizens could go a long way for to help those goals
    Amen.

    0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

  22. #22
    Lifer Pittenger5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Austin
    Age
    38
    Posts
    15,227

    Re: What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address T

    Keeping politicians out of my paycheck.

    2 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

    Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

  23. #23
    Lifer tsorfas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    in my own little world...
    Posts
    9,867

    Re: What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address T

    Question to everyone listing the environment. What is that you d like to see from said government?
    I’d say this country is having tons of incentives and systems in place. Not saying we can’t do better but curious as to what your requests are.

    0 Not allowed!

  24. #24
    Lifer tsorfas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    in my own little world...
    Posts
    9,867

    Re: What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address T

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    1) Individual human rights and liberty (increasing, for all people)
    2) Government scope, spending, and overreach (reducing those)
    3) Unsustainable deficits and debt (reducing those, related to 2 above)
    4) Immigrant and refugee crisis (letting those people find a safe place to live, and the freedom to earn their way)
    5) Wars (ending them, related to all of the above)

    I don't think ANY of the current candidates, in either party, has any likelihood of addressing any of these concerns (in a positive way) one tiny little bit.
    Tulsi may have some merits on the war issues. That's the biggest item of praise I can muster for any of them.
    Other than that, they all are hell-bent on spending us into oblivion, regulating and micromanaging everything, keeping everyone else out, and bombing people.

    It's an effing miserable state of affairs.

    We badly need to get rid of Trump.
    To do that, the Democrats NEED to nominate someone rational and electable, who can pull in independents, and maybe even real conservatives who don't like Trump.
    But they're not going to get that with candidates whose ONLY solution to anything and everything is more government, more spending, more command-and-control.
    Instead, they seem to be laser-focused on who can come up with the most irrational, unrealistic, and ineffective proposals conceivable.
    Are they *trying* to re-elect Trump?
    It's a repeat of 2004, when beating W should have been the easiest thing imaginable, and yet they threw the election through sheer incompetence.

    I'm not optimistic about this one.

    PhilB
    I have said it numerous times, and it will most likely happen again. Trunk did not win, Democrats lost. And we are heading in the very same direction again.

    0 Not allowed!

  25. #25
    #494
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rochester MA
    Age
    45
    Posts
    724

    Re: What Issues are Important to You and Who Do You Think Is Most Likely To Address T

    The environment, climate change, global warming, whatever you want to call it, is #1 for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Question to everyone listing the environment. What is that you d like to see from said government?
    I’d say this country is having tons of incentives and systems in place. Not saying we can’t do better but curious as to what your requests are.
    Why nobody is talking about population control as a means of dealing with our climate issues is amazing to me. We'll invest billions in carbon capture technology while we reward people financially for having way to many kids or make cuts to family planning. Bernie was asked about this a couple months ago and he was buried for his answers.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...canada-4960167
    Anyone who doesn't see our already overpopulated planet as our number one issue right now is turning a blind eye.

    2 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •