Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst ... 323333435363738394041424344454647484950515253 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1421

Nervous yet? covid-19

Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

NH Democrats are pressuring Gov. Sununu to issue a shelter in place order

I just don't see a need in rural NH where many non essential jobs have the employees isolated anyway

I'd go fer a bike ride, but can't sit down anywhere to have a meal

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

The whole "this isn't an issue where/how I live" sub-theme being repeated over and over again here is pretty short sighted.

4 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    The whole "this isn't an issue where/how I live" sub-theme being repeated over and over again here is pretty short sighted.
    why put someone who works in isolation outs of work, just cause their job is non essential ?, that's one less person that needs an unemployment check

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

My company makes components for the Navy, so we’re deemed an essential business. Being a small company, kind of old-fashioned, and manufacturing-based, we’re really not equipped for anyone to work from home. I’m in outside sales and on the road 50% of the time, and my wife is super paranoid about this especially with the baby and her parents, so I was given the Ok to work from home this week, but I’m the only one.

I just got a text from a colleague that an older guy in our machine shop has been out sick for a few days; he tested positive. Also, He has a niece who works here too, she drives in with him, and she’s a bit of a social butterfly. I’m told the company president told everyone in sales that if anyone doesn’t feel safe they can go home. I guess no one is sure what to do. It went from “business as usual, just wash your hands” to total uncertainty just like that.

0 Not allowed!
    -Matt

Posting Freak

IMO there are two reasons: (1) because there are very few people who are truly isolated, i.e. never in contact with anyone. Therefore, making policy for the outliers doesn't make sense. (2) it has been hard enough to make many people understand just how bad this is, and if you start softening policies then those idiots will take that as tacit approval to go back to their coronavirus parties. We're still weeks away from the worst numbers being known.

3 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    I saw something on twitter today and it reminded some of the comments here, figured I’d share.

“If the roles were reversed and younger people were more likely to die from this our parents and grandparents would absolutely everything and anything to protect us”
    So they got this new fangled thing called global warming they all care about so much....

And they've done a stellar job with the economy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    I just got a text from a colleague that an older guy in our machine shop has been out sick for a few days; he tested positive. Also, He has a niece who works here too, she drives in with him, and she’s a bit of a social butterfly. I’m told the company president told everyone in sales that if anyone doesn’t feel safe they can go home. I guess no one is sure what to do. It went from “business as usual, just wash your hands” to total uncertainty just like that.
    Which is unfortunate, because that's pretty much what the warning has been the whole time. It went as was feared. "That problem is over there, not here. No big deal. Oh wait, it's here too? Now what? Too late? Fuck, let's blame China"

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Which is unfortunate, because that's pretty much what the warning has been the whole time. It went as was feared. "That problem is over there, not here. No big deal. Oh wait, it's here too? Now what? Too late? Fuck, let's blame China"
    There is a large percentage of people who go through life strongly supporting things in theory, but their tone changes immediately once it touches them personally.

See:
    Unemployment/low income benefits
    Police action
    "feelings"
    Gun violence
    Abortion
    Government bail outs
    Unions/workers rights
    Government regulation
    etc etc etc

I've written all that off with lack of empathy and being grown up with entitlement which leads to audacious behavior.

They literally cannot imagine being on the other side of the equation.

They don't need imagination once reality hits.

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    NH Democrats are pressuring Gov. Sununu to issue a shelter in place order

I just don't see a need in rural NH where many non essential jobs have the employees isolated anyway

I'd go fer a bike ride, but can't sit down anywhere to have a meal
    The shelter in place is a bunch of BS anyway. Since Mass ordered the shelter in place but issued the "essential" title, I've seen more cars on the road than the prior week. It seems as soon as people were told they were essential, "well, gotta go in..." I don't know of anyone that is home right now because they are non-essential.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Posting Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    The shelter in place is a bunch of BS anyway. Since Mass ordered the shelter in place but issued the "essential" title, I've seen more cars on the road than the prior week. It seems as soon as people were told they were essential, "well, gotta go in..." I don't know of anyone that is home right now because they are non-essential.
    That's simply not true, at least in Boston. My "essential" wife's daily commute has gone from 45 minutes to 15 because there are so few cars on the roads, and she works in the Longwood area, where many hospitals are located. My company, that has roughly 1,000 employees downtown, has a skeleton crew of 20 operating.

2 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Bonk!; 03-26-20 at 12:34 PM.

Everybody to the limit!

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    MA has not issued a shelter in place order.

1 Not allowed!

“Advisory”

0 Not allowed!

the industry I am in, and associated industries, surveying, environmental science, forestry.... we work days on end without seeing another person, inside work, is easily done from home, I've been setup for remote office work for years. the field work however requires going to the site, but does not require ant interaction with others, when I do need a helper, the only time we would be closer than 6 feet would be the drive to the jobsite IF we went in the same vehicle

I suppose if I was working on a failed septic system, it would be deemed essential, but what about my work in general ?

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

the industry I am in, and associated industries, surveying, environmental science, forestry.... we work days on end without seeing another person, inside work, is easily done from home, I've been setup for remote office work for years. the field work however requires going to the site, but does not require ant interaction with others, when I do need a helper, the only time we would be closer than 6 feet would be the drive to the jobsite IF we went in the same vehicle

I suppose if I was working on a failed septic system, it would be deemed essential, but what about my work in general ?
    It doesn't seem very hard to get yourself on the essential list. Just the possibility of doing septic would should get you a document to travel. Not that that's required at this point.

0 Not allowed!

interesting observations today, I went to post office (I get my mail via PO box) then CVS to pickup a scrip. went thru drive thru, then a quick stop a Hannafords

coming out of the PO, I had to wait for a procession of typical Farmington residents, youn 20s guy pushing baby carriage, woman in50s no teeth woman in 30s still had a few teeth, and younger woman maybe 20, but more likely a 17 year old mother of the baby in the carriage. Took them a while to get across the intersection, they were walking slow, diamond shaped formation, but keeping their minimum 6ft "social separation"

At Hannafords, walking into the store at the same time I was grabbing a basket, was a man who appeared to be the father in his 40s, well dressed, clean appearance with 3 teenage girls approx age 11-15, also very clean appearance. NO social distancing, touching everything in sight, clogging up the aisles, acting like kids in the 5-8 year old range, no grocery cart... not sure what they went in to get, or why the whole family had to go in the store

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    It doesn't seem very hard to get yourself on the essential list. Just the possibility of doing septic would should get you a document to travel. Not that that's required at this point.
    a replacement for failed system is one thing, how bout new construction, surveying for a developer, or joe homeowner that just wants to put a fence up, or the forester out marking trees

imho EVERY job is essential, just for it's contribution to the economy, even Walmart greeters

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

a replacement for failed system is one thing, how bout new construction, surveying for a developer, or joe homeowner that just wants to put a fence up, or the forester out marking trees

imho EVERY job is essential, just for it's contribution to the economy, even Walmart greeters
    I do agree the shelter in place doesn't make sense for everywhere. Me leaving my house to go for a ride, I don't come into contact with anyone. Living in a city, to leave your apartment, you could be interacting with 10's of people. Businesses that need many people in close proximity (Walmart greeter for instance), shouldn't be working.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

I know MA allows what you're talking about. Does NH not have similar?

If I work outside and can socially distance, can I keep running my business even if it isn’t essential? YES in some circumstances (see below)
    If the service a business provides is not on the essential services list, that business must cease all in-person activities at its bricks-and-mortar facilities. These non-essential businesses are encouraged to work remotely. Businesses that do work remotely, whether as part of their normal activities or as a result of this order, must maintain social distancing requirements: six feet of separation between all employees, and between employees and members of the public.
    Source : https://www.mass.gov/info-details/co...-services-faqs

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    I do agree the shelter in place doesn't make sense for everywhere. Me leaving my house to go for a ride, I don't come into contact with anyone. Living in a city, to leave your apartment, you could be interacting with 10's of people. Businesses that need many people in close proximity (Walmart greeter for instance), shouldn't be working.
    Did CT say you can't do that? MA has no restriction on going outside for something like exercise if you can follow the guidelines about social distancing. In other words, a walk in the park alone is still perfectly fine.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Yeah, that bit is spreading like wildfire. My business has hope though, the printing industry is considered essential.

1 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Did CT say you can't do that? MA has no restriction on going outside for something like exercise if you can follow the guidelines about social distancing. In other words, a walk in the park alone is still perfectly fine.
    They have not said that, at all. Just commenting on the "shelter in place talk". Not sure what states/areas are dealing with that.

0 Not allowed!

Everyone is focused on the virus, meanwhile the economy is taking a fat dump. We are seeing loads of projects going on hold or outright cancelled due to funding issues in the commercial construction market, steel mills are making cuts to production (always fun when the market eventually comes back), unemployment is gaining steam, and the average American is grossly unprepared to weather even the shortest of financial storms. Max unemployment benefit in AZ is $240/wk. The real pain is yet to come.

1 Not allowed!

Lifer

NH stay at home order til 5/4

0 Not allowed!

So things have been somewhat weird for our household lately. We are clearly not alone. And probably less effected than others.
    But I have not had a chance to look at our taxes yet. And then I read the Feds pushed the deadline out considering the situation.

And now I realize states have not. Totally defeats the purpose. I basically have to have my fed tax more or less done in order to do my state returns.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    NH stay at home order til 5/4
    It is NOT a "shelter in place" however.

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    It is NOT a "shelter in place" however.
    CorrectNervous yet? covid-19-b5d3079f-f656-48b6-a597-5b9e46addf9f

0 Not allowed!