Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

MMA/UFC

Re: MMA/UFC

The main thing here is that its MMA (Mixed Martial Arts). I will admit that the early days it wasn't really MMA and more of a cock fighting atmosphere (No technical skills and no separation of weight classes).

You can't compare say John Jones to Kimbo Slice (He got famous for his underground backyard brawls). I have no knowledge of some of these smaller organizations and their level of professionalism, but the UFC has made this into a legit sport.

You have Golden Glove boxers who get KO'd, Muah Thai fighters who get hospitalized from knees/kicks, wrestlers who get slammed on their heads and grappler/judo/jujitsu fighters who get choked out. These are legit martial arts that are widely accepted in the world. I mean all the above minus Muah Thai are Olympic sports.

The UFC simply is a venue for the elite in these martial arts.

If its a matter of the level of violence/physical harm..... what about the receiver who gets laid out crossing the middle of the field by a line backer? how about forwards getting crushed at center ice? These are all contact sports at the highest of technical levels.

For those that understand the martial arts and their techniques, we often find the technical fights much more entertaining then a brawl. I am more excited during a fight when there's two high level jujitsu black belts exchanging submission attempts but from the offense and defense.

For reference, I'm a 3rd degree black belt in Tae Kwon do and played Junior and college hockey.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy some of the brawls that shows the individuals heart but as an educated person in the martial arts I have a lot of respect for the technical fights. In today's MMA, those brawlers don't have extended success, its the ones who are students of multiple martial art disciplines who are at the top of their game.

0 Not allowed!

I'm going to Vegas for the mcgregor aldo fight in December
    these are elite athletes and know what they are doing
    Can't wait

0 Not allowed!
    eat me

What a lot of people don't realize is there is a ton of conditioning that is involved in their training. I'm not going to say that getting it no longer hurts or anything like that but reality is the body can endure much more than people think, when it has been conditioned and trained to do so. These are tremendous athletes, that work extremely hard to try and achieve any kind of high level in the sport. You can look up things like iron palm, or iron body. This video shows some training that is done is Goju Ryu karate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Epr6COl-M

0 Not allowed!
    Steven

MMA/UFC-15181310_1158698274217985_1127588148827000370_n-jpg

1 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12