Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 284 of 288 FirstFirst ... 204244264274275276277278279280281282283284285286287288 LastLast
Results 7,076 to 7,100 of 7179

Trump

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Re: Trump

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I have some bad news for you. You're living in a black pot. Remember that time our gov definitely didn't backdoor firmware, weaken encryption standards, basically wiretap the entire internet, have some role in the distribution of software designed to fuck with a uranium enrichment device, while playing puppet master to various regimes?

I get that China might be worse, but our hands aren't exactly clean.
    I totally get that, I was actually deeply involved in that project ( I did not know why they wanted such a massive private network at the time...) . That said, the stuff China is doing that bothers me has nothing to do with spying on the public.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I'd love to hear of any country that "won" a trade war. As in calculated benefit of winning vs calculated cost of just continuing with status quo.

You know, just show me a time in history at a large scale like this when the benefit was worth the pain, financially.
    From a economic point of view, this trade was is really stupid and unwinnable, but I think it's really great that it's encouraging other low wage nations to enter the high tech manufacturing realm and compete with China. China has a monopoly on high tech manufacturing infrastructure and we should be second sourcing all the high tech stuff that they make and we can't live without.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    So you think that this trade war business is being effective?
    I am curious how you see threatening tariffs and then back-pedaling effecting industrial espionage or IP theft.

Also curious where you were on the TPP. That had some pretty good IP protections, didn't it? One thing this administration has managed to follow through on was renege on the TPP.
    It's probably not as effective as I am hoping it will be, but it's better than doing nothing, even if it's totally by accident. That said, I am also confident that the stable genius will screw it up and combine the suffering he caused with a terrible deal that somehow strengthens China and weakens us.

I don't know enough about TPP to offer any meaningful opinion. Truth is I don't know a whole lot about trading with China in general, but I have worked with joint ventures on leading edge technology an awful lot and have witnessed some incredibly sketchy stuff that made me wish we had a better trading/business partners. The willingness to give away trade secrets for short term cost savings in this country is disturbing.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by stoinkythepig; 09-19-19 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    I don't give a shit about the trade deficit with any country, I just want to send less money to China in particular. I don't want to help their economy or give them technology since they are acting like an enemy. Like I said, I don't think Trump understands why this trade war is (IMO) good, I am just glad he's doing it fro my own reasons. I could be way off on China's intentions, but I don't think I am. We should not be helping to make China stronger right now.
    Economic isolation does absolutely nothing to prevent misbehavior by states. Look at North Korea for proof...

Among the best ways for ensure states behave with one another is to make them economically interdependent. (This is why the EU works.)

1 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Don't worry about China's world domination by military spending, we still spend over 2.5 times more than them...

0 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    That said, the stuff China is doing that bothers me has nothing to do with spying on the public.
    Right, but our government's actions have also harmed our global reputation by meddling with commercial products. External buyers are now justifiably concerned about buying US commercial IT equipment, or using US-based IT services. You don't like what China's doing with not valuing our intellectual property, but our government doesn't have a lot of respect for our own.

1 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

I am someone who personally was involved with China using monopolistic actions to force USA companies ( and me)
    out of business. A year later prices were back where the USA companies would have still survived

0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

I saw posted numerous places yesterday that we’ve spent more on farm bailouts from the trade war than we did on the auto industry bailout in 09.
    This leaves out how much we would’ve spent on farmers’ welfare anyways, but regardless, I don’t expect the farmers to pay it back like the car mfgs did.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Just buying votes in the red states. Nothing to see here. Welfare state. Handouts.

2 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Just buying votes in the red states. Nothing to see here. Welfare state. Handouts.
    Yep. Both parties do it, on a massive scale, which has a lot to do with our unsustainable debt as well. That's a big part of why we really need to develop some independent parties, give ourselves some decent alternatives.

Now we're most likely looking, for the next election, at Trump/Biden, Trump/Warren, or Trump-Pence/Biden-Warren. How crappy do our "choices" have to keep being, for how long, before people start to Wake TF Up?

PhilB

0 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    How crappy do our "choices" have to keep being, for how long, before people start to Wake TF Up?

PhilB
    Have you looked in the comment section of literally *any* public Facebook post? This is a tribal country, people don't need help from Big R & D to go hard left or right, they want to go there, its safe and warm and you have lots of people to reaffirm your idiocy.

It could be a post about cookies, one person say they don't like chocolate chips and end up getting called a libtard for it.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by loudbeard; 09-24-19 at 11:38 AM.
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Have you looked in the comment section of literally *any* public Facebook post? This is a tribal country, people don't need help from Big R & D to go hard left or right, they want to go there, its safe and warm and you have lots of people to reaffirm your idiocy.
    Just be glad you're not on North East Shooters...

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Just be glad you're not on North East Shooters...
    Hah. I'd probably get vertigo if I went into that echo chamber...

3 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I love seeing alternate echo chambers to compare and contrast. Case in point, NESR vs WERA. Similar clientele (former and current racers) but hoooo boy are they polar opposites politically.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel / Warp9 Racing
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I love seeing alternate echo chambers to compare and contrast. Case in point, NESR vs WERA. Similar clientele (former and current racers) but hoooo boy are they polar opposites politically.
    Oh yeah? I feel like it’s a pretty decent 50-50 split here. Am I missing something?

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Oh yeah? I feel like it’s a pretty decent 50-50 split here. Am I missing something?
    I'd put both forums at about 80/20 in one direction or the other. There are strong individual voices bucking the trends in each, but it feels to me like there are strong leans overall numerically.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook

are you talking about people that support the current occupant of the whitehouse, or people that actually lean toward one side or the other?

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

are you talking about people that support the current occupant of the whitehouse, or people that actually lean toward one side or the other?
    At the moment it tends to be support for / against Trump where most of the political discussion goes to eventually these days. I also see it reflected on FB.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    At the moment it tends to be support for / against Trump where most of the political discussion goes to eventually these days. I also see it reflected on FB.
    You made two different points then, or you’re intentionally trying to confuse me, which is working.
    Being on opposite sides of the political spectrum has fuck all to do with supporting the president or not, in this specific case.
    You can be a conservative and vehemently oppose trump. All it takes is a literal crumb of integrity.
    Again, am I missing something?

3 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

No Chip. Conservatives now are all about massive gubmint spending, exploding national debt, and zero accountability/transparency from their elected officials.

Don't you understand? They just change everything they believe in for whichever of their sports team is most likely going to win. Cause it's not about the country, it's about winning.

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

You made two different points then, or you’re intentionally trying to confuse me, which is working.
    Being on opposite sides of the political spectrum has fuck all to do with supporting the president or not, in this specific case.
    You can be a conservative and vehemently oppose trump. All it takes is a literal crumb of integrity.
    Nope, you're not missing anything, which is why I clarified specifying that at the moment, discussions on both forums that may start on one topic and goes political tends to devolve down to trump, and at this time WERA and NESR are polar opposites on that topic. In the past, when we didn't have Trump as the largest mass in the room to pull all discussions in to, NESR to me has leaned liberal with a small number of loud libertarians and conservatives. The WERA forum leaned hard conservative with again, a small number of loud libertarians and liberals. The dichotomy is much more apparent at the moment, but I attribute a lot of that to the political volume in general all around us going up. I could try and guess party affiliations but for the most part I ignore them, and both seem to be fluid at times with what they're for or against so I just skip that detail as a waste of time.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook

I feel like there’s a decimal off in your analysis. I use that analogy because you treat everything like a math equation.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I feel like there’s a decimal off in your analysis. I use that analogy because you treat everything like a math equation.
    Heh, fair, and it is just my assessment, which will be different from someone else's, I'm not trying to paint it as the one true view.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook

I have met many, many conservative people. I can count the number of anti-Trump conservatives on one hand and still have fingers to spare.

I think conservatives would rather an atrociously bad Republican president than a competent Democrat. I would like to think (but have no way of knowing) that liberals would rather a competent Republican than an atrocious Democrat.

0 Not allowed!

No Chip. Conservatives now are all about massive gubmint spending, exploding national debt, and zero accountability/transparency from their elected officials.

Don't you understand? They just change everything they believe in for whichever of their sports team is most likely going to win. Cause it's not about the country, it's about winning.
    Replace conservatives with politicians and I think you hit the nail on the head.

2 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R