Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 324

Las Vegas

  1. #251
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,919

    Re: Las Vegas


    Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Not unless things changed since my last FAA medical, granted that was a long time ago.
    Youre a commercial pilot?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  2. #252
    BMW track whore e30addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I93/495
    Age
    45
    Posts
    7,414

    Re: Las Vegas

    Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Youre a commercial pilot?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    I hold an airline transport pilot certificate for multi engines and commercial single engine for land. I let my CFII expire a few years ago.

    I'm not current at the moment, but I used to fly commercial turbo props and the 50 seat regional jets.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

  3. #253
    First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Farmington
    Age
    43
    Posts
    17,327

    Re: Las Vegas

    Ill play into Bergs conspiracy theory.
    Theres lots of eyewitness accounts claiming more than 1 shooter.
    Reports of victims being shot multiple times i find interesting considering the distance.
    Speaking of ditance, the range of the weapons hes alleged to have used would be near their limit of effective range.
    How is it that no one that knew him knew he had all these guns? Or any guns at all?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #254
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,919

    Re: Las Vegas

    Not tested but yeah, tested. Kinda. How are airline pilots tested for mental health?
    |
    Need to Know | Air & Space Magazine


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  5. #255
    Senior Member AEG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Simsbury, CT
    Posts
    627

    Re: Las Vegas

    Wondering if the commercial pilots mental tests are same in the US and in Europe. Remember a German pilot aimed his plane into the mountain a few years ago. He was a little upset about something in his life.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #256
    Lifer SteveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwell, MA
    Age
    61
    Posts
    3,486

    Re: Las Vegas

    Texas Tech cop shot dead by student.

    They showed up for a routine welfare check, found drugs and related paraphernalia and brought him in for their usual debriefing.

    Once in the station, the student pulled a gun and shot the cop in the head.

    The student then got loose, but was later apprehended.

    Breaking: Suspect identified, Texas Tech police officer killed on campus | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SteveM; 10-09-17 at 09:47 PM.

  7. #257
    BMW track whore e30addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I93/495
    Age
    45
    Posts
    7,414

    Re: Las Vegas

    Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Not tested but yeah, tested. Kinda. How are airline pilots tested for mental health?
    |
    Need to Know | Air & Space Magazine


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Most of the guys I flew with knew a doc who will rubber stamp a medical and made sure that doc is not the same one you regularly see.

    I used to walk in, say hi, hand mine my credit card and leave with my new medical. Not a stitch of clothing removed or anything.

    There's really no oversight there, just words on paper that make people feel safe

    You can't really be a complete nut job and get through the whole hiring process, never mind what it takes to get there in the first place. There would have to be very big signs to in order for someone to lose that seat for mental issues though.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 10-09-17 at 10:09 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

  8. #258
    Lifer BSR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,093

    Re: Las Vegas

    Itís been a while since Iíve been on the site so let me do some catching up here.

    The reason they stopped funding the CDC to do firearms research is because they were being leveraged as a political tool to promote gun control. In short, the head of the CDC is appointed and therefore all the current administration has to do is appoint someone on their side of the debate to assure the research supports their view. This is exactly what happened in the 90ís. Outside of the CDC there is still plenty of research being conducted on the topic and the idea that the CDC has to be involved is a bit ridiculous. Especially when you consider the potential for bias. Anyone who insists it's because the gun lobby has Washington by the balls is either speaking out of ignorance, or needs to do a little more research before holding such a view.

    In terms of data and comparing ourselves to other nations. In my current job I analyze data that supposedly demonstrates consumer behavior. I listen to presentations from many different sources and wow it can get dizzying. On one side, I will listen to very convincing presentations sighting solid data. Then, an hour later, a different research firm will deliver an equally solid presentation but tell us the exact opposite from the first. Most of the time they will be using the same data! Who do we believe? But before we even go thereÖIn the gun debate we are often looking at data from different countries. That means different sources, using different recording methods. The problem of different data sources is a huge issue for analysts. If anyone tells you the data is being recorded the same manner within all of these countries, they are flat out wrong. God only knows how much is being missed versus how much is actually recording and this rate varies TREMENDOUSLY from nation to nation. Iíll keep this short by saying if you think simply dropping a few numbers to prove your point makes your argument sound think again.

    When it comes to carrying, Iím generally not one to carry in public. When I do itís because Iím traveling to and from the shooting range. I carry most when Iím isolated such as in the woods or traveling in remote areas. A lot of people donít realize that most violent crime occurs between criminals or individuals who associate with criminals. For the average law abiding citizen itís very rare. When it does occur itís usually by someone we know such as an angry spouse etc. The times where us law abiding people are likely to be victims of violent crime from strangers are when we are isolated. Thereís no one around to witness or interfere and therefore the situation is often viewed as an opportunity by criminals thus we become more susceptible.

    It always cracks me up when gun control advocates make points like ďeven if it saves one life itís worth it!Ē to support legislation they want to see passed. Yet when the debate shifts to carrying, they suddenly abandon the idea. As far as Iím concerned, anyone arguing against carrying is arguing against ďdoing somethingĒ about mass shootings since the odds of either situation happening are so rare.

    4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #259
    Hypertarded
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,382

    Re: Las Vegas

    Not specific to you Chip, just found your quote easiest.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I'd love to hear your plan for fixing all the crazy, and with that, your opinion on whether crazy people should be allowed to arm themselves to the teeth.
    As far as the "crazy" goes, currently as far as I know there are no "big pharma" prescription restrictions on gun purchases (apparently the LV shooter had a Doc on retainer to prescribe Valium/diazepam), however there are restrictions if you have a "medical marijuana" card So you can down your Valium with a gallon of Jack a day and , however if you ingest a few special brownies a week for pain or anxiety NO GUN FOR YOU

    Thoughts on that situation

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #260
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    20,618

    Re: Las Vegas

    My "without really thinking too hard about it" thought would be that you have a valid point. It was a political decision I imagine. No lobbyist works for big mary jane (yet). TONS work for big pharma. No industry wants to be associated with people losing their ability to buy firearms.

    How many times has these mass casualty situations resulted from people with documented mental health issues? Not a baited question, genuinely curious.



    The point that we need to keep in "mind" is that mental health issues are not "cured" like traditional medicine. They are often lifelong ailments that are treated. So the "well we need to fix the mental health issue first!" point of view is just completely lacking in understanding of mental health in general. There will never be a time where we can high five each other and say "Ok, we fixed mental health! yay!". It will always continue to be a process of recognizing, understanding, treating and trying to reduce mental health issues.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 10-10-17 at 02:43 PM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  11. #261
    Lifer Kurlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterboro ME
    Age
    43
    Posts
    12,958

    Re: Las Vegas

    Also worth considering is the ever widening scope of what a 'mental illness' is, I'd wager you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who couldn't be slapped with a diagnosis of some kind these days.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC

  12. #262
    BMW track whore e30addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I93/495
    Age
    45
    Posts
    7,414

    Re: Las Vegas

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post



    The point that we need to keep in "mind" is that mental health issues are not "cured" like traditional medicine. They are often lifelong ailments that are treated. So the "well we need to fix the mental health issue first!" point of view is just completely lacking in understanding of mental health in general.
    If we're being honest here really aren't any viable quick fixes for the bulk of the problems are there? Anything is going to take decades to really take effect. Anybody who claims there is an easy way to address the "gun violence" problem is delusional or lying.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

  13. #263
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,125,826

    Re: Las Vegas

    Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    Not specific to you Chip, just found your quote easiest.....


    As far as the "crazy" goes, currently as far as I know there are no "big pharma" prescription restrictions on gun purchases (apparently the LV shooter had a Doc on retainer to prescribe Valium/diazepam), however there are restrictions if you have a "medical marijuana" card So you can down your Valium with a gallon of Jack a day and , however if you ingest a few special brownies a week for pain or anxiety NO GUN FOR YOU

    Thoughts on that situation
    There is on ammo purchases. At least there is if you're receiving pain meds via Social Security disability. I use the term "via Social Security disability" as a blanket. My father inlaw suddenly could no longer purchase ammo because he was on the dole for getting pain meds through his SS benefits. This after 60+ years of owning several firearms. Poor guy literally grew up hunting and passed that along to his sons and his daughter (my wife). Even earned sharp shooting credentials (with revolvers and rifles) and gun safety certificates, not only through the NRA but the State of NH as well. Within months after receiving his first shipment of pain meds, he was no longer allowed to buy ammo. I can't say for certain if that was a federal thing or state thing. I can't even say for certain the whats nor whys of it. I only know it happened to him and he felt utterly screwed by it...

    I'd venture a guess that people on anti depressants and/or anxiety med's would also fall under that umbrella?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  14. #264
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,125,826

    Re: Las Vegas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Also worth considering is the ever widening scope of what a 'mental illness' is, I'd wager you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who couldn't be slapped with a diagnosis of some kind these days.
    Incredibly good point!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  15. #265
    Lifer jasnmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chichester, NH
    Posts
    4,483

    Re: Las Vegas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Also worth considering is the ever widening scope of what a 'mental illness' is, I'd wager you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who couldn't be slapped with a diagnosis of some kind these days.
    Roughly 1 in 5 adult Americans can be diagnosed with a mental illness within the past year.

    NIMH >> Any Mental Illness (AMI) Among U.S. Adults

    Roughly 1 in 25 adult Americans can be diagnosed with a serious mental illness within the past year.

    NIMH >> Serious Mental Illness (SMI) Among U.S. Adults

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  16. #266
    Jamnuts jhawley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southern CT
    Age
    37
    Posts
    957

    Re: Las Vegas

    Missed a lot of this thread but gave it a good read thru today.

    looking at this come a completely different set of eyes. That article has to me the whitest thing I've read in a while. Can you imagine the outcry form this if the guy was brown. If Trump being is office has proved anything, is that if your a white guy in America the bar for you is so fucking low, its impossible not to trip over it.

    Call me an asshole but if black folks started popping off with mass shootings there would be some sweeping fucking changes. (cue the inner city violence guy) After Sandy Hook, that was a point of no return. A bunch of suburban white kids get slaughtered and shit doesn't change. America isn't doing shit with guns.

    I'd love to round up all the guns and start over but we all know that isn't going to happen.
    Laws need to be tougher, you commit a crime and a gun is involved, toss your ass in prison for a 15 years.

    Also Chris Rock put it best years ago. You don't need gun control, you need bullet control.
    Chris Rock -- Bullet Control (HD) - YouTube

    - - - Updated - - -

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  17. #267
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    20,618

    Re: Las Vegas

    Tougher laws?

    For these mass shootings, hard to keep a dead body in prison for longer. They start to smell bad pretty quick.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  18. #268
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    20,618

    Re: Las Vegas

    I think we need to examine the belief structure that leads someone to commit a mass killing and then take their own life. To understand why is to have a chance to prevent it in the future. The tools (guns) are not the most important part of this solution.

    3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  19. #269
    Lifer Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    the fairest of havens
    Age
    42
    Posts
    14,273

    Re: Las Vegas

    Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    Not specific to you Chip, just found your quote easiest.....


    As far as the "crazy" goes, currently as far as I know there are no "big pharma" prescription restrictions on gun purchases (apparently the LV shooter had a Doc on retainer to prescribe Valium/diazepam), however there are restrictions if you have a "medical marijuana" card So you can down your Valium with a gallon of Jack a day and , however if you ingest a few special brownies a week for pain or anxiety NO GUN FOR YOU

    Thoughts on that situation
    I don’t think I’m in any minority in saying: I’d rather be around someone stoned, or who uses marijuana regularly, and weapons, than someone on any one of a zillion prescription psych meds.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

  20. #270
    Lifer joeswamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Swampscott, MA
    Posts
    1,204

    Re: Las Vegas

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I think we need to examine the belief structure that leads someone to commit a mass killing and then take their own life. To understand why is to have a chance to prevent it in the future. The tools (guns) are not the most important part of this solution.
    I kind of agree but how practical is this? You could have made the same argument the day after September 11th: "Instead of reinforcing cockpit doors, we should be seeking out people with homicidal belief systems and convince them to behave otherwise."

    Miraculously curing all mentally ill people just does not seem to be the most practical approach.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

  21. #271
    Senior Member AEG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Simsbury, CT
    Posts
    627

    Las Vegas

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I think we need to examine the belief structure that leads someone to commit a mass killing and then take their own life. ....
    If it could be possible to change the order of steps planned Iím content with that.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by AEG; 10-10-17 at 04:39 PM.

  22. #272
    Lifer Pittenger5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Austin
    Age
    40
    Posts
    15,229

    Re: Las Vegas

    Quote Originally Posted by joeswamp View Post
    According to the wikipedia description, the attack lasted from 10:05 to 10:15, at which point a security guard was outside his room. He then shot 200 rounds through the door (injuring the guard), but at 10:17 officers were already in the hallway. At that point the gunfire ended.

    Even though they waited until 11:20 to blow the door open, it's possible he shot himself at 10:17.
    Now they're saying the security guard was shot BEFORE he started shooting on the crowd. My timeline questions are coming back into play.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

    Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

  23. #273
    Lifer BSR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,093

    Re: Las Vegas

    As I skim though all of these posts...The fact that people are so naive to believe that we can just pass a bunch of laws and our problems will be solved just floors me. I'm in no way saying we "should just deal with it". I just want to see proposals that will actually solve the problem. It would be nice to start with ideas generated by those who actually know something about guns.

    It's funny how we (pro gun crowd) are being called the morons by a bunch of people who believe that knee jerk reactions proposed by individuals who know almost nothing about the topic at hand will solve everything.

    5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  24. #274
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    20,618

    Re: Las Vegas

    Quote Originally Posted by joeswamp View Post
    I kind of agree but how practical is this? You could have made the same argument the day after September 11th: "Instead of reinforcing cockpit doors, we should be seeking out people with homicidal belief systems and convince them to behave otherwise."

    Miraculously curing all mentally ill people just does not seem to be the most practical approach.
    Practicality is based on effort/risk/detriment vs reward. It is a ratio.

    I'm not saying at all "don't try all available options" to attain the given result. Don't be the alarmist/totalitarian like the gun nuts are. It's just as kneejerk as the anti's.

    If you read my previous post regarding mental illness, I can't see how you would still be of that opinion on my stance.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  25. #275
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,919

    Re: Las Vegas

    Guns dont kill people. People kill people. You dont have to know about guns to suggest sensible gun reform, you just need to know about people.

    Its simple. All guns can kill. End of story. Limiting this and banning that is as pointless as saying "ban all red cars because they get in more accidents".

    I hate the whole "pro gun/anti gun" line of thinking. I believe almost everyone is pro gun/pro sensible legislation. Until we understand that, we will have emotive argument on both sides getting nowhere.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •