Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

National Full Carry Permit

Re: National Full Carry Permit

I'm thinking the republican proposal was just to counter the tactics the democrats were employing. It seems the strategy is more obvious than I ever would have imagined. If the republicans were willing to put that kind of bill on the table they had to be pretty confident the democrats wouldn't vote for it.

It's interesting when you look at the strategies being deployed. First you have the democrats using the republican majority against them by putting through a bill that they know the senate couldn't pass, then garnering public support by showing a strong vote for it (which they could do knowing the republican majority had to vote it down for not being concurrent with federal law i.e. the fourth amendment). Meanwhile, the republicans see it coming so they offer a reasonable alternative.

The democrats really set themselves up. Voting down the alternative could backfire on them (although the people don't seem to be that smart), meanwhile, if they did vote for it the republicans look like heroes for compromising and bringing something to the table that actually passed. So in the end the democrats get screwed regardless of the outcome.

When these tactics come to light, you realize how much of a pathetic show that sit-in protest on the senate floor was. I would love to ask any one of those politicians why they feel the need to protest when they could have simply voted for the republican bill.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    You do know that there is a deep and wide debate about the actual, intended, and practical meaning of the second amendment. There are people as smaht, educated, and versed in the topic who don't come down the same way as you...

(I'm none of those things so my opinion doesn't count.)
    I do know that there is a deep and wide river of sophistry and rationalization, intended to obfuscate "the actual, intended, and practical meaning of the second amendment", to wade through. There are lots of "people as smaht, educated, and versed in the topic" who don't like what the Constitution says and what rights it guarantees, and who thus spend their efforts trying to justify the idea that it means something other than what it says and means.

I have little respect for that, and will not willingly give up the rights of myself and my fellow Americans.

PhilB

5 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    There are a ton of people who get that. We're called domestic terrorists worshipping at the altar of the NRA if we call them out at stuff like that. Cuz guns!!!!!! Common sense! 90%!!!! No one needs a!!!!! Derp............

Seriously, I had one guy call me a murderer who shouldn't be allowed to breathe air because I pointed this very thing out to him.......
    Child killer I believe was the term he used. Unless you are talking about a different one.

0 Not allowed!
    "You don’t need to tell me the horror story about your uncle’s buddy who wiped out his chopper while drag racing at some hooligan rally. That just makes me wish I were talking to your uncle’s buddy instead of you. He sounds pretty cool."

Originally Posted by JalopySiR
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! This time I was laughing at you. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Let's also not forget that for a considerable time there was a democratic majority in both houses of the legislature, as well as a democratic president.

There were no gun restrictions passed. Why not?

Of course it's posturing. Never let a crisis go to waste.

The counter proposal with the "sit-in" was that the rule makers were violating the house rules so that they could pass some rules that they expected criminals to follow. Yeah, that's it.
    Um... you mean when the original awb was passed?

But I digress what do you guys think about all this stuff given the current state of affairs?

For the first time in a long time I have a slight glimmer of hope. But at the same time I know that Democrat or Republican, politicians are still politicians. Also we still have Maura Healy rampaging around here with the support of the courts in her pocket so I'm unsure anything will change here unless they overturn state rights which I am divided on.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by DaveZX6r; 12-15-16 at 12:42 PM.
    "You don’t need to tell me the horror story about your uncle’s buddy who wiped out his chopper while drag racing at some hooligan rally. That just makes me wish I were talking to your uncle’s buddy instead of you. He sounds pretty cool."

The democrats have already promised to fight a national carry bill....

0 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Of course they have. The Democrats have all but promised to fight any bill that Trump supports.

1 Not allowed!

weird that sounds exactly like the R's did with Obama...

4 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZX6r View Post
    Of course they have. The Democrats have all but promised to fight any bill that Trump supports.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    weird that sounds exactly like the R's did with Obama...
    Well, yeah. Neither party has any actual functioning principles or ethics; they're both just fighting with each other for raw power.
    The main thing they work together on is making sure that no one else has a fair fighting chance at any of it.

PhilB

5 Not allowed!
    Last edited by PhilB; 12-15-16 at 01:45 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises

But but but ... is not MY president (insert the name of your liking or not).

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZX6r View Post
    difference now is that the Democrats won't have a veto over the Republican majority

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by AEG View Post
    But but but ... is not MY president (insert the name of your liking or not).
    Part 2 of:

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Lifer

There is a lot going on right now in the 2A realm. The Hearing Protection Act stuff is more likely to be passed before a national carry bill in my opinion. I read and article the other day about how the NRA might use the pushback against national carry to get support for the other instead as a "compromise," but we will see how it all plays out. Personally I could care less about carrying all over the country.

0 Not allowed!

rather have national carry reciprocity...if you get a license in your town it's valid anywhere in the country

1 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sveesix View Post
    There is a lot going on right now in the 2A realm. The Hearing Protection Act stuff is more likely to be passed before a national carry bill in my opinion. I read and article the other day about how the NRA might use the pushback against national carry to get support for the other instead as a "compromise," but we will see how it all plays out. Personally I could care less about carrying all over the country.
    I, OTOH, do care about that. I travel, both for work and for fun, and may end up working in any part of the country. From here I have to ride through NY to get anywhere, and often MA, CT, and/or NJ. Those are all places where I could get seriously screwed for peacefully exercising my rights as I do in NH.

PhilB

5 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    I, OTOH, do care about that. I travel, both for work and for fun, and may end up working in any part of the country. From here I have to ride through NY to get anywhere, and often MA, CT, and/or NJ. Those are all places where I could get seriously screwed for peacefully exercising my rights as I do in NH.

PhilB
    If a national carry permit is passed we are going to have a lot of new felons. Each state has so many different rules that a simple national carry would not address. Capacity, where you can carry, must inform rules, etc. To each his own, I guess. None of this should even be a question in the first place, "shall not be infringed" and all, but here we stand.

1 Not allowed!

If a national carry permit is passed we are going to have a lot of new felons. Each state has so many different rules that a simple national carry would not address. Capacity, where you can carry, must inform rules, etc. To each his own, I guess. None of this should even be a question in the first place, "shall not be infringed" and all, but here we stand.
    Sure, there will be a lot of issues to address.
    I more favor full reciprocity, like a driver's license. It's good throughout the country, but you still have the responsibility to know the local traffic laws.
    But anything that fights back against the nannies, and helps recover some of our rights, I'm in favor of, even if it's imperfect.

PhilB

2 Not allowed!
    Last edited by PhilB; 12-16-16 at 12:30 PM.

I think you will find a lo of states making new laws against National carry that it will override it in many.

0 Not allowed!
    You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

I favor a SCOTUS that would declare any state laws restricting the bearing of arms unconstitutional

3 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Too bad there will never be one. States and the Feds have been restricting/infringing on our rights for a long long time now.

1 Not allowed!
    You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

Back in the 60's anything the Feds didn't like a state did a tsunami of federal lawyers would descend upon the state and run the
    law immediately to scotus

MOST pacific coast states are now firmly in the infringment zone

0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123