Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Las Vegas

Re: Las Vegas

Paul are you serious or is it major sarcasm? I can't tell.

0 Not allowed!

I find it romantic, the notion of carrying a firearm for self defense. Unless one is carrying at the ready, ( I use that term in the tactical military sense) the idea that Joe homeowner can retrieve, load, and use a weapon in an instance of high stress like a break in is laughable. As is the notion that one could retrieve a holstered weapon and squeeze one off with a gun pointed in your face.
    There are certainly going to be examples of people doing just so, but I believe that to be the vast minority.

1 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    the several comments from people that live in Las Vegas who don't know anyone who was killed or injured or know anyone who knows anyone.
    My boss who lives in Tewksbury.. his wife knew the lady from Tewksbury who was killed.

Also a guy I grew up with, his wife was there with about 7 other girls from my old town and they all saw people bleeding really bad and shot and a couple "what they assume" were dead people...

So don't believe some bullshit like nobody from Las Vegas knew anyone who was killed so it must have been fake shit.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I find it romantic, the notion of carrying a firearm for self defense. Unless one is carrying at the ready, ( I use that term in the tactical military sense) the idea that Joe homeowner can retrieve, load, and use a weapon in an instance of high stress like a break in is laughable. As is the notion that one could retrieve a holstered weapon and squeeze one off with a gun pointed in your face.
    There are certainly going to be examples of people doing just so, but I believe that to be the vast minority.
    It's also relevant to consider your environment. I'm pretty sure many of us here live in very safe areas when it comes to violent crime. Doesn't mean it can't happen, and I'm sure it has. Likelihood is very low though. Especially if you don't plan on attempting to stop or interrupt non-violent crime that you're otherwise safely isolated from.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

You confused me there chief. Why do you think people carry?
    Fear? Yes. Fear of shit happening and being helpless. Why is that a bad thing?

0 Not allowed!

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    when it took 9 minutes to breach the room.
    Some say that the unarmed security guard disturbed him, but he had cameras, he had to know it was one guy not swat coming in. He could've dealt with security, and gone back to shooting, but nope, just stopped. That is the only major question for me.
    From what I can gather, he was interrupted at 9 mins, how does he know if more police are coming up the same way the guard did. remember this guys is killing people and HE WAS PLANNING AN ESCAPE with a car full of ammo and basically a car bomb. i'm sure he was trying to figure out how he was going to do this as i'm sure he thought he'd have more time before he was disturbed.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    It's also relevant to consider your environment. I'm pretty sure many of us here live in very safe areas when it comes to violent crime. Doesn't mean it can't happen, and I'm sure it has. Likelihood is very low though. Especially if you don't plan on attempting to stop or interrupt non-violent crime that you're otherwise safely isolated from.
    none of us are isolated. Clearly 22000 people watching Jason Aldean live weren't isolated.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Far more gun owners are hurt by their own firearms than those that ever successfully use one in self defense. That said, I'd still like the option of NOT doing something stupid with mine and having it available should I ever need it.

I'm more concerned with animals than humans. I spend a lot of time in the wilderness and around my house in the woods has large coyotes, some very large brown bears, and other animals I'd rather not have to fend off with a stick if it came down to it.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    You confused me there chief. Why do you think people carry?
    Fear? Yes. Fear of shit happening and being helpless. Why is that a bad thing?
    Because if someone comes up to you with a mask and a gun pointed in your face you're dead before you can touch your gun.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Because if someone comes up to you with a mask and a gun pointed in your face you're dead before you can touch your gun.
    That's a pretty narrow situation. What if I am at Stop and Shop buying some tangelos and some nut job goes off shooting employees and customers because he was fired? There are a lot of examples where shootings would have been much worse were it not for a carrying bystander. If the security guard was carrying in Vegas... he would probably be dead, but who knows?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TwelveGaugeSage View Post
    That's a pretty narrow situation. What if I am at Stop and Shop buying some tangelos and some nut job goes off shooting employees and customers because he was fired? There are a lot of examples where shootings would have been much worse were it not for a carrying bystander. If the security guard was carrying in Vegas... he would probably be dead, but who knows?
    what if you hit the deck like most instinctive humans do in a situation like that?
    as I said, it's pretty romantic that most firearm carriers think they're going to do something heroic.
    I'm not trying to say I'm any better, but I'm pretty honest with the human situation.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

none of us are isolated. Clearly 22000 people watching Jason Aldean live weren't isolated.
    Certainly not. I'm saying day-to-day odds of encountering a scenario where one might even consider using their weapon are low. And lower than living in some of the more violent areas of the country/globe. I'm also agreeing that even in those situations it's probably going to be best to act like you don't have one.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Certainly not. I'm saying day-to-day odds of encountering a scenario where one might even consider using their weapon are low. And lower than living in some of the more violent areas of the country/globe. I'm also agreeing that even in those situations it's probably going to be best to act like you don't have one.
    I either really suck at life today, or you have a real fun way with words.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

I either really suck at life today, or you have a real fun way with words.
    I'm generally awful with sentence structure, and just as bad at composing my thoughts in a cohesive manner. You should see the first drafts If you can believe it, I used to be worse.

I'm guessing we're talking past each other since I can't see what I could correct.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

I find it ironic that people wonder why some people carry and imply it's because of fear yet those same people are afraid of dying in a hail storm of bullets from super killy automatic rifles and think more legislation will keep them safe.

That statement isn't necessarily directed at anyone here btw.

It sure does make me question who the people are who are truly afraid though.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 10-06-17 at 07:57 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Also, I don't think those that carry do so for romantic reasons. Those types are certainly out there, but I bet the vast majority of us hope it never leaves the holster outside of the range.

2 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 10-06-17 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Also, I don't think those that carry do so for romantic reasons. Those types are certainly out there, but I bet the vast majority of us hope it never leaves the holster outside of the range.
    If you didn't think there was cause to use it you wouldn't carry it.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Coming from the military you know full well you can disarm someone like that much faster than you could pull your own weapon on them

0 Not allowed!

If you didn't think there was cause to use it you wouldn't carry it.
    There very well may be cause. I hope to never be in a situation where I have to use it. There's a difference.

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    There very well may be cause. I hope to never be in a situation where I have to use it. There's a difference.
    then why are we all not hearing more stories about how good guys with guns are saving the day? Regular civilian types, and not responding law enforcement.
    What were all those red blooded 2a country music fans doing this past Sunday? Exactly what humans do in a surprise life threat situation: fleeing.

It's romance to think you'll whip that piece out and save the day, by either putting a stop to a threat on someone else's life, or your own.

1 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I own and like guns. I'm for accurate background checks and stuff. I think it's wild that the only ones I hear screaming about people wanting to ban all guns and confiscations, are the right wingers on my facebook. Triggered snow flakes. I have plenty of real conversations discussing universal background checks with friends in person, but online is a shit show.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by jimmycapp; 10-06-17 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    I own and like guns. I'm for accurate background checks and stuff. I think it's wild that the only ones I hear screaming about people wanting to ban all guns and confiscations, are the right wingers on my facebook. Triggered snow flakes. I have plenty of real conversations discussing universal background checks with friends in person, but online is a shit show.
    Simple: Online persona <> real life face to face persona.

0 Not allowed!

then why are we all not hearing more stories about how good guys with guns are saving the day? Regular civilian types, and not responding law enforcement.
    What were all those red blooded 2a country music fans doing this past Sunday? Exactly what humans do in a surprise life threat situation: fleeing.

It's romance to think you'll whip that piece out and save the day, by either putting a stop to a threat on someone else's life, or your own.
    CCW effective in Vegas? Seriously? You must be joking if you think someone is going pull their "piece" and fire at a window 300 yards away

There stories that come out all the time. It's not typically plastered over the news like the bad shit is, particularly in this area.

There are several Reddit threads about them and stuff is also listed in several different firearm publications. It happens plenty, more so than mass shootings, but they don't fur the narrative.

Not that I think you really care, but this thread certainly doesn't paint the romantic picture you seem to want to project on everyone.

[Serious] People who've had to kill others in self defence, how was it like? How's life now, and what kind of aftermath followed? : AskReddit

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 10-06-17 at 08:35 PM.

I’m not doubting the horror of living with the aftermath of taking a life.
    People in 2017 aren’t really built for that.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Dic on

As soon as someone (anyone) starts implying that the news doesnt cover something because "it doesnt fit the narrative" they lose all credibility in my eyes.

If its only covered by fringe media, its embellished at least and at worst, totally made up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX