Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 54 of 85 FirstFirst ... 143444454647484950515253545556575859606162636474 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 2116

Nervous yet? covid-19

Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

Can't figure out how to export an Excel spreadsheet to a forum message. So in the meantime, here is the case percentage by Massachusetts county. FWIW MA death rate is about two thirds of the overall rate nationally.

County Case %
    Suffolk 0.24%
    Berkshire 0.17%
    Norfolk 0.13%
    Essex 0.13%
    Barnstable 0.13%
    Plymouth 0.12%
    Franklin 0.12%
    Middlesex 0.12%
    Hampden 0.12%
    Worcester 0.08%
    Bristol 0.08%
    Nantucket 0.06%
    Dukes 0.03%

And for reference:

CT 0.10%
    ME 0.03%
    NH 0.04%
    RI 0.06%
    VT 0.05%

NY 0.43%

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 04-03-20 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Whaaat! Bacon, egg and cheese on a burger is amazing!!
    We agree.
    Bigger up's if everything is slightly seasoned Portuguese style.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    We agree.
    Bigger up's if everything is slightly seasoned Portuguese style.
    Linguiça on a burger in place of or in addition to bacon is awesome!

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Grossest fuckin' thing I've ever eaten. I love me some cheeseburger, and I love my eggs. The two just don't fuckin' go together!

Ordered up a burger at some swank outdoor Manhattan eatery a few years ago. Not only was it $20, but they topped it with a fried egg. What the fuck is THAT?!?
    It's actually a good combination, if prepared correctly. That being said, NYC is one of least impressive places to eat that I have visited...well Finland was kinda bland... but at least came with a reasonable price.
    You'd like to think with higher cost, comes higher quality foods and better service, not the case in NYC

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Berkshire 0.17%
    My family is out in the Berkshires. The big problem right now are all the NY second homers fleeing the city and skewing the numbers.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Everywhere I've eaten in England has set a new low-bar for me. Most of that country doesn't seem to understand flavor. (Source: I married an English girl who is "sensitive" to onions and garlic.)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    My family is out in the Berkshires. The big problem right now are all the NY second homers fleeing the city and skewing the numbers.
    Yup, life on a small NH lake too. LOTS of MA & NY plates popping up with the occasional CT. I'm cool with it if they're coming up for their summer getaways early & all. I'm just hoping they're stocking up for a 2-week self-quarantine BEFORE they head our way.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    That being said, NYC is one of least impressive places to eat that I have visited...well Finland was kinda bland... but at least came with a reasonable price.
    Utah takes first prize in the U.S. for bland.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Whaaat! Bacon, egg and cheese on a burger is amazing!!
    Breakfast burger, mmmmmmm....

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Everywhere I've eaten in England has set a new low-bar for me. Most of that country doesn't seem to understand flavor. (Source: I married an English girl who is "sensitive" to onions and garlic.)
    The national food is Indian or Thai. It's great. Oh, you mean old English. Other than the breakfast, I'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    It's a worldwide phenomena, having occurred in France, Italy and Spain weeks ago. The NYT and BG reported private jets landing on Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard and buying out the grocery stores. Block Island, RI is forcing anyone coming out to self-quarantine for two weeks. RI is stopping out-of-state cars at the border, though I don't think they have the authority to stop someone headed for their own property.

I see the other side, too. Those vacation destinations very happily take the tax revenue from those vacation homes, and those owners don't put their kids in local schools. The vacationers spend money at local merchants. It's not reasonable to expect that to be one way. Those NY'ers are doing what they think is best for their families, and even though I dislike almost everything about NY, we'd probably do the same thing in their shoes.

https://www.berkshireeagle.com/stori...rantine,600766

Dr. Deborah L. Birx, the White House's coronavirus response coordinator, indicated that the health authorities were now treating the New York City region as a coronavirus hot zone, akin to areas of China and Europe overwhelmed by the virus.

Birx said that about 60 percent of all the new cases in the United States were in the New York City metropolitan area, adding that a surge in cases on Long Island showed that people leaving the city were spreading the virus.

"Everybody who was in New York should be self-quarantining for the next 14 days to ensure that the virus doesn't spread to others no matter where they have gone, whether it's Florida, North Carolina or out to far reaches of Long Island," she said.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 04-03-20 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    It's a worldwide phenomena, having occurred in France, Italy and Spain weeks ago. The NYT and BG reported private jets landing on Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard and buying out the grocery stores. Block Island, RI is forcing anyone coming out to self-quarantine for two weeks. RI is stopping out-of-state cars at the border, though I don't think they have the authority to stop someone headed for their own property.

I see the other side, too. Those vacation destinations very happily take the tax revenue from those vacation homes, and those owners don't put their kids in local schools. The vacationers spend money at local merchants. It's not reasonable to expect that to be one way. Those NY'ers are doing what they think is best for their families, and even though I dislike almost everything about NY, we'd probably do the same thing in their shoes.
    I don't have any issue with it. But as I said, they should head straight to their destination and self-quarantine for at least two weeks. That means bring what you're going to need, no stopping for gas (it can be done), no stopping at the grocery store or convenience stores. Get to where you're going, do your quarantine, then join us.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I've been wondering re: the RI traffic stops. They are stopping people and doing exactly what? A stern talking to? What a waste of time!?!
    Or are they detaining people? If so.. that's some bullshit right there.

I've been wondering re: the RI traffic stops. They are stopping people and doing exactly what? A stern talking to? What a waste of time!?!

I think the states that are doing this are walking right up to that fine line of trampling rights. My understanding is that they are stopping people and demanding to know where they are going and advising them to self quarantine for two weeks. They now have the address info to follow up and target out of staters and sanction them for not following guidelines. Highly questionable, unethical in my eyes, but most likely still technically legal and will survive legal challenges.

I do wonder what would happen if someone pushed back with the "am I being detained or am I free to go" line.....

2012 Tiger 800 XC

According to this article, any out-of-staters are being told to self-quarantine for two weeks.

https://www.local10.com/news/2020/03...g-new-yorkers/

WESTERLY – The Rhode Island National Guard started going door to door on Saturday in coastal areas to inform any New Yorkers who may have come to the state that they must self-quarantine for 14 days while Gov. Gina Raimondo expanded the mandatory self-quarantine to anyone visiting the state.
    And an example of the NY state of mind that so many find annoying:

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo called the order "reactionary" and unconstitutional, saying he'd sue Rhode Island if the policy isn't rescinded but believed they could "work it out."...I understand the goal ... but there’s a point of absurdity, and I think what Rhode Island did is at that point of absurdity," said Cuomo, a Democrat. “We have to keep the ideas and the policies we implement positive rather than reactionary and emotional.”
    This seems to be a worldwide standard. The young Japanese woman who stayed with us had her flight delayed, and as a result missed the cutoff for returning citizens. She was sent to a hotel for two weeks. Her parents can drop off food but can't visit.

Last edited by Garandman; 04-03-20 at 11:30 AM.

Just got an email from our condo association in Maine, same message, we can’t tell you not to come up, but if you do the state mandates 14 day quarantine.

I’ve been going up every other weekend. I never stop on either drive, I bring all my groceries from home and don’t leave the unit except to walk around the parking lot.

I get things done that need doing in the unit, I work, a lot, from their and do not interact with another living soul.

They have also announced that the Loon Echo Land Trust has closed all their trails.

Tennessee put concrete barriers on the border on the Cherohala

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

It's actually worse. Every 10th "customer" gets a rough handy from Gina.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Oh?! Who's Gina? Oh like it matters.. Anybody got a set of NY plates I can borrow?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Oh?! Who's Gina? Oh like it matters.. Anybody got a set of NY plates I can borrow?
    I have a ny motorcycle plate??

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

There's no detaining anyone, and it's already been proven to be 100% legal in a crisis situation.
    All that's happening is people entering the state are being asked if they are staying or passing through. If staying, it's a mandatory self quarantine for 14 days. It's the same rule Uncle Donny put on US residents returning to the US from an international country.
    New York already admitted they didn't have all the facts, and admitted acting (threats of legal action) based on false information.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    Tennessee put concrete barriers on the border on the Cherohala
    Closed course!

SWEET

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    There's no detaining anyone, and it's already been proven to be 100% legal in a crisis situation.
    All that's happening is people entering the state are being asked if they are staying or passing through. If staying, it's a mandatory self quarantine for 14 days. It's the same rule Uncle Donny put on US residents returning to the US from an international country.
    New York already admitted they didn't have all the facts, and admitted acting (threats of legal action) based on false information.
    How is that enforced?

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    How is that enforced?
    They are collecting contact info and relaying that to the state health department. Supposedly the state is following up to protect their well being, but they also would have the ability to make sure they are following the guidelines and target them for violations if not. In RI it's up to $500 or 90 days in jail.

https://www.courant.com/coronavirus/...deq-story.html

2012 Tiger 800 XC

https://thediplomat.com/2020/03/how-...oreas-economy/

With the North Korean regime refusing to report any confirmed cases of COVID-19 within its borders, it is difficult to assess exactly what kind of an impact the virus is having on the lives of North Korean citizens. Even though the country maintains its position of zero cases, sources inside North Korea paint quite a different picture.

According to Daily NK sources inside North Korea, 23 people had died of COVID-19-related symptoms and 82 were under quarantine as of early March. Although the government is trying its best to prevent an all-out health pandemic, its strict measures are having adverse side-effects on its already vulnerable economy. Kim Jong Un began taking measures to curb the spread of the virus very early on, ordering all harbors in Sinuiju port — responsible for a substantial portion of trade with China — to close on January 25. Two days later, he ordered the borders with China to be closed completely.

Trade with China came to an abrupt halt and, with North Korean merchants unable to get goods from China to sell in local markets, a shortage of supplies quickly ensued. This shortage then led to a sharp increase in prices of staple ingredients like flour and rice. By early February, the price of soybean oil had risen by 68 percent compared to early January while flour prices increased by 47 percent. Since then, authorities have imposed strict price limits to prevent prices from skyrocketing out of control but, although the prices of some goods have gone down, the price of rice remains more expensive than usual.

Although most Pyongyang residents can still get by, the situation is much worse in rural areas. A recent survey commissioned by South Korea’s Ministry of Unification showed that nearly half of North Koreans (particularly in border regions) earn income from the private economy. This means that a substantial number of North Koreans must be going through very difficult times now given the border closure with China.

There are also signs that this border blockade is doing more damage to the economy than years of international sanctions against the country. Many ordinary people seem to agree and the price of, for example, gasoline further supports the argument. Even with sanctions in place, the price of gas in North Korea has been fairly stable over the years, fluctuating between 13,000 and 15,000 won per kilogram. The price in mid-March, however, was 16,500 won, up 3,700 won compared to January.

....But there are some signs of hope. Freight train services between Dandong and Pyongyang resumed on March 23 to bring urgent supplies like food and fertilizer. Moreover, given the improved COVID-19 situation in China, it is likely that cross-border trade and smuggling activities will resume in the near future.
    An old Army buddy of mine is now Commander of US Forces Korea. They are going to great lengths on social media and elsewhere to demonstrate they are combating the virus effectively and their readiness has not been impacted.

A lot of Army units stateside have moved out of garrison into the field, where they can both train and isolate themselves.