Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Smoking Pot vs. Riding in T-shirts & shorts

Originally posted by Kham
    what's the point of disecting the potentail risk again?

die slow(lung cancer) vs die quick?

as far as the hohum and squid argument, sounded like the argument is about how much to reduce the risk to population.
    Actually, the best way to sum up the argument is:

the squid believes in preemptively trying to reduce the risk by saying certain things shouldn't be legal even though some (or even the majority of) people can do them responsibly.

I think the best way to reduce the risk is to severely punish those that don't do certain things responsibly, and those that can be responsible are free to go on their merry way.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

Originally posted by oreo_n2
    point.... counter point...

every time you get home safe from a ride... you have potentially accumulatedrisk for your next ride. It may not be in the form of damaged cells (physical) but more a mental accumulation. Each time you get home safely, having worn whatever for gear and did well and perhaps enjoyed a thrill or two you may get that much more comfy with your riding style and that much closer to pushing yourself beyond your limits on the next ride.

(of course devils advocate could say each time you get home safely after having pushed the envelope, you have become that much better a rider and actually reduced risk for your next ride as well, but we wont go down that road at this time)
    I'm kinda surprised nobody but you brought this up, cookie-bitch... yer smarter than you look

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

Originally posted by hohum
    Didn't miss the point at all. I got the point, its just that the point doesn't really add any value since the risks of riding do indeed add up when you consider the fact that if you were to stop riding, you'd immediately end the risk associated with riding, and the more you ride (on pure probability) the more likely you are to get into an accident at some point. While the risks aren't directly physically cumulative, they are cumulative in a probalistic sense.
    Ummmm 'see above'

I think I made that point much earlier

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Originally posted by Mr. E. Squid
    Most people are inclined to obey the law. If they didn't, obviously, the law is useless.
    if people were inclined to follow the law, we wouldn't need punishments, or enforcement.

Originally posted by bemused
    I'm kinda surprised nobody but you brought this up, cookie-bitch... yer smarter than you look
    that ain't hard.

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

Really, the more I debate with you on this, the more I see that you really don't want to give any credence simply because it's a hobby YOU enjoy, and you seem to be responsible with it, so why can't anyone else.
    (edited because I'm not bored enough to go this road again... )

have a nice pillow fight!

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

I fully disagree on your presumption, and almost can't believe the audacity of it. The law is their deterrent to intoxication. Most people are inclined to obey the law. If they didn't, obviously, the law is useless. What it boils down to is how far is the average person willing to go to get intoxicated if it were completely illegal? Obviously, LESS, than if it were legal.

Nope. Do you actually think for a moment, that let's say, alcohol related deaths were GREATER during prohibition? Which is, of course, directly related to the number of people who drink? I think not.

I challenge increased usage during prohibition on all levels. Let's see the true data that makes it unequivocally clear that prohibition directly caused an increase in the number of people who drank.
    See, here's the problem. I have all kinds of numbers and facts on this issue. Books and books and books have been written about it, and I could literally fill this forum with hundreds of references, all of which you would completely write off as liberal schlock, but the data is there. The consumption of alcohol in both dollars spent and gallons produced both went way up during that period.

Why was prohibition a failure then? Do you think it was a success? Seriously, I think we should all be able to agree that prohibition was a failure if you really look at the numbers. Yes, I do think alcohol related deaths were greater during prohibition, in fact I KNOW it based upon good facts about the number of alcohol related deaths during that period. Do you think alcohol was actually safer when made in backyard stills than in tightly controlled production facilities with sanitation standards?

Really, the more I debate with you on this, the more I see that you really don't want to give any credence simply because it's a hobby YOU enjoy, and you seem to be responsible with it, so why can't anyone else.
    I don't want to give any credence because the facts and the history disagree with what you state. Not just prohibition history, but the history of thousands of years of humans seeking to become intoxicated.

"severly punish"

yeah, AFTER the fact.... that "after the fact" is the price you pay for placing faith within society.

The price you have paid everytime your sitting at the bar having a cold one, is the pile of bodies of all the people that have been killed as a result of that very drink you hold in your hand. No one wants to think of it like that, because it just feels to good (at least for some) to get buzzed.

It soooo makes it clear why you hate Bush so much.
    Yes it does, because I believe in "innocent until proven guilty"!

But once proven guilty, fry em!

Believe what you like Chris, it's obvious that YOU think you have all the facts, properly interpreted to whatever degree to support your anti-pre-emptive position.

If that were the case, do you really think for a moment that you're the ONLY one (or one of some sort of select group) who knows the absolute truth based on numbers, facts, figures, historical data, etc.? Yet for whatever reason, not enough people have come to your conclusion, throughout all these years, to agree with you on your position thus, ultimatley allowing such activities to be legal? C'mon, think outside your personal belief.
    No, I don't think I am the only one in the slightest. I understand that sometimes its just so much easier to legislate on a pre-emptive basis. I fully grasp the expediency of the preemtive position, its by far the 'easiest', but the 'easiest' doesn't necessarily make it the best...

This is my "perfect world" argument. Its not reality and I realize this.

Within this respect, not only is the pre-emptive basis the easiest, but IMO, far less costly than dealing with the aftermath (and yeah, I know there's a complete contingency who argue up and down how it costs more to keep pot illegal). The health problems, the social problems, the fatalities, etc., etc., etc., all the "post" measures opposed to the "pre".....
    Yes, easier is usually less costly. Thats an entirely arguable point and if we ever try the legalization route, maybe we can figure out if indeed one way is less costly than the other...

Its just a matter of whether the expedient way is the most just way, and whether or not that matters...

heh, concede me my rose colored glasses and i'll concede you your expediency

Originally posted by twrayinma
    that ain't hard.
    why dont you go launch a hamster outta yer ass!

Chicken Fucker!

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Originally posted by oreo_n2
    why dont you go launch a hamster outta yer ass!
    cuz you're not here to insert it, loverboy.

I really enjoyed reading this argument. It is especially interesting after enjoying a "smoky treat".

LRRS#167

*cough* *HACK!* aggghem!

quit bogartin' that joint fucker!

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

puff puff give mother fucker!

your fucking up the rotation.

oh ... T...

chickenefferdidjaknockherupyet?

Last edited by oreo_n2; 11-04-04 at 11:13 PM.
    Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

if you only... really... knew.

beware teh trash cans that were scary on dr who!

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

drunk.

check!

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

r u drunk or high at the moment?