Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 201 of 201 FirstFirst ... 121161181191192193194195196197198199200201
Results 5,001 to 5,024 of 5024

Trump

Re: Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Of course they do. Some shitty American band circa 2004? That’s right in line, and so is the fashion of that era.
    Coming from the "surf music" guy? Seriously?

0 Not allowed!
    Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100 hideous fucking kawi green
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1109 black

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Snake View Post
    Coming from the "surf music" guy? Seriously?

I’m not a surf music guy, I just played it.
    But there’s a difference between retro and dated, if you smell what I’m stepping in.

I’m not a surf music guy, I just played it.
    But there’s a difference between retro and dated, if you smell what I’m stepping in.

1 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    Can we Boot the Bot???
    And remember Trump is Winning.... At lying, Racism , Bigotry, Subverting the constitution. Degrading the Free press, The maligning of the justice Dept. FBI. and trying to kill NATO. Making friends with a ruthless dictators. Saying a lot but accomplishing nothing other then the above.. Spending our tax dollars on golf and travel and making money for himself and his family... lets see what else??? till next time....
    Hey mizz warren on a motorcycle. take off your pink hat and grow a set of raisins

Howie Carr: Kennedys are Hyannisport hypocrites when it comes to racial, ethnic diversity | Boston Herald

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Rambunctous; 07-08-18 at 11:49 AM.
    May the road rise to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, May the sun shine warm upon your face.

Thou hast speaketh his name and he shows up WITH A HOWIE CARR LINK.
    Unreal.

1 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    Hey mizz warren on a motorcycle. take off your pink hat and grow a set of raisins

Howie Carr: Kennedys are Hyannisport hypocrites when it comes to racial, ethnic diversity | Boston Herald
    That article is fascinatingly terrible. Maybe Ethel is the shitty person he's claiming, but it's hard to believe when it's presented in a format that's one step away from a tabloid.

While the author is implying the Kennedy family have a bigoted history, it closes with a question posed from the author: “Mrs. Kennedy, you got a lot of room down there at the compound — how many illegal MS-13 gangbangers, future fentanyl dealers and the next generation of Tsarnaev ‘asylees’ can we put you down for taking in and supporting until they get jobs, which will be never? One hundred? Two hundred? A thousand?” And I'm not sure it's too much of a reach to say the author is implying immigrants are all bad people. I don't get the point of the article. Is Howie supporting racism, and asking that the Kennedy family stop hiding theirs?

1 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post

Not sure why every time the trumpers get prissy they start insulting your man hood? Not a Warren fan nor do I consider myself without raisins? Please feel free to state your views. without an attachment that's well a tad over the top...

1 Not allowed!

He can’t post his view today, Fox and Friends isn’t on until tomorrow.

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1986 Honda Oldwing Medicaide
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Thou hast speaketh his name and he shows up WITH A HOWIE CARR LINK.
    Unreal.
    I missed the whole LRRS thing wicked bad the Classic week. It was all I thought about this year. Racing was one of my life's best things........ I been researching Trials. I want to do that... I went to Colorado and did 6 months of ski instructing the winter before last. Worked at Keystone full time. Skied 10 different areas. Copper is awesome. And the smaller areas. Loved it. Enjoying my Gunstock winters too. I have no desire to debate in here. Maybe post some songs here & there. ......What are you doing for motorcycle fun? LRRS? Trackdays?

1 Not allowed!
    May the road rise to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, May the sun shine warm upon your face.

Netra enduros, roaming around on my new-to-me wee.
    Lots of bicycles.
    I’ve ridden copper a bunch, I used to have a homie that lived there. I like that it lacks the doucheyness of some of the bigger joints out west, the brecks and vails and such.

1 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

One of the LRRS techs is getting into trials. I might have to tag along for an event to check it out.

1 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    One of the LRRS techs is getting into trials. I might have to tag along for an event to check it out.
    I will be going to the Hoosick event next Sunday. My first event. No bike yet. I tried a motocross and a hare scramble. Not good at all.

0 Not allowed!

Administration chooses to "exercise enforcement discretion" for the next 2 years when enforcing restrictions on campaign contributors.
    Here and I thought this administration was bound by the law. It was when it locked kids up away from their parents.

0 Not allowed!

This will be an interesting one to watch. These aren't new trucks, they're remans, the law has always been that the emissions / safety standards in place at the time of the VIN stamping is what's in effect, so I can see where there is a question as to the legality of an in house EPA reg putting a clamp on that vs congress passing a new law. If it is legal, that could make things interesting for individuals, that sweet classic car project you just revived, yeah, it now needs to meet modern safety and emissions standards, and you have to prove it (hope you made 5 identical copies for crash testing) to get it back on the road. I expect there to be a legal challenge to this policy shift and look forward to reading the rulings when they come down the pipeline.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook

I think your conclusions are a bit of a stretch...

1 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

These aren't new trucks, they're remans..
    Trucks are new. Drivetrains are what are reman'ed.

This is an blatant attempt to side-step emissions requirements.

To put it into context:
    One year’s worth of truck sales was estimated to release 13 times as much nitrogen oxide as all of the Volkswagen diesel cars with fraudulent emissions controls, a scheme that resulted in a criminal case against the company and more than $4 billion in fines.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Trucks are new. Drivetrains are what are reman'ed.

This is an blatant attempt to side-step emissions requirements.

To put it into context:
    Yarp, remanned around an existing VIN. Loophole or not, it's been existing LAW, a policy/regulation was enacted to try and close it. The legal question now is if the policy/regulation can override underlying LAW, or if you need to go through the lawmaking process to close it.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook

Yarp, remanned around an existing VIN. Loophole or not, it's been existing LAW, a policy/regulation was enacted to try and close it. The legal question now is if the policy/regulation can override underlying LAW, or if you need to go through the lawmaking process to close it.
    Yarp, remanned around an existing NEWER VIN, with an OLDER drivetrain that does not comply with the regulations that match the age of the VIN.

The issue is that these are older drivetrains in newer chassis, *using the newer chassis' VIN*. The usual principle is that the vehicle must comply with the regulations in effect when the VIN was manufactured (as you note: "the law has always been that the emissions / safety standards in place at the time of the VIN stamping is what's in effect) and these trucks do not do so. There was a special *exemption* from obeying the normal law, to allow this in limited amounts of 300/year, and that limit has now been set aside.

This is not like making your "sweet classic car project you just revived, yeah, it now needs to meet modern safety and emissions standards"; if the VIN of that project is old, there would be no effect from the regulation. This is like the law saying it's OK for a few people to ignore smog requirements and put a vintage Hemi engine in their recent Dodge Chargers, as long as too many people don't do it. And now Trump is saying "yeah, go ahead and do that as much as you want".

Even as a libertarian, I can see where pollution laws can make sense, and how this change does not make sense.

PhilB

4 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Gliders are up to 55x more polluting than new trucks. Why even bother having emissions laws? It's idiotic.

0 Not allowed!
    '03 Porsche 911, '05 KTM 300 EXC, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Honda CRF 250R, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

It's another gov't bastardization of a law by skirting the intent and going the direction that it wasn't written to cover. Trump is not the first admin to do this, won't be the last.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    Yarp, remanned around an existing NEWER VIN, with an OLDER drivetrain that does not comply with the regulations that match the age of the VIN.

The issue is that these are older drivetrains in newer chassis, *using the newer chassis' VIN*. The usual principle is that the vehicle must comply with the regulations in effect when the VIN was manufactured (as you note: "the law has always been that the emissions / safety standards in place at the time of the VIN stamping is what's in effect) and these trucks do not do so. There was a special *exemption* from obeying the normal law, to allow this in limited amounts of 300/year, and that limit has now been set aside.
    Determining a New vs. Used Vehicle From a Glider Kit Rebuild

Note - I'm not arguing for / against, just pointing out that this is a regulation vs law process.

The glider kits reuse the existing VIN of the vehicle the powertrain is taken from, NOT a NEW VIN. This is why they're allowed to use the old VIN's year of MFG to determine what emissions rules they operate under.

Originally there was no law restrictions on this process. You're not creating a new vehicle, you're refreshing it. The EPA Greenhouse Gas Phase 2 regulations finalized in October 2016 put in a requirement for these glider kits to meet emissions regs for the year they are assembled. Caps on production under the old rules would kick in for 2017, with phase outs cutting all old engine use by 2021. This reg had immediate pushback in congress, now the executive has acted in response.

Again, I'm very curious to see how this plays out.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook

Determining a New vs. Used Vehicle From a Glider Kit Rebuild

Note - I'm not arguing for / against, just pointing out that this is a regulation vs law process.

The glider kits reuse the existing VIN of the vehicle the powertrain is taken from, NOT a NEW VIN. This is why they're allowed to use the old VIN's year of MFG to determine what emissions rules they operate under.

Originally there was no law restrictions on this process. You're not creating a new vehicle, you're refreshing it. The EPA Greenhouse Gas Phase 2 regulations finalized in October 2016 put in a requirement for these glider kits to meet emissions regs for the year they are assembled. Caps on production under the old rules would kick in for 2017, with phase outs cutting all old engine use by 2021. This reg had immediate pushback in congress, now the executive has acted in response.

Again, I'm very curious to see how this plays out.
    Ah, I had misunderstood what was happening. The article that nhbubba posted about it lied about the practice to make it sound like what I thought it was, rather than what it is. It said "The glider truck concept began so the engines of relatively new trucks that had been involved in accidents could be transferred to new truck bodies." Which is false, as the old chassis must also be used to do this, thus NOT making it transferring an old engine into a new truck.

Apparently the real practice is to take a complete running old truck, and upgrade the cab and some other bits to more modern specs. So it still isn't like making your "sweet classic car project you just revived, yeah, it now needs to meet modern safety and emissions standards", but it might be like requiring your resto-mod to meet modern standards, which I agree would not be right.

Sorry I got that one wrong. I was misled by the article nhbubba cited.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by PhilB; 07-09-18 at 11:12 AM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    So they're putting an old engine in a newer truck, and changing the new truck's VIN to match the one the engine came out of? That's not rational, or reasonably legal.

PhilB
    I mean, you could at least read the link I gave that spells out the laws in question and how this works?

Quote Originally Posted by From the link I supplied
    Question: We are a truck equipment distributor and have been getting more requests lately to build on glider kit chassis. What certification responsibilities do we have when we add bodies and equipment to complete vehicles based on a glider chassis that we receive from our customers?

Answer: While glider kits are not a topic that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has written about extensively, your certification responsibilities are based on whether or not the vehicle will be considered “new” for purposes of compliance to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS).

The following part from the regulations (49 CFR Part 571.7(e) Combining new and used components) addresses what is considered to be a new versus a used vehicle based on the content of the major components: “When a new cab is used in the assembly of a truck, the truck will be considered newly manufactured for purposes of paragraph (a) of this section, the application of the requirements of this chapter, and the Act, unless the engine, transmission, and drive axle(s) (as a minimum) of the assembled vehicle are not new, and at least two of these components were taken from the same vehicle.”

This means that if the glider chassis you build on came with a new cab, then the completed vehicle will be considered new and require certification as any other new vehicle unless it has at least the minimum used content of the “engine, transmission and drive axle(s)” AND at least two of these are from the same used vehicle. If these conditions are met for the used content in the glider chassis, then the resulting vehicle would not be considered new, would not require certification and can effectively assume the identity of the previous used vehicle by inheriting its Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

This particular subject was addressed in a Federal Register notice from 2005 (Federal Register/Vol. 70, No. 165/Friday, Aug. 26, 2005/Proposed Rules): “In response to the concern regarding the use of glider kits and service cabs, this matter is addressed in 49 CFR 571.7(e), Combining new and used components. If a glider kit or a service cab were used to replace an original cab that had been damaged beyond repair, and the cab were fitted with at least two of the three components (engine, transmission, drive axles) from another vehicle, the resulting vehicle would not be considered newly manufactured and its VIN would be the same as that of the vehicle used to provide at least two of the three components.”
    As these vehicles are using the engine and transmission (and quite possibly axles as well) as per the law it reuses the same VIN as the donor truck as the bulk of the vehicle (the powertrain IS the bulk of a semi) has not been changed.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook

Surprised to see the vin tied to the powertrain rather than the chassis.

0 Not allowed!

That's specific to these large trucks where the 'chassis' really doesn't amount to much, couple beams and a cab dropped on top.

1 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook