Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Live free... Or don't?

Lifer

Re: Live free... Or don't?

So let people doing illegal things go unnoticed so long as your preference is not interrupted. Got it.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Your arguments reeks of, "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear".

Do you feel the same way about overbearing electronic surveillance or TSA checkpoints at the airport? If it saves just one life right
    Yes I do. Show up early, accept it, continue enjoying your life. I mean.. Its not like boxcutters can do much damage... Oh wait. So again, until something happens, feel free to continue hitching about an inconvenience.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    So let people doing illegal things go unnoticed so long as your preference is not interrupted. Got it.
    No. Don't resort to unconstitutional b.s. because you're too lazy to do the job otherwise. There's a difference.

1 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Yes, it is my preference to not have my constitutional rights violated. Novel concept.

Here's an idea; if you want to stop drugs coming into the country, how about stopping them at the border instead of setting up checkpoints in bumfuck New Hampshire. Anyway, carry on being scared of your own shadow.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

But I know, I am an unpatriotic sheep.

0 Not allowed!

Sir, you were speeding. You are now under arrest. You will be charged and likely convicted of speeding, which is now a felony offense because someone I know died from someone speeding. Enjoy your 2-5 years in prison for 7 over.

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Yes I do. Show up early, accept it, continue enjoying your life. I mean.. Its not like boxcutters can do much damage... Oh wait. So again, until something happens, feel free to continue hitching about an inconvenience.
    Tell me again how many terrorists TSA has caught.

Shall I dig up the stats on how many weapons they fail to catch. I believe the number I saw last was a 90 failure rate.

They sure do a great job at keeping us safe.

I don't see why we should give up even more of our time so they can waste it for no reason other than it makes sheep feel safer, nevermind the questionable methods they force people to unnecessarily endure.

These checkpoints are much the same. They're a dog and pony show with little tangible results and a blatant violation of our rights.

Papers please.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 09-29-17 at 08:35 AM.

Lifer

Am I the only one who sees things like this as a somewhat necessary evil?
    I honestly don't have an issue with them. It is a minor inconvenience to those that are law abiding, for the good of the whole. It is the same reason I believe background checks are a great thing in the firearm-debate. You know, as citizens we are not required to answer any questions or consent to searches. We do not even have to consent to a secondary search and they'll waive us by. Minor inconvenience for what we as a society are getting out of it. Driving is not a right promised to everyone. There are laws and requirements for a reason.

I also don't want to hear bullshit about how if "you need a checkpoint to do your job, you suck at it". It simply increases the odds of enforcing the law. It is simply another tool and frankly we don't need people overstaying their visas or here illegally. That is a whole 'nother can of worms.

0 Not allowed!

But I know, I am an unpatriotic sheep.
    Answer me two questions.

How many people are killed by columbian drug runners in New England each year?

How many people are killed on motorcycles in New England each year?

Yeah, let's use your false logic. Gunna work out so good for us motorcycle riders in the end.

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

You are right. I've changed my mind. On fact, while we are at it, let's do away with toll booths (taxation is theft!!!), stop lights and stop signs. You all need to have the right of way, free of inconvenience. This is your world. Fuck everyone else.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

You are right. I've changed my mind. On fact, while we are at it, let's do away with toll booths (taxation is theft!!!), stop lights and stop signs. You all need to have the right of way, free of inconvenience. This is your world. Fuck everyone else.
    Calling PhilB!

I have to pull out some of my old textbooks about Hobbes and the idea of a social contract.

1 Not allowed!

Lifer

I was up north last week of August and there was one. They caught like half a dozen illegals and one American who ran from the checkpoint and had drugs on him. That's all potential crimes and violence stopped before they happen. But moreso, 6 less mooches in the country.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

I was up north last week of August and there was one. They caught like half a dozen illegals and one American who ran from the checkpoint and had drugs on him. That's all potential crimes and violence stopped before they happen. But moreso, 6 less mooches in the country.
    Yeah and 35 or something on overstayed visas...

0 Not allowed!

They could have accomplished the same thing by legit traffic stops....

0 Not allowed!

There are over 30 of these checkpoints in the US that are now permanent. I remember leaving Laredo, TX and having to go through the checkpoint about 20 miles north of the border and feeling like WTF, why am I being stopped in my own country for this bullshit?? Coming in from Mexico was difficult enough, I didn't like being stopped again past the border.

On the other hand, just across that river is a 3rd world fucking shithole. The problem with illegals and the cartels there is overwhelming and maybe the checkpoints are saving lives, I don't know.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Answer me two questions.

How many people are killed by columbian drug runners in New England each year?

How many people are killed on motorcycles in New England each year?

Yeah, let's use your false logic. Gunna work out so good for us motorcycle riders in the end.
    Dunno, don't have the data, you'll have to forgive me as I'm sure you will since we are constitutional brothers.

But I'm pretty sure there is a drug problem, so while the Columbians themselves may not KILL someone, their drugs, crimes or actions could lead to it, all while not contributing to society. But hey, the end game of all this constitutional discussion is to stop the slippery slope before it affects us having whatever gun or bike we want. Got it.

Its funny, read my original passive question, a SOMEWHAT (read: not entirely sold on it myself), NECESSARY EVIL (acknowledging it as an evil).

But please @loudbeard , keep telling me what I am afraid of.

0 Not allowed!

...while we are at it, let's do away with toll booths (taxation is theft!!!), stop lights and stop signs. You all need to have the right of way, free of inconvenience. This is your world. Fuck everyone else.
    You argue like my wife...

2 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Perhaps she has a few good points?

Some are so all or nothing it is ridiculous. That was the point here.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Hilariously sarcastic? She must be awesome.

1 Not allowed!

Lifer

Yes, we can't stop all of it, so let's stop none of it.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by sveesix View Post

Some are so all or nothing it is ridiculous. That was the point here.
    Sometimes all or nothing is the appropriate answer

1 Not allowed!

You imply checkpoints are the only option with that statement ....

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

The same group of "nothing shall be infringed people" are the same that thrive off of war rhetoric.

Lets take this much broader, shall we?

If some of you are so set on not giving up any rights for the greater good, why do you feel that it is comfortable to impose sanctions on countries like NK? They have a right to nuclear weapons.

How about the merciless killings that happen by the three letter agencies that we never hear about? The phone tapping and surveillance to carry out all these missions?

It is only "DONT INFRINGE UPON MY RIGHTS" when it directly affects your life. An extra few minutes on the road? That isn't worth taking illegals off the street?

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

It's an option, and likely an implementation of many options is what's needed with the end game being the lack of necessity of them. But some people are inconvenienced, so let's stop trying and accept whatever can happen.

0 Not allowed!

I am all for the government keeping the peace and applying regulations where necessary and effective, but the key word here is "effective". Interrupting the every day lives of millions of people to abide by a process that is in place to prevent a one in a million occurrence is far from effective. Now, let's consider the fact that the measures themselves may not be optimal in thwarting the one in a million occurrence and you start to see my point.

How many people are being inconvenienced by these inspections and how many people do they actually catch? These are the questions I want to have answered before I voiced an opinion.

2 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast