Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Steroids? Follow the NFL.

Steroids? Follow the NFL

By Cris Collinsworth
    Special to NFL.com

(Dec. 10, 2004) -- We have reached a very significant moment in time when it comes to the issue of steroids in sports. Major League Baseball, like other sports, has finally had to admit that it has a major problem when it comes to the steroid issue. The credibility of the game is now being placed for judgment before the American people. Will baseball continue down the road to recovery by implementing a strong steroid policy like that of the NFL, or will the league try to cover up, deny the problem exists and watch as fans like me turn our backs on the game?

Due to recent revelations concerning steroids, I no longer believe that it is just a player's natural gift and hard work that wins baseball games and allows players to set records. I no longer believe the homerun records established by greats like Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth are legitimately being challenged. I now believe that steroid cheaters have taken over the game and have stolen headlines from legitimate athletes. And what really infuriates me is that I no longer know who is legitimate, and who is cheating. The time for action is now.

The world is watching.

The NFL, through its Players Association, decided that steroid cheating should not be allowed in our game. As a player, I never cared if I played against someone who was high on alcohol or illegal drugs, because that gave me the advantage. However, we must finally admit that those players using steroids have a short-term advantage over the rest of us. Players on steroids apparently are faster, stronger, can jump higher, and recover more quickly than the players not using steroids. Thus, they can play better, longer, and make more money than players not using steroids.

In baseball, some players cheat by corking their bats, while others cheat by corking their bodies with steroids. What has been amazing is that "clean" players within the baseball players union have allowed steroid users to cheat against them for all these years. I guess the psychological damage of giving up a long homerun to a steroid enhanced hitter or striking out against a pitcher who is "juiced" on steroids is not as bad as getting physically beaten in football by one of these monsters. But football players got fed up with this type of cheating long ago.

Legitimate steroid testing has been a part of the NFL for almost 20 years now. It has been such because players insisted that it be a part of our game. I am not na´ve enough to think that all steroid cheating has been eliminated in football. However, I do believe the NFL has eliminated the true tragedy of steroids -- players who do not want to use steroids, but feel compelled to use them to remain competitive. I am not sure that is the case in baseball.

Major League Baseball's players union has become one of the most powerful unions in sports. Its leadership is tough and I realize that collective bargaining typically involves the players only giving up some right if they get something in return. That makes changing the steroid policy a tough proposition for the union's leadership. It is now being asked to capitulate on an issue without something of value being offered to the players in return. I would argue that something of great value is being returned to the players -- their legitimacy and their game.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

Lifer

The NFL is doing slightly better than MLB but the players are still doped to the gills, there testing program is a freakin joke..

If it were a "real" program you'd see guys getting huge suspensions left and right, no way I believe the NFL players are so huge without drugs.

I follow the drug stories way more than most people since I follow bicycling which is an incredibly drug-ridden sport but it also has some of the toughest testing.

E.x.. Tyler Hamilton got caught this fall for blood doping... he had been tested 48 times previously in and out of competition... AFAIK the NFL is not testing anywhere near that much.

The way the NFL works it should just about be a test every week for every player in season, and one test/month in the off season, if they were to actually want to catch people.

And on top of that there is so much $$ in the NFL that I believe they all have the money for their own designer steroid compounds to stay one step ahead of the testers.

I also think John McCain is on the right track, I would like to see these drugs moved up to controlled substances like Marijuana and Cocaine, and I would like to see some of the athletes who get caught thrown in jail. Good enough for the Belgians and Italians, good enough for us.

Why am I so interested in this? Cause I have to seriously wonder if I've competed against people who were cheating with drugs... I don't have the $$ to use them and I shouldn't have to.

Lifer

Here is a link to the transcript from 20/20s interview with Victor Conte from BALCO a week or two ago...

Pretty daming evidence and I totally believe him that he could fool the NFL and MLB with one hand tied behind his back if he was able to fool the IOC, USADA, WADA, etc.. for years.

20/20 link

Originally posted by benVFR
    The NFL is doing slightly better than MLB but the players are still doped to the gills, there testing program is a freakin joke..
    I disagree. Everyweek, on each NFL team, either 4 or 6 players choosen randomly thru SS #'s or something are tested. You're not going to test every player every week, that's just not feasible. And the penalties are quite large, get caught once smoking pot and you're out for 4 games. That's 1/4 of their year right there (with NO pay), get caught again and you're out for a year I believe.

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

Pretty daming evidence and I totally believe him that he could fool the NFL and MLB with one hand tied behind his back if he was able to fool the IOC, USADA, WADA, etc.. for years.

Hardly. Because he 'said so'? Far far far from 'evidence'. I'm not saying that there's no drug problem in professional sports, but this swinging dick has something to sell. Nice guy too, mixing up drugs for these athletes, then selling them up the river? Scumbag rat. Nothing more, but prolly MUCH less.

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

I'm not following closely, but what I get is the steriod in question was a prescription that the player was unaware of it's contents.

Is that true?

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

I believe so....Bonds made that claim I guess?

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

The reason I bring it up is because I've been using a prescription for ten years, a skin ointment, that contains a steriod (.001% I think).

I did not know this until recently.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Lifer

Bryan,

IMO an acceptable punishment for failing a drug test is not 1-2 games, it is 1-2 seasons.

A 1-2 game suspension is not going to motivate these players to stop taking the drugs when they are making a gazillion dollars.

I really feel like the NFL is just playing lip service to President Bush, issue a press release, "We are taking care of it" and then just sweep it under the rug.

Hell I mentioned Tyler Hamilton in cycling... his team was basically just kicked out of the "elite division" for next year. They won't be able to compete in any of the big races... that is an appropriate penalty. (Of course cycling has had a lot more people die from these drugs than the NFL)

Lifer

The other funny thing is most of what you hear about with the NFL is Marijuana violations... most other sports don't even ban that stuff *out* of competition as they are not performance enhancing.

Bust a few people for pot once a year and then everyone will ignore the 300lb 5% bodyfat guys that make up most of the league.

Originally posted by legalspeed
    The reason I bring it up is because I've been using a prescription for ten years, a skin ointment, that contains a steriod (.001% I think).

I did not know this until recently.
    Uh-oh! How many points did you accumulate at LRRS?! And all the while we thought you weren't cheating!!!!

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

I really feel like the NFL is just playing lip service to President Bush, issue a press release, "We are taking care of it" and then just sweep it under the rug.
    Did you mean MLB instead right there? I thought the NFL and steroids was old news.

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

Lifer

No I meant the NFL...

They never catch anyone... so you either believe the players are clean, or you believe they really aren't trying....

Know any guys personally who are as big, fast, and lean as NFL players, and can recover as quickly as they can, and you know they are clean?

I am taking the cynical view on the NFL based on what is going on in other sports, you are taking the positive view...

Glass half full vs. Glass half empty, etc..

I can't even find out exactly what the NFLs program entails. Either it isn't public or it is hidden pretty well. You can find the olympic, USADA, WADA, etc.. rulebooks online.

E.x. I know what drugs I can't take if I bicycle.. and it is a lot longer list than "70" banned substances like the NFL press release says... hell there are probably 70 different variants of steroids alone on the list we have.

Hell I even found the doping regulations for MotoGP just now when I looked.

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.