Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 45 of 85 FirstFirst ... 52535363738394041424344454647484950515253545565 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 2116

Nervous yet? covid-19

Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    @56/day it looks like I'll be "investing" in a new tool. This is the first room of a whole home renovation, on sale for $429 @ HD
    Is that the Porter Cable 7800? I used one in my basement, it’s awesome. Totally worth it. Bought one refurbed on eBay for $370ish, I sold it when I was done for $300. Buy the bags for your shop vac (I had to Craigslist a shop vac since my old one couldn’t use the bags.) The sanding pads can be bought in the rental section at HD for like a buck each.

Also definitely buy a drywall lift if you have to do ceilings. Think I bought one on amazon for $150 and had a ton of interest when I listed it for sale for $100.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Matt

We're seeing an influx of out of state plates around us. Presumably inconsiderate dickheads fleeing their harder hit areas and starting their vacations early. Way to contain the spread. I think we're going to see a big jump in infected cases after the weekend.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    We're seeing an influx of out of state plates around us. Presumably inconsiderate dickheads fleeing their harder hit areas and starting their vacations early. Way to contain the spread. I think we're going to see a big jump in infected cases after the weekend.
    you wanna go cut a couple huge maple trees tomorrow (supposed to rain on sunday) I'm taking my chain tires off this afternoon

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

On the flipside, the team reallllly wanted to do the drainage system in my basement. I emailed them a couple weeks ago saying I might need to postpone because of current events. The kicker was that my tenants are were planning to be on vacation that week in Europe, but it go cancelled. They were WFH so 1) couldn't have people jack hammering while they are on calls and 2) couldn't have strangers in and out of the house all day while they're home with the virus going around. The company was very respectfully, but clearly wanted to do the job - I'm guessing they're getting cancellations left and right.

Thankfully my tenants vacationed at their cabin in NH instead, so everything went ahead and the contractors were happy. I was supposed to fly home yesterday for a walk through...nope. They sent some pictures, swiped my credit card, and that's it.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

They FINALLY shut down some parks in Marin. I have a normal cycling loop I do just about everyday that goes up Hawk Hill (the winding hill right across the GG bridge) and then loops around the backside into a valley and down to Rodeo beach (pronounced rodeo like the horse/bull event, not that bull shit LA street). Its one of the few hot surfing spots and is absolutely beautiful. It also has NEVER been so packed as the past couple of weeks. Talking full parking lots, surfers feet apart from one another, people everywhere. Yesterday was the first day they shut it down. They also closed the gate to the top half of Hawk Hill from the rotary up.

Hopefully at the end of this thing people have realized how nice the outdoors are. Probably 100% increase in traffic at local parks because of the shelter in place order. Our biggest debate now is whether or not we go ski touring at Tahoe over the weekends. So far we haven't done it. The big argument against it seems to be they don't want to spend resources on rescues/injuries. We think its a bit more directed to folks that have no idea what they're doing vs the more seasoned folk. For example, our two friends (our tenants actually) rescued 3 people hiking Lafayette last week while on their vacation in NH. One of them was sliding down the ice BARE ASS because their JEANS ripped completely and they were so frozen they had no clue. Friends found her by her trail of ass blood. They admittedly were out there because "they had nothing else to do" and googled it.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    There is a large percentage of people who go through life strongly supporting things in theory, but their tone changes immediately once it touches them personally.

See:
    Unemployment/low income benefits
    Police action
    "feelings"
    Gun violence
    Abortion
    Government bail outs
    Unions/workers rights
    Government regulation
    etc etc etc

I've written all that off with lack of empathy and being grown up with entitlement which leads to audacious behavior.

They literally cannot imagine being on the other side of the equation.

They don't need imagination once reality hits.
    Just realized a perfect real world example of this. We all know a person who would say something along these lines.

*California family has their home destroyed in a fire*
    "Those idiots shouldn't have lived in a high risk natural disaster area. Fuck em"

*has his Florida destroyed by a hurricane*
    "You don't UNDERSTAND, everything I own is gone, I need help, this is no time for jokes or criticism!"

Maybe I'm the one who lacks imagination, because I cannot imagine how these people exist with 0 empathy and 0 sympathy.

Many years in retail back in the day were a culture shock to the existence of these people and how they act and think and treat others around them.

Everybody elses problem is everybody elses problem, but their problem is the most important on the planet.

Last edited by Vovchandr; 03-27-20 at 11:47 AM.

Lifer

~2 days ago it looked like the daily new cases in US was starting to wain, but the past two days have negated that. There's a weird dip on Mar-21, as things were rapidly becoming more serious. I wonder if this is just people who waited an extra couple days before going to get tested?

02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    Just realized a perfect real world example of this. We all know a person who would say something along these lines.

*California family has their home destroyed in a fire*
    "Those idiots shouldn't have lived in a high risk natural disaster area. Fuck em"

*has his Florida destroyed by a hurricane*
    "You don't UNDERSTAND, everything I own is gone, I need help, this is no time for jokes or criticism!"

Maybe I'm the one who lacks imagination, because I cannot imagine how these people exist with 0 empathy and 0 sympathy.

Many years in retails back in the day were a culture shock to the existence of these people and how they act and think and treat others around them.

Everybody elses problem is everybody elses problem, but their problem is the most important on the planet.
    You just Nailed it with how the fed. and along with it Trump has acted toward this crisis!

Bout sums up the Trump virus...

Nervous yet? covid-19-9ba0215f-303d-49ed-b460-67d27741ae9e

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    you wanna go cut a couple huge maple trees tomorrow (supposed to rain on sunday) I'm taking my chain tires off this afternoon
    You really should be keeping your circle as small as humanly possible, with all your pre-existing conditions and whatnot.
    Any of us humans could be carrying this thing around for 10-14 days without a clue.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Facilities manager at the office building I normally work at is now insisting that anyone that tests positive for covid inform him "immediately".
    Yeah dude. You are my first call!

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    It's a shitty situation but to think of someone dying because of selfish people passing the virus on is not something I want to be responsible for.
    completely understand and fully agree with your view and decision. props for standing your ground and doing the right thing.

my post sounded pretty dicky, it wasn't meant to be at all, we are not rich snobs yelling at anyone. there is a lot more to the story before any of the virus concerns really hit, which is where the frustration comes from. our talk was needed and it helped all parties, i just hated to have it ... we are in a rural location supporting smaller, local co's that we know want the work ... but as a business owner, i'm one myself, you have a responsibility to be up-front with your clients, like you did. that wasn't happening here and it needed to be fixed.

all of our work on this project is exterior, the crew is small, and we all make sure to check on comfort level and health. i think it's good to keep people working as long as everyone is healthy and taking precautions, the environment is safe, and they have the desire.

no test results back for the owner yet but he's feeling better today, was happy to hear that ... haven't heard if the other two have been tested yet but will ask when we connect tonight.

Beta 200RR

Is he not responsible for the building safety and cleanliness? I know a few people in facilities and they are on the mandated notification list just for those purposes.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    You really should be keeping your circle as small as humanly possible, with all your pre-existing conditions and whatnot.
    Any of us humans could be carrying this thing around for 10-14 days without a clue.
    cutting firewood with Jay is not going to increase my circle, or risk

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    Is that the Porter Cable 7800? I used one in my basement, it’s awesome. Totally worth it. Bought one refurbed on eBay for $370ish, I sold it when I was done for $300. Buy the bags for your shop vac (I had to Craigslist a shop vac since my old one couldn’t use the bags.) The sanding pads can be bought in the rental section at HD for like a buck each.

Also definitely buy a drywall lift if you have to do ceilings. Think I bought one on amazon for $150 and had a ton of interest when I listed it for sale for $100.
    Yep that's the one, found a guy on Marketplace with one for sale new (stolen) for $325. He's got a used tool sale going on in his garage in N. Kingstown RI. I was going to buy from HD but they're not in stock in any store within 100 mi. I'm tempted to go down and get it....hour round trip, chance of coronavirus...haven't decided yet but it's a great deal.

I have a nice Fein vacuum I've had for a while I use with my saws, it'll fit the bill for drywall dust as well. I only had 2 panels to hang on my bathroom ceiling so I just built a deadman out of some dimensional lumber, but I'll definitely get a lift for when I do larger rooms.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Bout sums up the Trump virus...

Nervous yet? covid-19-9ba0215f-303d-49ed-b460-67d27741ae9e
    Sad just sad

[/IMG][/URL]

The FDA has also banned "home tests" so even if you want to pay for it, you can't get tested.

It's completely irrational.
    It's like having software developers not instrument their code.
    It'll be easier to guess at where the problems are.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    In nh they won’t test you for covid unless you are a health care worker, live with one, or can prove you were infected.
    Testing is an additional cost, takes time from the staff, and brings another human down to the hospital.
    They tell you to go home and quarantine for fourteen days and go to the hospital .. if you can’t breath. Which I would imagine is too late.
    They don't have magic healing powers. What do you expect them to do for you if you're showing flu-like symptoms but can otherwise breath and continue living life? You self-quarantine unless you show serious symptoms because there's nothing they can do for you. You're taking up space, wasting people's time, and exposing others.
    And apparently there’s some drug that they will only give you if you are on your death bed?!?
    Probably because it is high risk and/or unproven, so it's only a good option when you're about to die. They do the same thing for cancer in some circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    The FDA has also banned "home tests" so even if you want to pay for it, you can't get tested.
    Is the issue that the home-test may not be properly administered and controlled, leading to a lot of false confidence in a test result that was essentially invalid data?

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by aldend123; 03-27-20 at 06:44 PM.
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

It's because we don't have enough tests, even weeks in.

Look at Germany. They have this WELL under control. Why? Because they reacted properly when this virus started gaining ground in China and developed/mass produced their own test to be able to cover their population.

You can't fight a fire if you don't know where it is.

The response from the US government was disastrous.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Is the issue that the home-test may not be properly administered and controlled, leading to a lot of false confidence in a test result that was essentially invalid data?
    How would we go about figuring out the problems?
    If a specific test has false positives how do we test that?
    If a specific test has false negatives how do we test that?
    If there's a problem with how the test is being administered how do we figure that out?

Testing, would be an option. Or we could just ban everything.

There's plenty of documentation to indicate that there are already plenty of false negatives from the CDC test. Should we ban the CDC test?

We're not testing. We're arguing that we shouldn't be testing, mostly because we can't support the level of testing that we need.

There is also a possibility that someone might come up with a better test than the CDC has come up with at this point, but if you ban the tests, you are just going to guarantee that it doesn't get developed and tested.

Nah dude, it’s just weak ass bitches overreacting and WASTING other people’s time. Just ask aldend123, he has all the answers.

Divert all covid-19 questions and concerns to aldend123. How lucky we are to have such an expert.

Abbott is working on a test that can detect is in as little as five minutes
    its about three weeks to late!

His response wasn't off base. He was accurate.

Tempers are running high. Relax man. No need to be mean to someone spelling out the situation. He isn't the cause of the lack of kits.

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Even with the lack of testing if NY was a country it d be #6 globally about 5k away from Germany.

The rumor in my circle is that over 90% of the people who have died from Covid-19 are married men over the age of 55.

Volunteers.....

(I'll be here all week, tip your waitress).