Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

View Poll Results: Who d'ya vote for?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Clinton

17 24.64%
  • Trump

11 15.94%
  • Johnson

31 44.93%
  • Stein

1 1.45%
  • Other

1 1.45%
  • Will not vote

3 4.35%
  • Beet is Naked

4 5.80%
  • Bemused

1 1.45%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Presidential voting - Who and Why and Poll

Re: Presidential voting - Who and Why and Poll

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    We've gotten to the point of despising the candidate so much that they will not be able to sway our opinion, ever. You can see it with Obama and you'll definitely see it with these two. It is scary and the future is not looking bright for the country.
    Perhaps if at least one of those parties nominates a less despicable candidate? It's not our fault if we strongly despise the genuinely despicable.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Who holds the record for most hated president before they even start their term? That record could be in jeopardy...
    GB #2

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Recency bias.

A historical look back at presidential campaigns would point to a level of incivility, rancor and hatred that the current campaign can only aspire to.

The Presidential Election of 1800: A Story of Crisis, Controversy, and Change | The Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History

3 Not allowed!

It's pretty clear either HRC or Trump will win. IF Trump wins it will be because his supporters were more passionate about his message than HRC's.

Many HRC voters are holding their nose while at the poll.

Consider what things look like Wednesday morning if enough HRC voters stay home and enough disgusted voters go for Johnson.

Im no shill for HRC, but if Trump is elected we might as well be living in "idiocracy" with Terry Crews as President in a Rick James wig.

Idiocracy’ at 10: Mike Judge’s Cult Film Saw America Run by Imbeciles. Well… - The Daily Beast

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    It's pretty clear either HRC or Trump will win. IF Hillary wins it will be because her supporters were more passionate about her message than Trump's.

Many Trump voters are holding their nose while at the poll.

Consider what things look like Wednesday morning if enough Trump voters stay home and enough disgusted voters go for Johnson.

Im no shill for Trump, but if Hillary is elected we might as well be living in a kleptocratic banana republic.
    It plays equally well both ways. Which is why the right thing to do is to be a disgusted voter and go for Johnson. (Who has, BTW, been drawing pretty evenly from both terrible candidates, and thus not tilting the election significantly one way or the other.)

The best chance for sanity is if T and H stay even down to the wire, third parties take a couple of states (e.g. McMullin in UT, Johnson in NM and one or two others), neither H nor T gets 270, and the House picks the President. Unlikely, but not impossible.

PhilB

1 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises

But Johnson hardly resembles sanity, either Phil. And that's where I'm stuck on him.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    But Johnson hardly resembles sanity, either Phil. And that's where I'm stuck on him.
    If you don't like Hillrump don't think of it as voting FOR Johnson. Think of it as voting for a better election in 4 years. A vote Johnsons way is a long game vote.

3 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

House picks with just a simple majority if neither get to 270?

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Top 3 candidates are presented to the House as options for the Presidency.
    Each state delegation gets a single vote. It is not a simple majority.

Senate elects a Vice President from the top 2 receiving electoral votes. Simple majority (each senator gets a vote).

If the House fails to elect a President, the VP Elect serves until they do so.

0 Not allowed!

Johnson isn't fast on his feet, but his policies and proposals are FAR more sane than either H or T. Personally, I wish he was a lot more libertarian than he is. The libertarian community is struggling to get behind him because he's really pretty mainstream and conventional. What's crazy to you about what he has been proposing (meaning what he actually has said, not what Democrats and Republicans accuse him of saying)?

PhilB

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by PhilB; 11-07-16 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    If you don't like Hillrump don't think of it as voting FOR Johnson. Think of it as voting for a better election in 4 years. A vote Johnsons way is a long game vote.
    I get all that nonsense.

Right this second I'm too lazy to go digging (I should be studying) but I definitely know that his views on state's rights with special concerns paid to environmental issues (even though he's said he'll keep the EPA, although I suspect a gutted version) are far too naive to be practical in our society. Borderline utopian.
    Which, in theory I'm on board with. BUT the America that exists right now can't handle that.

As I've said earlier, I WISH there was any candidate (especially a 3rd party candidate) that I felt represented my views. I've expressed some disappointment already, but I'm bummed there aren't really any.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Chippertheripper; 11-07-16 at 02:25 PM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I get all that nonsense.

Right this second I'm too lazy to go digging (I should be studying) but I definitely know that his views on state's rights with special concerns paid to environmental issues (even though he's said he'll keep the EPA, although I suspect a gutted version) are far too naive to be practical in our society. Borderline utopian.
    Which, in theory I'm on board with. BUT the America that exists right now can't handle that.

As I've said earlier, I WISH there was any candidate (especially a 3rd party candidate) that I felt represented my views. I've expressed some disappointment already, but I'm bummed there aren't really any.
    There are 5 others that could at least theoretically win: Johnson and Stein are on enough ballots to gather 270 electoral votes. McMullin, Castle, and DeLa Fuente are on some ballots, and eligible on enough write-ins to do it. And if none of those do it for you, you can always protest with a write-in for Vermin Supreme, or the ineligible candidate of your fancy.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!

I appreciate your enthusiasm, Phil.
    I'm going to have to be comfortable in my choice. I'm still coming to terms with it.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Trump and Clinton are both evil (in different ways) and I could not stomach the thought of voting for either. Since I live in mass, my vote is thrown away if I don't vote democratic. That being said, I voted for Johnson simply because I'd like that party to get federal funding for the next election. if that happens, this will give us more options to choose from. The more options, the better. FYI, this is the first time I ever voted Libertarian.

1 Not allowed!

I will probably vote Green for the same reason. Stein is a complete idiot but it would be nice to have greater party participation in future debates.

HRC is an awful candidate, but Trump is just absurd. If I lived in a battleground state I'd probably hold my nose and vote Hillary, but since I live in Mass I can pretty much vote for anyone and she'll still win.

1 Not allowed!
    Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Quote Originally Posted by joeswamp View Post
    I will probably vote Green for the same reason. Stein is a complete idiot but it would be nice to have greater party participation in future debates.
    Jill Stein will not gather enuf votes for the Green Party to qualify for debates or funding in the next election

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Maybe not but at least I won't feel as guilty when Hillary starts the next ground war.

1 Not allowed!
    Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Quote Originally Posted by joeswamp View Post

HRC is an awful candidate, but Trump is just absurd. If I lived in a battleground state I'd probably hold my nose and vote Hillary, but since I live in Mass I can pretty much vote for anyone and she'll still win.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    Jill Stein will not gather enuf votes for the Green Party to qualify for debates or funding in the next election
    What Randy said.

Edit: Why Stein over Johnson if your goal is more 3rd party participation?

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 11-07-16 at 04:38 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    this is the first time I ever voted Libertarian.
    it will be the 10th time I have voted for the Libertarian presidential candidate, and the 12th presidential election I have participated in

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    it will be the 10th time I have voted for the Libertarian presidential candidate, and the 12th presidential election I have participated in
    This makes 9 out of 9 for me. Up side: I got to vote for Ron Paul the first time he ran. Down side: I really did have to hold my nose for Barr. I do wish Johnson was more libertarian about some things, but overall, I think he's a good choice and feel I can vote for him in good conscience.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by PhilB; 11-07-16 at 04:43 PM.

I've been planning to vote for Johnson for the same reasons stated above: I live in a blue state, my vote doesn't matter, I'm going to vote third party to give third party a chance 4 years from now. I've always had some heart burn over this, 100% due to his inability to name a foreign leader or know what Aleppo is. I don't know if this is a mainstream fallacy, but it resonates with me and I do not want to vote for him because of it. This bothers me more than emails but not more than Trumps hatred.

Despite HRC's past, she is the most qualified presidential candidate we have ever had. I understand that the actual qualifications for president are incredibly minor (age and citizen requirements) but you know what I mean and can go buzz off if you want to argue semantics on this one.

Johnson's believes are almost spot on to my beliefs. Sadly, I do not believe that he has the social skills to lead this country. The president needs to be the face of this country and needs to be involved and up to speed on all domestic and foreign matters. Johnson isn't there. Maybe its his choice, maybe its a lack of preparedness, or maybe its just choking up. None of these are a valid excuse.

I want to vote for Johnson. I just can't.
    I cannot vote for Trump. It won't happen. No need to go into why, its been covered.
    I do not want to vote for HRC. No need to go into why, its been covered.

A year ago, what really scared me was the thought of Bernie Sanders...right now I'm thinking could live with 4 years of him. What I would really like to see is a republican with the bravado of Sanders. If you put some of Trumps ideas in the mouth of Bernie Sanders...that would be an influential man.

I will be voting for HRC.

1 Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    This makes 9 out of 9 for me. Up side: I got to vote for Ron Paul the first time he ran. Down side: I really did have to hold my nose for Barr. I do wish Johnson was more libertarian about some things, but overall, I think he's a good choice and feel I can vote for him in good conscience.

PhilB
    in hind sight, the choice between Nixon and McGovern was not as stinky as I thought it was at the time

back in '92, I did get to meet personally with Andre Marrou, he attended one of my State Senate campaign events

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Are we about to be treated to a healthy spat of "who's more libertarian?"

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Are we about to be treated to a healthy spat of "who's more libertarian?"
    No, I don't think Randy and I are competing here. Just relating our respective experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I've been planning to vote for Johnson for the same reasons stated above ... I've always had some heart burn over this, 100% due to his inability to name a foreign leader or know what Aleppo is. I don't know if this is a mainstream fallacy, but it resonates with me and I do not want to vote for him because of it. This bothers me more than emails but not more than Trumps hatred. ...
    Both of those are BS issues twisted by his opponents into things they were not.

Gary knows what Aleppo is, and has a good handle on (and policy for) the conflicts in Syria, and he stated those very soon after the "Aleppo moment". He did not, in a surprise question, out of context, without transition from the previous topic, recognize the word at the moment. That's a momentary brainfart, not a valid reason to disqualify him from anything.

The world leader question was not to "name a foreign leader"; it was to "name a current foreign leader that he respects". That's a VERY different question, and it's entirely reasonable that a libertarian would have trouble coming up with an example -- very few foreign (or domestic) leaders are anywhere near libertarian. He did, after some reflection, come up with Vicente Fox, who made some good reforms in Mexico, even though Fox isn't current. Again no valid reason to be disqualified from anything, nothing there that implies any sort of inability to perform the duties of president.

It's sad that so much of our voting public is swayed by dumb little "gotcha" soundbites like that, while at the same time ignoring the huge issues with Hillary (mainly warmongering and Wall Street) and Trump (pretty much everything).

PhilB

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by PhilB; 11-07-16 at 05:56 PM.

For the record, my money was on you, PhilB.

2 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast