Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 130

Jo Jorgensen

  1. #1
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    67
    Posts
    13,660

    Jo Jorgensen


    why not ?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  2. #2
    Super Moderator OreoGaborio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    MA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    37,120

    Re: Jo Jorgensen

    "Because 2016" is pretty much the only reason I can think of.

    If we had Ranked Choice voting there'd be no question she'd be at the top of my list, but when you can only chose one and you have two giant parties with way more fucking power than they deserve, and each puts up a stupid fucking candidate, and one of them is currently running the country into the fucking ground and you're scared as fuck what'll happen if he gets another 4 years, you need to play this stupid fucking game of chicken and pick between a turd sandwich & a giant douche.

    5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by OreoGaborio; 07-01-20 at 10:58 PM.
    -Pete LRRS/CCS #82 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays, Ironstone Ventures
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

    The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

  3. #3
    Senior Member Philkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Warwick, RI
    Age
    32
    Posts
    470

    Re: Jo Jorgensen

    Quote Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
    "Because 2016" is pretty much the only reason I can think of.

    If we had Ranked Choice voting there'd be no question she'd be at the top of my list, but when you can only chose one and you have two giant parties with way more fucking power than they deserve, and each puts up a stupid fucking candidate, and one of them is currently running the country into the fucking ground and you're scared as fuck what'll happen if he gets another 4 years, you need to play this stupid fucking game of chicken and pick between a turd sandwich & a giant douche.
    That's the unfortunate mentality that keeps the broken system broken. People won't vote for a 3rd party until they see that the percentage of people voting for the 3rd party is growing... which won't happen if everyone keeps following the leader and "voting against Hillary" or "voting against Trump".

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015/2016 NESR Fantasy Road Race CHAMPION

    now retired LLRS AM #642

  4. #4
    Lifer Garandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorchester, MA / Mt Sunapee, NH
    Posts
    10,670

    Re: Jo Jorgensen

    Ross Perot got nearly 20 million votes (19%) in 1992.

    George Wallace got nearly 10 million votes in 1968, which likely cost Hubert Humphrey the election.

    Sometimes I wonder if proportional representation would work in the U.S. though itís likely the Dís and Rís would both oppose the change.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 07-02-20 at 07:29 AM.
    If stupidity got us into this mess, why canít it get us out?
    Will Rogers

  5. #5
    Lifer BSR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,011

    Re: Jo Jorgensen

    Quote Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
    "Because 2016" is pretty much the only reason I can think of.

    If we had Ranked Choice voting there'd be no question she'd be at the top of my list, but when you can only chose one and you have two giant parties with way more fucking power than they deserve, and each puts up a stupid fucking candidate, and one of them is currently running the country into the fucking ground and you're scared as fuck what'll happen if he gets another 4 years, you need to play this stupid fucking game of chicken and pick between a turd sandwich & a giant douche.
    This. Although I hope the checks and balances within our government are keeping Trump from actually running us into the ground.

    I may vote for her simply because I'm finding myself in the same position I was in back in 2016 when I didn't vote. I just couldn't bring myself to contribute to the success of either one of the candidates. I'd rather not be silent this time around so she may be the best option.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,203

    Re: Jo Jorgensen

    Quote Originally Posted by Philkinson View Post
    That's the unfortunate mentality that keeps the broken system broken. People won't vote for a 3rd party until they see that the percentage of people voting for the 3rd party is growing... which won't happen if everyone keeps following the leader and "voting against Hillary" or "voting against Trump".
    Thanks for that entirely new point of view that no one has considered ever before.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  7. #7
    Fast is contagious JettaJayGLS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Age
    32
    Posts
    4,462

    Re: Jo Jorgensen

    I see no draw back to ranked voting. My opinion is that a 3+ party system doesn't work in this country without ranked voted. I've said it before and I'll say it again - if you have 5 parties running and you can only vote for 1, that means you can win the election with 21% of the popular vote...meaning 4/5 people are potentially LOSERS. Maybe other countries can handle this type of personal shame we feel so so so deeply, but our polarized population cannot (myself included). There is also the huge problem if you have two left leaning politicians running vs 1 conservative (or insert any lopsided example of your choice). Without ranked voting, you disincentivize people to run for office if there is a similar party running as to not lose votes to one another.

    The only potential draw back is the added complexity of counting the votes in a ranked system, which leaves a perception that it could be cheated or miscounted...despite the fact that the simplicity of validating a system like this is so so so so so fucking low. On a scale of 1-10, its probably a 1. This fear existed before Trump, but his immediate "go too" of crying that the voting system is rigged at the FIRST sign he may lose a single county or state, or the fact he calls fake news every two seconds, has set us back so far in this area that it has become the norm because no one can accept failure. I'm not sure how we get out of it. See the recent posts in the Trump thread of a battle between what people consider fake news. This may have existed before, but holy shit it is out of control to the point that people just believe what they want to believe. This has been massively exasperated by Trump. If you need another reason to see how he is ruining this country, there ya go.

    I guess what I'm saying is that we need ranked voting MORE THAN EVER after 2016 election and the past 3.5 years.

    Sorry for the off topic thoughts. I won't vote third party as long as we have such a bull shit candidate as Trump - he cannot be given a sliver of approval by me in voting. I'll agree with the rare good decision he makes, but I will not give him any sense of accomplishment in the polls.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 07-02-20 at 09:02 AM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

  8. #8
    Backwoods lobster boy number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    4,025

    Re: Jo Jorgensen

    Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I see no draw back to ranked voting. My opinion is that a 3+ party system doesn't work in this country without ranked voted. I've said it before and I'll say it again - if you have 5 parties running and you can only vote for 1, that means you can win the election with 21% of the popular vote...meaning 4/5 people are potentially LOSERS. Maybe other countries can handle this type of personal shame we feel so so so deeply, but our polarized population cannot (myself included). There is also the huge problem if you have two left leaning politicians running vs 1 conservative (or insert any lopsided example of your choice). Without ranked voting, you disincentivize people to run for office if there is a similar party running as to not lose votes to one another.
    I'm from Australia which has had ranked choice voting for as long as I can remember.

    The only potential downside is you need voters to understand how the system works, i.e. how your preferences will be divvied up. But that's a tiny thing to worry about in the big scheme of things.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

  9. #9
    Lifer BSR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,011

    Re: Jo Jorgensen

    JettaJay, I don't think you're taking us off track. Jorgensen will never win but many of us will vote for her because Biden and Trump are terrible candidates. That being said I don't think ranked voting is out of scope as it adressses the reality that our current process drives us to do what is less than ideal (voting for a candidate who will never win).

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by BSR6; 07-02-20 at 10:36 AM.

  10. #10
    BMW track whore e30addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I93/495
    Age
    44
    Posts
    6,351

    Re: Jo Jorgensen

    Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post

    The only potential downside is you need voters to understand how the system works, i.e. how your preferences will be divvied up. But that's a tiny thing to worry about in the big scheme of things.
    Considering how most voters here apparently don't understand how the current system works it's probably a bigger deal then "tiny".

    RCV has the potential to be a game changer though; assuming we don't end back up at choosing the lesser of two evils but in a more convoluted way.

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

  11. #11
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    67
    Posts
    13,660

    Re: Jo Jorgensen

    Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    with Biden being the original topic

    um, no, Jo Jorgensen was and is the original topic, go beat up Biden in his thread

    and fwiw, in 1912, the Progressive/Bull Moose Party got more electoral votes than the Republican Party

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  12. #12
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    67
    Posts
    13,660

    Re: Jo Jorgensen

    Fuck ranked voting, just vote for Jo and be done with it

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  13. #13
    Fast is contagious JettaJayGLS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Age
    32
    Posts
    4,462

    Re: Jo Jorgensen

    Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I'm from Australia which has had ranked choice voting for as long as I can remember.

    The only potential downside is you need voters to understand how the system works, i.e. how your preferences will be divvied up. But that's a tiny thing to worry about in the big scheme of things.
    I think its just as big of a concern as validating the system would be, as in, it will be massively blown out of proportion due to the unwillingness of the nation to invest 10 minutes understand something.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

  14. #14
    Lifer BSR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,011

    Re: Jo Jorgensen

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    um, no, Jo Jorgensen was and is the original topic, go beat up Biden in his thread

    and fwiw, in 1912, the Progressive/Bull Moose Party got more electoral votes than the Republican Party
    My apgologies. I'm getting my threads mixed up. It's still not off topic though. I've updated my post.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by BSR6; 07-02-20 at 10:37 AM.

  15. #15
    Hypertarded
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,105

    Re: Jo Jorgensen

    HHHHHmmmm, I have a funny feeling that this thread will.....

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  16. #16
    Lifer PhilB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Pittsfield, NH
    Age
    57
    Posts
    3,061

    Re: Jo Jorgensen

    So far, she's got my vote. She's a reasonable and intelligent person, apparently ethical and principled.
    She's under 70, cogent, not visibly racist, anti-war, and has no credible allegations of sexual misconduct, *all* of which make her different from *both* Trump and Biden.

    So unless either (a) she makes a really huge mistake or takes a really poor position on a major issue, or (b) Biden unexpectedly picks a very good VP, then she will get my vote.

    PhilB

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

  17. #17

    Re: Jo Jorgensen

    https://joj2020.com/issues-jo-jorgensen/

    Same platform as Trump but without a proven track record.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    To anger a conservative tell him a lie. To anger a leftist tell him the truth.

  18. #18
    Hypertarded
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,105

    Re: Jo Jorgensen

    Jo Jorgensen-ill1-jpg

    Jo Jorgensen-ill3-jpeg

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  19. #19
    Lifer SteveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwell, MA
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,541

    Re: Jo Jorgensen

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    https://joj2020.com/issues-jo-jorgensen/

    Same platform as Trump but without a proven track record.
    Trump does not have a platform, he has momentary passing thoughts. A platform results from the distillation of stable core values into policy recommendations. We have ample evidence the Trump lacks both stable guiding values and the capacity to effectively translate them into coherent policy objectives.

    6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  20. #20
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    67
    Posts
    13,660

    Re: Jo Jorgensen

    I am a Libertarian, but I have mixed feelings on her foreign policy stance, I think we need military bases abroad

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  21. #21

    Re: Jo Jorgensen

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Trump does not have a platform, he has momentary passing thoughts. A platform results from the distillation of stable core values into policy recommendations. We have ample evidence the Trump lacks both stable guiding values and the capacity to effectively translate them into coherent policy objectives.

    https://www.promiseskept.com

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    To anger a conservative tell him a lie. To anger a leftist tell him the truth.

  22. #22
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,442

    Re: Jo Jorgensen

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    That's hilarious. I encourage everyone to click on that link. It's like it was written by Goebbels.

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  23. #23
    Lifer SteveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwell, MA
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,541

    Re: Jo Jorgensen

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    You attempted to show that Trump has a solid platform of ideals and has translated them into effective policy by linking to his own campaign rhetoric?

    Even by the astoundingly low standards we’ve come to expect, this is pathetic.

    By almost any measure, in any important area, Trump’s “platform” has consisted of in the moment reactions to events, ill-considered, contrary to both his advisors just to show he’s boss, confounding to our allies and amusing to our enemies.

    The world’s reaction to his actions are neither respect nor even the fear he’d like to think he creates. It’s more like, “Trump is giving a speeeh at the same time a Ridiculousness, which should we watch?” The answer is a coin toss.

    4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SteveM; 07-04-20 at 10:25 PM.

  24. #24
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    67
    Posts
    13,660

    Re: Jo Jorgensen

    if it was a choice between only 2, Trump would get my vote over Biden, mostly cause I don't want a rubber stamp for the Democrats in Congress.

    But, there are other choices, I can vote for Jorgensen, and not feel slimy afterward. I do feel that I am better off in the past 4 years, then the previous 8

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  25. #25
    Lifer SteveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwell, MA
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,541

    Re: Jo Jorgensen

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    if it was a choice between only 2, Trump would get my vote over Biden, mostly cause I don't want a rubber stamp for the Democrats in Congress.

    But, there are other choices, I can vote for Jorgensen, and not feel slimy afterward. I do feel that I am better off in the past 4 years, then the previous 8
    Is the nation as a whole better off?

    Are you more or less proud of America?

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •