Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Q4: Legalize Recreational Marijuana

Re: Q4: Legalize Recreational Marijuana

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    who cares if the potatoes are big or small, so long as they are bathed in cannabutter
    For the purposes of this thread, fine.

For the purposes of my life, see me in 17yrs. Hopefully less if this ever goes federal, but I'm not holding my breath.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by commuter View Post
    I'm a firm believer in the "Sin-Tax."
    Prohibition only feeds the BlackMarket ...
    High "Sin Taxes" also feed the black market. That's just Prohibition Lite. Currently, the good old Mafia (which was became powerful largely on the black market from alcohol prohibition) makes a huge amount of money smuggling cigarettes, due to the black market caused by high tobacco taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    And once again we circle back to the small potatoes issue of who gets taxed and how much and run straight past the fact that thousands of people are going to prison over this. Absurd!
    I think we all agreed that jailing people for pot is bad. Having reached that agreement, the discussion then goes to smaller issues we don't agree on.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Last edited by SteveM; 10-30-16 at 12:51 PM.

I don't recall knocking SteveM over his choice in this thread. Don't think I'm gunna. You have some valid concerns and I respect your democratic right to vote how you will based on those valid concerns.

Now Trump? That's a whole nuther story if some thinks there are virtually ANY validity to his merits.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I personally do not care for marijuana but I do find it funny how eager the supporters (the ones that are even registered to vote, that is) are to give even more power and money to the state. Giving them a golden ticket to do whatever they want in exchange for allowing the peasants to smoke their little plant (which they already do) is kind of a silly compromise in my eyes. I honestly think the current system of it being decriminalized is completely fine and how it should remain.

Assuming the law enables citizens to freely grow their own marijuana (similar to home brewing), I will vote yes.

Last edited by mickdaddy; 11-01-16 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    I personally do not care for marijuana but I do find it funny how eager the supporters (the ones that are even registered to vote, that is) are to give even more power and money to the state. Giving them a golden ticket to do whatever they want in exchange for allowing the peasants to smoke their little plant (which they already do) is kind of a silly compromise in my eyes. I honestly think the current system of it being decriminalized is completely fine and how it should remain.

Assuming the law enables citizens to freely grow their own marijuana (similar to home brewing), I will vote yes.
    You are complicit in the white mans plan to unjustly imprison young black men if you do not vote yes on this question.

Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post

Yes, the law does enable citizens to grow six plants, I think three can be flowering. This will produce more than a sufficient supply for the typical user.
    Say "GOODBYE and GOOD RIDDENS" to the Black Market, criminals, contaminated product, inconsistent supplies for specific effects, and say hello to a slightly increased electric bill. I think only indoor growing inside a locked room is included in the law. I read through it one time, don't remember the specific details.

Just voted yes on question 4, today.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I find this hilarious:
    The Archdiocese of Boston gave $850,000 to oppose the potweed
    LINK

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    I find this hilarious:
    The Archdiocese of Boston gave $850,000 to oppose the potweed
    LINK
    This is political activity and yet more evidence / reason why we need to tax churches and remove their charitable tax exempt status.

11 Not allowed! Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

Made it official tonight. Stopped on my way home from work and checked the "Yes" box.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    This is political activity and yet more evidence / reason why we need to tax churches and remove their charitable tax exempt status.
    This is a clear violation of the IRS tax code.
    Here's the PDF for the complaint form:
    https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f13909.pdf

Lifer

This is a clear violation of the IRS tax code.
    Here's the PDF for the complaint form:
    https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f13909.pdf
    Can you elaborate? What about their donation or speech is a violation? I don't like it, but I'm not sure it's against the rules either.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Can you elaborate? What about their donation or speech is a violation? I don't like it, but I'm not sure it's against the rules either.
    The speech is OK, but when you take tax free money and use it to tell people how to vote . . . well, I'm not so sure that's covered. For example, I believe they can say "don't smoke dope," but I don't believe they can say "vote NO on Question 4."
    They certainly can't support candidates.

They certainly can't support candidates.
    depends how they fire their non profit returns

501(c)3's cannot lobby, but 501(c)6's can lobby and support candidates

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

The Catholic Church is a 501c3.

BTW, Chalrlie Baker with Cardinal Sean O'Malley and a host of other religious leaders had a press conference on this yesterday.

Many of the local religious leaders were non-white. Are they also complicit in the unjust imprisonment of young black men for minor possession, or are they uncle Tom's who have been brainwashed by the white devil?

Perhaps they've seen the damage drugs do in their own communities and perhaps they understand the dynamic of their community and know that No on 4 is better for their communities?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Perhaps they've seen the damage drugs do in their own communities and perhaps they understand the dynamic of their community and know that No on 4 is better for their communities?
    Maybe they're protecting their investments. They don't have the best track record of doing what's right when it's up against what's best for the church.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

BTW, Chalrlie Baker with Cardinal Sean O'Malley and a host of other religious leaders had a press conference on this yesterday.

Many of the local religious leaders were non-white. Are they also complicit in the unjust imprisonment of young black men for minor possession, or are they uncle Tom's who have been brainwashed by the white devil?

You continually bring up the issue I pointed out as if it wasn't fact, which belittles the issue. No wonder Trump has brought so much ignorant racism to the fore with such underlying foundations of it present just about everywhere.

The "drug problem" in communities around Boston is heroin and other narcotics. It is not, nor has it ever been, related to weed. And as stated previously, marijuana is one of the few things that's been actually proven to help reduce rates of opiate abuse. So standing together against Q4 "for the children" holds about as much truth as a sieve holds water.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

Maybe your view on MJ is very skewed....... really, weed is in your community and I am sure family too and I am sure they are normal good people. So suck it up butter cup its not as Evil as you think it is...

maybe your 5.0....hmmmm

Then what is you explanation for the position taken by these clergy?

I'm a lot more realistic abut this than you might prejudge.

But I'm pointing out that there must be a reason for the position taken by this group.

There are two things being conflated here, weed and illegal weed as a tool for the unjust imprisonment of black males.

Weed isn't really that evil.

The legalization of weed will not cure the unjust imprisonment of black males.

So the statement that opposing legalization of weed = supporting the unjust imprisonment of black males is the nonsense I'm poking at.

You'd have to give an entire lecture on logic and fallacies - you can't play Socrates. They just think you're dumb and pig pile.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Weed isn't really that evil.
    Just curious, not at all trying to be douche... if you feel that way, why did you vote no?

Also, while I agree with your next statement, that legalizing weed won't cure unjust imprisonment, it will give the legal system one less way to unjustly imprison. It won't cure the problem, but it would certainly help it.

a. on balance it's current decriminalized status is fine by me, I don't thing it needs to be any easier.

b. the question is poorly written and regulations too far from being developed.

c. this is a battle of billionaires fighting to open access to a very lucrative market for them, not a fight to let the little guy grow a bit o' bud.

d. 100% of tax revenues should be set aside by statute for treatment and recovery programs.

We don't have to agree on any/all of these, but it is more than I hate weed, therefore others should not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    You'd have to give an entire lecture on logic and fallacies - you can't play Socrates. They just think you're OLD AND dumb and pig pile.
    FIF Myself !