Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Pot referendum?

Pot referendum?

You're changing the subject again. Perhaps if you had pot, you'd remain slightly more on focus.

I think I will declare myself the winner of this argument, Bush style!

[X] Hootie
    [ ] Mr. E. Squid

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yup.

Pot referendum?

Originally posted by Mr. E. Squid
    and who's fault is that?

I blame the average IQ

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Pot referendum?

Originally posted by TheIglu
    Quote from the CATO About Us website:

"The Cato Institute seeks to broaden the parameters of public policy debate to allow consideration of the traditional American principles of limited government, individual liberty, free markets and peace. Toward that goal, the Institute strives to achieve greater involvement of the intelligent, concerned lay public in questions of policy and the proper role of government."

This data was NOT from an independant third party without related goals and intent.

They do not say how the data was collected. It was from a book. I guess 1 author can keep track of illegal drug creation and consumption, huh....

Here is the source:
    Source: Clark Warburton, The Economic Results of Prohibition (New York: Columbia University Press, 1932), pp. 23-26, 72.
    WTF are you talking about? There's 58 different sources for that article, among which is the American Heart Association.

Yup.

Pot referendum?

You potheads post too quick when someone is bashing your hobby. Slow down!

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Pot referendum?

You potheads post too quick when someone is bashing your hobby. Slow down!
    Come here little boy, first one is FREE@!

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Pot referendum?

Originally posted by Cam_In_RI
    WTF are you talking about? There's 58 different sources for that article, among which is the American Heart Association.
    You posted three charts. I was referring those three charts.

Directly under those charts in the article is the source.

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650

Pot referendum?

which is the result of?

Apathy, it happens when your country has been the biggest, the baddest, and the strongest (in many ways) for so many years...

Why learn when gubment will tell us what to think!

Pot referendum?

You posted three charts. I was referring those three charts.

Directly under those charts in the article is the source.
    How about this, courtest of druglibrary.org? If you gimme a sec, I'll find other info as well.

You guys can't win. I already won. I'm better than you are.

Edit: here's more

Yup.

Pot referendum?

Sure has been!

Whoda thought, on a day that GWB won the election fair and square, me and Miss Tree Skid have united to form one hell of a hobgoblin of an argumentative front!

BEHOLD THE POWER!

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650

Pot referendum?

Sure has been!

Whoda thought, on a day that GWB won the election fair and square, me and Miss Tree Skid have united to form one hell of a hobgoblin of an argumentative front!

BEHOLD THE POWER!
    You are slipping to the dark side, beware its seduction!

Pot referendum?

How about this, courtest of druglibrary.org? If you gimme a sec, I'll find other info as well.

You guys can't win. I already won. I'm better than you are.

Who said anything about homicide rates?

So if you guys are correct, if we legalize pot, there will be a massive redux in usage?

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650

Pot referendum?

Who said anything about homicide rates?

So if you guys are correct, if we legalize pot, there will be a massive redux in usage?
    Anecdotally, yes... over time. Not enough evidence to know for sure, but in theory, with more drug treatment available (paid for by the taxes on said drugs), and without the illegality of it, it should go down... We only have a few models upon which we can rely when predicting this, but its the best evidence we have
    (prohibition, the netherlands, british columbia as models)

There isn't enough evidence that I would say "Yes, its absolutely certain that use would go down" but the data does "suggest" this...

Pot referendum?

I edited the post above to include more comprehensive analysis re: prohibition.

I think that if pot was decriminalized or legalized, we would see a small spike, followed by a decline. Why? Companies still have the right to do drug tests and hire/fire at will. The law may say that you can smoke pot, but it doesn't say that I have to hire you if you do.

So a few people will try it (first timers), but no real increase in activity. If anything, it will help the court system out and generate revenue vis-a-vis fines.

Yup.

Pot referendum?

If anything, it will help the court system out and generate revenue vis-a-vis fines.
    If you are talking decrim, yeah. The big dollar win is through outright legalization and taxation.

Pot referendum?

HEY, LET'S HEAR SOME MORE ASSUMPTIONS!

That can easily be backed up by the usage trends in the Netherlands after their decrim... No, we aren't the Netherlands, but you can't simply throw out the evidence from other places in the world that have tried decriminalization.

Pot referendum?

btw, is alcoholism a disease?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    Mmmm, red herring, tasty!

Pot referendum?

I thought you guys said pot doesn't have as much negative side effects?

So why wouldn't there be a HUGE rise in who uses it? It is harmless right?

There will be a MASSIVE increase eventually. Maybe not this generation, but over time, we will turn into a huge Amsterdam. With very few side effects as you gentlemen are touting as a benefit, why wouldn't lots of people take it up as a social drug?

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650

Pot referendum?

I thought you guys said pot doesn't have as much negative side effects?

So why wouldn't there be a HUGE rise in who uses it? It is harmless right?

There will be a MASSIVE increase eventually. Maybe not this generation, but over time, we will turn into a huge Amsterdam. With very few side effects as you gentlemen are touting as a benefit, why wouldn't lots of people take it up as a social drug?
    Because lots and lots of people already use it as a social drug. (Estimated 10%+ of the population regularly use it)

Its not a matter of lots of people "taking it up" it would more be a matter of lots of people not having to hide it.

Pot referendum?

we will turn into a huge Amsterdam
    And this would be bad because? Have you visited Amsterdam/The Netherlands? Its about the most tolerant place in the world, one of the cleanest cities in the world, great social programs... There are far worse models we could choose for our society.

Pot referendum?

and you know why right?

My personal history with pot prevents me from accepting it as a good thing to have in most people's lives. I am biased and am the first to say so.

I will never use it.

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650

Pot referendum?

exactly!

if that number is even remotely accurate.... no one cares enough! there are no good beneifts to be had such that that number would significantly rise, and ultimately, make it legal!
    The number is a median of several figures I have found online... a best guess (since it is illegal and people don't readily admit it)

See the thing is, that the dollars spent on prosecuting these "crimes" DOES infact justify making it legal, but since the majority are only affected via their pocketbooks very indirectly through their taxes (what if I told you $100 of your tax money every year goes to prosecuting someone who just smoked a joint and nothing more? what if I told you it was on the order of the same number of tax dollars you spend on prosecuting speeders?), the dollar value impact on their own pocketbook is not something that anyone has quantified for them... In other words, for non users it doesn't affect them directly enough to care... even though they should.

Pot referendum?

i hear this a lot... The Netherlands... the great social utopia... raise your hand if you want to leave the U.S. and move to the Netherlands....
    ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!!!

In a hearbeat I would move there if it wasn't so damn difficult to get EU citizenship! (or a good contract there)

Pot referendum?

My personal history with pot prevents me from accepting it as a good thing to have in most people's lives. I am biased and am the first to say so.

I will never use it.
    Ahh, so you had a bad experience with pot and therefore its not possible that people can have good experiences with it?

That seems a wee bit paternalistic to me... None of the pro pot folks would advocate people SHOULD use pot, simply that they should be free to choose to... Your choice is made, great. But why should I get arrested for posession of a joint, have to spend time in jail, when people who do far more serious things don't?

The average jail time for posession of a lb of pot is greater than the average jail time for assaulting your girlfriend/wife. Is that justice?

Pot referendum?

Heh, don't know why I am arguing with Clayton... he's on my side so much of the time, that we should just agree to disagree on this one...

Now its time to go smoke a nice phat one!

Littering and........

Pot referendum?

Make it legal, and you kick open the floodgates, just like prohibition, and there's no turning back.
    The floodgates to - lots of sleepy, funny, non-dangerous potheads!!!!

LORD, SAVE US!!!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast