Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smoking Pot vs. Riding in T-shirts & shorts

Lifer

Saw this brought up in another thread...

Just wanted to comment on the difference...

1) Smoking pot or tobacco is putting cumulative damage on your system. Keep doing it and you WILL eventually get sick and/or die from it

2) Riding around like a squid does not cause cumulative damage or cumulative risk. Each time you safely get home you have cheated fate and that ride will never effect the rest of your life. Every ride is its own unique risk..

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

life has a 100% fatality rate.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Show me the case study and research that brought you to the "pot smoking WILL kill you" conclusion.

LRRS#167

Re: Re: Smoking Pot vs. Riding in T-shirts & shorts

Originally posted by Mr. E. Squid
    as if you don't cheat fate anytime you get home from a bike ride anyway.

As if you don't cheat fate every time you wake up in the mornin

Personal choices. I ain't got no problem with anyone who chooses to ride in a bathing suit, flipflops, and no helmet. Their choice. They die, they also knew the risks.

Ditto for smoking pot, or tobacco.

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Smoking Pot vs. Riding in T-shirts & shorts

Too bad you started getting into personal decisions that have an effect upon others who might not appreciate it.
    What effect?

Your life is yours! Wanna take a chance and ride like a squid in squid gear, fine your choice. Wanna smoke a joint a day, and get cancer, great, your choice. Wanna smoke a pack a day of cigs and get cancer/die, great your choice.

Whats the difference?

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Lifer

Wow.. guess this was trolling.

Everyone missed the point and went off on how dangerous pot is, etc...

All I was saying was it is a comparison of cumulative risk vs. non cumulative risk.

The risk of drugs, alcohol, etc.. adds up as the chemicals & tissue damage accumulate in your body.

The risks associated with riding do not add up. Each ride is it's own discreet risk. A ride that does not end in a crash causes no damage at all.

I wasn't even making a value judgement or saying one is better than the other, just that they are different.

It's like using a condom that is 99.9% effective.

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

Exactly HOW does my "stoned ass" put the public at risk? In what bizarro world do you live? I don't drive my car stoned, I don't ride my bike stoned, in fact I don't do ANYTHING stoned that could even vaguely put YOU (or anyone else) at risk... Unless you consider watching movies and playing video games putting you at risk...

I smoke cigarettes in my own home, since I can't in restaurants any more but I'm all for that, but how does my "second hand" smoke (which btw is only present in my own home, since I don't smoke in public confined spaces) put anyone else at risk?

The things I do when stoned or drunk have the POTENTIAL to cause someone else harm, only if I CHOOSE to engage in those type of activities that could cause someone else harm. (and there are already laws on the books to punish me if I do).

Name one thing >I< do when stoned or drunk that puts you or anyone else at risk? See the idea of penalizing the entire population because there is a MINORITY that can't handle the responsibility doesn't sound like freedom to me. If you walk that slippery slope, why not ban driving, riding motorcycles?

Originally posted by benVFR
    The risks associated with riding do not add up. Each ride is it's own discreet risk. A ride that does not end in a crash causes no damage at all.

I wasn't even making a value judgement or saying one is better than the other, just that they are different.
    Didn't miss the point at all. I got the point, its just that the point doesn't really add any value since the risks of riding do indeed add up when you consider the fact that if you were to stop riding, you'd immediately end the risk associated with riding, and the more you ride (on pure probability) the more likely you are to get into an accident at some point. While the risks aren't directly physically cumulative, they are cumulative in a probalistic sense.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Smoking Pot vs. Riding in T-shirts & shorts

I knew there was some rage building behind that sarcastic demenor.

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

How can the population trust that hohum won't drive stoned, or drunk, or anything else that might turn that potential into harm upon others?

It can't.
    How can the population trust that Mr. E. Squid won't hop on his motorcycle and ride at 120 MPH up Rt. 3, and potentialy crash into another vehicle and potentially harming the driver of that vehicle?

It can't.

That very same mechanism is ultimately responsible for the abolishment of smoking in public areas/restaurants. Ask yourself what that REALLY means, and the implications thereof.
    Banning smoking in public areas/restaurants revolved around the health risk to others in that public space. I agree with banning smoking in restaurants (as much as I don't like it), it makes sense because there was an actual harm being perpertrated on others. What that really means is that smoking is dangerous to others IN THE CONTEXT OF a public enclosed space.

as for banning driving, motorcycles, and whatever else, they are in a different class altogether! They do not chemically alter your motorskills and judgment! Dude, it's PROVEN that pot and alcohol have effects upon motorskills and judgment. That's just plain fact.
    See, they aren't in a different class, it depends on how you draw the lines seperating the classes. The class definition you seem to be relying upon for your argument is: The class of things that could be dangerous to others within certain contexts. Pot and Alcohol do have effects upon motorskills and judgement, I don't deny you that (thats what intoxication is all about). The clarification comes when the choice is made to do something while intoxicated which could harm someone else. And if that choice is made, then go ahead, prosecute away

Again, alcohol is a great example about how it's impossible for society to be responsible, and reduce infringment upon others without LAW.
    Do you think drunk driving would go away if we banned alcohol all together? The logic doesn't play out. The way to regulate and legislate is to punish those who make the choice to do endanger others, not to punish everyone because someone might endanger others.

I've heard you're looking to get into law school Chris, I fail to believe you can't see any of the logic behind this.
    Already got into law school, deferred admission, start next year, and yest the logic fails me because it completely neglects the personal choice factor of the equation.

Looking at your sig, Joe, what do chicks wish? That you'd go away?

ZING!

I have nothing noteworthy to contribute to this discussion.

Yup.

Yes. And to say that logic doesn't play out, tell me how it doesn't. By making it fully illegal, do you not think law abiding citizens are NOT going to put down their drinks?
    The history of prohibition tells us that they won't put down their drinks. I see your points, trust me I do, but I also understand that no matter what the law is, intoxication and the desire for people to become intoxicated is not going to go away. People still buy and sell liquor in Saudi with a possible death penalty. The intoxication urge is a powerful one which we can't legislate away. All we can do, in the best case, is severly punish those who harm others while intoxicated.

On the one hand, I'd give you best chances of anyone here in making it, on the other, if you can't see that society cannot be held responsible without some sort of law, and YOU can't be trusted to make the right choice, I don't know what to tell you. I suspect you simply don't WANT to see it because it would undermine your entire argument.

right bemus?
    I fully agree that there needs to be some sort of law to hold society responsible, but that law needs to be based upon the specific choices that put others in danger. (ie the choice to drive after getting drunk rather than the choice to get drunk in the first place). We can never trust people to make the right choices, the choices that won't harm others. As a result, my personal belief is rather than limiting the many in order to deal with the few, the best course of action is to severly punish the few who endanger others.

Originally posted by benVFR

The risk of drugs, alcohol, etc.. adds up as the chemicals & tissue damage accumulate in your body.

point.... counter point...

every time you get home safe from a ride... you have potentially accumulatedrisk for your next ride. It may not be in the form of damaged cells (physical) but more a mental accumulation. Each time you get home safely, having worn whatever for gear and did well and perhaps enjoyed a thrill or two you may get that much more comfy with your riding style and that much closer to pushing yourself beyond your limits on the next ride.

(of course devils advocate could say each time you get home safely after having pushed the envelope, you have become that much better a rider and actually reduced risk for your next ride as well, but we wont go down that road at this time)

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

SMOKE POT EVERYWHERE YOU GO, IT MAKES IT COOLER

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

Sure, some people won't put down their drinks. I agree, but why don't you tell me how the harm wouldn't be lessened? After all, the majority of people are inclined to obey the law. If they didn't, obviously, law is useless. So, if poeple, in nature, are inclined to obey the law, tell me how "harm" would not decreae?
    See, when it comes to intoxication, people aren't inclined to obey the law, normally law abiding or not. The history of prohibition tells us that not only will most people not put down their drinks, but more people will drink. Not only that, but the history shows us that the harm will be increased because of an increase of users as well as a decrease in quality (a black market product vs a legal product)

Intoxication is a very special case, people for all of human history have sought out intoxicants, and no law changes that...

GIVE ME MY INTOXICANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

Originally posted by bentbryan
    GIVE ME MY INTOXICANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hell, give him MY intoxicants, too!

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

Originally posted by bemused
    hell, give him MY intoxicants, too!
    No way, no how! I'm a gonna force you to ingest YOUR intoxicants

Originally posted by hohum
    No way, no how! I'm a gonna force you to ingest YOUR intoxicants
    'cuz... my refusal to ingest them harms the majority, eh?

jeff f
    '97 RF900R

'cuz... my refusal to ingest them harms the majority, eh?

EVERYONE MUST AGREE WITH ME AND ACT LIKE ME THAT IS WHY!

Originally posted by hohum
    EVERYONE MUST AGREE WITH ME AND ACT LIKE ME THAT IS WHY!

"WHATEVER IS NOT FORBIDDEN IS MANDATORY!"

jeff f
    '97 RF900R

"WHATEVER IS NOT FORBIDDEN IS MANDATORY!"

I Dance With Will

what's the point of disecting the potentail risk again?

die slow(lung cancer) vs die quick?

as far as the hohum and squid argument, sounded like the argument is about how much to reduce the risk to population.

"fuckit!"

Lifer

The thread has been thoroughly bastardized Kham..

Don't waste your time trying to understand it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast