Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Q4: Legalize Recreational Marijuana

Re: Q4: Legalize Recreational Marijuana

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    According to multiple "credible" sources, legalization causes the prices to go way, way down. So, something interesting happens to weed after it’s legal - The Washington Post

Without government interference, there's no reason weed should cost any more than any other hearty crop, like tomatoes or corn....
    I did not see this in CA. Prices stayed relatively the same if not slightly more to cover the retail business expenses.
    That's because in CA, they didn't remove the government interference. They didn't legalize it for general consumption as a consumer product; it was legalized only for medical purposes, with a prescription, and (per standard CA practice) a bureaucratic nightmare was erected to control every aspect of the production and sales outlets, which made it just as expensive as before.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by PhilB; 10-28-16 at 01:30 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    I did miss the window to register because of work and some personal stuff, but I also didn't put too much effort because I wasn't educated enough on most topics. The school one still confuses the fuck out of me.
    As far as presidential elections, even if I was registered to vote I would sit that one out.
    A. Nothing about marijuana is "important" to the future of our nation.

B. I didn't think it through well, but you couldn't manage to get registered to vote because of work and personal stuff.

ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL RIGHTY THEN

p.s. if younger people sometimes wonder why politicians spend time pandering to the older voters, it's because the old farts vote, every time, all the time. The least you could have done was cancel out my misinformed vote with your better idea, but alas, it was inconvenient.

0 Not allowed!

This is on the Nov. 8th ballot here in Maine - legalization for recreational use. Our guv is unsurprisingly against it and spreading all kinds of misleading information about the extreme dangers of pot.

Call me crazy but I think we could do without about 90% of the laws we have already. As long as alcohol can be freely purchased at any corner store I can't take any argument against pot seriously. People should be responsible for the consequences of their actions, not monitored by a nanny government. Maybe people would actually learn some responsibility if they were actually treated like adults.

But that's neither here nor there, and an obvious over-simplification of a complicated situation.

The question isn't whether the state should "decide to allow it", the question is whether the state should continue to forbid it. The real problem is that there is a completely pointless law that violates a basic freedom to pursue a behavior which presents no significant threat to anybody else. Let's stop punishing people for harmless behavior.

LePage talks about trimming the fat, but from where I'm standing the system is obese with pointless laws and we need to start acting like the free nation of people that we are meant to be.

I've lost friends to drunk drivers, my cousin recently spent half a year in a wheelchair when a drunk driver hit him head on, I've seen friends and family member's lives devastated by alcohol... but people actually expect us to take any argument against pot seriously? Ha.

Honestly I won't be too upset either way the vote goes, I'm desensitized to the stupidity at this point. But the answer is pretty obvious, and ultimately anything that can help create opportunities for expanding our economy, creating new jobs, maybe ultimately lead to a profitable export for our state or attract more business... is a no-brainer.

2 Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Snort!

Something like 800,000 arrests per year.
    Something like HALF the drug related arrests are over pot.
    Although my favorite is the estimate that states spend over THREE BILION DOLLARS per year pissing into this particular wind.

Nope. Total non-issue. Not important at all.

7 Not allowed!

B. I didn't think it through well, but you couldn't manage to get registered to vote because of work and personal stuff.

ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL RIGHTY THEN

p.s. if younger people sometimes wonder why politicians spend time pandering to the older voters, it's because the old farts vote, every time, all the time. The least you could have done was cancel out my misinformed vote with your better idea, but alas, it was inconvenient.

Unfortunately you are a live proof of that. Vote just because you grew up in the culture of voting.
    The fact that you didn't know anything (or very little) about what you vote for OR that you consider it an unimportant subject is what is scary.
    Carry on with Your beliefs, my forum arguing days are dead and gone, I just hope next time you vote for something you understand it or sit out.

0 Not allowed!

That put me in my place. I grew in the culture of voting, I'm a bad American! I also grew up in the culture of "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." I also grew up in the culture of stand with your hand over your heart for the Pledge of Allegiance and put your phone down and take your hat off for the national anthem. Demographically, I'm a late stage baby-boomer who leans far closer to the Greatest Generation than X, Y, or millenials. Guilty as charged, how will I ever get to sleep tonight?

You didn't "sit it out" you didn't even get registered.

Didn't your ancestors invent democracy?

Asking me to sit it out because you think my opinion is uninformed is sort of the opposite of what democracy is supposed to be.

I vote my conscience, you vote yours, we figure out who wins and collectively try to make the best of it. Am I missing something?

0 Not allowed!

Democracy gives you the right to vote and makes your vote equal to everyone else's vote (each person regardless of income, education, etc gets one vote).
    However it is your responsibility as an individual to educate yourself and make best use of your vote.

With the rest of what you said I agree 100% we each vote whatever we want and support the outcome...

1 Not allowed!

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

The fact we arrest people for nonviolent possession of a harmless plant does impact the future of our nation.

The fact that Law Enforcement and our legal system (courts, judges, lawyers, etc) are incentivized to "fight the war on drugs" is an absolute threat to the future of America. We've already locked up an entire generation of young black men. That means kids growing up without fathers. That impacts the future of our country.

But if anything has been exposed in this election, it's that the old farts (white folk) who vote are woefully ignorant and racist and if it's not impacting their kin, it's not a problem.

6 Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    Maybe people would actually learn some responsibility if they were actually treated like adults.

The question isn't whether the state should "decide to allow it", the question is whether the state should continue to forbid it. The real problem is that there is a completely pointless law that violates a basic freedom to pursue a behavior which presents no significant threat to anybody else.
    Bingo. There's been this shift in discussing what the government should allow, when it should be the opposite. Is it bad enough to ban? The answer is obvious. And then people want to talk about 'no one takes personal responsibility anymore, no one acts like an adult' bla-bla-bla. Keep being a nanny and that's what you get.

2 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Didn't your ancestors invent democracy?
    Lay off, It's not going so well these days.

Am I missing something?
    Yes, your attitude is negating the validity of your original point. Returning to the original question in this thread, is it tough to work in higher education, what with all the potheads in the faculty and administration?

0 Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    Lay off, It's not going so well these days.

Yes, your attitude is negating the validity of your original point. Returning to the original question in this thread, is it tough to work in higher education, what with all the potheads in the faculty and administration?
    Yes, and it will not get better if they have easier and cheaper access.

The issue you bring up is a far bigger challenge than helping 95% of the students to learn and move toward their goals. Higher ed is still a soft landing place for those who could never be employable elsewhere and those of us who floated into it after a real career in business are stunned on a daily basis by what goes on...

0 Not allowed!

Higher ed is still a soft landing place for those who could never be employable elsewhere and those of us who floated into it after a real career in business
    You forgot a comma there! So, I'm guessing you don't have much fun at the annual retreats where you get in touch with your inner self.

Not that I would know, I wasn't in the above mentioned 95%.

0 Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    The fact we arrest people for nonviolent possession of a harmless plant does impact the future of our nation.

The fact that Law Enforcement and our legal system (courts, judges, lawyers, etc) are incentivized to "fight the war on drugs" is an absolute threat to the future of America. We've already locked up an entire generation of young black men. That means kids growing up without fathers. That impacts the future of our country.

But if anything has been exposed in this election, it's that the old farts (white folk) who vote are woefully ignorant and racist and if it's not impacting their kin, it's not a problem.
    If you believe that, then you and everyone else who agrees with you better start getting candidates to run, work for them and vote in every election to overwhelm our axis of evil.

How many candidates did the Occupy movement generate? How about the BLM movement? The "system" is changeable, but it is, and should be, hard work, not instant gratification.

Ironically, most of the young (< 30) candidates I see running in local and state rep type elections are more often old-school republicans wanting to bring that party back to its 1980's values and move away from the evangelicals, pro-lifeers and gun nuts who have commandeered the party and made every candidate's viability a three question litmus test. Where are the young, bright, progressive candidates?

0 Not allowed!

Got Colin VO running in NH. Also voted out 3 tenured city councilmen here in Waltham last election. Gains are being made, but it takes time. Occupy and BLM are well, lacking direction. The Berniecrats however, are coming...

0 Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

Got Colin VO running in NH. Also voted out 3 tenured city councilmen here in Waltham last election. Gains are being made, but it takes time. Occupy and BLM are well, lacking direction. The Berniecrats however, are coming...
    I didn't know that! That is progress and it's how America evolves. As much as it sometimes seems not to be so, most older people understand that power passes from them to the next generation and are willing to let it happen when that next generation starts approaching change in the system like grown ups.

0 Not allowed!

After the former generation totally fucks over the next generation by things like raiding social security, imprisioning those they deem subhuman, and instituting changes in the Nation Anthem to being religion to the fore of American Values.... Let alone devaluing the dollar and concentrating wealth at the top.... Sure, I guess... Q4: Legalize Recreational Marijuana

1 Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

You guys are being doo-doo heads.

0 Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Yes, your generation is the only one in the history of the world that will take the mantle from an imperfect preceding generation. My generation was the worst generation to ever inhabit the planet and are pretty much trying to kill the planet unless you wrestle it away from us and save it. Thank goodness you're all coming to our rescue, what would we ever do without you?

I can hardly wait until your generation has to make hard choices and ugly compromises in a messed up world and the generation behind you starts complaining. If my generation hasn't done a great job at being willing to make personal sacrifices for the greater good of society, perhaps our greatest sin was the way we raised our children to live and breath entitlement without contribution.

I'm glad I lived when I did and I'm sure you'll be glad when me and my ilk are no longer ruining the utopia you most certainly will create.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

I thought most of the olds had given up the 'herp derp, these young people and their txting' shit a rest. You could be making valid points, but you're just being an intolerably pretentious ass instead.

And I'm someone who complained endlessly about my own hate for people in my age bracket.

3 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

We had a concentration of wealth and destruction of rights already. Then we had Eisenhower and the growth of Unions. Sorry that your generation (perhaps not you specifically) completely erased the social progress made from 1950-70 and brought us back to serving corporate greed. The 80's to present have seen gross horrors committed behind closed doors in the name of wealth and greed. These are merely the facts. We are worse off now than we were 50 years ago on most economic metrics of personal wealth and buying power. All a result of calculated moved by the ruling class and big business.

All you need to look at is DAPL and the militarized (corporate backed) response to squash it. We are reliving our past in the worst ways.

The difference now is, young people have access to information they never had before. These transgressions won't endure. Concentration of wealth, cannot endure. We have seen it time and again throughout history.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by scottieducati; 10-28-16 at 04:27 PM.

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I thought most of the olds had given up the 'herp derp, these young people and their txting' shit a rest. You could be making valid points, but you're just being an intolerably pretentious ass instead.
    Agreed.

Wanting to make things better scares the elderly, it's change!
    But the sky isn't falling, either. I'm 44 and would argue the country has never been 'better'.

0 Not allowed!

Children today are the first generation in the history of America that will be less educated, earn less, and have less of a chance to own a home than their parents before them. This is fact. But yeah, things have never been better...

Read that again. For the first time in our country's history, the next generation has it worse than the first. So yes, we've had ups and downs, but the current generation in power is the first to not provide a better opportunity for their children.

Bra-fucking-vo.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by scottieducati; 10-28-16 at 04:30 PM.

CCS/LRRS #83

Children today are the first generation in the history of America that will be less educated, earn less, and have less of a chance to own a home than their parents before them. This is fact. But yeah, things have never been better...
    I tried a half-assed qualification of better wth the quotes..
    But anyway, your experiences and outlook may be much different than mine, I'm pretty optomistic about today and tomorrow.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post

And I'm someone who complained endlessly about my own hate for people in my age bracket.
    Thank you, my aim was accurate.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Democracy gives you the right to vote and makes your vote equal to everyone else's vote

you haven't been paying attention, not all votes are equal,

my vote in New Hampshire is worth more than your vote in Massachusetts,

while our votes are equal in some respects, smaller states (population wise) are represented disproportionately in the electoral college and in the Senate, as well as disproportionate representation regarding constitutional amendments

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject