Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

School Me: Weddings

Re: School Me: Weddings

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    I would have thought playlists would kill djs.
    Any dj that uses that cheeseball voice needs to be put out of business by playlists.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Looks like I'll be paying more attention to this thread soon. Ring is off to be resized and we're off to Key West next week.

3 Not allowed!

Lifer

So, one of u said don’t cheap out on a photographer... and we didn’t. I really just wanted to have a friend do it but my better half went ahead and booked someone.

Now... djs.... I literally am shocked that djs even exist with all the iPod and similar stuff out there. I dunno what I thought we were going to do, but make a huge play list and mute it when necessary seems fine to me.

AND.... as I’m sure non of u would be shocked, I am an uptight cunt who hates attention (yes I realize weddings are primarily for her and that most eyes will be on her) but I am PRAYING for a little of the traditional stuff as possible... announcement as bride and groom, first dance, etc...... so I really don’t think we need a dj to be our court jester and keep she moving....

.... but then I was somewhere that had a wedding going on and I could hear the music and it went from one catchy hit, right into Michael Jackson... right into something else.... and I was like, ooooooooohhhhh..... the fluidity of setting the mood!

Maybe a pause between each song on a playlist would be super awkward!?

So now I don’t know what to do.

Is there a way or a device to make a playlist blend into itself, or dm I have to suck it up and hire someone?

0 Not allowed!

I have attended a wedding without a DJ. It ended up with the inner friend group putting on what they wanted with no rhyme or reason. They had a blast. I was slightly outside of the inner circle and it kinda sucked. Without someone in-charge of music, I think you risk a lot going to hell. My $0.02.

0 Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I have attended a wedding without a DJ. It ended up with the inner friend group putting on what they wanted with no rhyme or reason. They had a blast. I was slightly outside of the inner circle and it kinda sucked. Without someone in-charge of music, I think you risk a lot going to hell. My $0.02.
    Yeah I hear you on that, and I def have music taste not fit for a wedding and relatives.... but I dunno.

0 Not allowed!

I’ve married twice now. Paid for a dj once. Playlist the second.
    Dj was a waste. Easy pass.
    I hate attention too.
    Food and photos are where I’d spend my money. And booze I suppose

0 Not allowed!

Fuck a dj.
    Have all the guests put their requests in ahead of time, and compile a playlist off that. That way you can weed out the chicken dance and anything ridiculous, and everyone else gets to hear what they want.
    Just make sure that playlist starts at dancing time, and not during the cocktail hour or dinner.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Chippertheripper; 06-06-19 at 08:49 AM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

My DJ was a flop a couple weeks ago. Skipped one of the playlists we spent a lot of time putting together. Wasn't ready to introduce the bridal party so told him to scrap it and just introduce us but he didn't believe that was coming from us and told three different people I told to tell him "Just one minute" until I told someone to tell him if he didn't introduce us at that very moment he was fired.

Wasn't thrilled with him, but going into it I knew the DJ would be the hardest part. It was good enough. The rest of the wedding was fantastic, and we're starting to see pictures and the two we've seen so far are amazing.

As for how it would have been to not have one, you don't want to even think about what's going on with music etc. I would suggest getting one, but you want one who's on top of everything and will be as out of the way as possible.

0 Not allowed!

I dunno, every wedding I've been to that didn't have live music, was missing something. live music connects with the audience

most recently, I attended a wedding at a mountain top venue with Adam Ezra Group, but at my wedding, 37 years ago, I had live music, a rock band that played the local clubs

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

If the DJ is some 57 year old guy named "Ron" who has a nice little 3x5 enclosed trailer to haul his gear around and calls his wife "hun," skip it and do a playlist.

If the DJ is like my buddy who spins vinyl and pumps killer dance beats all night without even a hint of the chicken dance, absolutely do that. A good DJ can absolutely take a party to the next level. (If you want his contact info, let me know.) We were going to have him at our wedding in Mexico, but the resort was going to charge us absurd fees for using an outside vendor. We went for a playlist, which we enlisted the wedding party to help build (shared Spotify list.) We set separate lists for cocktail hour, dinner, and the party. Went off without a hitch.

2 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

We did both. But the DJ had a strict list of songs he was to stick to. It was 20+ years ago, so digital selections weren't quite THEE thing. So we picked a shitload of songs/artists and required that he stick to those. None of those silly-ass wedding songs.

We only had him for 3-4 hours. Once he skedaddled, we had a local band come in and set-up. Those fuckers played for SIX hours even though we hired them for 4. It was awesome!

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

A Looooooong time ago, when my friends and I were all getting out of college and some started getting married... we DJ'd for each other to save money. We all knew each others favorite types of music.

Do you have any friends who can run a couple of laptops/ipods and run through a playlist?

0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    We did both. But the DJ had a strict list of songs he was to stick to. It was 20+ years ago, so digital selections weren't quite THEE thing. So we picked a shitload of songs/artists and required that he stick to those. None of those silly-ass wedding songs.

We only had him for 3-4 hours. Once he skedaddled, we had a local band come in and set-up. Those fuckers played for SIX hours even though we hired them for 4. It was awesome!
    the band I had, wouldn't take any $$$ from me, said the gig was my wedding present, maybe cause I had open bar, we had crashers too

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    the band I had, wouldn't take any $$$ from me, said the gig was my wedding present, maybe cause I had open bar, we had crashers too
    We too had an open bar. Maybe that's why they played all night!

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

As horrifying as the thought is, I really want to do an open bar for the whole night. She wants to do it for a cocktail hour or whatever.

What was your open bar tab and for how many people?

0 Not allowed!

As horrifying as the thought is, I really want to do an open bar for the whole night. She wants to do it for a cocktail hour or whatever.

We hired a bartender and stocked our own on his suggestion. What started out as a small wedding turned into almost 200 people. My mother got it so out of hand, we were *THIS* close to eloping, going to Vegas and getting married by Elvis. In fact, this past September we did just that to celebrate our 20th!

And honestly, I couldn't possibly remember how much we spent on the boozes & beer. We kept it open all night. It even got ransacked by my wife's aunt when we had all gone for the night. Went back to clean up the yard it was in only to learn that drunken old Aunt Sue had helped herself to the remaining stock. LOL! But being in NH, you can bet it was a helluvalot cheaper than most states that border us.

0 Not allowed!

They venue we picked, it isn't much more per person to have an open bar with 3 bartenders all night. They're gonna regret that.

0 Not allowed!

I will give advice to perspective grooms RE: you level of consumption on the night of your wedding.

1.) You need to not ruin that day. I have a tendency to ruin things when I over indulge.

2.) You need to be able to perform on your wedding night. Of my 5 groomsmen, 4 reported they were not able to perform and all of them regretted it. The 5th had not been married yet. *I* on the other hand, hearing this information before the ceremony, resolved to not let this happen to me. If you want to know the best place to start your honeymoon, the correct answer is "Poundtown."

0 Not allowed!

Or "periodlane" in my case lol.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
    Or "periodlane" in my case lol.

Why have a sword if you never get it bloody?

1 Not allowed!

ours was backyard outdoors about 150-175 (we had crashers) we had 3 half kegs + "party punch" and a few handles, but nobody really got into the handles, mostly beer and party punch, it was red, so maybe a base of Hawaiian punch, plenty of vodka, rum, tequila & whiskey, other fruit juices, and slices of citrus..... sweet, and could really sneak up on ya, I don't think we spent over $250 total, certainly was cost effective, we hauled in more than double that on the dollar dance

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

We ran the math the other way. For us the open bar didn't bring enough to the table. We have enough non-drinkers and lightweights in the mix that just buying a limited supply was more cost effective.
    But it sure as hell wasn't a cash bar. Drinks on me, yo.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    They venue we picked, it isn't much more per person to have an open bar with 3 bartenders all night. They're gonna regret that.
    the "venue" we picked allowed us to buy alcohol and bring our own bartender! Clutch lol

We did playlist for the 55 guests. For the "real" wedding in Greece we are doing live music and DJ but they are much cheaper than here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    I will give advice to perspective grooms RE: you level of consumption on the night of your wedding.

1.) You need to not ruin that day. I have a tendency to ruin things when I over indulge.

2.) You need to be able to perform on your wedding night. Of my 5 groomsmen, 4 reported they were not able to perform and all of them regretted it. The 5th had not been married yet. *I* on the other hand, hearing this information before the ceremony, resolved to not let this happen to me. If you want to know the best place to start your honeymoon, the correct answer is "Poundtown."
    this got me rolling on the floor. BRUH

0 Not allowed!

I did the leap of faith on May 17th.

When she asked what I wanted for a wedding, my response was to fly our parents and siblings out to Hawaii for the week, get married at the lagoon that was in a picture at my grandfather's house (taken on the vacation he and my grandmother took many moons ago).

What I ended up with was 120+ people, a church, a reception, a DJ, a photographer, a happy hour for the guests.....pretty much everything that I did not want or care for.

So, knowing that my bride-to-be was suddenly deaf, I went all in because she was incapable of understanding my side of things. We took dance lessons for our first dance, talked with the reverend at the church, beautiful flowers from a florist, prime rib or chicken marsala and on and on.

I did not exactly have fun at the reception. It was never designed for my full enjoyment. I mean, in the moment it was fun-ish but there was a lot of demand for me to be certain places at certain times. By the time I felt "free", there was an hour and 15 minutes left in the evening. I did all these things because of one quote that struck a chord with me...."Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own" - Robert A. Heinlein

Now that we're in the hindsight stage, she quickly realized that everything I was saying during the entire planning phase came true. She completely lost sight of what I wanted out of the day and well....too late now!

That all said, the hired help were absolutely phenomenal and experts in their craft.

Tom Gibbons photography (Ramzi was our camera guy)
    Main Event for the DJ (Tim B)
    Zorvino's for the reception (Denise and the Zorvino crew)

All I can say is, I am glad this is happening only once because I never, ever want to do that again!

Oh and...GOOD LUCK!

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by butcher bergs; 06-06-19 at 06:08 PM.

The wedding day is her day. Not the couples day. Look at the example above.

0 Not allowed!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast