Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 390

Johnson-Weld?

  1. #1
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    66
    Posts
    12,929

    Johnson-Weld?


    So, Gary Johnson is now the official Libertarian Party presidential candidate, and he wants William Weld as his running mate

    certainly a strong enuf ticket to be a spoiler, maybe some electoral votes as well

    1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  2. #2
    Mophead going grey dontpanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Danvers, MA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,313

    Re: Johnson-Weld?

    In!

    1 Not allowed!

  3. #3
    Lifer Stromper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eastern Ct
    Posts
    3,222

    Re: Johnson-Weld?

    Yes vote Libertarian get Hillary.... smooth move

    0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

    It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

  4. #4
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    66
    Posts
    12,929

    Re: Johnson-Weld?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Yes vote Libertarian get Hillary.... smooth move
    typical lesser of 2 evils attitude there, Clinton supporters will say the same thing, "vote Libertarian, get Trump"

    in reality, Republicans either support Trump or they don't and are more likely to vote for a major party or not vote at all

    Johnson will get most of his votes from people like me who have supported the Libertarian party for years (I have voted Libertarian for President since the Clark-Koch ticket in 1980) or Democrats who are Sanders supporters, if we don't see a Clinton-Sanders or Sanders-Clinton ticket

    3 Not allowed!
    Last edited by RandyO; 05-30-16 at 06:37 AM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  5. #5
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    66
    Posts
    12,929

    Re: Johnson-Weld?


    1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  6. #6
    Lifer Imbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Southwick,MA
    Posts
    2,389

    Re: Johnson-Weld?

    Just listened to a two hour interview with Gary Johnson yesterday, from the Joe Rogan podcast about a week ago.

    Dude makes a lot of sense. The fact that he won't be able to get his message out to the public at large, because he won't be allowed on the presidential debates, because they are bought and paid for by the major two parties, is appalling.

    1 Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    19,646

    Re: Johnson-Weld?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Yes vote Libertarian get Hillary.... smooth move
    THERE IS NO DROUGHT IN CALIFORNIA!

    1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  8. #8
    Lifer PhilB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Pittsfield, NH
    Age
    56
    Posts
    2,968

    Re: Johnson-Weld?

    Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Just listened to a two hour interview with Gary Johnson yesterday, from the Joe Rogan podcast about a week ago.

    Dude makes a lot of sense. The fact that he won't be able to get his message out to the public at large, because he won't be allowed on the presidential debates, because they are bought and paid for by the major two parties, is appalling.
    This is the best chance ever to GET Gary and the LP in the debates. You need to achieve 15% in national polls to qualify to be in the presidential debates, and Gary is already at 11% in major polls. If we promote and support him, and vote in any polls we can, he *could* make the debates and make a big difference.

    PhilB

    0 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

  9. #9
    Lifer PhilB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Pittsfield, NH
    Age
    56
    Posts
    2,968

    Re: Johnson-Weld?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Yes vote Libertarian get Hillary.... smooth move
    Gary is pulling about equally from R and D voters, so your argument (in addition to being generally bad advice) is also factually wrong in this election.

    PhilB

    2 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

  10. #10
    Lifer Imbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Southwick,MA
    Posts
    2,389

    Re: Johnson-Weld?

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    This is the best chance ever to GET Gary and the LP in the debates. You need to achieve 15% in national polls to qualify to be in the presidential debates, and Gary is already at 11% in major polls. If we promote and support him, and vote in any polls we can, he *could* make the debates and make a big difference.

    PhilB
    How does one choose to vote in a poll? He seemed to be saying that he isn't IN most of the polls, and I'm saying the only time I ever got to vote in one was when I was randomly called.

    That said, I agree with you. If he could get in the actual general presidential election tv debates and be heard vs Hillary and trump, if there ever was a scenario where a third party candidate could...

    0 Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    66
    Posts
    12,929

    Re: Johnson-Weld?

    Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    How does one choose to vote in a poll? He seemed to be saying that he isn't IN most of the polls, and I'm saying the only time I ever got to vote in one was when I was randomly called.

    That said, I agree with you. If he could get in the actual general presidential election tv debates and be heard vs Hillary and trump, if there ever was a scenario where a third party candidate could...
    pollsters know damn well who Johnson and the Libertarian Party are, in the past when I have received polling calls, and only 2 names are mentioned, I always say "neither" and then tell them the full name of the Libertarian candidate and then tell them, don't mark me as undecided or other. If they truly are a legitimate national poll, they will add you to your candidates polling number, if they don't, then they are not a legitimate independent polling agency that counts toward the debates

    0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  12. #12
    Lifer Imbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Southwick,MA
    Posts
    2,389

    Re: Johnson-Weld?

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    pollsters know damn well who Johnson and the Libertarian Party are, in the past when I have received polling calls, and only 2 names are mentioned, I always say "neither" and then tell them the full name of the Libertarian candidate and then tell them, don't mark me as undecided or other. If they truly are a legitimate national poll, they will add you to your candidates polling number, if they don't, then they are not a legitimate independent polling agency that counts toward the debates
    It still starts with you receiving calls, and your response to those will not solve the problem here, unfortunately.

    hopefully without misquoting or misrepresenting anything, because that is not my intent, what I perceived regarding polls and televised debates, solely from the interview I heard with Johnson, boiled down to this:

    1) the monetary value of being in the debates is astronomical, and it's impossible to win the presidency without being "invited." Compare to the cost of a thirty second super bowl ad. Now consider 90 or 120 minutes of exposure, to an even larger tv audience. the value is in the hundreds of millions.

    2) the idea of "legitimate independent polling agency that counts towards the debates" is a farce, because:

    3) ever since Ross Perot made a serious run, the rules have been changed to the most recent 15% poll results requirement for tv debate participation, but since the debates themselves are privately funded, and since that funding comes in large part from the two major parties, they can use whichever poll results they want, and still claim that Johnson isn't being invited because he didn't attain 15% in "the polls", even though he wasn't even IN some or most of the polls!

    4) there are anti trust lawsuits being filed over this issue right now

    5) Its absolute bullshit, if true. Time for a revolution up in this motherfucker. Hillary and the leaders of the Dem party are going to manipulate the democratic nomination, have an ex-crony make a mockery of the republican one, avoid indictment from an executive branch currently controlled by the Dem party, semi-violate the presidential term limit by putting the same family back in after 8 years already, and black ball any and all other candidates from essential tv exposure to the general public? Some democracy...

    1 Not allowed!

  13. #13
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    66
    Posts
    12,929

    Re: Johnson-Weld?

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    Gary is pulling about equally from R and D voters, so your argument (in addition to being generally bad advice) is also factually wrong in this election.

    PhilB
    I agree currently, however, if Sanders doesn't get on the Democratic ticket, I believe that Johnson-Weld will pull more from the Democratic side

    I think Weld was a good choice for his fund raising ability and maybe big money will come from the Koch brothers

    It was the 1 hour TV ad that David Koch paid for in 1980 for the Clark-Koch ticket that convinced me to be a Libertarian

    2 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  14. #14
    Lifer Stromper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eastern Ct
    Posts
    3,222

    Re: Johnson-Weld?

    Libertarian is closer to conservative and Trump is closer to that

    I agree with many hands off federal government things but that is also conservative accept for
    the abortion issue.

    The only way to get Bernie zealots, is to say you will give them free stuff they are children

    So MOST of the his base should be from Trump and help the Hillary

    Now being in Blue Connecticut it doesn't matter what I do as Hillary will win here

    I keep waiting for her to sprout leathery wings

    0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

    It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

  15. #15
    Lifer PhilB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Pittsfield, NH
    Age
    56
    Posts
    2,968

    Re: Johnson-Weld?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Libertarian is closer to conservative and Trump is closer to that

    I agree with many hands off federal government things but that is also conservative accept for
    the abortion issue.

    The only way to get Bernie zealots, is to say you will give them free stuff they are children

    So MOST of the his base should be from Trump and help the Hillary

    Now being in Blue Connecticut it doesn't matter what I do as Hillary will win here

    I keep waiting for her to sprout leathery wings
    Fail on almost all counts.
    Libertarianism is neither conservative nor liberal, and is not close to either overall.
    It's closer to conservative on economics and guns, and closer to liberal on most other issues.
    Our position on ALL issues is based on the principles of liberty and non-aggression, and is closer or further from the positions of other groups only by coincidence.

    The data so far shows Johnson pulling a bit more from Hillary than from Trump. That actual data, not someone's prejudiced opinion. Overall, it's about even.
    There are a great many people on the left who dislike Hillary as much as there are on the right who dislike Trump. Most of those are Sandersnistas currently, but (assuming Sanders loses, which is likely), it might well be possible to pull a lot of them over to vote for Gary. I'd assume the Greens will be working to pull some of those as well, but (a) they won't be on the ballots in all states, whereas the LP will be (or very close to it), and (b) the Greens will pretty much only be pulling from the left.

    PhilB

    P.S. Trump isn't even very close to conservative, much less libertarian. Trump (and Hillary, and Bernie) are mainly authoritarian, which is the opposite of libertarian, and which is why anyone who believes in liberty and has an active conscience cannot support any of them.

    3 Not allowed!
    Last edited by PhilB; 06-30-16 at 03:42 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

  16. #16
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    19,646

    Re: Johnson-Weld?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Libertarian is closer to conservative and Trump is closer to that

    I agree with many hands off federal government things but that is also conservative accept for
    the abortion issue.

    The only way to get Bernie zealots, is to say you will give them free stuff they are children

    So MOST of the his base should be from Trump and help the Hillary

    Now being in Blue Connecticut it doesn't matter what I do as Hillary will win here

    I keep waiting for her to sprout leathery wings
    THERE IS NO DROUGHT IN CALIFORNIA

    2 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  17. #17
    Lifer PhilB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Pittsfield, NH
    Age
    56
    Posts
    2,968

    Re: Johnson-Weld?

    All I want for President now is a human who:
    (a) isn't a violent murderous sociopath, and
    (b) has at least a vague grasp of economic and historical reality.
    Is that too much to ask? Apparently it is.

    PhilB

    1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by PhilB; 05-31-16 at 10:16 AM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

  18. #18
    Lifer Falko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MoonTown
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Johnson-Weld?

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    (a) isn't a violent murderous sociopath, and
    (b) has at least a vague grasp of economic and historical reality.
    PhilB
    Unfortunately to get ahead in politics, you must have the drive of a rabid honey badger. And really to tell people what they want to hear, you don't need a grasp of reality. Sad state of affairs.

    1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

  19. #19
    Lifer Stromper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eastern Ct
    Posts
    3,222

    Re: Johnson-Weld?

    Someday they will recognize the influence of TV and mass media on the political process

    Our ancestors were allowed to corrupt the original election process making it like junior high popularity contest

    However I have infinite confidence that when Trump is faced with a problem that his reaction will beeee
    much closer to my own then the Lefty dogma which spew from Hillary

    0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

    It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

  20. #20
    Lifer jasnmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chichester, NH
    Posts
    4,025

    Re: Johnson-Weld?

    I just keep expecting this to be some new competitor to JB-Weld.

    3 Not allowed!

  21. #21
    Lifer burnham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    2,039

    Re: Johnson-Weld?

    Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    I just keep expecting this to be some new competitor to JB-Weld.
    I'm hoping it will be JB weld made with hemp. That you can eat. Legally.

    5 Not allowed!

  22. #22
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    19,646

    Re: Johnson-Weld?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Someday they will recognize the influence of TV and mass media on the political process

    Our ancestors were allowed to corrupt the original election process making it like junior high popularity contest

    However I have infinite confidence that when Trump is faced with a problem that his reaction will beeee
    much closer to my own then the Lefty dogma which spew from Hillary
    THERE IS NO DROUGHT IN CALIFORNIA

    1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  23. #23
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    66
    Posts
    12,929

    Re: Johnson-Weld?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    THERE IS NO DROUGHT IN CALIFORNIA!
    you wouldn't think so if you only visit golf courses

    I do think Californians could come up with a better water management plan, they sucked all the water out of the Colorado River long before the drought started

    1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  24. #24
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    19,646

    Re: Johnson-Weld?

    No Randy. There is no drought. When Trump is president, he'll order all the water restrictions to be abolished and there will be abundant water again. Didn't you hear him say that last week? Yes. Really.


    The level of idiocracy (intended) this clown has brought to the surface of our society is quite disturbing.



    The absurdity of how he can and does say anything with a complete blatent disregard for basis on facts, and his supporters cheer like whatever he says is actually feasible/possible/relevant is mind blowing.


    Just look at Stromper. Like Janice in accounting, he just DOESN'T GIVE A FUCK. Trump could stomp a baby to death on stage and his supporters will find a way to justify it.

    Ban all Muslims from entering the country? Don't give a fuck.

    Promise to give $5.6m to veterans groups then only send most of the money once the press inquires about if the money was actually sent months later? Don't give a fuck.

    Have our two biggest enemies on the international stage say they want Trump as our president? Don't give a fuck.

    Build a wall along the border with Mexico and have them pay for it, even though Mexico just plain won't do that, nevermind the cost is completely off and the wall would be easily gotten over? Don't give a fuck.

    Impose nationalistic economic policies even though historically they have been quite detrimental to economies? Don't give a fuck.

    Go to a drought ridden state and just say there is no drought and offer to "turn on the faucet", further compounding the issue for the future? Don't give a fuck.




    The man is a dangerous demagogue and his followers who don't question all these things he says are cowards.


    You want to ruin our country? He's a great efficient way to do just that.

    7 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  25. #25
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    66
    Posts
    12,929

    Re: Johnson-Weld?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    ......
    The man is a dangerous demagogue and his followers who don't question all these things he says are cowards.


    You want to ruin our country? He's a great efficient way to do just that.
    all that said, I'd still prefer Trump over Clinton, only because of the checks and balances in our system, and I do believe that Trump would make better SCOTUS appointments

    in the end, I'm glad there is a real choice for people to make, my vote will be gong to the Johnson-Weld ticket

    1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •