Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Obama 4 more years

Re: Obama 4 more years

Well some of the 99 got a seat at the table

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Write the same story about Mitt and it's typical republican influence peddling among the rich.

Each candidate represents their 1%. Anything that benefits the 98% left over is coincidence.

Furthermore, most of the people laying out big money at these events are either publicity seekers or want something from the candidate.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Well some of the 99 got a seat at the table
    Wow. You're a bigger prick than I thought.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Furthermore, most of the people laying out big money at these events are either publicity seekers or want something from the candidate.
    I guess...certainly the celebrities at events like this draw cameras. There was no media at this event (except outside when we filed into 60 State Street and even there I remember only one TV crew.) My table in addition to my sister and me: Chairman of Stonyfield Yogurt and his mother, three generations of a family involved in politics, a couple who vacation with The Clintons, and the current Mass State Treasurer who chaired the event. Everyone was amazingly funny and talkative (except the D.C. real estate developer who spent a lot of time on the phone. His wife more than made up for him though - she could do standup.) When the Secret Service did their background check on me they must have laughed outloud and said "Next". There was one table for local campaign workers too. Obama made a point of pointing them out and thanking them before we dove into our dinners.

2012 BMW F800R

Fund raising events don't seem, to me, to be the type of corruption we should worry that much about...it is a pretty transparent process...you can, for the most part, see who is involved.

I am concerned with corp. contributions and SuperPAC funds.

Hiding where the money is coming from does not seem to be beneficial to a healthy democratic government.

Last edited by gadget; 08-18-12 at 08:56 AM.
    Sam

Just as long as you understand that many of the high profile donors are bundling behind the scenes. At the employee level, being "asked" to make a contribution with the implication that it would be made up in a bonus is commonplace in many industries. Then there are the donors who find ways to raise money for both sides.

It is dirty in all directions, for all parties.

No, I do not have a correctiive suggestion...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Just as long as you understand that many of the high profile donors are bundling behind the scenes. At the employee level, being "asked" to make a contribution with the implication that it would be made up in a bonus is commonplace in many industries. Then there are the donors who find ways to raise money for both sides.

It is dirty in all directions, for all parties.

No, I do not have a correctiive suggestion...

what's dirty ? this is 2012, wealth is money, were not in the 25th century when Captain Picard would tell wealth is knowledge

are we required to be altruistic ?

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Though it would be painfull true public financing would produce somewhat more honesty

It would have to be like 2 billion for the top Pres candidates, 200 million for senate etc.

However I believe that currently when a politician leaves office
    the remainder of the election funds become theirs so if they are making deals they realize some of the cash
    will be theirs

The calculus of hate

But how do you qualify someone before giving them money? That's always been my issue with the public option.

Campaign finance reform should be the most important issue in this election and every election until something is done about it because we will NEVER see any type of legislation that benefits anyone other than the 1% and corporations until they aren't allowed to buy elections any longer.

We also need to break the flow of people back and forth between legislature and lobbying. K street should not exist.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Original

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    what's dirty ? this is 2012, wealth is money, were not in the 25th century when Captain Picard would tell wealth is knowledge

are we required to be altruistic ?
    No, just aware of what is going on in the back room while everybody is smiling and glad-handing each other in the front room.

Check out two local examples, Arthur Winn and Alan Solomont. On got caught and might go to jail, the other was slicker and got to be ambassador to Spain. Both were long tern go to guys for candidates in need of dough.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    But how do you qualify someone before giving them money? That's always been my issue with the public option.

Campaign finance reform should be the most important issue in this election and every election until something is done about it because we will NEVER see any type of legislation that benefits anyone other than the 1% and corporations until they aren't allowed to buy elections any longer.

We also need to break the flow of people back and forth between legislature and lobbying. K street should not exist.
    To qualify candidates for national offices, the threshold could be that they belong to a political party that either has a certain percentage of registered voters, or received a certain percentage of votes in the last election, in a certain percentage of the states. Maybe 5 or 10% of voters or votes in 2/3 of the states. That would keep out the far fringe but open it up to more than 2 parties. Instead of a fixed amount per candidate, make it a pool divided equally by all qualified candidates. Public funding would only work if all outside money was banned. Otherwise it's a waste of time and taxpayer dollars. But outside money can't be banned without amending the Constitution. Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen.

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by oVTo View Post
    To qualify candidates for national offices, the threshold could be that they belong to a political party that either has a certain percentage of registered voters, or received a certain percentage of votes in the last election, in a certain percentage of the states. Maybe 5 or 10% of voters or votes in 2/3 of the states. That would keep out the far fringe but open it up to more than 2 parties. Instead of a fixed amount per candidate, make it a pool divided equally by all qualified candidates. Public funding would only work if all outside money was banned. Otherwise it's a waste of time and taxpayer dollars. But outside money can't be banned without amending the Constitution. Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen.
    As an independent, I resent that. You shouldn't have to belong to a party. Parties are the problem. The government should be representative of the people, a lot of whom are independent.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Original

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    As an independent, I resent that. You shouldn't have to belong to a party. Parties are the problem. The government should be representative of the people, a lot of whom are independent.
    I'm independent as well - or unenrolled in MA-speak. But I can't fathom a public funding model that could possibly work for individual candidates not affiliated with any party at all. How would you set a threshold for providing public funding?

Edit - I'll have to think about it, but I don't believe parties are the problem. I think having 2 parties control nearly all the power is a part of the problem. A two-party system was one of the biggest fears of several the founding fathers.

Last edited by oVTo; 08-18-12 at 10:31 PM.
    DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Are you not listening? Philb has already told us that Chinese goods are good for our economy.
    That's because they are (except when they are full of lead or something, of course). But when they meet applicable product standards of safety, having cheaper goods is good; and making goods where it makes no economic sense to make them is stupid. And efforts to force the question with government tariffs and such are like trying to outlaw gravity. Futile, wasteful, and pointless.

It makes no sense to make simple consumer goods in expensive countries anymore. Developing countries can do that cheaper and better, and they need that business and experience in order to build their own economies and standards of living to a reasonable level. Developed countries, meanwhile, need to spend their efforts on activities with higher productivity, that add more value per person, in order to make their higher costs of operation supportable.

Again, you can shake your head and deny economic reality all you like, but it doesn't make you right or knowledgeable about the subject.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Though it would be painfull true public financing would produce somewhat more honesty

It would have to be like 2 billion for the top Pres candidates, 200 million for senate etc.

However I believe that currently when a politician leaves office
    the remainder of the election funds become theirs so if they are making deals they realize some of the cash
    will be theirs
    This is a really bad idea, being pushed now by several groups (mostly liberal).

The LAST thing we need is government bureaucrats getting to decide who qualifies as a candidate or not.
    Look at how the R & D parties have already collaborated to make ballot access extremely onerous for independents and third parties.
    Allowing them to do the same with campaign financing would completely doom us to the same two-party duopoly we suffer under now, forever.

Bad, bad, bad.

People should be allowed to support candidates with their own money, as they choose; it's their own money. Corporations, unions, PACs, any entity that is not a genuine human should not be allowed to contribute to campaigns at all.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

However I believe that currently when a politician leaves office the remainder of the election funds become theirs so if they are making deals they realize some of the cash
    will be theirs
    It just looks that way. They don't get to keep the money (background.) It's easy to think that though. It doesn't help that rich people run for prominent offices and when they leave that office they appear to be or are richer. I think it's the relationships that they take with them that get them $$$$ for speaking, writing, board seats and more that can make it appear they roll in the dough 24x7. That perpetuates the stereotype that in most cases appears true: get elected/get richer at the top of the pyramid.

There are examples of people who say Enough is Enough: Olympia Snow from Maine is a recent example.

2012 BMW F800R

The more the campaign goes on, the more desperate the bowtied bumkissers of the lamestream media become in their attempts to save the failed administration of their hero.

The latest example: A hip-hop expert went on MSNBC (where else?) and claimed that using the word “angry” to describe Barack Obama is racist. Then he threw in the n-word for good measure.

Angry used to be popular with this crowd, at least when describing “angry white men” (Republican voters) or “temper tantrums” (GOP victories).

But now “angry” joins an ever-growing list of moonbat-proscribed words and phrases that have been deemed “racist.”

Also, were you aware that we’re in an economic “recovery”? And that Barack has “created” more than 4 million jobs? That’s what his cheerleaders report, day after day, with straight faces, even when they glumly add that the newest numbers are “unexpectedly” bad.

When Obama abruptly changes his position on an issue (think gay marriage), he is said to have evolved. When Mitt does the same (say, on abortion), he flip-flops.

Ann Romney wears a $990 shirt in May, and the Washington Post denounces her as out of touch and “indicative of a tone-deaf campaign.” Last month in London Mooch-elle Obama showed off an embroidered jacket that cost $6,800. The verdict? She “wowed ’em” at Buckingham Palace.

Rising gas prices? Never mentioned, unless to explain them away by saying they have something to do with an oil refinery fire and are absolutely not the fault of the president.

Falling gas prices? They lead the 6 o’clock news. Beaming motorists interviewed live at the nearest pumps. Good news for the American consumer!

Pointing out that a gallon of gas cost $1.89 on the day Bush left office in 2009 — a firing offense.

U.S. casualties in Afghanistan under Bush — a national catastrophe. Higher U.S. casualties in Afghanistan under Obama — what casualties? Don’t call them Americans either, they’re “coalition forces” or “NATO troops.” Afghans shooting their American commanders — stick with the euphemism “green-on-blue violence.”

Otherwise, voters might get upset, like seeing the flag-draped caskets arriving back at Dover Air Force Base. With George Bush gone, they’ve been banned from the evening news, like Cindy Sheehan. And to paraphrase Pete Seeger: “Where have all the candlelight vigils gone?”

Romney puts his dog on the roof of his car and every comic in Hollywood makes endless jokes. Obama eats a dog in Indonesia — crickets.

Bush’s $4 trillion deficit in eight years? “Unpatriotic,” according to Barack. Obama’s $5 trillion deficit in four years? “The private sector is doing fine,” according to Barack.

Soon they’ll be banning more words as racist. The next to go will be “failure” and “incompetent.”

I went for a ride this morning.

Now I'm having cinnamon raisin English muffins and real butter.

We're going to spend the day at my sister's house near the beach.

Neither candidate will save the world, nor cause its downfall.

Obla di, obla da, life goes on.

You can't get elected with out TV adds

You need money to pay for TV adds

You have to waste trillions of public dollars so 1% gets given back to you as
    campaign contributions

or

If you haven't been a contributor, GM tells you, you have lost your franchise. your bid on a job is misplaced,
    there has been an anonymous complaint about safety etc at your factory or tax audit .......

If the current administration goes forward then I do recommend you donate to the national committee of BOTH parties, just like the big guys.

The calculus of hate

So Gov. Deval Patrick is getting a prime-time speaking slot at the Democratic convention in Charlotte the week after next.

Why shouldn’t he? If Barack Obama is the food-stamp president, as Newt Gingrich called him, then Deval Patrick is the food-stamp governor.

In May 2007, 238,032 households in Massachusetts were on the food-stamp dole for $450 million a year.

Now, according to the Department of Transitional Assistance’s own statistics, 482,000 households are grabbing $1.3 billion a year.

Don’t worry, though, it’s federal money. So that means “we” don’t pay for it, right? No wonder U.S. Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.) said last week that the Department of Agriculture should be renamed the Department of Food Stamps.

This remarkable success of the Patrick administration in increasing dependence among the citizens (and even more so among noncitizens) came to my attention when someone sent me the farewell address of DTA Commissioner Julia Kehoe in November.

She was leaving her $137,000 job for a new $141,100 slot at the Executive Office of Health and Human Services.

“Every day,” she began, “I am humbled by your Herculean efforts to assist Massachusetts’ lowest income residents meet their basic needs, increase their incomes and improve their quality of life.”

Yeah, it’s arduous work, giving away other people’s money.

“Your work is ... inspirational during the worst recession in generations.”

What the heck was Kehoe talking about? I thought the private sector was doing fine. That’s what Barack Obama says, and he never lies.

“In just a few short years together, we increased the amount of SNAP benefits coming into Massachusetts by more than $70 million per month and continued to manage a caseload that has more than doubled.”

Luckily, when you’re offering a product there’s a high demand for — free money — somehow word always gets around. And in every language, too. But bragging about increasing the welfare rolls — isn’t that like the police captain in charge of the burglary unit boasting about a record number of break-ins on his watch?

In a sane world, shouldn’t the welfare department be charged with reducing dependency, not increasing it?

Aren’t we supposed to have a low unemployment rate here in the Bay State? Surely Gov. Patrick will mention that in his prime-time speech. Doubling the food-stamp rolls and tripling payouts to the indolent — that may end up on the cutting room floor.
    From Carrs column.

Last edited by Rambunctous; 08-22-12 at 05:34 AM.

Instead of telling us how terrible Obama/Biden is, why don't you explain to us how Romney/Ryan are going to improve the country with all their "plans".

What, exactly, do you think the Romney/Ryan would do differently, that will improve our country?

Sam

Thats easy. First off, Obama and democrats have no budget nor a plan for Social Security and Medicare. Unless you consider blaming the rich and just let it limp along and go under a plan. Ryans plan calls for letting the Medicare (customer) choose between the present plan or letting you choose a private plan. No dying elderly people there BTW. Same with SS. You can continue to contribute but with a option to let you manage 5 % of YOUR money. Nothing radical there. Its not like privatizing all that much. Big Brother will still control 95 % of YOUR money. I actually don't know what Ryans budget consists of that he submitted but I do know Obama has not cpmplied with the law and submitted a budget on time nor does he even has one. Now its your turn. Tell us what your savoir has for plans for those three things. Waiting.....No name calling. Just tell us Obamas plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    ...Ryans plan calls for letting the Medicare (customer) choose between the present plan or letting you choose a private plan. No dying elderly people there BTW. Same with SS. You can continue to contribute but with a option to let you manage 5 % of YOUR money. Nothing radical there. Its not like privatizing all that much. Big Brother will still control 95 % of YOUR money. I actually don't know....
    That's it?
    Your saying that Romney and Ryan are going to fix the economy by letting you control 5% of your medicare costs?

WTF?!?

Sam

I think someone needs time to research.

- - - Updated - - -

Whats their plan?

You fail. You had time to tell us the savoirs plan. We both know there is none. Epic fail from the liberal.