Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Jesus Day...

Jesus Day...

Originally posted by The KING
    i guess, in the end, it all depends upon the majority in power at the time, and what their philosophies might be.

again, THE MOB controls...
    Yes, this is true. But the system is designed to offer the minority some checks and balances (filibuster, judicial challenge, etc)

I'll say it again. I don't really give a damn if Texas has a Jesus day. However, I do think it says something about this president, albeit something everyone already knew.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Lifer

Jesus Day...

Originally posted by The KING
    What is your inherent problem with this, gas guzzling SUV's, that sort of thing? It's like a recurring "Ben-thing".

In this case I'm specifically talking about how Christmas and Easter have been subverted. Don't try to change the subject.

Christmas especially has somehow gone from celebrating Christ's birth to instead being a day to buy as much crap as you can. Giving is great and all, but the case for drastically changing Christmas back to it's roots is much stronger than the case for creating Jesus day if you are very faithful. And there are plenty of Christians who very much believe that Christmas has gotten out of control. There is no real mention of gluttonous indulgence being the recommended course of action for celebrating the birth of Christ, and it actually goes against many of the teachings of Christ!

Same thing with Easter. If you are of very strong faith it is offensive that the pagan traditions of Easter Bunnies and candy have gotten to the point where they are more important than the real religious celebration.

Bush's time would have been better spent trying to get Christians to properly recognize Christmas and Easter than creating his own holiday or endorsing one someone else created.

But that is the funny thing. Bush is obviously very pro-materialism as it increases profits, and actually following in the example of Christ and going out and doing community service or helping the poor is somehow at odds with this!

Another discussion completely but I very much think the best philosophy for a Republican or Libertarian is Ayn Rand's objectivism. And that pretty much requires being an atheist. Objectivism is very enticing to me, and if I was an objectivist, I'd probably be a conservative. But objectivism is incompatible with being a Christian as it goes completely against the teachings of Christ that we should be humble and help others.

Ben

Jesus Day...

Originally posted by benVFR
    Ayn Rand
    Sorry, instant gag reflex

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Lifer

Jesus Day...

Come on..

You're just a freakin troll trying to start a fight whenever you can.

Please, please, tell me why I should have taken the bait and gotten into an argument about SUVs in this thread.

Ben

Lifer

Jesus Day...

Well yah... is always the rule when dealing with you. Sorry I left it out.

BTW.. do you actually disagree with my point that Christmas and Easter have been subverted and Bush would be better of to try and get these holidays back in order if he needs to meddle in government and religion by creating another holiday?

If you claim to know about Catholicism, you of course know the Church backs up my view every year and tries to remind people what these holidays are about.

Bush is not a Catholic.. but my understanding is that a lot of the conservative leaning denominations are even more vocal about this than the Catholic church is.

Ben

Jesus Day...

oh now really this goes too far!

God wants Kerry in office? Is this mixing government and politics?

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

Lifer

Jesus Day...

Yah right...

What is that guy smoking. Can't speak for God but the churches definitely want to see Bush win.

The catholic church has pretty much gone as far as saying it is a Sin to vote for Kerry. and many other democrats.. guess I will be heading to confession next week.

It is amusing as Catholics around here have traditionally been Democrats if I understand correctly.

Of course none of this seems to have anything to do with the topics we argue about in this forum.. the churches want Bush to win because of abortion, stem cell research, euthanasia, etc..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234