Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 32526263646566676869707172
Results 1,776 to 1,795 of 1795

Joseph Robinette Biden Jr.

Re: Joseph Robinette Biden Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post

If I find that my Mutual funds exec is abusing company funds and is stealing from the funds (IE my money) do I get to shoot him for stealing my stuff?
    Nope, only Police are allowed to do that.

What about the woman that was opened fire at an (alleged) shop lifter in a parking lot who was getting away?
    Nope, only Police are allowed to do that.

You guys do realize that the moment you start shooting at somebody you're going against the whole "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law"? Self defense is one of the only technical exceptions and even thats not absolute.
    Nope, Police are allowed to do that.

Lets not forget the recent guys stalking a black guy who "looked like a thief" and executing him in the street. That was a good one.
    Police are also allowed to do that.

Edit: How come we can't defend ourselves against police?
    Hmmmm, maybe we've identified part of the problem.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

How come you didn't want an alarm?? Even if its not reporting to the cops etc it seems like the obvious first response of prevention.
    It is very rare that nobody is home for extended periods of time. If we are home we would never set it up (just knowing how we are). The notifications from the cameras and some other smart home stuff seemed sufficient. If you add the monthly costs of most alarm companies just didnít seem valuable.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Posting Freak

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    It is very rare that nobody is home for extended periods of time. If we are home we would never set it up (just knowing how we are). The notifications from the cameras and some other smart home stuff seemed sufficient. If you add the monthly costs of most alarm companies just didnít seem valuable.
    That's fair. We practically never set ours at all.

I think it's worth it for Fire alarm and insurance discount.

In theory it will wake you up in the middle of the night if it senses motion. I'm not sure if you have any other means that would do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    I really hate to carry on in this thread about this, but...

From a very young age my children were all trained to handle firearms. They're currently aged 14, 20 & 28. The oldest was never really into it and just kind of let it slide. The two youngest currently have their own stockpile of .22's, a couple .410's & combos and a couple air rifles, and each has their own .243. Everyone in the house can get to a firearm in short time and they all fully know how to load, chamber & shoot any number of firearms in our possession. They've all shot just about everything I own, although the boy isn't a big fan of handguns.

I should point something out though: my primary use for just about any of the firearms we own are for hunting and recreation. I've never once purchased a firearm with personal/home protection as primary reasoning. All but a few of my purchases were made with hunting and/or recreation as my number one reason.
    Hunting and recreation are true, honest uses IMO.

I'm assuming when you hunt the objective is to put some meat in the freezer, not just sport.

Shooting at targets is fun.

Sound like by the time anyone in your house is ready to defend themselves, the dog already has already caused the baddies to flee or has the under control with soiled pants, as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    There's an interesting point here.

When the male gun owner who is armed to protect his home and family goes off to work or is out of the house when his spouse is home, is she at greater risk, or is she as armed and "trained" as he is?
    My ex-wife used a bigger handgun than I do (she likes .45ACP in a 1911 design; I go with .40S&W in a Glock), and she was as good a shot as I am. I let her keep the ones she liked best in the divorce.

All y'all who are shouting stupid shit about how nobody ever really needs to defend themselves need to (a) check your privilege -- not everyone lives in a safe rural place, and (b) check your privilege again -- not everyone is ablebodied and young and large and able to defend themselves against anyone who might victimize them, and (c) pay a little attention to reality -- even the fucking Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence has to admit that guns are used defensively at least 400,000 times a year in this country. And this is the THIRD TIME I've had to make that point IN THIS THREAD ALONE. That's a LOT of crimes prevented, and a LOT of people who chose not to be victims.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; Yesterday at 09:30 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Shooting paper targets gets stupid boring after a while. All I care about is hitting a dinner plate at maybe 20 yards at best with most of my pistols. I used to do a lot of skeet and trap, and far better at trap. Fun fact: next town over has an INDOOR skeet range, you basically feel like you’re shooting in your high school gym.

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    My ex-wife used a bigger handgun than I do (she likes .45ACP in a 1911 design; I go with .40S&W in a Glock), and she was as good a shot as I am. I let her keep the ones she liked best in the divorce.

All y'all who are shouting stupid shit about how nobody ever really needs to defend themselves need to (a) check your privilege -- not everyone lives in a safe rural place, and (b) check your privilege again -- not everyone is ablebodied and young and large and able to defend themselves against anyone who might victimize them, and (c) pay a little attention to reality -- even the fucking Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence has to admit that guns are used defensively at least 400,000 times a year in this country. And tis is the THIRD TIME I've had to make that point IN THIS THREAD ALONE. That's a LOT of crimes prevented, and a LOT of people who chose not to be victims.

PhilB
    Not one person said here that nobody ever has to defend themselves.

The point was made that for the vast majority of people, other deterrents are going to stop anyone breaking into you house in the first place. That's all.

edit: As far as I recall, anyway.

Last edited by Degsy; Yesterday at 09:34 PM.
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Not one person said here that nobody ever has to defend themselves.

The point was made that for the vast majority of people, other deterrents are going to stop anyone breaking into you house in the first place. That's all.

edit: As far as I recall, anyway.
    Mad dogs and Englishmen...

Posting Freak

even the fucking Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence has to admit that guns are used defensively at least 400,000 times a year in this country.
    PhilB
    Been trying to find this source to no luck. Help a brotha out?

Even if true, 0.1% risk of needing to use a gun defensively isn't exactly fear inspiring but sure, whatever floats your boat.

Also,

What part of the statistic do people like this fall into?

Good Samaritans try to stop people from (allegedly) breaking into cars

Dies

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/goo...ies/991805091/

Last edited by Vovchandr; Yesterday at 10:28 PM.

Posting Freak

Still couldn't find your source

Came across this

https://fee.org/articles/more-people...20every%20year.

But look deeper into the numbers. During that five-year period, the Department of Justice confirmed a total of 338,700 defensive gun uses in both violent attacks and property crimes where a victim was involved. That equals an average of 67,740 defensive gun uses every year.
    I thought 0.1% was low. This makes it 0.0125%

All y'all who are shouting stupid shit about how nobody ever really needs to defend themselves need to (a) check your privilege -- not everyone lives in a safe rural place, and (b) check your privilege again -- not everyone is ablebodied and young and large and able to defend themselves against anyone who might victimize them, and (c) pay a little attention to reality -- even the fucking Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence has to admit that guns are used defensively at least 400,000 times a year in this country. And this is the THIRD TIME I've had to make that point IN THIS THREAD ALONE. That's a LOT of crimes prevented, and a LOT of people who chose not to be victims.

PhilB
    Yet somehow, the NRA monthly Rifleman magazine can only come up with, what, 8-10 examples per month?

PhilB
    Why are you SHOUTING? Once again, you’re being exhibiting a lot of anger; very dangerous if you’re a gun owner...

. 45 acp push more than they snap like a. 40sw, and the 40 honestly is a shit cartridge. Yeah they're tanks but shoot what you like and what you're comfortable with IMHO.

[/IMG][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    . 45 acp push more than they snap like a. 40sw, and the 40 honestly is a shit cartridge. Yeah they're tanks but shoot what you like and what you're comfortable with IMHO.
    I’ve learned to appreciate my .357 cheapo Taurus poly pro 605 revolver... My go to carry piece now...

Quote Originally Posted by MysterySquid View Post
    I’ve learned to appreciate my .357 cheapo Taurus poly pro 605 revolver... My go to carry piece now...
    Love my SS gp100 6"

[/IMG][/URL]

Hunting and recreation are true, honest uses IMO.

I'm assuming when you hunt the objective is to put some meat in the freezer, not just sport.
    Yes, the main objective is food. Although this winter I'll be thinning the coyote population out at the props. We found another pile of what appeared to be deer bones out at the props (my hunting grounds). Coyotes have been a problem out there for a couple years now. I also have my bear tag this year. I'm not a fan of the meat, but if the opportunity presents itself I'll be donating a shitload of bear meat to local pantries.

Shooting at targets is fun.
    It can get boring, no doubt. When things need spicing up though, there's always tannerite.

Sound like by the time anyone in your house is ready to defend themselves, the dog already has already caused the baddies to flee or has the under control with soiled pants, as it should be.
    That's the point! Hopefully, the motion detector spotlights would be enough of a deterrent. The alarm is rarely on, so the dog would be the next goalie. If those things aren't enough to stop them, someone's got some serious balls.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Love my SS gp100 6"
    I have the same and also love it. Like you said about the .45acp, the gp100 pushes more than it snaps.

Couldn't hit shit stock sights, put on tru glo adjustable sites and can occasionally hit a 10" going at 50 yards now.

- - - Updated - - -

Love my SS gp100 6"
    I have the same and also love it. Like you said about the .45acp, the gp100 pushes more than it snaps.

Couldn't hit shit stock sights, put on tru glo adjustable sites and can occasionally hit a 10" going at 50 yards now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    Misspelt.
    So you're saying you're also a cockwamble.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Lifer

I keep a full auto flintlock muzzleloader with 12 clips in the nightstand. You just never know these days.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I keep a full auto flintlock muzzleloader with 12 clips in the nightstand. You just never know these days.
    Are you afraid someone is going to break in and steal the paddle steamer from out of your pole barn?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek