Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 113 of 115 FirstFirst ... 337393103104105106107108109110111112113114115 LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 2870

Nervous yet? covid-19

Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

Listening to the tapes makes me almost think that the public persona is an act, that trump may actually have half a brain.
    And then I realized he said this shit on tape!

Our eldest little learner just went off to her first day back at school since .. I don't even remember. Was it March? April? Time has collapsed on itself.

Here. We. Go.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Bets on it getting settled out of court?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Bets on it getting settled out of court?
    Interesting how the story changed from party to kids wearing masks watching a basketball game.

Expensive all around. Northeastern can't cave right away or their edict will be pretty meaningless. They have to fight it.

Lawyers win. Everyone else loses.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Northeastern presumably has signed agreements that permit them to do exactly what they did. Still, they will have to weigh the cost of winning in court against the cost of settling.

It’s why we still need massive tort reform.

What I do not understand about this story is that it keeps referring to a semester abroad program, but the kids are at the Westin. I’m guessing the kids would normally be abroad, but this year they cannot, and NU does not have enough on campus housing for them.

Also, Northeastern did not force them into an untenable set of rules. Last time I checked, college was voluntary. The students and their families made a presumably informed choice to do this when they could have deferred a year to let their kid mature, done a PG year somewhere else, gone to a different school, taken courses remotely from home, etc.

Last edited by SteveM; 09-12-20 at 06:28 AM.

Haha. Wow.

Who cares. Let college kids be kids. It won't really effect them anyways.

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Haha. Wow.

Who cares. Let college kids be kids. It won't really effect them anyways.
    Who do you think the parents will blame if their kid gets this and is not asymptomatic, gets really sick, or worse?

What is Northeastern's responsibility and legal obligation to enforce the rules it promised parents would be in effect when they decided it was safe enough to send their children there?

I don't really care. Not my problem.

Does someone sue if a kid gets the flu?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    //What I do not understand about this story is that it keeps referring to a semester abroad program, but the kids are at the Westin. I’m guessing the kids would normally be abroad, but this year they cannot, and NU does not have enough on campus housing for them.//.
    Hotels are largely empty, so a number of them made deals with universities for housing. The problem with most college dorms in a pandemic is shared bathrooms. Hotel rooms have their own so problem solved. This decreases density in the college dorms in use.

Colorado College bought a hotel to use for quarantine. but when one kid tested positive in an otherwise “Socially distanced” dorm, the County Health Commission stepped in, and for various reasons quarantined the entire dorm.

They quarantined two other dorms as well due to a total number of 10 positive tests out of three dorms and 500 kids: even though the school tested kids, had them go to their rooms, and stay there until the test results came back. If they tested positive “People in Hazmat suits” came and got them and moved them to the hotel. Except the county didn’t think that was adequate.....In the meantime, U Alabama Tuscaloosa was proud to announce their positive test rate was down to 125 per day.

My daughter comes off quarantine today at 10am.

Last edited by Garandman; 09-12-20 at 08:08 AM.
    If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Hotels are largely empty, so a number of them made deals with universities for housing. The problem with most college dorms in a pandemic is shared bathrooms. Hotel rooms have their own so problem solved. This decreases density in the college dorms in use.

Colorado College bought a hotel to use for quarantine. but when one kid tested positive in an otherwise “Socially distanced” dorm, the County Health Commission stepped in, and for various reasons quarantined the entire dorm.

They quarantined two other dorms as well due to a total number of 10 positive tests out of three dorms and 500 kids: even though the school tested kids, had them go to their rooms, and stay there until the test results came back. If they tested positive “People in Hazmat suits” came and got them and moved them to the hotel. Except the county didn’t think that was adequate.....In the meantime, U Alabama Tuscaloosa was proud to announce their positive test rate was down to 125 per day.

My daughter comes off quarantine today at 10am.
    I'm well aware of how colleges use hotels for overflow housing, the only thing that confused me was the reference to the first semester abroad program when they were staying at the Westin.

Northeastern presumably has signed agreements that permit them to do exactly what they did. Still, they will have to weigh the cost of winning in court against the cost of settling.

It’s why we still need massive tort reform.

What I do not understand about this story is that it keeps referring to a semester abroad program, but the kids are at the Westin. I’m guessing the kids would normally be abroad, but this year they cannot, and NU does not have enough on campus housing for them.

Also, Northeastern did not force them into an untenable set of rules. Last time I checked, college was voluntary. The students and their families made a presumably informed choice to do this when they could have deferred a year to let their kid mature, done a PG year somewhere else, gone to a different school, taken courses remotely from home, etc.
    Letter of the law vs spirit of the law type thing. A small group of kids, who all tested negative, wearing masks while sitting and watching a game is not the same as a large group of kids having your typical college party yet the hammer was dropped the same. Seems a bit draconian when you have kids attempting to do the right thing in some ways vs kids saying fuck it animal house style.

It's a good point that it's basically a 400k windfall for Northeastern. Classes hadn't even started yet.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Letter of the law vs spirit of the law type thing. A small group of kids, who all tested negative, wearing masks while sitting and watching a game is not the same as a large group of kids having your typical college party yet the hammer was dropped the same. Seems a bit draconian when you have kids attempting to do the right thing in some ways vs kids saying fuck it animal house style.

It's a good point that it's basically a 400k windfall for Northeastern. Classes hadn't even started yet.
    I get it, and there is no doubt that someone at NU decided to make a big, loud, public example here to set the tone for the semester. Colleges have communicated their policies in different ways. NU's communications all summer have been barely one step away from coming right out and saying, "We're NU, we are NOT fucking around with this and if you mess with us, we will drop the hammer on your head."

Posting Freak

North Dakota and South Dakota lead the country in new cases per capita over the last two weeks, ranking first and second respectively, according to Johns Hopkins University researchers...North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum and South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem have resisted mask requirements. Burgum promotes personal choice but tried to encourage masks with a social media campaign. Noem has discouraged mask requirements, saying she doubts a broad consensus in the medical community that they help prevent infections.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
    North Dakota and South Dakota lead the country in new cases per capita over the last two weeks, ranking first and second respectively, according to Johns Hopkins University researchers...North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum and South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem have resisted mask requirements. Burgum promotes personal choice but tried to encourage masks with a social media campaign. Noem has discouraged mask requirements, saying she doubts a broad consensus in the medical community that they help prevent infections.

+ Sturgis

Worldometer has new cases and population.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

ND: 1 in 1,637
    SD 1 in 2,765

I'm well aware of how colleges use hotels for overflow housing, the only thing that confused me was the reference to the first semester abroad program when they were staying at the Westin.
    The Westin, in addition to being a hotel, also has condo units. The über rich kids, particularly the foreign ones, favor the condos at the Westin because they have private garages for their exotic cars.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    The Westin, in addition to being a hotel, also has condo units. The über rich kids, particularly the foreign ones, favor the condos at the Westin because they have private garages for their exotic cars.
    Yup,

Saw a lot of them at Suffolk U. Who couldn’t get into NU or BU

Easy to spot them. They'll all be wearing Canada Goose coats in a few weeks

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Driving down Comm Ave when BU is in session was always quite the car show....

Hypertarded

Trump officials interfered with CDC reports on Covid-19

The politically appointed HHS spokesperson and his team demanded and received the right to review CDC’s scientific reports to health professionals.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...ovid-19-412809

The health department’s politically appointed communications aides have demanded the right to review and seek changes to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s weekly scientific reports charting the progress of the coronavirus pandemic, in what officials characterized as an attempt to intimidate the reports’ authors and water down their communications to health professionals.

In some cases, emails from communications aides to CDC Director Robert Redfield and other senior officials openly complained that the agency’s reports would undermine President Donald Trump's optimistic messages about the outbreak,( cough cough RECORDED, PROVEN LIES cough ) according to emails reviewed by POLITICO and three people familiar with the situation.
    The CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports are authored by career scientists and serve as the main vehicle for the agency to inform doctors, researchers and the general public about how Covid-19 is spreading and who is at risk. Such reports have historically been published with little fanfare and no political interference, said several longtime health department officials, and have been viewed as a cornerstone of the nation's public health work for decades.

But since Michael Caputo, a former Trump campaign official with no medical or scientific background, was installed in April as the Health and Human Services department's new spokesperson, there have been substantial efforts to align the reports with Trump's statements, including the president's claims that fears about the outbreak are overstated, or stop the reports altogether.
    Caputo and his team have attempted to add caveats to the CDC's findings, including an effort to retroactively change agency reports that they said wrongly inflated the risks of Covid-19 and should have made clear that Americans sickened by the virus may have been infected because of their own behavior, according to the individuals familiar with the situation and emails reviewed by POLITICO.

Caputo's team also has tried to halt the release of some CDC reports, including delaying a report that addressed how doctors were prescribing hydroxychloroquine, the malaria drug favored by Trump as a coronavirus treatment despite scant evidence. The report, which was held for about a month after Caputo’s team raised questions about its authors’ political leanings, was finally published last week. It said that "the potential benefits of these drugs do not outweigh their risks."
    Caputo also said that HHS was appropriately reviewing the CDC's reports. “Our intention is to make sure that evidence, science-based data drives policy through this pandemic—not ulterior deep state motives in the bowels of CDC," he said.
    Caputo's team has spent months clashing with scientific experts across the administration. Alexander this week tried to muzzle infectious-disease expert Anthony Fauci from speaking about the risks of the coronavirus to children, and The Washington Post reported in July that Alexander had criticized the CDC's methods and findings.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    Trump officials interfered with CDC reports on Covid-19

The politically appointed HHS spokesperson and his team demanded and received the right to review CDC’s scientific reports to health professionals.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...ovid-19-412809
    And I’m sure some twisted defense for this is out there. Add it to the pile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCS/LRRS #83

And the Obama administration used 3/4 of our N95 mask reserve, which was not replaced by that administration or Trump’s. And when Trump reduced their budget, CDC reduced their China staff by 70%. The CDC flip-flopped on guidance for masks. Governors Cuomo and Baker presided over huge die-offs at group homes.

What government entity has done a competent job?

ME, NH and VT have among the lowest case rate and death rate, but low population density. If you remove states with fewer than two million residents, the lowest death rates are:

Oregon
    Utah
    Kansas
    Wisconsin
    Oklahoma
    Kentucky
    Washington
    North Carolina

I’d rather learn what these [quite diverse] states did successfully.

Last edited by Garandman; 09-13-20 at 10:44 AM.

And the Obama administration used 3/4 of our N95 mask reserve, which was not replaced by that administration or Trump’s. And when Trump reduced their budget, CDC reduced their China staff by 70%. The CDC flip-flopped on guidance for masks. Governors Cuomo and Baker presided over huge die-offs at group homes.

ME, NH and VT have among the lowest case rate and death rate, but low population density. If you remove states with fewer than two million residents, the lowest death rates are:

Oregon
    Utah
    Kansas
    Wisconsin
    Oklahoma
    Kentucky
    Washington
    North Carolina

A lot of what they did was benefit from the knowledge gained by having later outbreaks. Which is what we should do and it seems as we are. I'm not shocked in the least that nursing homes killed most of the people. They do that quite efficiently during normal times.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Oregon
    Utah
    Kansas
    Wisconsin
    Oklahoma
    Kentucky
    Washington
    North Carolina

At some point it's personal responsibility, the gubment can only do so much. I honestly think the states that have done better is due largely to the people being cautious.

[/IMG][/URL]

Yeah, we really have to be paying attention to Lessons Learned.

In the 1918 Epidemic the second wave was much worse then the first wave and there was a third wave of infection as well.

Play in an Over 50 hockey league and three of our 11 players are staying home for now.

Last edited by Garandman; 09-13-20 at 04:25 PM.