Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Las Vegas

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Las Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Amazing, how yet again, everyone wants to gloss over how any gun control measure, present or wished for, would have prevented this.........
    Nevermind he was DD from the military for assault, from what Ive read (not sure the 100% accuracy) his background should have prevented him from buying guns. But alas, someone screwed up and he did. Guess we need more laws.

0 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Dic on
    iTrader Score

Soooooo, no comments on the Antifa angle eh?

I haven't seen any mention of what weapon the guy was stopped with either. My guess is that means it was the same type of killy "assault" rifle.

Amazing, how yet again, everyone wants to gloss over how any gun control measure, present or wished for, would have prevented this.........

As for trucks, we could simply ban automatic ones. No one can drive a standard for shit anymore. Problem solved!
    "Antifa angle" lol.

You really need to examine your sources of "news".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Thank God for gun rights, could have been so much worse if there wasn't an armed good guy on the scene.

Edit: Chip beat me to it

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Nevermind he was DD from the military for assault, from what Ive read (not sure the 100% accuracy) his background should have prevented him from buying guns. But alas, someone screwed up and he did. Guess we need more laws.
    bad conduct discharge. one step below Dishonorable. It doesn't come with the same societal restrictions, afaik.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM LRRS 560x retired, PSTR 317 B-vet, NETRA enduro B-vet

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    bad conduct discharge. one step below Dishonorable. It doesn't come with the same societal restrictions, afaik.
    From CNN: At one point, the shooter tried to get a license to carry a gun in Texas but was denied by the state, Abbott said, citing the director of Texas' Department of Public Safety.
    "So how was it that he was able to get a gun? By all the facts that we seem to know, he was not supposed to have access to a gun," Abbott said. "So how did this happen?"
    Thats the governor speaking.So maybe he wasnt allowed to carry, but was allowed to own?

0 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

iTrader Score

also, before you spout off about the "good guy with a gun", peep this:Church shooter killed himself after vehicle chase, sheriff tells CBS | Reuters
    The Texas church massacre could have been worse if not for one man - CNN

.A local resident grabbed his own rifle and engaged the gunman, said Freeman Martin, the regional director of the Texas Department of Public Safety

"The suspect dropped his rifle, which was a Ruger AR assault-type rifle and fled from the church," said Martin, adding that the resident then chased the gunman
    Sounds like a good ole boy stopped it. Stop doesnt need to mean kill....

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 11-06-17 at 10:38 AM.
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

From CNN: At one point, the shooter tried to get a license to carry a gun in Texas but was denied by the state, Abbott said, citing the director of Texas' Department of Public Safety.
    "So how was it that he was able to get a gun? By all the facts that we seem to know, he was not supposed to have access to a gun," Abbott said. "So how did this happen?"
    Thats the governor speaking.So maybe he wasnt allowed to carry, but was allowed to own?
    you mean the guy that said "don't blow it out there that it should have never happened, because it does happen"? (in reference to these types of shootings)

we either need to accept that kids at school, grandmas, night clubbers, and venue attendees of every kind can get shot at any second and thats just the lifestyle we're ok with in America, or begin taking steps towards keeping weapons out of the wrong hands.
    If its a mental health problem, lets start there and not cut mental health programs.
    If dude wasn't in possession of a weapon legally (even though he reportedly posted a pic of his fully dressed AR the week before with the caption "she's a bad bitch") then we should be damn sure we are holding whomever let him have this thing also accountable.

- - - Updated - - -

The Texas church massacre could have been worse if not for one man - CNN

Sounds like a good ole boy stopped it. Stop doesnt need to mean kill....

you are pathetic.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    3 (100%)

Ownership / ability to purchase firearms, in most states has nothing to do with ability to carry, either open or concealed.

Whether or not the shooter was actually a prohibited person is unclear. Generally, someone who is convicted of domestic abuse is considered a prohibited person (not allowed to purchase or own firearms). I'm not sure if there is a difference in being convicted in a Court Marshall for domestic vs. "Normal" Court and how all of that reporting works.

In *most* states there is no license needed to simply own firearms (there are some, but not most). That's what background checks are for. If there were licenses for ownership there wouldn't be a need for background checks, as the license would serve that purpose.

Texas DPS doesn't decide if he can purchase. Federal NICS (National Instant Criminal (background check) System) does.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

you mean the guy that said "don't blow it out there that it should have never happened, because it does happen"? (in reference to these types of shootings)

we either need to accept that kids at school, grandmas, night clubbers, and venue attendees of every kind can get shot at any second and thats just the lifestyle we're ok with in America, or begin taking steps towards keeping weapons out of the wrong hands.
    If its a mental health problem, lets start there and not cut mental health programs.
    If dude wasn't in possession of a weapon legally (even though he reportedly posted a pic of his fully dressed AR the week before with the caption "she's a bad bitch") then we should be damn sure we are holding whomever let him have this thing also accountable.

- - - Updated - - -

you are pathetic.
    Why? Because my comment does nt fit your narrative.

A resident stopped the guy from actively killing people. No one disputes that.

Whether or not the dipshit took his own life after the fact is irrelevant.

More people would be dead if it wasn't for the resident. Sorry you can't come to terms with that.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Why? Because my comment does nt fit your narrative.

A resident stopped the guy from actively killing people. No one disputes that.

Whether or not the dipshit took his own life after the fact is irrelevant.

More people would be dead if it wasn't for the resident. Sorry you can't come to terms with that.
    nope. they didn't. he killed 27 people. they failed.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

nope. they didn't. he killed 27 people. they failed.
    Got it. You obviously would prefer he had killed more until someone with a badge showed up to stop it

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Got it. You obviously would prefer he had killed more until someone with a badge showed up to stop it
    Nope, not at all. But go ahead and keep living in your Rambo fantasy land.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Nope, not at all. But go ahead and keep living in your Rambo fantasy land.
    Well if you don't want to credit an average citizen from ending it how did you expect it to end?

The guy either runs out of ammo or someone with a gun and badge shows up and stops it.

Or a guy with a gun does.....

That's not my Rambo fantasies. That's reality.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

sounds like he had more firearms in the vehicle and was possibly going to go somewhere else after to continue...the good guy may have saved the day cause the cops response time is most times never quick enough...have to protect yourself cause by the time the cops get there you may already be dead...surprised there wasn't anyone shooting back at him inside the church...would have been tough for a church goer with a pistol vs rifle + body armor though...better off protecting you and yours and getting out

Texas shooting: Hero tackled gunman as he left the church | Daily Mail Online

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 11-06-17 at 11:40 AM.
    bike: 10 Bonneville SE
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

iTrader Score
    3 (100%)

Churches in TX can elect to be places where firearms aren't allowed by simply posting signage.

I have no information on whether or not this church had binding signage.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Churches in TX can elect to be places where firearms aren't allowed by simply posting signage.

I have no information on whether or not this church had binding signage.
    This. I believe that's a relatively new development as well. Previously all places of worship were prohibited, so gun free zone......

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/06/texa...-database.html

Definitely need more gun control! That will fix all the problems!

1 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

The system as we know it has definitely failed here.

Columbine is not even amongst the top ten deadliest mass shootings in America anymore, officially. Think about that.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/06/texa...-database.html

Definitely need more gun control! That will fix all the problems!
    So, if you dig into the details, the military does not have a 'domestic violence' charge, which is what the statute calls for being submitted to the database. He was convicted of vanilla assault. Yes, if you read the details it was obviously domestic violence, but the statute doesn't say 'domestic violence circumstances' it says domestic violence conviction. We do not want to go down a slippery slope of having the law allow for gray area judgement calls so the correct action in this case would be to update the military law to include a specific domestic violence charge.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / ??? - 2009 XC-W 300

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    So, if you dig into the details, the military does not have a 'domestic violence' charge, which is what the statute calls for being submitted to the database. He was convicted of vanilla assault. Yes, if you read the details it was obviously domestic violence, but the statute doesn't say 'domestic violence circumstances' it says domestic violence conviction. We do not want to go down a slippery slope of having the law allow for gray area judgement calls so the correct action in this case would be to update the military law to include a specific domestic violence charge.
    I dont care about the charges, but this part: "The Pentagon separately disclosed that it had failed to furnish information about the gunman's criminal record from his U.S. Air Force service to a national database that should have prevented him from legally purchasing the firearms he bought." The wording is irrelevant. Someone did do their job, which would have enforced the laws on books. But dont worry, more laws will protect us in the future!

1 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

iTrader Score

I dont care about the charges, but this part: "The Pentagon separately disclosed that it had failed to furnish information about the gunman's criminal record from his U.S. Air Force service to a national database that should have prevented him from legally purchasing the firearms he bought." The wording is irrelevant. Someone did do their job, which would have enforced the laws on books. But dont worry, more laws will protect us in the future!
    Right, and if you go by the letter of the law, they were NOT supposed to furnish that info, as it was not relevant.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / ??? - 2009 XC-W 300

iTrader Score
    3 (100%)

From the CNBC Article

The Air Force acknowledged on Monday that Kelley's 2012 conviction on two counts of domestic violence were never entered into the National Criminal Information Center (NCIC) system, a U.S. government data bank used by licensed gun dealers for conducting background checks on firearms purchasers.
    Shooter was a Prohibited Person. Air Force failed to mark him as such. Existing laws should have prevented him purchasing the weapon used. If not for "domestic violence" simply based on term of sentence for the assault being possibly in excess of 1 year.
    The laws failed to save 26 people in this case.
    Of course the next question is what would have happened if he had been prevented from purchasing, which we can't answer.

Brown said his mother told him the first shots came through the windows, then the assailant walked through the front door and started shooting, opening fire even at those diving on the floor for cover or attempting to flee. Farida Brown was in the last pew, beside a woman who was shot multiple times, her son told CNN.
    "She was pretty certain she was next, and her life was about to end. Then somebody with a gun showed up at the front of the church, caught the shooter's attention. He left and that was the end of the ordeal," David Brown said.
    According to this, at least 1 life was clearly saved by the citizen.

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    7 (100%)

“In retrospect Sandy Hook marked the end of the US gun control debate,” Dan Hodges, a British journalist, wrote in a post on Twitter two years ago, referring to the 2012 attack that killed 20 young students at an elementary school in Connecticut. “Once America decided killing children was bearable, it was over.”

What Explains U.S. Mass Shootings? International Comparisons Suggest an Answer - The New York Times

3 Not allowed!
    Last edited by typeone; 11-07-17 at 05:09 PM.
    Beta 250RR

iTrader Score
    3 (100%)

Interview with citizen. I haven't watched it yet.

0 Not allowed!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213