Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Pot referendum?

Pot referendum?

Originally posted by Mr. E. Squid
    so like, am I like the ONLY one? am I standing alone on this issue?

I'm with ya Mr.E.

Surprisingly enough.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Pot referendum?

then you, along with everyone else who IS informed, join the legalization movement, convince others to vote accordingly, and get your way.

Until then.....
    See the problem is that people don't want to BECOME informed, and when you tell them that you have become informed, that you have some real compelling data, they revert to the typical Mr. E. Squid tactic of "who are you to be telling me what to think" even though they know nothing about the issue....

This mentality is best illustrated by a quote from a good friend of mine:
    "And for those who don't get it? That was explained to me in late 2002 by Mark McKinnon, a longtime senior media adviser to Bush, who now runs his own consulting firm and helps the president. He started by challenging me. ''You think he's an idiot, don't you?'' I said, no, I didn't. ''No, you do, all of you do, up and down the West Coast, the East Coast, a few blocks in southern Manhattan called Wall Street. Let me clue you in. We don't care. You see, you're outnumbered 2 to 1 by folks in the big, wide middle of America, busy working people who don't read The New York Times or Washington Post or The L.A. Times. And you know what they like? They like the way he walks and the way he points, the way he exudes confidence. They have faith in him. And when you attack him for his malaprops, his jumbled syntax, it's good for us. Because you know what those folks don't like? They don't like you!'' In this instance, the final ''you,'' of course, meant the entire reality-based community."

The same logic applies here. The fact is that I have information, and data out the WAZOOO on this issue, very compelling data, that anyone with a reasonably analytical mind would find compelling, but YOU and the rest of YOU don't want to know more about it, to YOU its just more liberals telling you that they know best... Know what? Sometimes they do!

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Pot referendum?

Originally posted by hohum
    See the problem is that people don't want to BECOME informed, and when you tell them that you have become informed, that you have some real compelling data, they revert to the typical Mr. E. Squid tactic of "who are you to be telling me what to think" even though they know nothing about the issue....

This mentality is best illustrated by a quote from a good friend of mine:
    "And for those who don't get it? That was explained to me in late 2002 by Mark McKinnon, a longtime senior media adviser to Bush, who now runs his own consulting firm and helps the president. He started by challenging me. ''You think he's an idiot, don't you?'' I said, no, I didn't. ''No, you do, all of you do, up and down the West Coast, the East Coast, a few blocks in southern Manhattan called Wall Street. Let me clue you in. We don't care. You see, you're outnumbered 2 to 1 by folks in the big, wide middle of America, busy working people who don't read The New York Times or Washington Post or The L.A. Times. And you know what they like? They like the way he walks and the way he points, the way he exudes confidence. They have faith in him. And when you attack him for his malaprops, his jumbled syntax, it's good for us. Because you know what those folks don't like? They don't like you!'' In this instance, the final ''you,'' of course, meant the entire reality-based community."

The same logic applies here. The fact is that I have information, and data out the WAZOOO on this issue, very compelling data, that anyone with a reasonably analytical mind would find compelling, but YOU and the rest of YOU don't want to know more about it, to YOU its just more liberals telling you that they know best... Know what? Sometimes they do!
    thats fucking brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Pot referendum?

Why should anyone strive to become informed on anything they just don't give a damn about, whereas there are absolutely NO possible positive outcomes (oh yeah, the blah, blah, blah, tax dollars argument)?

The more appropriate tactic is to inform/ask/reach out to/whatever someone who actually cares.
    Why should anyone strive to become informed? Hmmm, maybe because its better to know what you are talking about before forming an opinion/opening your mouth?

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Pot referendum?

Chemical happiness.

It makes people happy, just in an un-natural way.

You will never convince a pot smoker it is bad for society, and they will never convince us it is good for it. Just leave it be. You can't win.

I suppose in some ways I am conservative. I don't want our country to turn into a pot haven where it is a huge past time.

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650

Littering and........

Pot referendum?

Originally posted by hohum
    Why should anyone strive to become informed? Hmmm, maybe because its better to know what you are talking about before forming an opinion/opening your mouth?
    You are going to make one HELL of a lawyer.

Pot referendum?

Originally posted by TheIglu
    Chemical happiness.

It makes people happy, just in an un-natural way.

You will never convince a pot smoker it is bad for society, and they will never convince us it is good for it. Just leave it be. You can't win.
    See the argument isn't whether pot smoking itself is good for society of not (thats a very debatable issue), the REAL question is whether arresting and criminalizing pot smokers for no other reason than smoking pot is good for society. There is some real empirical evidence here that it is not.

Littering and........

Pot referendum?

Ok, I'll open my mind for a second.

List the benefits of smoking pot, and why I should care?
    Because you'd have something to do other than make up goofy names for this web site???

Pot referendum?

Ok, so here, let me inform you about the potential issues regarding the life cycle of a liver fluke.... I have all sorts of data for you to review on how fluctuations on their life cycle can have an impact on chlorophyll levels in certain types of Rye greass....
    Connect this to some issue at large in society, that has a demonstrable affect on the way a significant number of people live their life, and I am interested. (I also won't open my mouth with an opinion on regulation in regards to liver flukes until I understand the issue )

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

Pot referendum?

if it's an issue you really don't give a damn about...

...then why do you, repeatedly, insist on getting involved in discussions about it?

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

Pot referendum?

DING!

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650

Pot referendum?

See my above post. Its NOT about the benefits of smoking pot, IT IS about the benefits to society of not prosecuting people simply for smoking pot.

Pot referendum?

Nice try, although too bad it's YOUR OPINION.

"demonstrable" "significant number" impact on their lives thereof... c'mon, an opinion from YOUR side of the coin...
    Simple science Joe, statistics. Some real numbers. I advanced no opinion there other than "I don't know", and "Prove to me that its meaningful"

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

Pot referendum?

Here, I'll give you an honest answer too:

'Cause I want to see the arguments people will throw up against the wall. It's actually exciting to see some of the stuff people come up with.

Happy?

ecstatic!

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

Pot referendum?

open mind eh...
    damn right.... see I can educate myself then reevaluate my positions on things...

you should try it you might like it...hell you may even be a happier person for it

From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Pot referendum?

so now what? the argument defaults to "meaningful" statistics and "accurate" interpretation thereof?
    Yup, because its the closest we can get to an unbiased analysis. Is there some shade of qualitative argument when defining what is meaningful and what is not, and what is an accurate interpretation? Sure, but until we can discuss what statisitics are meaningful, and what the interpretations of those statistics might be without an off the cuff dismissal, we aren't even discussing anything.

Pot referendum?

thank you for coming right back around to my original point.

Now Please list the benefits of smoking pot and why we should, in fact, dive into statistical matters.
    Ahh, the circles we run in... I think this is the THIRD time I have said it, its not about the benefits of smoking pot, its about the benefits to society of not prosecuting pot smokers.

a) reduced cost on the court system (huge number of pot only cases in MA alone)
    b) reduced cost to incarcerate people (some thousands and thousands of people in prison for nothing more than smoking pot)
    c) ability to tax the product (likely be able to make as much money off of pot tax as off of alcohol tax)
    d) ability to spend money on rehab instead of incarceration (incarceration has been shown to INCREASE recidivism rather than decrease it in the case of simple drug posession)

Just a few points that illustrate the benefit to society of not prosecuting pot smokers (REMEMBER ITS NOT ABOUT THE BENEFITS OF POT SMOKING ITS ABOUT THE BENEFITS TO THE REST OF US)

Pot referendum?

Ok, so here, let me inform you about the potential issues regarding the life cycle of a liver fluke.... I have all sorts of data for you to review on how fluctuations on their life cycle can have an impact on chlorophyll levels in certain types of Rye greass....
    That's very cute to try and change the topic of conversation when you have no argument.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is an example of fhe fallacy of the Extended Analogy. This often occurs when some suggested general rule is being argued over. The fallacy is to assume that mentioning two different situations, in an argument about a general rule, constitutes a claim that those situations are analogous to each other.

Nice try, Squid.

Yup.

Littering and........

Pot referendum?

Now Please list the benefits of smoking pot
    The benefit of smoking pot is getting high.

I can understand not wanting to smoke, because I dont. But I hardly think that gives me the right to tell others that they cant. And furthermore, the number of tax dollars and law enforcement time wasted on chasing down marijuana users, (when marijuana is no worse than alcohol, which is legal), is time and money that could be directed towards anti terrorism.

THATS the point.

Pot referendum?

thank you for coming right back around to my original point.

Now Please list the benefits of smoking pot and why we should, in fact, dive into statistical matters.
    list to me the benifits of riding a motorcycle

drink alcohol

eating fast food

sky diving

bungee jumping

swimming in below freezing water(Polar bear Clubs)

God you arguements are SO weak and transparent they are moronic..you sound like a broken record...

Pot referendum?

Give me a minute, Ryan. I'm gonna disect and refute every last one of his arguments. It's not like I have anything better to do. And I get no greater satisfaction than owning someone in their own argument!

Yup.

Pot referendum?

Originally posted by Cam_In_RI
    That's very cute to try and change the topic of conversation when you have no argument.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is an example of fhe fallacy of the Extended Analogy. This often occurs when some suggested general rule is being argued over. The fallacy is to assume that mentioning two different situations, in an argument about a general rule, constitutes a claim that those situations are analogous to each other.

Nice try, Squid.

mmm, logical fallacies...

http://www.nizkor.org/features/falla...dex.html#index

Pot referendum?

You just put cost in front of individual social/health matters pal, real ethical....
    i.e., what the republican party's primary platform is

Pot referendum?

Yeah, 'cause you seem to THINK it's two separate and unrelated issues. They're not. Why should it's status change, or more appripriately, why should we even look INTO changing it's status if there's no "demonstrable" positive apsects?

You just put cost in front of individual social/health matters pal, real ethical....
    I turn this to you...show me the negative impacts this could have on society. Providing it is done in a way mirroring alcohol.....

Which one is worse....

ANd dont give me the...I'm not palying that game because I dont care if either is illegal....we live in a free country and it is not up to you to tell me what is good for me and what isnt..

and leave the driving aspect out of it..

*tap**tap**hello* *hello* ...is this thing on?

Pot referendum?

As well he should. Cost determines those individual social/health matters that you just talked about.

Error: Mystery Squid.

Yup.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast