Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Live free... Or don't?

Re: Live free... Or don't?

I find it hugely ironic that the same people that champion law and order are the same people yelling "'Murka" and for people to respect their freedoms.....................

Clearly some of us have not read the Bill of Rights beyond a superficial understanding.

1 Not allowed!
    LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by TwelveGaugeSage View Post
    Immigration Checkpoints: One more way that I get to enjoy my white privilege.

I'm not fluent in Spanish by any means, but have been learning the language on my own(Duolingo) for about a year now. I would definitely be testing it out at one of these checkpoints. Papers please? Really? In America?
    It doesn't bother you how many people take advantage? The country isn't in the greatest position anyway, debt wise, infrastructure wise, etc, and being close to a border, with proof that people from southern countries (@number9, how do you spell it again) are going out of their way to take advantage of us... I dunno. To make an omelette, you have to crack some eggs, you can't win a marathon without putting bandaids on your nipples, etc. Like I said, a necessary evil? I am not sure...

But I do think it is cheap how some people seem to cheapen and bastardize the word 'freedom'.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    ... But I do think it is cheap how some people seem to cheapen and bastardize the word 'freedom'.
    Well, *that* I'll agree with. Not much of anything else you've put in this thread, mind you, but yes, that.

PhilB

1 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    Well, *that* I'll agree with. Not much of anything else you've put in this thread, mind you, but yes, that.

PhilB
    Is that really necessary? Thanks for clarifying.

0 Not allowed!

Is that really necessary? Thanks for clarifying.
    I was trying to stay out of this thread, but you presented an example of irony that was just too delicious.

PhilB

2 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

I was trying to stay out of this thread, but you presented an example of irony that was just too delicious.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

PhilB
    Nice signature, is that the entire quote?

0 Not allowed!

To make an omelette, you have to crack some eggs, you can't win a marathon without putting bandaids on your nipples, etc. Like I said, a necessary evil? I am not sure...
    Here's another way to look at it. You're willing to take away a fundamental right, that is explicitly spelled out in the Bill of Rights, from 320 million citizens than to deal with let's say, 5 million illegal immigrants most of whom DO pay taxes and are not criminals? Who's a subject now?

Like I said, there's a place that does things exactly how you're describing. There are 1.3 billion subjects there.

1 Not allowed!

You become your enemy

For decades I have always been pissed that on the water the LAW can make you heave to without any suspicion of crime

My first wife was gorgeous and was routinely pulled over by horny leo's....

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Stromper; 09-30-17 at 06:24 AM.
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

It doesn't bother you how many people take advantage? The country isn't in the greatest position anyway, debt wise, infrastructure wise, etc, and being close to a border, with proof that people from southern countries (@number9, how do you spell it again) are going out of their way to take advantage of us... I dunno. To make an omelette, you have to crack some eggs, you can't win a marathon without putting bandaids on your nipples, etc. Like I said, a necessary evil? I am not sure...

But I do think it is cheap how some people seem to cheapen and bastardize the word 'freedom'.
    No. It doesn't bother me. I've worked with "illegals" in PA as a harvester and lived among them in Goodyear, AZ. The vast majority of them just want to make a better life for themselves and couldn't afford to do it the proper way. Many of them were brought here as children. We have much bigger problems to worry about(like kneeling NFL players apparently) and giving up constitutional rights is never a proper solution to anything.

1 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by wiggeywackyo View Post
    Here's another way to look at it. You're willing to take away a fundamental right, that is explicitly spelled out in the Bill of Rights, from 320 million citizens than to deal with let's say, 5 million illegal immigrants most of whom DO pay taxes and are not criminals? Who's a subject now?

Like I said, there's a place that does things exactly how you're describing. There are 1.3 billion subjects there.
    It's been made clear I am not up on statistics. There are 320 million people living along the northern and southern border of the USA?

Also, this opinion goes for DUI checkpoints too, right? What else?

0 Not allowed!

It's been made clear I am not up on statistics. There are 320 million people living along the northern and southern border of the USA?

The stats are irrelevant but I'll bite. Some quick reading shows that the approximate number of people who fall under CBP jurisdiction is right around 200 million. I was a little conservative with my 'illegal immigrants in the US number' of 5 million, it's closer to 11 million. We can safely assume that the ratio is roughly proportional to the total population distribution of the country with a larger proportion of them living toward the borders since 'they all just swam and snuck over'. Let's say then that there are 8 million illegals that live under the CBP umbrella.

In that case, you are still willing to give up the rights of 200 million to stick it to the 8 million? If you factor in the actual success rate of these operations, the argument does not look good.

I do feel DUI checkpoints are also unconstitutional.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by wiggeywackyo; 09-30-17 at 11:43 AM.

that 100 mile zone includes the ocean borders as well

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Also, for the record, I am not anti-cop. I am anti-police state.

1 Not allowed!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345