Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Pot referendum?

Pot referendum?

Originally posted by Mr. E. Squid
    Yeah, 'cause you seem to THINK it's two separate and unrelated issues. They're not. Why should it's status change, or more appripriately, why should we even look INTO changing it's status if there's no "demonstrable" positive apsects?
    Do we need to come up with any other answer than simply smoking pot does no harm to anyone else? Remember, noone is arguing that you should be allowed to do dangerous things while intoxicated, just the right to intoxication.

Sure, you can argue that it ups the cost of healthcare as a result of cancer and ER visits, but you're a diehard republican and don't think the state should be in the business of healthcare so what do you care? Also, you'll be hard pressed to find any real studies linking cancer with pot smoking because the government can't/won't fund them. There's anecdotal evidence, but nothing more since the research hasn't been done. I DARE you to find one case of a pot overdose (plenty of em for alcohol).

As far as an argument FOR smoking pot, without taking into account societal benefits of not prosecuting pot smokers, the only rational argument is that if it does no harm why should it be illegal?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Pot referendum?

all this piss and vinegar about pot, one MIGHT think all objections to it's legalities thereof might have fallen.

So if all your arguments are sound, why has it not been made legal yet?

Because the MOB rules, and the MOB isn't interested in reason or rational thought.

Case in point: 2004 presidential election

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Pot referendum?

all this piss and vinegar about pot, one MIGHT think all objections to it's legalities thereof might have fallen.

So if all your arguments are sound, why has it not been made legal yet?

too lazy we smoke too much

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Pot referendum?

It's not legal yet because the majority of the voting population isn't educated on the truths about marijuana. It's very simple. Most people aren't gonna take time and read up on the facts. They will rely on what the government says, regardless of how true it is.

The government is not always right.

Yup.

Pot referendum?

Just because alcohol is legal and has been around forever, does it make it good for our country? For individuals?

If we were raised in a situation where it was considered a dangerous and illegal drug, what would be different from today? Less bars, less alcoholics, probably the same amount of arrests from it, etc.

We would have a country where more people would enjoy LIFE, not a bottle or a joint.

I consider pot similar to alcohol. Now if pot was legal all these years and socially accepted, would everyone be for legalizing alcohol? I bet not.

One mainstream behavior affecting drug is plenty. I don't see pot as bad, I see having more legal drugs bad. It's pretty apparent people can't handle one right now, I can only imagine two.

Once again, personal opinion here. Not trying to sway anyone any other way.

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Pot referendum?

I disagree. During Prohibition, alcohol consumption, and crime went UP! Soon after it was repealed, consumption returned to normal levels. You guys don't get that anytime you tell people they can't have something, they'll want it even more. Especially when it's been proven that it's not dangerous like it was once thought to be.

Chart 1. Total Expenditure on Distilled Spirts as a Percentage of Total Alcohol Sales (1890-1960)

Yup.

Pot referendum?

It is odd. How would they track illegal sales and consumption of alcohol?

If it is illegal, wouldn't there be no real way to track how much is being used?

Seriously, don't you think that data is a bit flawed? Is there any explanation about how it was attained?

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650

Pot referendum?

Originally posted by TheIglu
    One mainstream behavior affecting drug is plenty. I don't see pot as bad, I see having more legal drugs bad. It's pretty apparent people can't handle one right now, I can only imagine two.
    But, as a result of alcohol being legal, there is TONS of research into its effects and people can actually make an informed decision. The same can't be said for pot.

Wouldn't it make more sense for the state to spend more money on rehab/helping people with serious drug problems, than on incarcerating them? Right now the numbers are at about $100 for incarceration for every $1 on treatment. Incarceration won't stop the drug problem, only treatment will.

You are right, people can't handle one right now, but serious alcoholism/horrible alcohol poisoning/deaths from contaminated bathtub gin is certainly down from prohibition days. Regulate and Treat, don't incarcerate.

I fully respect your position Clayton, I just think that there are better ways to help people with problems with drugs deal.

Pot referendum?

Here's the homicide rate. Note the increase after 1921, and the subsequent decrease.

Here, you can clearly see a drop in 1921, but it went back up. You can't keep people from getting what they want.

Yup.

Pot referendum?

Again, if you and your contingency are sooo convinced as to why it should be legal, start a movement, solicit votes!

MAKE US CARE WHY WE SHOULD PAY ATTENTION TO AND LEGALIZE YOUR POT ISSUE!

We are THE MOB.
    We're already ahead of you, bucko.

NORML

Yup.

Littering and........

Pot referendum?

Okay, heres why I think all drugs should be legal-

So that I can sell them. Mostly to little kids. Oh sure, you might think that kids dont have much money, but you're wrong. Their parents give them lunch money every, single day. You'd be amazed by how quickly $1.25 turns into, like $20, when your selling heroin to 8 year olds. And if they dont have money, well, there is always sexual favors.

Dont you all go and judge me, like I know you're doing. I have to feed my family, and support my RAGING marijuana addiction somehow.

Also, if I didn't sell drugs, there wouldn't be any prostitutes out there for you folks to have sex with. After all, no one gives head like a crackhead with no teeth.

Pot referendum?

If it is illegal, wouldn't there be no real way to track how much is being used?

Seriously, don't you think that data is a bit flawed? Is there any explanation about how it was attained?
    My bad. I got my data from the CATO Institute.

Yup.

Pot referendum?

Actually, if anything alot of that prohibition era data on alcohol consumption is UNDER estimated (its largely figured based upon seizures, busts, costs per ounce of illegal booze, etc)

Pretty much any source of data (other than the modern day prohibition party) indicates that alcohol consumption drastically increased during that period, and alcohol safety (bad bathtub gin) went down drastically.

Littering and........

Pot referendum?

What we NEED to do is to start having the government SPONSOR marijuana dealers. You want to see crime stop? How many criminals would be out breaking into your houses and cars when they're stoned all the time. They wouldn't, because (a) they would be far too lazy, and (b), the minute they broke the glass to get in, they would be paralyzed with laughter at how funny they are.

Also, we shoud give all terrorists free pot. Especially Osama. He would be a much better guy if he spent all day listening to Cypress Hill's "Hits from the Bong" and getting stoned.

Pot referendum?

No it's not. Both are drugs. Both cause mind altering affects. The current marijuana laws came about during the Prohibition movement because people who were drinking alcohol switched to pot as a an alternative. No red herring here.

Do you even know what a Red Herring is?

Yup.

Pot referendum?

So what are you saying, since we now have tons research on alcohol we can make an informed decision on ultimately starting a movement to prohibit it again? That's a red herring argument...
    No, what I am saying is that consumers of alcohol can make an informed decision about whether or not to consume alcohol, because we FULLY understand its effects.

Although it could be said we do have enough information to CONSIDER a prohibition movement again (info we didn't really have during the prohibition period), the information we have tends to prove that a prohibition movement would be harmful rather than beneficial.

Pot referendum?

you do realize this single faceted data is making you look like a chump right?
    Running out of arguments, eh? It was only a matter of time.

See Squid run!

Yup.

Littering and........

Pot referendum?

Originally posted by Cam_In_RI
    No it's not. Both are drugs. Both cause mind altering affects. The current marijuana laws came about during the Prohibition movement because people who were drinking alcohol switched to pot as a an alternative. No red herring here.

Do you even know what a Red Herring is?
    Yeah, a Red Herring is when you bang a chick that is having her period and.....

Oh, wait, that something else entirely.

Pot referendum?

right into my hands...

then why isn't it legal yet?

I've seen 5 year olds argue cases better than you. You're pathetic.
    It's not legal yet because the majority of the voting population isn't educated on the truths about marijuana. It's very simple. Most people aren't gonna take time and read up on the facts. They will rely on what the government says, regardless of how true it is.

The government is not always right.

Yup.

Pot referendum?

Originally posted by highsider
    Yeah, a Red Herring is when you bang a chick that is having her period and.....

Oh, wait, that something else entirely.
    Red wings are not the same as a Red Herring.

Have you earned your wings yet?

Yup.

Littering and........

Pot referendum?

I've seen 5 year olds argue cases better than you. You're pathetic.
    Cam, will you be eating calamari tonight?

Littering and........

Pot referendum?

Red wings are not the same as a Red Herring.

Have you earned your wings yet?
    I have a VERY dirty story about that....for another thread, another day.....

Pot referendum?

[B]oh yeah, it's unequivocally clear alcohol is the only variable having an effect upon homicide rates...
    So refute my argument Mr Smart Guy.

You really are Republican. You and Mr. Bush sure know how to roll your eyes when don't have an argument in a debate.

Yup.

Pot referendum?

doesn't seem like you and your evidence kept us out of office did it?
    Nope, because the MOB cares not for evidence, only impression.

Pot referendum?

Quote from the CATO About Us website:

"The Cato Institute seeks to broaden the parameters of public policy debate to allow consideration of the traditional American principles of limited government, individual liberty, free markets and peace. Toward that goal, the Institute strives to achieve greater involvement of the intelligent, concerned lay public in questions of policy and the proper role of government."

This data was NOT from an independant third party without related goals and intent.

They do not say how the data was collected. It was from a book. I guess 1 author can keep track of illegal drug creation and consumption, huh....

Here is the source:
    Source: Clark Warburton, The Economic Results of Prohibition (New York: Columbia University Press, 1932), pp. 23-26, 72.

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast