Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 46 of 85 FirstFirst ... 62636373839404142434445464748495051525354555666 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 2116

Nervous yet? covid-19

Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    It's because we don't have enough tests, even weeks in.

Look at Germany. They have this WELL under control. Why? Because they reacted properly when this virus started gaining ground in China and developed/mass produced their own test to be able to cover their population.

You can't fight a fire if you don't know where it is.

The response from the US government was disastrous.

Huh? According to the link below Germany had 6933 new cases today and 607 cases per million by population. The U.S. is currently at 310 cases per million population (but should be snowballing shortly if all indications are correct). We're still far behind countries like Italy, Spain and Switzerland with 14xx cases per million.

I don't drool over numbers hourly like some seem to do here, but Germany with double the cases by population when they started corrective action earlier doesn't seem that great and the U.S. still is way under the numbers other countries are experiencing by population. What am I missing, other then everyone here hates Trump and wants to blame him for everything? We don't seem to be significantly different then a lot of the rest of the world?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    In nh they wonít test you for covid unless you are a health care worker, live with one, or can prove you were infected.

They tell you to go home and quarantine for fourteen days and go to the hospital .. if you canít breath. Which I would imagine is too late.

In MASS you canít get tested unless you have more than two symptoms.

And apparently thereís some drug that they will only give you if you are on your death bed?!?
    yup, went to doctors today for unrelated issue, they had limited staff, most appointments cancelled.
    screened me with questions, I was not required to wear a mask. Doc told me that they can't do tests, if someone has symptoms, they are sent to emergency room @ Frisbee, where they are screened again, and most likely sent home under quarantine, and not tested, ya gotta be pretty bad off to the point you're probably going to be admitted, if you qualify for a test

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

In nh they wonít test you for covid unless you are a health care worker, live with one, or can prove you were infected.
    This is not accurate. Those may be some of the circumstances that you get tested in. Or it may be the case in some parts of NH. Or something. But there are other conditions where people in NH are being tested.

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Nah dude, itís just weak ass bitches overreacting and WASTING other peopleís time.
    Wound tighter than a spring. I didn't say, imply, or even think to myself 'weak ass bitches overreacting'.

I guess my use of 'wasting time' wasn't polite enough for you, but do you get the point that medical staff are already over-tasked?

If you want an authoritative source, the CDC says essentially the same thing. They aren't using explicit phrasing like 'do not go to the ER', but if you follow their guidelines, you'll see the only time they suggest going to the ER is if you have emergency symptoms.
    Since when does the medical industry not want to administer a test, usually unnecessary and bend you over on the charge!
    Since always. I know our health care system is completely fucked, but the actual clinical staff have always had situations in which they thought the appropriate response was not to perform a test or procedure. Sometimes it's for an infectious disease, sometimes it's for efficiency, sometimes it's because there are risks in anything and the risks out weigh the benefit. For example, a patient might beg a doctor to give them antibiotics for something they both agree is a bacterial infection, and the doctor may think the best action is to wait a little longer to see if the body can handle it.
    Same dude busting my balls for trying to get an -extra- thermometer so I can stay on top of symptoms from home.
    Don't forget the context - you felt bad for the elderly and desperate out trying to shop, while lamenting that 3 stores were out of stock, and you implied you already had a thermometer. You followed up saying you didn't trust the readings on yours, and I let it go. Even though you also said you wanted a separate one for the wife, which kinda contradicts that the current one in the household didn't work. I only said one word in my reply because I wasn't sure if you realized what you were saying.

We're all on the receiving end of a poorly understood and rapidly evolving shitty time. In the future, instead of getting pissed, feel free to break down my response if you think it's wrong.

02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Huh? According to the link below Germany had 6933 new cases today and 607 cases per million by population. The U.S. is currently at 310 cases per million population (but should be snowballing shortly if all indications are correct). We're still far behind countries like Italy, Spain and Switzerland with 14xx cases per million.

I don't drool over numbers hourly like some seem to do here, but Germany with double the cases by population when they started corrective action earlier doesn't seem that great and the U.S. still is way under the numbers other countries are experiencing by population. What am I missing, other then everyone here hates Trump and wants to blame him for everything? We don't seem to be significantly different then a lot of the rest of the world?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    And what is the current death rate in Germany?

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    How would we go about figuring out the problems?
    If a specific test has false positives how do we test that?
    If a specific test has false negatives how do we test that?
    If there's a problem with how the test is being administered how do we figure that out?

Testing, would be an option. Or we could just ban everything.

There's plenty of documentation to indicate that there are already plenty of false negatives from the CDC test. Should we ban the CDC test?

We're not testing. We're arguing that we shouldn't be testing, mostly because we can't support the level of testing that we need.

There is also a possibility that someone might come up with a better test than the CDC has come up with at this point, but if you ban the tests, you are just going to guarantee that it doesn't get developed and tested.
    Your response seems like it blurs the line between home-testing an test administered by professional. I agree that banning all testing seems a heavy handed, but open to there possibly being a reason. If there's a scenario where we can reliably test without burdening our existing infrastructure, I'm all for it.

If there is essentially no way for a home-user to fuck it up, then that would seem strange to ban it. I asked what I did because I'm assuming there's factors a home-user may not account for in order to get a reliable test.

You're familiar with Theranos, right? I know it's not apples to apples comparison, but it's a demonstration in why allowing people to 'innovate' on their own with the general public directly has risk.

02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

No fuck him, he already tried to punk me when IIIIIIII was trying to be responsible and prepared.... our country looks like a freaking joke through all this, but yeah, some legend on a motorcycle forum knows it all.
    Kingcast, is that you?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    And what is the current death rate in Germany?
    According to the link it's almost the same as the U.S. The difference is 1 per million.

Both countries are also far below a lot of others. The U.S. is roughly a third of the U.K. and we're still well below Italy, Spain and France.

Time will tell were we fall in the next few weeks, but it doesn't look like the sky is falling worse in the U.S. relatively speaking.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 03-27-20 at 09:45 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

According to someone else who has first hand experience and I trust more than you, it is accurate.

But I’ll just shut my mouth for all the legends on this site.

Let me know when I can fill your water glasses.
    completely independently, my doc told me the exact same info

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    In the future, instead of getting pissed, feel free to break down my response if you think it's wrong.
    Well there ya go.......
    Nervous yet? covid-19-meang2-jpg
    well said
    In the future, fuck yourself.

In the future, fuck yourself.
    Weak sauce.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I liked this thread a lot better when it was people sharing info on this crisis instead of just pissing into each others teacups.

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Expanded unemployment to self employed peoples, so my wife, who's salon is shut down for a month, can collect.

I wouldn't trust data from other countries. I had a brief stint (2 years) as an analyst at a medical device company. My role was running data for clinical trials all around the world. I was involved with studies in the US, EU, and Japan. EU data SUCKS. Japan and the US are very good. A lot of people believe the US healthcare is terrible but the FDA actually has their shit together. After working with them directly I can assure you of that.

We had devices going to trial in the US that were commercial in the EU for years yet the FDA refused the European data and insisted we treat them as new devices. The reason behind this is because the FDA knows damn well that the EU is shady when it comes to data. I experienced it first hand as a big part of my job was working with the clinical sites on data collection.

With all of that being said, I wouldn't dwell too much on the numbers coming out of the EU (or China but that's another story). The US always comes out on the bottom because are more effective and honest with our data. In the end, I would rather be here because in these cases the numbers aren't always reflecting the true reality of the situation.

On top of all of that, you have to remember we are a large country compared to Germany and Italy so it's a lot harder to implement the proper measures.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    Expanded unemployment to self employed peoples, so my wife, who's salon is shut down for a month, can collect.
    Sounds great in theory, but considering no states are really set up for 1099 employee claims I wonder how long it will be before checks are actually sent.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Sounds great in theory, but considering no states are really set up for 1099 employee claims I wonder how long it will be before checks are actually sent.
    No clue but the ct unemployment website was already updated this morning. Filled out the forms with their updated instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by oVTo View Post
    I liked this thread a lot better when it was people sharing info on this crisis instead of just pissing into each others teacups.
    speaking of teacups, I can't find orange pekoe anywhere, only black tea or green tea, only place I have found it is online, from Canada, what's up with that, I don't drink a ton of tea, and used my last orange pekoe teabag a week or so ago. This doesn't seem to be shortage due to virus, there is plenty of teas, aisles don't seem to be empty..... no orange pekoe, I like Red Rose, but didn't see it in any other brands either

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    No clue but the ct unemployment website was already updated this morning. Filled out the forms with their updated instructions.
    Nice. MA still wasn't from what I saw yesterday.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Partial press release from Abbott:

ABBOTT PARK, Ill., March 27, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Abbott (NYSE: ABT) announced today that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for the fastest available molecular point-of-care test for the detection of novel coronavirus (COVID-19), delivering positive results in as little as five minutes and negative results in 13 minutes. The test will run on the company's ID NOW™ platform, providing rapid results in a wide range of healthcare settings such as physicians' offices, urgent care clinics and hospital emergency departments.

2013 ZX6R-636

Wow. That is one hell of a stretch in testing from 2 weeks ago. I guess once you know what to look for... nice to see some good news at any rate.

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything."

That is the golden ticket everyone was looking for. Instead of a giant general purpose PCR system you can use this little gizmo that I think many doctors already have -- this is the machine they use to identify flu and strep throat, I think you just need to put different chemicals in it. I wonder when they started working on it.

I'm guessing some champagne and cigars have been recently consumed in Abbott's corporate offices. They need to farm out the manufacturing of the test kits to everyone, and I mean

Last edited by joeswamp; 03-28-20 at 10:23 AM.
    Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

They can churn those tests out in bulk? I honestly believe that's the key to solving this. Or at least getting people back out in public; testing everyone.
    In our experience current testing took over a week. For all I know some calculus was applied and the test was tracked as a lower priority due to only having some of the symptoms and not really having an exposure vector. But if the turnaround is 1 week for most... that just sucks.

Not sure if I mentioned it here. But the NH National Guard has been mobilized and taken over one of the athletic buildings at UNH in Durham. They have it set up as a "surge" facility. My understanding is there are no patients there at this point.

Rhode Island national guard is going door to door to tell recent arrivals from ny to self quarantine for 14 days.

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Your response seems like it blurs the line between home-testing an test administered by professional. I agree that banning all testing seems a heavy handed, but open to there possibly being a reason. If there's a scenario where we can reliably test without burdening our existing infrastructure, I'm all for it.

If there is essentially no way for a home-user to fuck it up, then that would seem strange to ban it. I asked what I did because I'm assuming there's factors a home-user may not account for in order to get a reliable test.

You're familiar with Theranos, right? I know it's not apples to apples comparison, but it's a demonstration in why allowing people to 'innovate' on their own with the general public directly has risk.
    My response blurs the line between the 2 as it will be completely impossible for "professionals" to do all of the testing that we actually need to do.
    Getting enough people in contact with medical staff to test at the levels we should be testing would mean millions of more people exposed than is necessary.
    It doesn't scale. It doesn't scale by orders of magnitude that it needs to scale.
    We're currently flattening the testing curve, which is the exact opposite of what we should be doing.
    The professionally administered test is know to show false negatives. By your argument those should also be stopped if they aren't "reliable".

I don't understand the focus on testing at this point. Hasn't the horse already left the barn? If medical armegeddon is coming shouldn't the focus be on staffing and supplies etc.... testing seems like it should be really far down the triage tree at this point. Gathering data from hospitals after the fact should give us a better idea numbers wise.

Testing after the economy was shut down seems a little late at this point. The only advantage seems to be isolating carriers to contain spread. If one is to believe the news it's already too late and we're just waiting to see how bad it's gonna get.

There's probably a slight advantage in knowing ahead of time so everything gets back to normal a little quicker, but my guess is that at this stage, we're better off focusing on the medical recovery then the incremental gains in getting things back to normal slightly faster economically speaking. Testing focus seems like a waste of resources right now.

Last edited by e30addict; 03-28-20 at 10:54 AM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC