Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Nervous yet? covid-19

  1. #5701
    Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    5,957

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19


    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    People here be like “get your info or YouTube and google”. Like stfu. You’re not a doctor. You have zero medical background. You don’t know jackshit about pandemics, vaccines, etc either. We all try to do the best we can with what we got and know. Okay maybe not all of us. But some of us.
    That’s why we have doctors and entire medical review boards that review the data and make the call.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    CCS/LRRS #83

  2. #5702

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

    No I didn’t watch that video tbh. And I won’t lol.

    I also wasn’t referring specifically to you beard-dad. You just happened to have the most recent rogan comment.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by tsorfas; 09-29-21 at 09:43 AM.

  3. #5703
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,506

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    If you generally like JRE but are frustrated by Rogan's stupidity, try Lex Fridman instead (who happens to collaborate with Rogan frequently). He started with a narrow scope (AI) but it has become more general futurism.
    he is on my list to listen to...he is a good guest...what i like about rogan is the variety of types of guests...i started from the beginning in order and just skipping any that i didn't think would be interesting...currently i'm on #1556 (oct 28 2020)...so i'm still listening on apple podcasts...he switched to spotify at #1572...he is currently up to #1712...not sure if i will be able to catch up...only listen while commuting and only commuting 3 days a week (86 miles a day ~ 1h 40 mins a day)

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  4. #5704

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    That’s why we have doctors and entire medical review boards that review the data and make the call.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And I get that. And I’m ok with that. But don’t be upset when someone wants more answers or more explanation. Governments and especially this government has lied to people numerous times through history. Doubt is a natural human instinct. Unfortunately the internet has made every fucking idiot feel like a specialist/genius and a lot of shit gets passed on because “conspiracy theorist” umbrella became a tool to dismiss anything people don’t agree with.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #5705
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,506

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

    https://www.instagram.com/tv/CUIas25...dium=copy_link


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  6. #5706
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,821

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    No I didn’t watch that video tbh. And I won’t lol.

    I also wasn’t referring specifically to you beard-dad. You just happened to have the most recent rogan comment.
    For me it’s Rogan’s motives that are the issue here. Clearly he’s setting himself up as an authority on the rugged individualism that’s so vogue these days. It’s Trump playbook stuff; right message, wrong messenger from the perspective of many. I believe that many who support(ed) Trump we’re being honest when they said they weren’t fond of many of the things he said/did, it was the “how” which was appealing. I expect Joe thinks he can capitalize on this playbook from a different angle and he’ll make a bid in ‘28 or ‘32 depending on which way the winds blow. As of now he’s building his base.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  7. #5707
    Super Adventurer SRTie4k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dublin, NH
    Age
    37
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    And I get that. And I’m ok with that. But don’t be upset when someone wants more answers or more explanation. Governments and especially this government has lied to people numerous times through history. Doubt is a natural human instinct. Unfortunately the internet has made every fucking idiot feel like a specialist/genius and a lot of shit gets passed on because “conspiracy theorist” umbrella became a tool to dismiss anything people don’t agree with.
    Doubt and wanting to search out facts is not the problem.

    Treating Facebook/Instagram comments, YouTube videos, dubious websites with zero credibility, and non peer-reviewed studies and literature as factual evidence is the problem. There is a huge problem with lack of adequate education in this country, and not knowing how to properly research is what is currently contributing to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people in this country.

    Anyone here who supports the idea that natural immunity is better than a vaccine is flying in the face of nearly every peer-reviewed scientific fact in existence right now. A small handful of "scientists", "doctors" and "nurses" do not make a scientific consensus, they make anecdotes, and using anecdotes in place of statistical data is illogical and a fallacy.

    8 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

  8. #5708
    Changes come butcher bergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    the humbling river
    Posts
    12,746

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
    https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...rotection.html

    Vaccine offers higher protection than prior infection.

    https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...me-individuals

    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56538983

    Prior infection combined with a mRNA vaccine increases protection. It's basically a booster. Works great.

    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...cines/faq.html Third question down.

    https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavir...eady-had-covid The mayo clinic agrees.

    People with natural immunity should get vaccinated.
    The case study in the first link is based on 246 individuals.

    The third question in the 4th link addresses the safety of vaccines


    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    From the article posted a #5684

    “I don’t think we’re going to reach herd immunity. With the vaccine, the way things are going, I don’t think we’re going to get there,” said Dr. John Haran, as an associate professor at UMass Chan Medical School. “And natural herd immunity is kind of a fairy tale because we’re learning now that people who get infected now just don’t have the same immune response as people who get vaccinated.
    My question had nothing to do at all with herd immunity but I appreciate your efforts just the same.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #5709
    (4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Chelmsford, MA
    Posts
    478

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    And I get that. And I’m ok with that. But don’t be upset when someone wants more answers or more explanation. Governments and especially this government has lied to people numerous times through history. Doubt is a natural human instinct. Unfortunately the internet has made every fucking idiot feel like a specialist/genius and a lot of shit gets passed on because “conspiracy theorist” umbrella became a tool to dismiss anything people don’t agree with.
    I'm going to bring up the FDA's Alzheimer decision here. Mixed messages for days bro

    https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consum...zheimers-cures
    https://www.npr.org/2021/06/11/10055...-drug-approval

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #5710
    Super Adventurer SRTie4k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dublin, NH
    Age
    37
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

  11. #5711

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    That’s great news on efforts on this. Sort of weird though that child pornography, sex trafficking, and many other similar online industries are thriving. They must be harder to track down huh.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  12. #5712
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,821

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

    But whatabbout the homeless veterans?

    3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  13. #5713
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    20,723

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

    Butterymails?

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  14. #5714
    Lifer capitalcrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    1,126

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    That’s great news on efforts on this. Sort of weird though that child pornography, sex trafficking, and many other similar online industries are thriving. They must be harder to track down huh.
    ... is there a lot of child pornography on youtube? I must have missed that podcast.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  15. #5715
    Changes come butcher bergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    the humbling river
    Posts
    12,746

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Anyone here who supports the idea that natural immunity is better than a vaccine is flying in the face of nearly every peer-reviewed scientific fact in existence right now. A small handful of "scientists", "doctors" and "nurses" do not make a scientific consensus, they make anecdotes, and using anecdotes in place of statistical data is illogical and a fallacy.
    There is a link that captialcrew posted from the CDC that did a study on 246 individuals from Kentucky. His statement immediately after the link he posted is "vaccine offers higher protection than prior infection"....a questionable statement at best since the test pool reflects .007% of the American population.

    Based on the information provided, it would suggest that some folks accept the results of .007% of the population and that's good enough to make a decision but making a decision on 4% of nearly 1mil doctors isn't acceptable.

    Also, I don't think anyone here is saying natural immunity is the key. There have been questions about it but then there are folks here who have taken those questions and twisted them into a statement that was never made in the first place. This scenario has happened numerous times just in this thread. Someone asks a question and immediately that person is labeled anti-vaxxer, part of the problem not the solution, drinking the koolaid and on and on.

    There's a certain challenge in having a real conversation when a person's questions are twisted into statements.

    3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  16. #5716
    RelentlessC SteveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,750

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

    The accuracy of the results of a statistical experiment are dependent on the sample size and unrelated to the size of the population from which the sample was drawn.

    A sample size of 246 in a binomial distribution with an assumed 50/50 ratio would yield results with a margin of error of +/- 6% at 95% confidence.

    When you see the oft mentioned 3% margin of error at 95% confidence, the implied sample size is 1,000, regardless of population size.

    6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  17. #5717
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,126,071

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Someone asks a question and immediately that person is labeled anti-vaxxer, part of the problem not the solution, drinking the koolaid and on and on.

    There's a certain challenge in having a real conversation when a person's questions are twisted into statements.
    Happens to me on an almost daily basis. Even though I am indeed vaccinated (for MY OWN reasons), any question I pose immediately labels me as an anti-vaxxer. But when I produce my vax card, I'm a sheep listening to the liberal media. There's no winning.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  18. #5718
    Lifer capitalcrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    1,126

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    There is a link that captialcrew posted from the CDC that did a study on 246 individuals from Kentucky. His statement immediately after the link he posted is "vaccine offers higher protection than prior infection"....a questionable statement at best since the test pool reflects .007% of the American population.

    Based on the information provided, it would suggest that some folks accept the results of .007% of the population and that's good enough to make a decision but making a decision on 4% of nearly 1mil doctors isn't acceptable.

    Also, I don't think anyone here is saying natural immunity is the key. There have been questions about it but then there are folks here who have taken those questions and twisted them into a statement that was never made in the first place. This scenario has happened numerous times just in this thread. Someone asks a question and immediately that person is labeled anti-vaxxer, part of the problem not the solution, drinking the koolaid and on and on.

    There's a certain challenge in having a real conversation when a person's questions are twisted into statements.
    Okay here's one with 100k participants.

    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...93v1.full-text

    Nervous yet? covid-19-f3-jpg

    Looks like prior infection plus an mRNA vaccine is pretty effective. The pfizer one in particular.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  19. #5719
    RelentlessC SteveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,750

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
    Okay here's one with 100k participants.

    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...93v1.full-text

    Nervous yet? covid-19-f3-jpg

    Looks like prior infection plus an mRNA vaccine is pretty effective. The pfizer one in particular.
    I'm all for info supporting the vaccine, but...

    "This article is a preprint and has not been peer-reviewed [what does this mean?]. It reports new medical research that has yet to be evaluated and so should not be used to guide clinical practice."

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  20. #5720
    Lifer capitalcrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    1,126

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    I'm all for info supporting the vaccine, but...

    "This article is a preprint and has not been peer-reviewed [what does this mean?]. It reports new medical research that has yet to be evaluated and so should not be used to guide clinical practice."
    It's just one of the first things that came up. I'm not investing a lot of time in this. The ones on the fence aren't coming down any time soon.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  21. #5721
    Lifer obsolete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norf Sho
    Age
    41
    Posts
    11,478

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Based on the information provided, it would suggest that some folks accept the results of .007% of the population and that's good enough to make a decision but making a decision on 4% of nearly 1mil doctors isn't acceptable.
    That's a really weird way to look at that. You realize that those 4% of doctors are disagreeing with 96% of doctor and that .007% of the population is a data point. That's kind of an apples to oranges but the apple is a pool cue.

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

  22. #5722
    BMW track whore e30addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I93/495
    Age
    45
    Posts
    7,708

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    I'm all for info supporting the vaccine, but...

    "This article is a preprint and has not been peer-reviewed [what does this mean?]. It reports new medical research that has yet to be evaluated and so should not be used to guide clinical practice."
    Simple really. If something isn't peer reviewed but supports your belief, it's now science. If it doesn't, it's fake news until it has been peer reviewed.

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

  23. #5723
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,126,071

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Simple really. If something isn't peer reviewed but supports your belief, it's now science. If it doesn't, it's fake news until it has been peer reviewed.
    I noticed that too. Specifically in this thread.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  24. #5724
    RelentlessC SteveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,750

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Simple really. If something isn't peer reviewed but supports your belief, it's now science. If it doesn't, it's fake news until it has been peer reviewed.
    For some, if it doesn't support your belief it's fake news long after it's been peer reviewed because "conspiracy"

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  25. #5725
    Fast is contagious JettaJayGLS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,364

    Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

    A couple things....

    Steve specifically called him out on it. Steve being someone that I would say is "my side" of things. Sooooo, seems like "we're" keeping a relatively even keel on what is science.

    Jay (Stoneman) I've never bucketed you as an anti-vaxxer, but someone that supports choice and has made the right one. I feel really confident most people here agree with that.

    Lastly, Bergs is being ignorant to facts (in the prior case it was dates/timelines of clinical trials and now it is statistics). I really don't mean it is an insult, but more to point out why you need to trust the peer reviewed experts when you can't understand something, and save your opinion on non-peer reviewed articles when you do in fact understand what they talking about. This is all in the context of science, the pandemic, etc. not articles about day to day, less important stuff.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •